PNC Financial Services Group
www.pnc.com Pittsburgh, PA 5000+ Employees

PNC Financial Services Group Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

PNC Financial Services Group President and Chief Executive Officer William S. Demchak

William S. Demchak

Pros:
  • "The company allows most employees to have good work/life balance"
    in 63 reviews
  • "Great starting salary with good benefits and exposure to senior management"
    in 49 reviews
Cons:
  • "bad upper management, lots of interest in screwing the customer to make lots money"
    in 39 reviews
  • "There is no work-life balance or care for the well-being of their employees"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Stressful

Supervisor (Former Employee)
Columbus, OH (US)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than 10 years

ProsTeh best thing about PNC is the benefits. Pay and incentive were good. Job was fun learned a lot about life cycles.

ConsPersonal growth is haltered unles you are in the click. If you are in the click you are set. Customer Service Surveys keep eveyone on edge daily. Upper Manangement tells you make it hapen does NOT give any coaching towards meeting Customer Service, just yells and has conf. calls daily if you are not meeitng the 5.00 quota.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have lost some really dedicated Employees with the Management style of the Columbus Area Upper Manangement. The Culture is fear of the Serveys. I do not reccomend the surveys go away just have the same criteria with all the departments.

Could be worse but could be a lot better

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group

ProsEasier to get hired here versus other banks. good work life-balance.

ConsLot of employees that do not know what they are doing.

Information Technology seriously lacking...but getting better...

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Cleveland, OH (US)

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere is a lot of room to move within the organization. Also, this is one of the rare companies that still offers a pension. Health care is decent and 401K, they match 1 for 1 up to 4% of your salary. Ability to work remote 1 or 2 days a week. Great benefits!

ConsAside from the big business benefits, the IT management is awful and directly responsible for numerous problems with infrastrcuture. PNC is a cheap company when it comes to supporting their IT infrastructure (just look at their website....hello 90s) but is getting better now that management has been cleaned out. They will only get better, but it's going to take a few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management: keep holding middle and lower management accountable. They will try to hide and blame others...keep the focus on them. Technicians follow the attitude of their leaders and right now, the attitude in IT couldn't be worse.

Working as a teller

Teller (Current Employee)

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than a year

ProsHours are decent
Compensated for referrals
Coworkers are generally pleasant

ConsVery low pay
No overtime
Hard to move upwards
Many platform workers are extremely overworked

Advice to Senior ManagementThe back office workers are very condescending as if they are frustrated with you for not knowing everything about their job when you ask them for anything.

Higher pay would be excellent too, but PNC is one of the lowest paying banks in the industry.

Better not make one single mistake in retail

Branch Manager (Current Employee)

ProsBranch Manger Salary is competitive, bonus is nice.

ConsSalaries of all other retail branch positions are much lower than the industry average. Their is a duty to report every single thing, therefore there is never any level of trust between coworkers because everything that you say and do can be misconstrued as a dishonest act, or some how unethical. Management, loss prevention, and Employee relations are robotic and cold, as they try to mitigate risk of lawsuits in a large company.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain good people, and show them that you care. If they are not stealing or loosing money then you should consider more employee development than just automatic termination.

If you are a follower, PNC is for you

Financial Sales Consultant (Former Employee)
Birmingham, AL (US)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than a year

ProsDecent benefits, cool products, good concepts training

ConsTerrible compensation plan, unrealistic goals, pressure to meet unrealistic goals, out of touch with southern culture, etc. I worked in the southeast region and our management didn't have a clue. They talk about how much they want to build relationships with clients and it's a load of it. All they care about is getting checking accounts so they can get NSF fees to make money. You do not have good incentive to open as many checking accounts as they demand. If you work in a big city in New England, this might be a good bank to work for, but in the South, pick a credit union if you want to work at a bank. I saw several female employees cry because of the pressure from this job, and you do not get paid enough to put up with everything you have to put up with.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire a bunch of regional managers that are all "yes" men. If someone doesn't agree with a regional manager, they are fired even if they are right.

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time

Prosspeak your goals and stay focused

Consstay on top of your goals

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFriendly co-workers, and pay potential is great if you are willing to work hard!

ConsLots of selling involved with most positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementNever stop the training.

Great overall experience, career building opportunity.

Branch Manager (Former Employee)
Middletown, NJ (US)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAwesome company and good philosophy.

ConsCertain senior management not in tune with company philosophy.

PNC is a great company with opportunity to advance.

Relationship Manager (Former Employee)
Cleveland, OH (US)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe team leaders are genuinely concerned about your training and job performance.
The pay is probably commensurate with comparable banks.

ConsThe hiring process is too long. Mine took nearly 90 days from first contact to offer letter.
You need to be in your present position for at least one year in order to be considered for another position.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline the hiring process.

Worked for PNC Financial Services Group? Contribute to the Community!

PNC Financial Services Group Videos

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PNC Financial Services Group reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for PNC Financial Services Group CEO William S. Demchak. All 882 reviews are posted anonymously by PNC Financial Services Group employees.