PNC Financial Services Group

Updated 24 November 2014
1,222 Reviews
3.2
1,222 Reviews

PNC Financial Services Group President and Chief Executive Officer William S. Demchak
William S. Demchak

Pros
  • If you work anyplace other than retail banking PNC values employee work life balance (in 111 reviews)

• Great starting salary with good benefits and exposure to senior management (in 83 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance could be better depending on what department you are in (in 26 reviews)

• upper management no clue what's going on with the new universal branch idea (in 56 reviews)

More Highlights

PNC Bank

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work, room for improvement

Cons

advancement can be slow and tedious

advancement can be slow and tedious

good place to work

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group

Pros

solid place to work, decent salary

Cons

always very busy, tough work life

Branch Manager

Former Employee - Branch Manager
    Former Employee - Branch Manager

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time

Pros

Good technology platform compared to other financial institutions.

Cons

Regional Manager was ineffective and needs polishing on people skills.

Truly care about your employees.

It's okay

Current Employee - Part-time Teller
    Current Employee - Part-time Teller

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You work in a Bank, it is nice to dress up for work.

Cons

It's okay, only complaint is that it gets boring fast.

Great reputation but bad management and a lot of favoritism

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time

Pros

Great product and technology. Lot of branches for convenience

Cons

Management that doesn't practice what they preached.

Good job overall, needs some stronger management.

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group

Pros

Good start point in the company, offers a jump to just about anywhere. Team managers are very supportive.

Cons

Lots of pulling in many directions, everyone wants you to do everything. If you're not careful you could lose focus on the investment aspect.

Clear up the job responsibilities with other branch employees and let the FSs shine. Compliance holds them back for BS reasons.

Alot of work for remarkably average pay.

Current Employee - Bank Teller in West Orange, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Bank Teller in West Orange, NJ (US)

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Many locations in my state.

Cons

Absolutely dismal health insurance coverage

Try to level with your employees.

Employee

Current Employee - Employee
    Current Employee - Employee

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good place to work for if you follow their guidelines.

Cons

Depends on the department. Too much micro-management in my department. If you are not an officer who can bring in revenue, you are a second class citizen who ideas are not valued. Opportunities for advancement are tough and usually a lateral move. Sometimes the most skilled person with experience will get passed over for a promotion for a candidate with less or no experience because they graduated from the same school as the hiring manager or they are related to an officer or executive or the candidate has strong external connections that could bring revenue to the department. They boast they are the technology leader yet they are only fooling themselves with that belief. Even though they are making profit, you don't see the success of their profits. Raises are not substantial and bonuses are non existent.

Quit thinking about the bottom line and listen to your personnel. Just because they don't have a VP, SVP or EVP title, you would be amazed how knowledgeable the non-officers are. It might help you and the company as a whole.

Mediocre at Best

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Salary isn't terrible if you are being hired from OUTSIDE the company. Everyone cares for the well-being of each other in our work group.

Cons

Archaic systems/infrastructure when PNC claims to be a technology leader. Entire bank is understaffed which causes disengagement of current employees, then in turn they leave because they aren't compensated to do the additional work load. Training & Development is apparently an initiative but is just as disorganized as the rest of the corporate culture.

Start with ENABLING your workforce. Seriously, Lotus Notes? I understand some of the concerns with functionality because they were too cheap to invest in the licenses for Microsoft Office (thus only allowing a couple computers in each office to have Microsoft Office!), but suck it up and invest in technology... isn't that we are asking of our clients?

Next, actually organize the training... this is BANKING... are we really moving towards an experiential learning environment... so we can tell clients we are learning as we go along?...Have new hires go through extensive 3-4 week training classes before they step foot in the branch. One reason for the 70% turnover is because people get frustrated once they arrive in the branch because they have no idea how to function.

"Sorry Mr. Customer, I understand your frustration with it taking 45 minutes for me to figure out how to open this account on a system that constantly crashes because our infrastructure can't support more relevant and efficient technology.. but I'm really just winging it here... I would have someone shadow me and assist but we can't seem to retain the employees we recruited from Target to handle your finances."

Admittedly, the bank is moving in the right direction... but it's like watching paint dry. We have already been behind for a while in regards to being a Regional bank... so not only do we need to catch up to where we should have been 5 years ago, we need to step it up to be competitive.

Let's stop limiting ourselves as an organization. We can do so much better, the potential is there.

I disapprove of Bill Demchak only because his lack of urgency.

learning experience

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

equal oppurtunity for non targets

Cons

unorganized, they didnt start on time

PNC Financial Services Group Photos