Pacific Gas and Electric

www.pge.com

Pacific Gas and Electric Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Pacific Gas and Electric Chairman, President & CEO Anthony F. Earley Jr.

Anthony F. Earley Jr.

Pros
  • Good work-life balance although it's depends on a group you work in(in 38 reviews)

• Great pay and benefits, support for volunteering(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • It's hard to get your job done if you're constantly trying to prove your worth to upper management(in 22 reviews)

• Middle management presents a significant barrier to changing corporate culture(in 10 reviews)

Moving in a good direction, but is still trying to overcome bureaucratic problems

Intern (Former Employee)

ProsThere is some real talent at the company. Recruiting has done a great job of finding more innovative thinkers, and the organization could be on a great trajectory as a result.

ConsBureaucracy - very old school set-up, with closed door offices (a laugh in a progressive, start-up heaven such as SF). You risk being silo-ed, and the lack of coordination and information sharing between units may be difficult to overcome.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep investing in employee safety and in your future (employees that will want to stay and give back).

Ok

Senior Software Developer (Former Employee) San Ramon, CA (US)

Prosvery good health coverage and pension

Conslow growth and slow promotion

Advice to Senior Managementgive good promotions

The Good and Bad

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) West Sacramento, CA (US)

ProsOnce you pass a 9 month probation you are golden on the call center
    Benefits are cheap but they have high deductibles
    Easy job

ConsAwful shift bids
    As a new employee information is only given if you know the questions to ask or you have a friend who can tell you
    Mid Managers build leadership teams based on who they know vs the best candidate

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a balance between promotions based on the bidding seniority process and the best candidates and their experience

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people to work with and it's at a great location

Consbig company, hard to move positions

Good learning experience.

Director (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsInteresting work and opportunities to expand ones expertise.

ConsMiddle Management (Director/Senior Director) do not share information openly. Seems political. Senior manager level with 20+ years of service seem to act very resistant to outside hires.

There was good and bad but I really struggled with not being paid as much as everyone else

Program Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsWork/Life Balance. Granted I worked in Operations and as a Contractor for this company and the flexibility of my schedule was great. And when I moved to Program Management, my work life balance got even better. As long as you get your work done, that is the main focus. If you need to leave early or work from home, you just need to let your manager know. Granted this is dependent on your manager but I was lucky enough to work for people who allowed for this flexibility. As a program manager, I was really able to own my program and make the decisions on how to make it run effectively. Raises and bonuses come every year for the time that I worked here.

ConsAlthough, most people say the pay is great, I did not experience this. I came in severely underpaid and never got to where I should have been even with several raises. Management did not work to ensure I was paid fairly and I knew everyone else was being paid more than me.

Technology is so behind. It hinders getting things accomplished on a daily basis.

Career Paths aren't clear and it is hard to move up here unless you are friends with the right people. It is not how much work you do or how smart you are, it's all about who you know. Granted it is probably like that in corporate america period.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your people more and make sure you have the right people doing the right jobs. Please please invest in technology to make the business run better and more efficiently.

Good times and bad times

Analyst (Former Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsLots of places you can go in the company, both regionally and occupationally.

ConsDinosaur company. Very slow moving and behind-the-times. CPUC & IBEW limits can also make things difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart practicing what you preach. And start treating your lower-middle managers/supervisors as well as you do bargaining unit employees. And stop creating so many high up positions that layers of bureaucracy. (Sr director, director, Sr manager, manager, Jr manager...etc)

Experience has been okay- company does well and their is longevity.

ProsGreat company culture- good benefits.

ConsManagement is VERY OLD SCHOOL. It takes a LOT of effort to get promoted in IT. Does not work the same in other departments. The leadership team in IT have a very negative approach on change management and have poor organizational leadership skills. They protect each other so don't get on leaderships bad side!

The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

EHS Professional (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsGreat benefits, generous resources for providing gear and equipment, motivated co-workers, community involvement and an established, respected company.

ConsHuge bureaucracy, EHS group is not coordinated and often works at cross purposes. Stove-piping and lack of support for new voices and careerism characterizes much of upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at the overall EHS organization and consolidate it. Hire some outside professionals and actually listen to their advice. deal with the issue of competition between Gas and Electric EHS organizations.

Probably a good place to be at if you are approaching retirement

Expert Business Analyst (Current Employee) San Francisco, NM (US)

ProsCompany that's relatively immune to the economy cycles so job safety is there. Generally nice people. Good work-life balance although it's depends on a group you work in. Company is huge on safety and does a lot for the environment.

ConsExtremely political!!! More so that any other place I've seen or heard of. It's mostly not what you know but who you know. Many people in high level positions who are not suited for those jobs but they got there through knowing someone. Upward mobility is limited. Very difficult to change processes due the regulatory nature of the business as well as people who are resistant to change.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more openly; have less meetings to talk about things that never end up getting done for one reason or another.

Worked for Pacific Gas and Electric? Contribute to the Community!