Parker Drilling

Parker Drilling CEO Gary Rich

Gary Rich

great start out job

I have been working at Parker Drilling full-time for more than a year

Prosthey have very good cooking

Consit is a low paying company

Top shelf Equipment and Management

Assistant Driller (Former Employee)
Baton Rouge, LA (US)

I worked at Parker Drilling full-time for more than a year

ProsSafe environment excellent state of the art equipment

ConsH R and screening of new hires need to weed out drug addicts drunks and comp hands and hands with illegal papers

Great Company. One of the best I worked for

Project Scheduler (Former Employee)

I worked at Parker Drilling full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSmall company with easy access to Senior Management.

ConsNewer Senior management doesn't have the vision or experience of past teams

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease retain well experienced VPs and above.

Family atmosphere and people work well together in teams, growing company, making positive changes.

I have been working at Parker Drilling full-time for more than a year

ProsNew people in key positions making positive changes. Company is good to the employees and has a relaxed environment, where we can have fun and still get the work done.

ConsCompany doesn't always understand what value some of their employees can add and limits career growth of those employees as a result. Company doesn't pay as well as others in the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue the contributions your employees can make and promote them to the appropriate roles for their expertise and experience and pay them accordingly for the value they will be providing in those roles.

Unclear carreer path

I have been working at Parker Drilling full-time

ProsCompany going through transition. New CEO, new CFO, new VP-HR... trying to find the path between how things were made 4 decades ago and "modern" managament. Good pay, average benefits. Good operations at the rigs.

ConsUnclear carreer path. Not enough challenges. Lots of individual work, little team work. Not a learning culture, little/none training.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf companies exists because of its people, make sure you make your employees grow with the company. Provide and support a learning culture. Let your employees understand the vision and the objectives of their function. Provide a carreer path.

Semi-Family company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Parker Drilling full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThose that have been with the company for a while treat it as a family company, however those that are newer have a more political environment.

ConsGetting away from a family feeling, stagnant company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the employees happy, keep more employees.

Louisianans don't mix well with normal people-if you're not in their clique, forget having a good experience

VFD Electrician (Former Employee)
Anchorage, AK (US)

I worked at Parker Drilling full-time for less than a year

Prosthe pay is good, some of management is made up of good people

Consa lot of backstabbing and dishonesty, people climbing over other people, favoritism shown by management to family who also work there, incompetence and arrogance

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are going to do a construction project, don't manage that project with unqualified Parker employees just to keep it in the family, you wouldn't be getting sued by BP right now if you had left the construction of the AADU project to QUALIFIED management teams

True Blue: Enduring and Unafraid of Growth

Operations (Current Employee)

I have been working at Parker Drilling full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThis 75+ year old company is restructuring and planning for growth and expansion opportunities. Parker introduced a proactive and effective new leadership team in 2012. Implemented new benefits, training, and perks to employees in 2013. Paid out bonuses in 2012. Expanded revenue generating capabilities of Technical Services.

ConsNeed to strengthen Change Management strategies. There is a high concern amongst employees about what will happen next and how it will impact their jobs. A solid Change Management strategy would address this and increase retention.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't give up, stay aligned. I will be crucial to execute on stragties, now more that ever. Your efforts will be rewarded.

Parker used to be a good company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Parker Drilling

ProsFlex time available. Payroll is knowledgeable. Legal has some good people. Help-desk is helpful. Compliance is watchful. Safety is a priority.

ConsStock price has not risen in years, everything senior management has tried seems to go south, raises and bonuses promised but not delivered in 2-3 years, starting salaries low. There seems to be a "If you don't like it, then leave mentality." Slim-to-no chance of promotion and no career path available.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within instead of constantly bringing in new people. Chart out career paths and encourage everyone to educate themselves. Stop rewarding upper management for its inept decisions. Deliver on your promises or more good people will leave.

They try hard

I have been working at Parker Drilling

ProsLike a family
Most employees aren't expected to work more than their 40 hour work week
Flexible office hours in Houston

ConsLittle room for growth
Changes in the way the company does things are extremely difficult to implement
The overall professionalism of the company is low (still a lot leftover from the "mom & pop" days)

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's not high school, there's no need for the "cool kids" to push the others down. If the company has failed in several locations and certain people were involved with each location...maybe it's time to cut the cord.

Worked for Parker Drilling? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Parker Drilling reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Parker Drilling CEO Gary Rich. All 13 reviews are posted anonymously by Parker Drilling employees.