PPL

Add Photos

PPL Chairman, President and CEO William H. Spence

William H. Spence

Great

Manager (Former Employee) Allentown, PA (US)

ProsGreat experience and great opportunities

ConsLack of benefits for senior management

Great place to work.

Manager (Former Employee) Allentown, PA (US)

ProsGreat work environment. Challenging work. Great benefits, Great pay.

ConsExpectations constantly change. You never know when your position will get cut. Valuable employees are let go due to random job cuts without the opportunity to apply for open positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should try harder to place good employees to open position rather than letting them go prematurely.

PPL has a great internship program

Co-Op (Former Employee) Allentown, PA (US)

ProsThe company really goes out of its way to hire a large number of interns and provide them with meaningful work experiences. The company encourages the interns to explore different areas of the firm and conduct informational interviews with current employees. The pay is excellent for a summer intern position, and many departments are looking to hire an intern that will eventually take a full-time position.

ConsThe intern positions widely vary throughout the company. While some interns are able to work on projects that provide them with meaningful work experiences, others spend a great deal of time sitting around because they do not have any assignments. Because the company encourages the various departments to hire summer interns, I think that some departments end up hiring an intern but do not have any work to give to them. Also, there are constantly "networking events" that the company puts on for the interns, but these events are boring and not particularly useful.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe networking events are not helpful.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Would be a nice company

Mechanical Foreman (Current Employee) Frackville, PA (US)

Prosvery good pay, and benefits .....

Consterrible work environment , good old boy system big time ..... a cut throat company

Advice to Senior Managementkeep your resume warm

PPL was great to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat People to work with

ConsManagement was starting to become less experienced and making poor decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn from employees and don't make decisions with your eyes closed and no evidence to back you up.

Co-op associate

Co-Op (Former Employee) Allentown, PA (US)

ProsFortune 500 company, high payand paid holidays.

ConsMost of management is unprofessional, condescending, and have stuffy attitudes. Many of the employees have worked there 10+ years and are close minded/set in their archaic way. They are suposedly military friendly, but only hires veterans to work in the power plant/blue collar type positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementDitch the condescending attitudes toward union employees and co-op associates.

Great place, really friendly

Co-Op (Current Employee) Allentown, PA (US)

ProsLife work balance, and a lot of support for workers trying to learn new skills. The workers really love what they do.

ConsWork may become a little boring and tedious after awhile. Need to motivate yourself a large part of the time.

Stable but no forward vision

Data Analyst (Current Employee) Allentown, PA (US)

ProsCoworkers are great, do very well at taking care of people and working through various issues to get the work requirement done. while I cannot speak to the union workers, on the nonunion side the management tends to stay flexible with work schedule.

ConsThe division I work in tends to react to issues rather than thinking about how to mitigate them in the first. IT and Operations have a lot of Red Tape between them, and the sense of urgency is often not there. Workers usually start as temps with no benefits for a year or more. After which the next move is to Specific Professional which is basically an internal temp, with bare basic benefits, medical, but no dental, very little vacation time, and no more over time but you're now expected to work a minimum of 45 hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease pay of your workers, we seem to keep losing people over it and the training of a new person takes months till their productivity really replaces someone. Lets focus on more work from home benefits and if IT cannot get something done in 7 months, lets start looking to replace them rather than making excuses.

Best company to work for in the region

Business Planning Intern (Current Employee) Allentown, PA (US)

Pros(I was in PPL EnergyPlus, their supplier subsidiary)

Fair pay, lively work environment, my supervisors were kind and helpful, very comprehensive kitchen with all sorts of things

ConsThere seemed to not be a lot of opportunity to grow out of your role where I was working, the large corporation way of life can wear on you because it can be bland and monotonous

PPL - Intern

Generation Technical Services Intern (Former Employee) Allentown, PA (US)

ProsExcellent senior management in PPL Generation. Offers employees lots of travel time and exposure to many different facets of the Electric Utilities Industry.

ConsThe tasks I received were not very difficult or time consuming. Most of my time was sent looking for tasks from other people in the group

Advice to Senior ManagementMore interns and recent graduate positions are necessary in the Generation segment of the company due to the number of near retirement age employees.

Worked for PPL? Contribute to the Community!