Pacific Gas and Electric

Pacific Gas and Electric Reviews

Updated 14 September 2014
Updated 14 September 2014
3.4

Pacific Gas and Electric Chairman, President & CEO Anthony F. Earley Jr.
Anthony F. Earley Jr.

Pros
  • Good work-life balance although it's depends on a group you work in (in 38 reviews)

• Great pay and benefits, support for volunteering (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • It's hard to get your job done if you're constantly trying to prove your worth to upper management (in 22 reviews)

• Middle management presents a significant barrier to changing corporate culture (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Procurement Dept. review

Former Employee - Procurement Specialist  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Procurement Specialist in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

If you play the politics right it's a good secure job.

Cons

Dept. was not really open to change from a contractor. They had a couple of low level people calling the shots of how things were to be done and their thought process was wrong. Dept. mgmt did not really want to change.

Great benefits

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time

Pros

Benefits, flexibility, opportunities, culture, management

Cons

None .. .. .. ..

materials handlers

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

work and life is awesome
    great coworkers
    stable
    good pays and benefit

Cons

job bidding
    old equipment
    union dues suck

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working as a senior business analyst provides multiple opportunities for challenging work

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  Sacramento, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Sacramento, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits, People, atmosphere, location, quality

Cons

Limited advancement opportunities and no training

There are too many people making too much money and are not doing enough work

One of the Best Companies to work for in San Francisco

Former Employee - Marketing Manager  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Exceptionally intelligent, hard working, resourceful and extremely helpful colleagues who create a real team atmosphere.

Cons

The workload can be overload at times with crucial deadlines to be met. Sometimes in working across the board it felt like the right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing.

Continue to keep an open door policy where one is free is discuss concerns, suggestions, support needs, etc.

Great people, opportunities within the company

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time

Pros

work-life balance, great benefit, training, dedicated people, industry leader

Cons

heavily regulated, slow to make decision

Family oriented company

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than a year

Pros

Autonomy of work, salary, work life balance

Cons

Large company highly regulated by Government but is not really a bad thing.

Trust and empower your people

Moving in a good direction, but is still trying to overcome bureaucratic problems

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric as an intern for less than a year

Pros

There is some real talent at the company. Recruiting has done a great job of finding more innovative thinkers, and the organization could be on a great trajectory as a result.

Cons

Bureaucracy - very old school set-up, with closed door offices (a laugh in a progressive, start-up heaven such as SF). You risk being silo-ed, and the lack of coordination and information sharing between units may be difficult to overcome.

Keep investing in employee safety and in your future (employees that will want to stay and give back).

The Good and Bad

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  West Sacramento, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in West Sacramento, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric part-time for less than a year

Pros

Once you pass a 9 month probation you are golden on the call center
    Benefits are cheap but they have high deductibles
    Easy job

Cons

Awful shift bids
    As a new employee information is only given if you know the questions to ask or you have a friend who can tell you
    Mid Managers build leadership teams based on who they know vs the best candidate

Find a balance between promotions based on the bidding seniority process and the best candidates and their experience

There was good and bad but I really struggled with not being paid as much as everyone else

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work/Life Balance. Granted I worked in Operations and as a Contractor for this company and the flexibility of my schedule was great. And when I moved to Program Management, my work life balance got even better. As long as you get your work done, that is the main focus. If you need to leave early or work from home, you just need to let your manager know. Granted this is dependent on your manager but I was lucky enough to work for people who allowed for this flexibility. As a program manager, I was really able to own my program and make the decisions on how to make it run effectively. Raises and bonuses come every year for the time that I worked here.

Cons

Although, most people say the pay is great, I did not experience this. I came in severely underpaid and never got to where I should have been even with several raises. Management did not work to ensure I was paid fairly and I knew everyone else was being paid more than me.

Technology is so behind. It hinders getting things accomplished on a daily basis.

Career Paths aren't clear and it is hard to move up here unless you are friends with the right people. It is not how much work you do or how smart you are, it's all about who you know. Granted it is probably like that in corporate america period.

Invest in your people more and make sure you have the right people doing the right jobs. Please please invest in technology to make the business run better and more efficiently.

Worked for Pacific Gas and Electric? Contribute to the Community!