PNC Financial Services Group
www.pnc.com Pittsburgh, PA 5000+ Employees

PNC Financial Services Group Reviews

Updated Apr 19, 2014

PNC Financial Services Group President and Chief Executive Officer William S. Demchak

William S. Demchak

Pros:
  • "The company allows most employees to have good work/life balance"
    in 75 reviews
  • "Great starting salary with good benefits and exposure to senior management"
    in 50 reviews
Cons:
  • "bad upper management, lots of interest in screwing the customer to make lots money"
    in 41 reviews
  • "There is no work-life balance or care for the well-being of their employees"
    in 16 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to work. Great atmosphere.

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time

ProsWork life balance
Management

ConsWork life balance
Low pay

Great place to work if you plan on having a career in the banking industry

Bank Teller (Current Employee)
Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for less than a year

ProsThe management that I've worked with have been very accommodating of employees' lives outside of work, the customers are generally very cordial and fun to talk to, and there is a lot of upward mobility. It's a wonderful place to build business and personal relationships with the community. The quality of your experience there will definitely depend on the people you work with.

ConsThere is relatively low pay and incredibly stringent sales goals to meet. Oftentimes, there is poor communication between district managers and the branches they work with. There also tends to be pretty high turnover, as many people are just looking for work while they go to school.

Very easy going

Intern (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group as an intern for more than a year

ProsEveryome is very friendly and open. Trainig was substantial. Management always received and appreciated comments and complaints.

ConsIt felt very difficult to move up the chain. People were slightly anti-social, for the lack of a better word.

well

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group part-time

Pros-friendly environment
-professional but lay back

Cons-computerize challenges
-stay with in policy and procedures
-saying the right words

Growing pains

Mid-level Manager (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWorking in the headquarters city, I have visibility with senior executives.
This is still a relationship bank, so it isn't as cutthroat as the largest banks both between employees and with customers.

ConsLike all of its peers, PNC is going through tremendous change due to the regulatory environment both in retail and corporate businesses.
PNC is evolving from a small company to a big company, and there are bound to be growing pains along the way. Some managers still think small. Some new executives brought in to help with the growth don't fit into the culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it easier for those of us in the businesses to get what we need to grow our business from technology professionals without long waits and cumbersome processes.

Not bad, but could be much better!

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group

ProsTremendous exposure to the businesses and opportunity to gain lots of experience. Decent benefits and lots of job security.

ConsCompensation is below market rate and lacking in light of responsibilities and workload. Organization is run very thin to keep costs down.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to treat your employees with respect. Consider bringing salaries up to market rate, or at the very least, offer incentive compensation to non-supervisory personnel to boost morale and increase employee engagement. After all, an organization is only as good as its people.

Satisfactory but left a lot to be desired

Teller I (Current Employee)
Louisville, KY (US)

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat team, a lot of opportunity for incentive pay and bonuses

ConsTerrible base compensation, intense focus on sales

Great place to learn.

Branch Manager (Former Employee)
Columbus, OH (US)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBenefits are good. Requires long hours and perfection.

ConsWorking with local management. Management will do what ever it takes to make themselves look good. They do not care about employees.

Look elsewhere

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsWork-life balance is ok. Except not flexible. Management expects you to be in your seat 8 hours a day. Compared to other industries 8 hours a day is good, but management makes it hard to take doctor's appointments and run errands and make up the time.

ConsTerrible raises, in a banner year at PNC a good raise is 2%. My manager told me she tried to give me a 2% raise but leadership cut my raise to 0.6%. I don't trust my manager. I received a "Meets All Expectations" at my year end review. In my development meeting with my manager, I asked them how I could get a better rating next year and what I needed to do to get promoted. Their response was that I was doing a great job and I just need to keep doing what i'm doing. There is no framework in place to understand how to get promoted or how to increase your raises. It is all up to the discretion of your manager.

Internal politics is so frustrating. Department Directors fight with each other instead of cooperating to get work done.

Vacation time expires each year and you cannot roll over unused time. I have a family and it makes it difficult to plan vacations because I need to have some reserve vacation time in case a child gets sick. PNC needs to move to PTO give people more vacation and allow indviduals to roll over at least 1 week of vacation per year.

Advice to Senior ManagementMiddle Managers need serious training on how to be effective and develop employees. Technology is terrible, PNC work computers are still operating on Windows XP and Office 2007. And Lotus notes email versus Microsoft outlook.

Slow onboarding process in the South

PNC PCG Relationship Manager (Current Employee)
Birmingham, AL (US)

ProsClient Experience is very important to me with all of my clients.

ConsVery low market share. Really need to do more to add market share to the Alabama market.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp your new employees get more acclimated.

Worked for PNC Financial Services Group? Contribute to the Community!

PNC Financial Services Group Videos

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PNC Financial Services Group reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for PNC Financial Services Group CEO William S. Demchak. All 893 reviews are posted anonymously by PNC Financial Services Group employees.