Panera Bread

3.1
1,481 Reviews

Panera Bread CEO Ronald Shaich
Ronald Shaich

Pros
  • You get a discount on food and I met a lot of great people working there (in 96 reviews)

• My department is really good about work-life balance and allowing flexible hours (in 57 reviews)

Cons
  • Careless and lazy managers well as very low pay for amount of work that is needed (in 30 reviews)

• A LOT of hardwork only to get paid a dollar more than minimum wage (in 52 reviews)

More Highlights

Overnight Baker, Great if You Are Looking to Work the Graveyard Shift

Former Employee - Overnight Baker in Orlando, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Overnight Baker in Orlando, FL (US)

I worked at Panera Bread full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Overall, I had a great experience as an overnight baker at Panera. Both my bosses were awesome to work with and even though work was tough, it was pretty standard once I was done with training. I would still be working if I did not have to quit due to my commitment to finishing college. Other pros were:

-Given plenty of freedom to work at your own pace as you are usually working alone.
    -Free credit for food when done for the day.
    -Better than average pay, decent benefits and some raises.
    -40 hours a week
    -Almost all of the other bakers were excellent at their jobs and fun to be around.
    -Although both of my bosses were quite tough, they were very appreciative and supportive of the good work I did.
    -Both my bosses were always willing to send me help if I needed it (for a $2000+ bake, catering, etc.).
    -Both my bosses would deal with any issues that GMs and store managers would have with either me or my bakes (believe me, they would complain about everything).
    -6 weeks of training which is more than enough to learns the ropes of panera baking which does not require any prior food experience.
    -Although I went to a bunch of different stores for training, I settled into one store when I was done with training and stayed there for the remainder of my time at panera.

Cons

-There is no set time for breaks. The only time I was able to take one was if I hurried through my bake to have about 15 minutes to take one before I started clean up.
    -This job is very mentally and physically demanding even once you get the hang of it.
    -Solo baking is very tough and you won't get many hours during the slower times of year (April through September) if you can't solo bake.
    -You need precise time management for this job. One wrong thing will ruin an entire night and have you hustling to get the bake done.
    -Store and Baking management are run by two different systems which leads to quite a bit of problems.
    -No reimbursement for gas or tolls if you have to go to another store.
    -Detail cleaning is stressed but it is hard to get done when solo baking.

Get baking management and the store GMs on the same page. It only makes things so much harder on my bosses who already had a ton to deal with. Bakers NEED breaks even if it would mean starting 30 minutes earlier to take one. There is no rationale for why travel is not reimbursed other than being a cheap company. Gas may be cheaper now but it certainly wasn't when I was working. All these things need to be corrected ASAP.

Great place to learn, grow work with great people

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great learning experience chance to know the area very well

Cons

long hours, hard mental and physical work

Listen to the input from the persons actually doing the work

worked on and off with this company for 3 years, its a love hate relationship

Former Employee - Catering Supervisor/Employee Trainor in Raritan, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Catering Supervisor/Employee Trainor in Raritan, NJ (US)

I worked at Panera Bread

Pros

flexability, room for growth, easy to transfer

Cons

the pay is not very pleasing to the amount of work expected of you

maybe higher the shift supervisors pay rate they are expected to do way too much for 10/hr and no option of yearly salary

My time at Panera has been a long one with many ups and downs.

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Schererville, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Schererville, IN (US)

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

While working at Panera you always get a free meal when you work so that's a plus. The job isn't hard, but you always have to deal with those customers that you will never satisfy.

Cons

There will always be those employees wherever you go that just don't fit it in, and there are too many at the current location that I am currently at. You constantly have to deal with high school attitudes.

Get back to what made Panera great in the first place. I feel like Panera is trying to be like everyone else by always changing their menu. Sometimes to much change keeps the customers confused, even the regular ones.

The employees was nice

I have been working at Panera Bread

Pros

No drama ever friendly customers

Cons

They were strict on rules

Good, but not great

Current Employee - Cashier/Barista
    Current Employee - Cashier/Barista

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great management, co-workers are fun and easy to get along with, flexible hours

Cons

As part-time you're usually closing, argumentative people

Pay closer attention to scheduling!

Working for Panera Bread

Current Employee - Cashier/Barista in Matthews, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier/Barista in Matthews, NC (US)

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is a great company with great values. I love that every bakery donates its unused breads and pastures to charities and homeless shelters. They have good benefits and good pay.

Cons

I wish you could move up in this company a little faster I've worked here almost two years and am still not a trainer even though i was told when i started that six months in I would start the training to become a trainer and well the managers don't seem to keep on top of things like that which is a little sad.

When you say you will have someone because a trainer follow through with it. Stop hiring new people when your aren't giving a lot of hours to the people who currently work here.

Very fun fast paced environment!

I worked at Panera Bread

Pros

Very friendly, fun, and genuinely a good place to work! Besides all the yummy food it has a warm atmosphere!

Cons

The worst part is wanting to eat all the food!

Experience was filled with highs and lowed, fellow employees helped make the difference.

I worked at Panera Bread

Pros

- Chill and typically young employees
    - Discount on food
    - Relaxed workplace

Cons

- Difficult to move up and rather time consuming
    - Annoying customers
    - Can get really stressful

- Loosen up and try not to be hypocritical.