PNC Financial Services Group
www.pnc.com Pittsburgh, PA 5000+ Employees

PNC Financial Services Group Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

PNC Financial Services Group President and Chief Executive Officer William S. Demchak

William S. Demchak

Pros:
  • "The company allows most employees to have good work/life balance"
    in 75 reviews
  • "Great starting salary with good benefits and exposure to senior management"
    in 50 reviews
Cons:
  • "bad upper management, lots of interest in screwing the customer to make lots money"
    in 41 reviews
  • "There is no work-life balance or care for the well-being of their employees"
    in 16 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

PNC getting bigger

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group

ProsGreat people who care about to the company. Constantly expanding.

ConsMany different layers of authorities.

well

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group part-time

Pros-friendly environment
-professional but lay back

Cons-computerize challenges
-stay with in policy and procedures
-saying the right words

Growing pains

Mid-level Manager (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWorking in the headquarters city, I have visibility with senior executives.
This is still a relationship bank, so it isn't as cutthroat as the largest banks both between employees and with customers.

ConsLike all of its peers, PNC is going through tremendous change due to the regulatory environment both in retail and corporate businesses.
PNC is evolving from a small company to a big company, and there are bound to be growing pains along the way. Some managers still think small. Some new executives brought in to help with the growth don't fit into the culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it easier for those of us in the businesses to get what we need to grow our business from technology professionals without long waits and cumbersome processes.

Slow onboarding process in the South

PNC PCG Relationship Manager (Current Employee)
Birmingham, AL (US)

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than a year

ProsClient Experience is very important to me with all of my clients.

ConsVery low market share. Really need to do more to add market share to the Alabama market.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp your new employees get more acclimated.

Not bad, but could be much better!

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group

ProsTremendous exposure to the businesses and opportunity to gain lots of experience. Decent benefits and lots of job security.

ConsCompensation is below market rate and lacking in light of responsibilities and workload. Organization is run very thin to keep costs down.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to treat your employees with respect. Consider bringing salaries up to market rate, or at the very least, offer incentive compensation to non-supervisory personnel to boost morale and increase employee engagement. After all, an organization is only as good as its people.

Look elsewhere

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsWork-life balance is ok. Except not flexible. Management expects you to be in your seat 8 hours a day. Compared to other industries 8 hours a day is good, but management makes it hard to take doctor's appointments and run errands and make up the time.

ConsTerrible raises, in a banner year at PNC a good raise is 2%. My manager told me she tried to give me a 2% raise but leadership cut my raise to 0.6%. I don't trust my manager. I received a "Meets All Expectations" at my year end review. In my development meeting with my manager, I asked them how I could get a better rating next year and what I needed to do to get promoted. Their response was that I was doing a great job and I just need to keep doing what i'm doing. There is no framework in place to understand how to get promoted or how to increase your raises. It is all up to the discretion of your manager.

Internal politics is so frustrating. Department Directors fight with each other instead of cooperating to get work done.

Vacation time expires each year and you cannot roll over unused time. I have a family and it makes it difficult to plan vacations because I need to have some reserve vacation time in case a child gets sick. PNC needs to move to PTO give people more vacation and allow indviduals to roll over at least 1 week of vacation per year.

Advice to Senior ManagementMiddle Managers need serious training on how to be effective and develop employees. Technology is terrible, PNC work computers are still operating on Windows XP and Office 2007. And Lotus notes email versus Microsoft outlook.

Not as work/life balance as they promise

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee)
Brick, NJ (US)

ProsDepending on the branch you'll have a manager who really cares about your advancement. The vacation for full timers isn't awful, and the paid holidays are nice.

ConsUpper management ( higher than branch manager) doesn't always stick to their promises/objectives. Difficult to move up in the branches, raises are not worth it. New incentive plan is brutal, and the insurance is awful.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on your employees and less on your sales goals.

Pretty good, and getting better.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time

ProsNote: I work at corporate headquarters, so these may not apply to branches, operations, or other customer facing areas.
Depending on who you work for, work/life balance is very good.
In spite of what some may suggest, the opportunity to move around within the organization is good for performers.
They still do merit based pay raises.
There is a building focus on improvement.
For a bank, good job security. FTE reduction is always a last resort - the reason you haven't seen the headlines regarding layoffs for PNC like you have for other large financial institutions.

ConsTechnology is still a ways off from where it needs to be, but they are working on it. Example - no wifi, and they are only just this year upgrading from Windows XP.
The culture is very set in its ways and does not react well to change. This results in a lot of under-utilized human capital. Example - finance experts spend far more time slicing and dicing in excel to transform data than actually conducting financial analysis.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease emphasis on continued training.

Nice company

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group

ProsGreat work/life balance. My manager was awesome and recognition was very important to her.

ConsVery new bank to the area and there is little room for advancement. Hard to make more money, I moved up two paid grades and only received the annual raise for my performance review.

All in all a fairly good company to work for.

Collections Specialist (Former Employee)
Brecksville, OH (US)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlexible schedule, great incentive program

ConsManagement places much too much faith in the work coach, human resource employees are out of control.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to do your homework on how some people are able to obtain their goals so much easier than others.

Worked for PNC Financial Services Group? Contribute to the Community!

PNC Financial Services Group Videos

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PNC Financial Services Group reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for PNC Financial Services Group CEO William S. Demchak. All 888 reviews are posted anonymously by PNC Financial Services Group employees.