PNC Financial Services Group

Updated 18 September 2014
1,104 Reviews
3.2
1,104 Reviews

PNC Financial Services Group President and Chief Executive Officer William S. Demchak
William S. Demchak

Pros
  • If you work anyplace other than retail banking PNC values employee work life balance (in 92 reviews)

• Great starting salary with good benefits and exposure to senior management (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management no clue what's going on with the new universal branch idea (in 48 reviews)

• Work life balance could be better depending on what department you are in (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

PNC really seems to care about their people and spends a lot of time training them.

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group

Pros

PNC has great management that really cares about their employers. They do a good job of communicating expectations. Benefits are good and the office culture is excellent. They provide many opportunities for training and to grow together as a team with fellow associates. The work/life balance is excellent.

Cons

The incentive structure is less than wonderful and encourages employees to give customers products they don't really want or need. Management talks like employees are only supposed to sell based on customer's real needs, but the incentives and goal structures make it impossible not to push products.

Focus more on the quality of what is being sold by your associates and less on quantity. The current incentive plan encourages employees to open new accounts when all a customer really needs is an upgrade for instance. This costs the bank money, creates more work (and less convenience) for the client just so employees can meet their goals.

Great company to work for but position(s) can be difficult and underpaid

Current Employee - Loan Support Specialist II  in  Brecksville, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Loan Support Specialist II in Brecksville, OH (US)

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a great company to work for. They offer good vacation time, health benefits are decent, they have a great volunteer program that you're able to devote time to during work hours, they give back to the community, etc. Depending on your position, typically pretty laid back about time off, calling off, etc. Values family life.

Cons

Underpaid, you are held to the accountability that you will help develop new procedures and processes, train new employees, etc. but paid the minimum. Processes change very often by managers but never consulting the specialists (who do the job everyday).

I enjoy PNC Bank a lot, room for growth and advancement, friendly management, not too friendly customers though

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group part-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits are amazing, Part-Time employees get the same benefits as Full-Time, always available overtime

Cons

Working at the call center isn't as much.. fun, customers get very angry over the phone, calls are strictly monitored, everything you do on the phones is watched and recorded at all times

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company , with integrity , drive, and on the rise in growth and improvement

Current Employee - Operations Specialist  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

friendly to working mothers, great benefits.

Cons

old ways in the middle of an huge renovation.

stop micro managing

PNC bank was a great company to work for.

Current Employee - Debt Collector  in  Oshtemo, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Debt Collector in Oshtemo, MI (US)

Pros

Unlimited growth potential and good pay

Cons

Terrible management and lack of communication

Ability to Grow

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  Asheville, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Asheville, NC (US)

Pros

The people and customers I interact with everyday make this job one of the best I've ever had. You have the ability to learn so much and extend a simple job into a possible career. I've worked for other banks before and meeting your sales goals is a constant stuggle and they threaten you with termination if you don't meet them but not at PNC. They reward you for your hard work and your bonuses are limitless.

Cons

The hours can be a little tiring and lack of staff if only one person leaves it's difficult to say the least to be able to cover your branch with no help able to be offered. The pay could be higher but you have the ability to make it up with bonuses and also with experience

Network Network Network

Client Service Rep

Former Employee - Client Service Representative  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Client Service Representative in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent pay, benefits and long term savings plans.

Cons

Very stressful. Always have to meet more and more expectations. Watched your every minute used.

They need to ease up and realize that you are not 5 years old and had to qualify for this job.

Changing of the guard..and not for the better

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  South Bend, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in South Bend, IN (US)

Pros

Good health benefits
    Good teamwork and great environment (varies from branch to branch)
    Good to get your foot in the door if interested in the financial industry

Cons

Low pay
    Cropping incentives more and more
    Growth opportunity depends in the area where you are, very limited within your own branch. When you change branch for a possible promotion, 70% depends more on how your manager sells you rather than your numbers

Since April 2013, a new CEO Mr. Demchak is trying by all means to make the bank more profitable by sacrificing its long established "Main Street Bank" Culture. I got hired in a time when I got to see the before and after of all the changes implemented across the entire footprint. In any sales position, you used to be able to get great incentives and bonuses as a reward for your hard work. Now, there is a "bucket" system implemented, where you have to meet the minimum sales in a certain way with a huge cut to bonuses and not much desire to go the extra mile. I had two managers so far; One was a great manager, (still with the Main Street Bank culture) that coached me and gave me the opportunity to prove myself and grow professionally. The other was a newer manager, that clearly told me that there is not much growth opportunity, and by enforcing new rules you realize you are expected to do just the minimum, and that is good enough.

love the company and what they stand for.

Current Employee - FSC
    Current Employee - FSC

Pros

great hours and so far a low stress level.

Cons

the retail and telamarketing side of the job.

Friendly environment to work at.

Former Employee - Financial Sales Consultant  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Sales Consultant in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

The co-workers at PNC were friendly and very supportive, which made going to work a great experience. They would listen to your concerns and praise you on your accomplishments.

Cons

The only con I have about working at PNC is the salary. It was hard to live in Washington, DC off of a salary in the low 30's k.

I would try to be more realistic on the salary you give to your employees.

Worked for PNC Financial Services Group? Contribute to the Community!