Pacific Gas and Electric

Pacific Gas and Electric Reviews

Updated 30 January 2015
Updated 30 January 2015
3.5

Pacific Gas and Electric Chairman, President & CEO Anthony F. Earley Jr.
Anthony F. Earley Jr.

Pros
  • Good work-life balance although it's depends on a group you work in (in 48 reviews)

• ok pay and benefits but you may have to fight to get what they promised, they hire good people (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • A few permanent employees made complaints to Upper Management, but no action taken (in 24 reviews)

• Depending on the organization and your title, there is little or no work-life balance (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Salaries at pg &e.

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good people, location, environment, retirement, benefits

Cons

to high, not a structured thing, unbalanced, favorites, secrecy, hidden

quit, restructure, reorganize, increase involvement, hands off approach

Feeling settled.

Current Employee - Director's Assistant in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Director's Assistant in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Work-life Balance
    - Training & Development
    - Coworkers
    - Pace
    - Security

Cons

- Slow moving
    - Top-heavy Management
    - Office is drab

- Paid maternity leave

Awful work/life balance, and terrible middle and upper managers.

Current Employee - Analyst in San Ramon, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Ramon, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Salary, benefits and a family (in that order) are keeping me from becoming a contractor somewhere else.

Cons

This is not true for all of PG&E, but in parts of IT, they treat their employees like second class citizens. In fact, it's better to be a contractor in my organization.

Poor planning by managers are reflected in all of the last minute and end of year projects. Oct - Dec. has become the most unhappiest time of the year especially for employees who're forced to work OT w/o any addt'l compensation.

And forget about complaining, if there's a 360 review process, it's trash. The supervisor/middle managers get to decide who can submit a review about them. HR is useless since they don't seem to have the power to reprimand, and forget upper management, they don't care since they were all consultants and career managers who're only interested in scoring quick wins on their quick ascension to the top.

This is an advice to the CEO/CIO. If you're interested in improving the quality of your product offerings and contribute to happy/productive employees, do the following:

1) please vet the candidates for the Director positions carefully. Ex consultants and career managers, do not make good managers. And how is it possible that someone gets to be promoted twice w/in less than a year and become a Senior Director. Good directors beget good managers/supervisors which would then beget satisfied and content employees.

2) You should also hire Directors and VPs who're interested in staying w/ the company for over 5 years. W/in the last 4 years, I've seen several new Senior Directors/VPs who left to pursue even higher positions.

3) To fix the issues w/ IT, you have to talk to the employees. Hiring a consulting group and then following their suggestions by hiring more contractors and consultants will never work. Our issues are self inflicted. The employees are not motivated and feel defeated because management all the way from the supervisor to the director level do not have their best interest in mind. For that matter, they don't have PG&E's best interest in mind either.

Big company - good and bad

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits and ability to change jobs within company.

Cons

Very hierarchical and difficult to move up, due to employees in current positions for decades. Few positions at higher rank make it highly competitive for career growth.

Management is looking to more work with less employees... this results in overworked employees, low work life balance, and a competitive distrustful environment. Show more appreciation and trust for employees who do their best each day for the company.

I have worked with the company for six years in four different roles

Current Employee - Business Analyst in West Sacramento, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in West Sacramento, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I like that I'm now in management and it wouldn't have been possible if I wasn't successful in the Management Trainee Program.

Cons

I feel underpaid and don't feel I'm in a role that best fits my qualities.

I would like to be able to do some one-on-one training to see other positions, within the company.

Good stable company with job security.

Former Employee - Program Manager/Supervisor Energy Efficiency in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Large stable company, good benefits with pension, years of expertise with colleagues. The company is very progress in the clean energy/energy efficiency work it does compared to many other utilities across the country. Most people who work there have been there for decades and have a wealth of knowledge, which is very valuable and a great resource.

Cons

Very bureaucratic, overly regulated, very hierarchical and everything seems to move at snails pace. A lot of time on the job is spent on multiple regulatory requests and endless reporting.

Be a little less risk averse.

Good pay, casual environment, heavy union environment

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric as a contractor

Pros

Good pay and casual work environment, location.

Cons

Traditional organization with heavy union environment

Interning at PG&E

Current Employee - Financial Applications Support in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Applications Support in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

- Their intern program is growing rapidly and not too hard to get into
    - They are projected to have nearly 300 interns next summer
    - Lots of "networking" aka fun bonding days
    - Good pay
    - Very nice people
    - Good benefits
    - Get to hear from top VP's and even the CEO and ask questions
    - Clear company vision with safety as a number one priority
    - Lots of people end up working here for a long time - I think the average tenure is approximately 18 years
    - Extremely stable because it's a utility company

Cons

Personally, I didn't face any real challenges while working here. They do, however, not have the best reputation in the world, as the San Bruno incident is still pending charges. However, the company itself is extremely well-run and is doing everything in its power to make safety its number one priority.

n/a

Great company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people and an important mission of safely providing gas and electric services

Cons

Difficult to have so many negative news stories

Keep making the progress that has been made over the last few years

Great place to work with lots of benefits!

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There are lots of hard working individuals in the company. They strive to do the best they can at every given moment. The pay and benefits are top notch, and vacation time is great.

Cons

I had a chance to work in two different offices and experienced totally different work environments. As with every company there's always people that are too stubborn and high strung. Make lots of friends, but always protect yourself with emails the best you can. I wasn't as good as playing the game as everyone else so I decided to leave the company after falsified accusations placed on me. I still love the company, but a bad apple is a bad apple.

Management needs to be more in touch with employees. They are out of the office too much and don't understand what really goes on in the office.

Pacific Gas and Electric Photos