PCMS Datafit

Add Photos

John Court

Decent company

Software Developer (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH (US)

ProsThe pay is pretty good for the area. The culture and people tend to be laid back. Releases are well planned and managed, so there isn't a death-march to the end of each one.

ConsYou won't be writing cutting-edge software here and you'll be enjoying a loud cube-farm as you do it. Some of the development tools used are ancient.

I enjoyed interacting with the employees and customers but upper management was detached and did not provide a vision.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH (US)

ProsSome extremely talented people.
    Top tier product offering.

ConsLack of leadership and direction.
    Internal systems are sub-par.
    Ineffective training program.
    No clear corporate vision.
    Insufficient staffing levels to meet customer needs and profitability targets.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to stop investigating tangents and focus on their core business.

Great place to work

Senior Developer (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH (US)

ProsLearn a lot of cutting edge tech

Consyou gotta pay for the cofee

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great People, Terrible leadership

Software Developer (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH (US)

ProsPCMS hires some of the best people in the industry. The Work environment is very friendly and , collaborative. Your team becomes like a family that you would do anything for. PCMS has national recognition and is privately owned so it has been able to survive and thrive during the economic downturn.

ConsManagement has no foresight and employs a reactive, instead of a proactive mentality. Problems are ignored until they become debilitating. There is always an irate customer that needs to appeased in fear of losing business. Deadlines are missed on one project because resources were stolen to meet the deadlines of another project. Clients are routinely over promised functionality by sales and high level management, and then staff are worked long hours to try to come close to what was promised.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour best asset is your people but because you won't treat them like that they are leaving in droves. Priceless knowledge has already walked out the door because you fail to change the culture. Everyone knows the issues; please stop pretending like there are no issues to try and save face. Admit when you're wrong, and go to bat for your people more often. People need to know that their work is being appreciated, and that they matter. People need to be treated like they have value, and not just like they are numbers on a resource board. Stop over promising and under achieving. Unless things change, the people who have made PCMS one of the best retail vendors are going to be making other companies the best in their respective industries.

Excellent place to start out in a developer role

Software Developer (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH (US)

ProsLots of exposure to different technologies. Flexible work environment. Small groups of highly communicative peers. 100% Java and Agile software development takes advantage of modern software design practices.

ConsCommon to be shifted from project to project because of the small size of the company.

Great People, Good Product, Good Promise, Mediocre Follow-through

Software Developer (Current Employee)

ProsThe VISION software suite is a good product overall, making discussing it with customers more positive and working on it more enjoyable . The company has been working to refine it's direction and process over the past several years, which actually has paid off in many respects. Good people to work with and for.

ConsThe negatives are often caused by bad practices repeatedly occurring, which though recognized by the upper levels usually come with promises of change that doesn't happen. Resources get shifted mid-stream for last minute pushes on one project's deadlines, leading to a domino effect on the other projects. The US office appears to be allowed less input and so is able to contribute less.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to what's going on with the employees, not just the customers. Happier staff means happier clients.

Good

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Deerfield, IL (US)

ProsProduct company with vast opportunities to grow. Lot of opportunities for the Point of sale field as PCMS is starting to get good customers including big retailers.

Consthey operate off of cincinnati and have no other offices in US.

Worked for PCMS Datafit? Contribute to the Community!