Pacific Gas and Electric
www.pge.com San Francisco, CA 5000+ Employees

Pacific Gas and Electric Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Pacific Gas and Electric Chairman, President & CEO Anthony F. Earley Jr.

Anthony F. Earley Jr.

Pros:
  • "GREAT work life balance, competitive salary for the responsibilities and expectations"
    in 29 reviews
  • "Excellent opportunities for advancement, good pay and benefits, a good company with great history and sense of pride"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "It's hard to get your job done if you're constantly trying to prove your worth to upper management"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Too many senior management layers, too dependent on outside consultants"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good Experience

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than 5 years

ProsStable and employees are sharp and work well together. Many long-term employees.

ConsSlow to change. Spending and budget allocation is not always most effective.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more aggressive to adapt to changes.

Always work if you want to work

Line Department (Current Employee)
Over-The-Rhine, OH (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou can go anywhere in Northern California and do pretty much any job and make enough money if not way more depending on how much you work to take care of your family.

ConsSmile and wave all the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementHIre younger guys to manage

Pros slightly tip the scale..

Engineer (Current Employee)
San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than a year

Pros401k AND pension plan, unbeatable health benefits, and some departments offer flex schedule (9-80,4-10). If under union contract, 2 pay raises and a bonus. Very steady and predictable

ConsExtended periods of intense stress, juggling too many different projects of different technologies under different PMs, required to be overnight subject matter experts with little or no training, and although you are not required to work OT - you might as well sign your own gravestone if you don't. You will be thrown into the deep end and you will not be taught to swim.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide training and resources.

Tried and true

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric

ProsStable company with great benefits.
Many long time employees are getting ready to retire which opens up opportunities.

ConsImplementing change is like moving the Titanic.
It in this culture they often move dead wood rather than cut it out.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach. If you want open and honest communication, be prepared to listen to it.

Lots of Hype, Little Substance

CCSA (Current Employee)
Sacramento, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPretty good benefits and decent pay. Although their hiring contractors in at what I'm making after 7 years with company. Lots of pep talks, staff meetings and online propaganda to "inform" us about what's going on in the company. PG&E is great at community outreach and volunteer efforts. They do invest a great deal of money and time on the PG&E image. We do so want our customers to like us.

ConsThe nepotism and favoritism are rampant at this company. Especially at the locations that are far enough away from Corporate headquarters that they are not managed or monitored on a regular basis (example: Technology Service Center in Sacramento). You will never get ahead unless your related to someone with clout who will plead your case, or if you are very good at being a suck-up. Hard work really doesn't matter much. It's all about being a Peacock. He who has the brightest feathers and squawks the loudest gets the recognition.

Upward mobility for phone analysts is much more difficult in these "rural" areas, especially in the call centers since there is no where to go. All the management spots are already filled with the directors buddies, so your only option is "Team Lead" (which is already filled with the supervisors "yes" boys). So, you're pretty much stuck in a "go nowhere" position until someone quits, gets fired or dies..

I feel sorry for the women in my department. Out of about 90 employees, only about 8 of them are female (including our admin). They seem to do most of their hiring right out of the IT Community colleges and most look like me (young, white and male). If you're older, female or handicapped, your chances of getting hired for an Information Technology position in the Sacramento area are pretty slim. PG&E likes to tout "Diversity this, and Inclusion that" but in all my years here I have never once seen a person with a physical or mental handicap get hired by this company. Women are seldom selected to go out on rotational jobs, nor are they promoted or supported by management in this particular location.

If I could spend more time doing my job, and less time jumping through hoops, attending useless trainings, preparing for, editing, planning and discussing my performance appraisals, the job would be a lot less stressful. I spend the majority of my time convincing management that I'm worthy of employment. If they weren't so busy doing the same thing, they would probably be well aware of what i do on a daily basis and time spent on these constant evaluations would not be necessary. Evaluations once a year should be sufficient.

Advice to Senior ManagementRate employees on their job performance and not how you "feel" about them. Stop perpetuating the "Ol' Boys" network and let some fresh blood in positions of authority (especially in IT).

Dysfunctional company with decreasing opportunities

Consultant (Former Employee)
San Ramon, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric as a contractor for less than a year

ProsCompany is large and relatively stable since California's PUC will never let this investor-owned utility, the nation's largest, ever go under. It also offers both gas and electric service, given the company more clout. Management locations in San Francisco and San Ramon are excellent for both commuting and lifestyle. It's trying hard to burnish its reputation for safety and service. Decent benefits and average pay.

ConsThe San Bruno natural gas accident of a couple of years ago has shaken the company to its very foundations. It has a severe public relations problem and is trying hard to re-invent itself as a "safety first" company. But the company's processes are terribly disorganized and it has brought in a lot of expensive outside consultants who are wrecking havoc with a traditionally very collegial company culture. Politics reign supreme and everyone is watching their back, especially if they report to these outside consultants or their lieutenants.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's fine to put new systems in place and try to improve the company's processes, but it's reliance on aggressive and intemperate outside consultants is polluting a culture that worked hard for Californians for decades. It may well be that PG&E will face ever more municipal takeovers given the level of service and attitude of management. Meanwhile, many dedicated employees are losing faith with the company they thought they knew.

Expert, Cyber Security Assessor

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time

ProsGreat benefits package and annual bonus

ConsVery slow to implement change and grow

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

sys admin

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time

ProsFlexible Working Hours and nice professional environment

ConsLong commute if you are living too far from your work

I was an instructor for AutoCAD and worked support through Web seminars

Lead Instructor for ACAD2012 (Former Employee)
San Ramon, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat environment and reasonable compensation.

ConsBudget shortfalls led to dismissal

Advice to Senior ManagementI always felt good about the support I got from my superiors

best career and learning experience

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric

Proscustomers are no.1 priority and safety of the crew

Conspolitical infighting, in the management team

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to your crew cause they are the one's who will make it happen for you, a happy crew means more prosperity and customer's satisfaction will be recognized

Worked for Pacific Gas and Electric? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pacific Gas and Electric reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Pacific Gas and Electric CEO Anthony F. Earley Jr.. All 324 reviews are posted anonymously by Pacific Gas and Electric employees.