PPL

Be The First To
Add Photos

PPL Chairman, President and CEO William H. Spence

William H. Spence

A good but demanding employer

Supervisor (Current Employee) Allentown, PA (US)

ProsExcellent benefits, good pay, excellent vacation policy, comfortable facilities, always interesting work. Great people! The company has a knack for hiring flexible, motivated, and genuinely nice people.

ConsBe prepared for a standard 50-hour work-week. Also, understand that this is a top-down management environment; by that I mean senior leadership provides instruction with little staff collaboration and often with insufficient collaboration across senior leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlace more trust the talent you have hired.

Good Place To Work

Project Manager (Current Employee) Allentown, PA (US)

ProsThe pay is good for the area. People are friendly and care about doing a good job. Minimal office politics which allows us to accomplish what we need to. There should be more opportunities in the future as the aging workforce at the company retires.

ConsNot as many growth opportunities as I would like to see. People tend to stay in their positions forever which makes it hard to advance.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more opportunities for advancement

Pretty good place to work, stuck in some older mindsets

Applications Developer (Current Employee) Allentown, PA (US)

ProsCompetitive salary, values around ethics and safety are key. Will value their people if able to contribute and work as team players. Decent benefits. Great opportunities for work-life balance if you're a FTE, less so if you're temporary. Interesting work, things change all the time if you're in IT, at least.

ConsStuck in older mindsets regarding the ability for IT to be part of the business. Treats process over results instead of re-evaluating processes that are greater than ten years old (which in IT is a lifetime). Worried about regulatory issues even when the company and its people do due-diligence, and it cripples innovation and ability to get things done cheaply/efficiently.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe open up tactical/strategic discussions to the people actually doing the work, and allow the business to understand the reasons behind the decisions we make. Individual contributors are caught in the crossfire between business directives/needs and the crippling, skewed process-oriented culture on the IT side. Let's try to remember we're all on the same team, eh?

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good pay & benefits but older culture of top down management

Manager (Former Employee) Allentown, PA (US)

ProsTheir pay & benefits are still good including their time-off policies. Large number of employees reaching retirement age so advancement opportunities should be on the rise.

ConsManagement talks about valuing employees input but most don't walk the talk. Lots of changes going on and you never know when your job may be eliminated.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to listen to employees on the front lines of areas you're making decisions about. It will improve the success of your decisions.

Good working environment.

ProsGood pay, good networking events.

ConsNot as much work as I would like.

Awesome place to work!

GIS Analyst (Current Employee) Allentown, PA (US)

ProsSuper work life balance (a week's paid vacation + ability to take infrequent unpaid vacation) and casual atmosphere in distribution operations. Ample feedback on work from both supervisors and mid management with ample room for growth. The new office is also nice, large kitchen with dining area (a fine place to meet your coworkers) new computers are also a huge plus (you'll be using them a lot and the old ones ran XP in 2013). PPL offers great pay for most positions and flexible scheduling helps ease commutes. Most jobs are easy and management quite accommodating.

ConsA consistent "ready, fire, aim" approach led to frequent delays and waste. Regulated utilities are a high stress work place and not for everyone. People may die as a direct or indirect result of your work, just the nature of electrical work.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire competent project managers and encourage follow through on projects before moving on to the next one. Overall, keep up the good work!

Good

Support Attendant (Current Employee) Danville, VA (US)

ProsGreat company to work for,if you could advance

ConsIt's a great company to work for,especially if you have a school age child,because the hours are flexible and you can plan around your life.

No Diversity in the Workplace

Business Analyst Cooperative Associate (Former Employee) Allentown, PA (US)

ProsIf you're white, a hillbilly, and deer or turkey hunt, this is the #1 employer to put in your adult working years as a PA native with nothing more than a high school or vocational education.

ConsIf you are a minority, have an IQ above room temperature, or generally seek a company on the north slope of the growth curve, look elsewhere.

Great company with a lot of long-term potential

Manager (Current Employee) Allentown, PA (US)

ProsGreat benefits, great opportunities to try different jobs across different parts of the org., a lot of upward opportunity over the long-term, a great place to develop a command of the energy sector if interested.

ConsSomewhat "command & control" culture (it will be some time before a culture of employee empowerment is estabished), lack of innovation (but remember, it isn't google), culture still feels very "baby boomerish" (and I am one), some departments are very "get it done," even at the expense of the long-term (but not a universal problem).

Advice to Senior ManagementAs workforce ages out, culture will need to adjust with demands of a younger work force, keep this in mind. Also, leverage the creativity of younger staff to drive technology and process advancement

Good internship experience that opened other doors

Intern (Former Employee)

ProsStrong internship program, great pay and good people. Real projects with real implications.

ConsManagement. Things can be slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be as judgmental, improve relationships with low level employees and be sincere.

Worked for PPL? Contribute to the Community!