PRA Health Sciences

Updated 23 January 2015
3.5

PRA Health Sciences President, CEO & Director Colin Shannon
Colin Shannon

Pros
  • Decent systems, work/life balance is the same as at every CRO (in 22 reviews)

• Option to work from home a few days a week a plus (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Don't always manage work/life balance well, overworking their best staff members (in 16 reviews)

• There is a strong sense disseminates from upper management that the bottom line now outweighs quality in staffing (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Wish I had not left my last role, I thought that was bad but this is worse.........

Current Employee - Resourcing in Reading, England
    Current Employee - Resourcing in Reading, England

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Ok Team, welcoming when I joined and seem to be supportive as we have lots of issues to deal with every day so support is good

Cons

I have 2 years experience so I know what I am doing but am micromanaged. The journey is very long and management can be a bit horrible. I know how to do my job properly and can tell them how to do abetter job if they would listen (I used to tell my previous compnay all the time) I took this new role so I had freedom but it is not happening. Not as professional as sold at interview and is total chaos on a day to day basis.

learn from people like me, I have two years experience and kow what I am doing,you could learn some new skills

Over 10 years of my life wasted!!

Former Employee - Clinical Data Coordinator
    Former Employee - Clinical Data Coordinator

I worked at PRA Health Sciences part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Worked with some really good people. Certain amount of flexiblilty regarding working hours. Office facilities were good compared to other offices.

Cons

Management are biased towards certain people. Great deal of favouritism, particularly senior management. Taking out a grievance against a manager, (even though the employee manual states to do this, if you have problems with a manager,) is a total waste of time. HR will always take the managers side, even when there is definate proof that a manager has lied and fabricated evidence. Honesty and trust are words that are non-existent in PRAs vocabulary. The whole PRA experience has been extremely TOXIC!!!! My advice to anyone contemplating working for this company is - DON'T!!!!!

Some senior management are like tumours that need to be removed, rapidly, before they have time to infect their staff and need to be stopped from 'brainwashing' new employees. More importantly they need to learn to speak the truth!

A real Titanic! Total mess and micromanagement. Stay away unless you've been unemployed for > 1 year.

Former Employee - Management Level in Reading, England
    Former Employee - Management Level in Reading, England

I worked at PRA Health Sciences full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Salary paid timely.
    Some nice colleagues.

Cons

Horrible top management, most of middle management disempowered and/or de-motivated, non-existent CEO, almost no strategic communication between top and field folks.
    Increasing fragmentation - more and more departments created to cover pieces of the process. While one closes the door the other tries to open it, both do not communicate with each other. This leads to decreasing quality of the final output and growing clients' dissatisfaction.
    Bonus plans on paper, usually canceled before payout deadline.
    Micromanagement at every level.

Leave before you totally sink your ship.

Great Place!

Current Employee - In-House Clinical Research Associate in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - In-House Clinical Research Associate in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences

Pros

Nice office, great management, nice training, awesome opportunities for advancement, great industry to be in!

Cons

The only con is that the work tends to ebb and flow. You can have a lot of down of time and try to find ways to bill your time and other times you are super busy!

Great management no complaints

PRAHS review

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences

Pros

PRAHS is a growing company offering several career opportunity

Cons

That's difficult to relocate abroad

Eat, Sleep and Dream PRA...

Former Employee - Project Associate in Charlottesville, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Project Associate in Charlottesville, VA (US)

I worked at PRA Health Sciences

Pros

I was at PRA for almost 9 years and worked in two different departments through the going public period to back to a private company. It depends on who your direct manager is, what department you are working in and overall the company atmosphere which had changed constantly there. If you don't like change, don't work for PRA - and that is both good and bad change. Benefits are competitive, raises are almost non-existent, salaries are below competitive to market. Some wonderful managers took notice to hard work. You will be busy!

Cons

You are at the mercy of who is managing your department and the department you are working in. Most managers took advantage of those who worked hard. When I left, I discovered another employee there had been fired who had less than a third of the responsibility as I did and had been on probation for years! Functional managers changed and the new one wasn't that person's friend. So everyone else had been covering for that particular employee's slack. You are not able to take your PTO and will end up not earning more due to maxing out what you earned. Work/Life balance is insane. I worked holidays, weekends, 10 hours a day and when a close family member died suddenly, I only could take 3 days because of my work load.

Be careful who you put in functional management positions. There are too many friends, too many cover ups to job performance you shouldn't accept. And employees who are constantly "loosing time" because they are unable to take their PTO should be forced to and their Functional Managers should be forced to distribute their duties elsewhere or lessen their load. (That is why they are Functional Managers!)

Overall - ok

Current Employee - Administrative Associate
    Current Employee - Administrative Associate

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences

Pros

Friendly team, interesting projects, good benefit program and PTO

Cons

Lack of communication from management, rapid restructuring, hard to be promoted

Ok place to work

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences

Pros

Pto policy, co-workers, benefits decent,

Cons

Lack of communication from management

People make the difference!

I worked at PRA Health Sciences

Pros

Interesting work. Colleagues are extremely helpful, friendly and are the reason many employees stay. Lots of work from home opportunities. PTO is generous plus 11 holidays.

Cons

Management needs managerial training! Most positions are high stress and management just keeps pushing. Promotion opportunities are limited. Normally a person gets a promotion due to a request to perform above and beyond their normal responsibilities or they have to threaten to leave at an inopportune time.

Request management training in high stress situations.

programmer

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences full-time

Pros

401k, paid vacation days,

Cons

more stress when approaching timelines

better planning and resource (expertise) distribution among project teams.

PRA Health Sciences Photos