Pacific Gas and Electric

Pacific Gas and Electric Reviews

Updated 29 September 2014
Updated 29 September 2014
3.4

Pacific Gas and Electric Chairman, President & CEO Anthony F. Earley Jr.
Anthony F. Earley Jr.

Pros
  • Good work-life balance although it's depends on a group you work in (in 46 reviews)

• ok pay and benefits but you may have to fight to get what they promised, they hire good people (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • A few permanent employees made complaints to Upper Management, but no action taken (in 24 reviews)

• Depending on the organization and your title, there is little or no work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Experience

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Established organization with many opportunities. Big name respected in utility world with good benefits.

Cons

Established organization can be slow moving. Culture very rigid. Slow to change and innovate.

Do your homework before working for this Company!

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are some construction jobs and professional jobs within PG&E that are well paid with good benefits. It seems that there are long term employees in general that are loyal and stay long-term. Many in management have relatives they recommend for jobs at this company, so the environment seems "very connected."

Sorry, but I would strongly suggest if considering employment here, check out the management if possible and see if there have been complaints - might be worth knowing.

Cons

From what I experienced as a new employee, it was poorly managed, unorganized, and had no established processes or training for newer employees. One-week-new hire- employees were training One-day-new-hire employees. Work was haphazardly put together in order to meet deadlines. This was confusing. When a new hire made an error, the Supervisor could be pretty vicious in return to the person. A few permanent employees made complaints to Upper Management, but no action taken. Unfortunately, problems continued. People wanted to leave. There was intolerance from supervisor towards employees with a disability! Racist remarks were made against a black-male contractor by another employee, supervisor did nothing about it! Sorry, but I can't give this company a good review.

Upper Management needs to take employee complaints seriously. My advice to Management and the CEO, do not ignore employee complaints. If there is a problem brought before you, check it out thoroughly. Provide a safe "open door" to employees (both contracting and permanent) and allow them to talk about a problem without fear of losing their job. This would be a better solution than losing employees!

experience from San Ramon office to General Office - Electric Ops, incl. Energy Supply, Shared Svcs

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

First, context: I feel I have a unique perspective to share because I worked in Electric Ops, including Power Generation and Energy Procurement as well as Transmission & Distribution, and Shared Services. I also have had the opportunity to work at multiple locations, San Ramon office and the General Office (GO) in San Francisco. In the last few years, I have had the opportunity to attend meetings with EVP and C-level leadership on the 32nd floor. My opinion is that the feel of the company is very different based on location and organization. The atmosphere at satellite locations is less political and generally friendlier than the GO. Also, at a company of over 20,000 employees, each EVP/SVP org. is like its own company or fiefdom, so the experience in Gas is different from say, Customer Care.

Pro's:
    + the company jet - open to employees traveling to company locations, going to the private hanger and bypassing the regular commercial airport stuff is heaven
    + you can get paid very well to do not much (to me, this is a con but I guess it depends on your point of view).
    + advancement opportunities. Let's say there are 30 VP's and they have 2 to 6 Senior Director reports who have multiple Director reports and so forth with Senior Managers, Managers, and possibly Supervisors. If you do the multiplication, there are quite a few middle management slots that pay pretty well. Maybe the odds aren't great based on total employee pool but a lot of moving up is tenure, which basically means being alive and sticking it out.
    + good benefits
    + don't have to worry about the company going under
    + work/life balance can greatly differ from group to group. for example, business finance is infamous for poor work/life balance. for the company overall, it's probably not that bad.

Cons

- Sense of hierarchy pervades everything: which meetings you can attend, being able to speak at a meeting, who you can email or call, it may factor into whether people will respond to your emails or calls, whether you need to ask permission to say something, and how people treat you. This probably stems from the old school culture and organizational fragmentation which leads to the fiefdoms. You could also label this bureaucracy.
    - You have to watch our for and mange your own personal development.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a happy long-term place to be

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The benefits are better than some places, but they have changed, and not so good for the incoming new hires - except a lot of overtime for the line wokers. Most of the IT people and some business people seem to have a better experience at this company and those are the folks that post, so beware if you are in Electric Ops or a line field.

Cons

Management is fear-based and the new generation does not respond to that. The Company has not grown with the times. I worked closely with Gas and Electric Operations. They are constantly reorganizing the Mid-management out. It is very stressful to meet metrics that have not real bearing and there is a punishment-based philosophy for things like safety errors and motor vehicle accidents. These events are hard to manage. It drives a culture of non-reporting and fear for the supervisors and managers of the team. I have seen a lot of really good people managed out because they didn't fit with the Electric Ops Director. The H/R Team is the same way. Lots of criticism and unfitting blame to avoid responsibility. I left after three years - no amount of money was worth living in this environment. I worked in an office outside of GO. Most of the employees were bickering with each other over trivial things and years of feuds. I have never seen such a poorly run organization.

Bring in the Management Coaches - you really need some help. The next generation of young folks are not going to stick around to be mis-treated.

Poor Management - Little Work Life Balance

Current Employee - Expert  in  San Ramon, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Expert in San Ramon, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hey, it's a job. Benefits are great. Excellent training opportunities.

Cons

Poor management. Managers either lack the skills, or do not regularly communicate with their employees - without which they cannot support them in their goals. Work life balance is poor because either they have hired the wrong people in the wrong positions, or because of lack of hiring. It's a shame because there are smart people in some areas - and management gets in the way with their strategy of the month. The cost of living in many areas is counter productive. Regular homes are in the million dollar range, and housing availability is slim. So you either commute hours in traffic and face safety issues from accidents, or you live in a tiny apartment for nearly 3k per month. Not worth your life and health.

Meet with your staff. Identify people who are motivated and support them or get out of their way. Be flexible - it's a large service territory and technologies can make work more efficient rather than wasting time or creating risky situations from everyone driving to and fro. If safety is an issue, walk the walk - the largest risk occurs when people are on the road longer.

PG&E

Current Employee - Specialist  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Specialist in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent pay, flexible scheduling with a healthy appreciation for work/life balance, and challenging work across the enterprise. Definitely many challenges to contend with on a daily basis if that's your thing.

Cons

Size of company can be hard to fully navigate, a great deal of bureaucracy which can be discouraging. Often spend more time fighting internal roadblocks than actual work, however many seem to be trying to push through that.

Good Company

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric

Pros

The pay is pretty good.

Cons

The standard office politics exist

Giving Up

Former Employee - Temporary Additional  in  Avila Beach, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Temporary Additional in Avila Beach, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

Best pay in the area, many great and talented co-workers

Cons

Cannot get on permanent to save my life even though I have been working outages for several years and a few years as a year-round contractor.

Value your TAs. They have experience to keep Diablo safe. You shouldn't trust too many newbies just to save some pennies or an even more expensive problem could occur.

fragmented, slow, poor planning

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than a year

Pros

ability to move to different jobs or groups, good benefits, they care about the health of their employees (although it varies group to group), some interesting work, good pay

Cons

slow moving company, hard to get anything done, some people are really unmotivated, old culture, outdated technology, super fragmented, poor planning, people generally hate PG&E

keep working on the culture, there is a long way to go. major overhaul of technology needed. get rid of the people who have been there forever and often say "that's not my job"

Great place to spend a career!

Current Employee - Electrical Operations  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Electrical Operations in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good compensation, many opportunities, good retirement, always improving safety practices and training.

Cons

Some conflicts between expected output/volume of work vs. following proper procedures. Frequent movement of management players makes it hard to get used to a routine or having someone in a leadership position who knows what they are supposed to be doing.

Require a more field experience from Supervisors/Managers. Hold them in a position long enough so they can actually get past the learning curve then rate them based on their performance at that time to determine if they are a value to the company instead of the constant movement that allows less than capable managers to slip through the cracks.

Pacific Gas and Electric Photos

Worked for Pacific Gas and Electric? Contribute to the Community!