PNC Financial Services Group Reviews

Updated 28 August 2014
1,083 Reviews

3.2
1,083 Reviews

PNC Financial Services Group President and Chief Executive Officer William S. Demchak
William S. Demchak

Pros
  • If you work anyplace other than retail banking PNC values employee work life balance (in 92 reviews)

• Great starting salary with good benefits and exposure to senior management (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management no clue what's going on with the new universal branch idea (in 48 reviews)

• Work life balance could be better depending on what department you are in (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

PNC bank was a great company to work for.

Current Employee - Debt Collector  in  Oshtemo, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Debt Collector in Oshtemo, MI (US)

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Unlimited growth potential and good pay

Cons

Terrible management and lack of communication

Ability to Grow

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  Asheville, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Asheville, NC (US)

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people and customers I interact with everyday make this job one of the best I've ever had. You have the ability to learn so much and extend a simple job into a possible career. I've worked for other banks before and meeting your sales goals is a constant stuggle and they threaten you with termination if you don't meet them but not at PNC. They reward you for your hard work and your bonuses are limitless.

Cons

The hours can be a little tiring and lack of staff if only one person leaves it's difficult to say the least to be able to cover your branch with no help able to be offered. The pay could be higher but you have the ability to make it up with bonuses and also with experience

Network Network Network

Client Service Rep

Former Employee - Client Service Representative  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Client Service Representative in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent pay, benefits and long term savings plans.

Cons

Very stressful. Always have to meet more and more expectations. Watched your every minute used.

They need to ease up and realize that you are not 5 years old and had to qualify for this job.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Changing of the guard..and not for the better

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  South Bend, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in South Bend, IN (US)

Pros

Good health benefits
    Good teamwork and great environment (varies from branch to branch)
    Good to get your foot in the door if interested in the financial industry

Cons

Low pay
    Cropping incentives more and more
    Growth opportunity depends in the area where you are, very limited within your own branch. When you change branch for a possible promotion, 70% depends more on how your manager sells you rather than your numbers

Since April 2013, a new CEO Mr. Demchak is trying by all means to make the bank more profitable by sacrificing its long established "Main Street Bank" Culture. I got hired in a time when I got to see the before and after of all the changes implemented across the entire footprint. In any sales position, you used to be able to get great incentives and bonuses as a reward for your hard work. Now, there is a "bucket" system implemented, where you have to meet the minimum sales in a certain way with a huge cut to bonuses and not much desire to go the extra mile. I had two managers so far; One was a great manager, (still with the Main Street Bank culture) that coached me and gave me the opportunity to prove myself and grow professionally. The other was a newer manager, that clearly told me that there is not much growth opportunity, and by enforcing new rules you realize you are expected to do just the minimum, and that is good enough.

The Men of PNC

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good leaders, nice coworkers, training is offered and nice work environment. If you are a white male you have a great chance of success at PNC and a great career. For everyone else, you have a chance for a good job.

Cons

Men at PNC are seen as "high potential," they are given opportunities to build skills and put on a track to a success. Women's at PNC are seen as in need of "development plans" and "development opportunities," they are given opportunities to do more work to prove themselves and may get on the track to success, if lucky.

Recognize that talent and potential comes in many different packages, including genders, color, size and backgrounds. Stop managing talent like it is 1950, the company is missing the opportunity to grow leaders.

overall decent experience

Current Employee - Financial Specialist II  in  Columbus, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Specialist II in Columbus, OH (US)

Pros

Work life balance is very good

Cons

micro managment getting caught up in the minute details

Keep it up

Worked at PNC for a few years until family relocated.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits
    Opportunities for movement between divisions
    Nice facility

Cons

Management does not always address favoritism

Be sure to look at all employees and there work product.

Nice place to work, benefits could be better

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I really love the flexible schedule.

Cons

Benifits have just been slashed. High Deductable Health Care

A steady destination employer for many in Pittsburgh

Current Employee - Human Resources  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

Pros

Opportunity for career growth in some areas of the bank; consistent and steady performer in the financial services area; community awareness and involvement

Cons

Not a terribly progressive thought culture - many interested in maintaining status quo; new leaders from the outside have a very difficult time breaking down barriers; comp and benefits are not competitive outside of Pittsburgh; low-risk investment strategy has permeated into the people culture

Break down the siloes and focus on cross-functional development of employees - take some risks to develop employees and the business

A passionate culture entrentched in an outdated operating model

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time

Pros

Very relaxed work environment, PNC has a poor tracking system for employee attendance

Great opportunities for college grads, average pay/low responsibility means you can spend lots of time learning about the industry instead of doing grunt work.

Cons

Firm software (email, client management system, intraweb) - all are outdated and kill productivity

Overly diverse work force - stemming from the merger based growth over the past 7 years

The archaic nature of the systems means that productivity is strangled. I spend 2-3 hours a day manually entering information/dealing with system related issues that other institutions automate. I cannot see how PNC will become a market leader if they do not have the basic programs needed to do it. The fact that the company still uses Lotus notes as the primary email client is a joke.

Worked for PNC Financial Services Group? Contribute to the Community!