PRA Health Sciences

Engaged on Glassdoor

"Welcome to the Circus"

Current Employee - Internal Recruitment in Reading, England
    Current Employee - Internal Recruitment in Reading, England

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I am an Internal Recruiter in Reading, To be completly honest I used to be very "pro" PRA in the begininng but my experience of being here several months now the most positive thing in the team is me. I am good at what I do and could bring more to the business, they should let me give more of my great advice and guidance and I kknow we could get better again.

Cons

Poor environment, a management team that are really not that competent. Long hours , unhappy workers and poor recruitment practices (I thought my last role was bad but I now realise they actually knew what they were doing!)

I would like to give lots of advice that would be valuable (although I have never managed myself, I do know a lot so feel qualified to give my opinion) but they would'nt listen anyway.

Poor line management and career prospects - disappointing

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Salary was the only competitive opportunity I found at PRA.

Cons

Very poor line management, when noting I was unhappy with he role I found myself in compared to the job offer I was presented with and the lack of Coe to progress in my career I was informed that the best way to progress was to threaten to resign and negotiate a new role from there including a promotion. I immediately update my CV and moved on as his was confirmed by more than one senior employee!

Increase communication, improve leadership by employing managers that are able to manage and lead rather than inspire you to leave

Wish I had not left my last role, I thought that was bad but this is worse.........

Current Employee - Resourcing in Reading, England
    Current Employee - Resourcing in Reading, England

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Ok Team, welcoming when I joined and seem to be supportive as we have lots of issues to deal with every day so support is good

Cons

I have 2 years experience so I know what I am doing but am micromanaged. The journey is very long and management can be a bit horrible. I know how to do my job properly and can tell them how to do abetter job if they would listen (I used to tell my previous compnay all the time) I took this new role so I had freedom but it is not happening. Not as professional as sold at interview and is total chaos on a day to day basis.

learn from people like me, I have two years experience and kow what I am doing,you could learn some new skills

Over 10 years of my life wasted!!

Former Employee - Clinical Data Coordinator
    Former Employee - Clinical Data Coordinator

I worked at PRA Health Sciences part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Worked with some really good people. Certain amount of flexiblilty regarding working hours. Office facilities were good compared to other offices.

Cons

Management are biased towards certain people. Great deal of favouritism, particularly senior management. Taking out a grievance against a manager, (even though the employee manual states to do this, if you have problems with a manager,) is a total waste of time. HR will always take the managers side, even when there is definate proof that a manager has lied and fabricated evidence. Honesty and trust are words that are non-existent in PRAs vocabulary. The whole PRA experience has been extremely TOXIC!!!! My advice to anyone contemplating working for this company is - DON'T!!!!!

Some senior management are like tumours that need to be removed, rapidly, before they have time to infect their staff and need to be stopped from 'brainwashing' new employees. More importantly they need to learn to speak the truth!

A real Titanic! Total mess and micromanagement. Stay away unless you've been unemployed for > 1 year.

Former Employee - Management Level in Reading, England
    Former Employee - Management Level in Reading, England

I worked at PRA Health Sciences full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Salary paid timely.
    Some nice colleagues.

Cons

Horrible top management, most of middle management disempowered and/or de-motivated, non-existent CEO, almost no strategic communication between top and field folks.
    Increasing fragmentation - more and more departments created to cover pieces of the process. While one closes the door the other tries to open it, both do not communicate with each other. This leads to decreasing quality of the final output and growing clients' dissatisfaction.
    Bonus plans on paper, usually canceled before payout deadline.
    Micromanagement at every level.

Leave before you totally sink your ship.

Great place to work

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences

Pros

Supportive atmosphere within department, upward mobility opportunities. Good benefits, company social events, and work-life balance.

Cons

Inconsistent communication between study teams.

Excellent Experience

Current Employee - Clinical Team Manager in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Clinical Team Manager in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences

Pros

PRA has been a wonderful place to work as a Clinical Team Manager (Lead) since I began in mid-2014. My colleagues are competent, personable, and knowledgeable and my managers have been supportive and good resources. The key to PRA's approach to the CTM role is that they incorporate (and expect) that CTMs perform as Clinical Project Managers and you are responsible for the financial/scope/projection piece of they study you are on in addition to your typical lead responsibilities. I expect that if you immerse yourself in this role, you will be rewarded for your work -time will tell, but I have no reason at this point to think otherwise. The training for the role as well as the project specifically has been outstanding.

Cons

I am not particularly fond of the systems for CTMS and TMF so far, but admittedly they are both new to me so perhaps once I learn how to utilize them more efficiently/effectively, I will change my opinion. Other than this, I have no complaints to speak of.

Please value your top performing employees and reward them with promotions when deserved. A big part of the reason I came to PRA is because I was told this occurs and I am hopeful it will continue.

Work at this company has deteriorated over the years.

Current Employee - Senior Clinical Research Associate
    Current Employee - Senior Clinical Research Associate

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences

Pros

Benefits - time off, medical/dental, 401K. Competitive salary

Cons

No life work balance. It has gotten progressively worse over the last several years. Middle management can sympahize but there is nothing they can do to improve the situation for their direct reports. Upper management couldn't care less. Resourcing is atrocious. There is a lot of redundancy in work becauses so many systems that are not integrated.

Bring in top senior long term CRAs, IHCRAs to be involved with improving processes. Stop letting clients walk all over us. In the long run it only sets us up for troubles with auditors. Data driven monitoring is the worst indea I've seen in 16 years in research. Reduced SDV using computer based algorithm would be better.

Maybe it got too big

I worked at PRA Health Sciences

Pros

The Personal Time Off (PTO) is generous and flexible, even after they cut it back, and many departments allow home-based postions and/or work-from-home flexibility to one degree or another. It takes determination and strength but, with some groups and managers, it is possible to keep to a reasonable number of hours.

The long-term employees are great, they are experienced, informed and helpful.

It is probably still a good place to enter the industry and gain experience. The choice to stay long-term would be up to the individual.

Cons

Communication from the leadership follows the "Trickle-Down" model and is not complete or reliable when it reaches the lower echelons. Communication across groups follows the "Six Degrees of Separation" model where the sender does not know who the recipients should be so they send it to people they know in the hope that those people will be able to pass it on wherever it needs to go.

Some groups are moving towards having admin-only management who do not have experience in the tasks and responsibilities of their teams. This makes bottom-up communication difficult. Explaining technical or process issues is difficult for the employees doing billable work and there is a strong likelihood that problematic promises will be made to clients.

IT was very much cut down and is struggling to support the company; requests for essential support can go unanswered for weeks.

And, most unhappily, in the past few years, there has been less support for adherence to regulatory guidelines. I used to be confident in receiving Senior Management support when unethical requests were made but, now I see little to none. Those for whom I had the most respect, and in whom I had the most confidence, have left the company.

The communication issues are significant; information needs to be sent from the person who has it directly to the people who need it, with a cc to those who need to know it was sent.

Communication also needs to be more open, the grapevine has beome a more reliable source for the staff than mangement communication. And, where senior management are doing things that they cannot be open about, maybe they should re-assess their choices.

Used to be better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences

Pros

The people that I work with are the main pro of the job. Many of the people are nice.

Cons

Corporate does not care about the everyday employee. It used to be a lot better before Lifetree was bought out.

Start caring about your employees.

PRA Health Sciences Photos