Party City Reviews

Updated 10 September 2014
Updated 10 September 2014
2.8

Jerry Rittenberg

Pros
  • flexible hours (usually), shifts aren't too early or too late, most managers can be very agreeable (in 16 reviews)

• This company has a fun environment with very likable people (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for advancement (took me 4 years to be promoted to a supervisor) (in 10 reviews)

• The minimum wage was pretty disappointing (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

A fun place for a first job

I worked at Party City part-time

Pros

there was a great employee discount, very friendly coworkers, pretty chill managers, had a great time around decor and costumes and party supplies, customers were almost always friendly

Cons

janky hours, theyd have you close at midnight one night and the very next day expect you to be clocked in by 6am, the khaki pants are horrible, but thats probably something everyone complains about

keep doing what youre doing

It isn't much of a party...

Current Employee - Front End Lead
    Current Employee - Front End Lead

I have been working at Party City part-time for more than a year

Pros

The people I work with are nice, and most of the work is not hard once you know what you are doing. There are opportunities to become a manager just by starting out as an associate, but it will take a number of years of reliable, good work. Also, you get decent hours for part time retail if you work hard and take extra shifts.

Inflating balloons can be fun, and if you like Halloween, it is great to help someone get a costume together.

Cons

There isn't really any established method of learning how to do the work well or how to use a PDT efficiently, and coworkers can be annoyed by repeated questions.

Some of Party City's products aren't very good quality, and I often tell customers to go elsewhere for better makeup, costume accessories that could be purchased at a thrift shop, etc.

It is retail, and the pay is basically minimum wage with no benefits.

There are training videos for balloon inflation and talking to customers, but why not setting a planogram or using a PDT? Streamline the learning curve for your associates and you would greatly increase the value of your associates.

Great Seasonal PT Job at Party City

Former Employee - Halloween Sales Associate  in  Chesapeake, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Halloween Sales Associate in Chesapeake, VA (US)

I worked at Party City part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good shifts. Great coworkers. Get to dress up in costumes. Great pay.

Cons

Customers are crazy. But that's anywhere and everywhere.

None.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nationwide retailer with limited room for advancement

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Charlotte, NC (US)
    Current Employee - General Manager in Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at Party City full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Growing company, moving over to bix-box style retail vs. older, smaller stores of the past. Fast paced environment, especially during Halloween. Easy to advance up to General Manager level. Great place to get experience working in retail. Management teams in surrounding stores become part of your family which makes any types of store-store interaction much more pleasant than at other retailers.

Cons

Little to no down time, management does a lot more actual hands-on work than in most other retailers, very little support from the corporate level. Example: there are rules for returns, but if a customer so much as mentions calling upper management or corporate, you may as well just do the return because you'll get a phonecall telling you to do so anyway., even if the return is clearly fraud. But then you're held accountable for the shrink this causes. There is a great deal of relocations that take place in my market. I have worked at 6 different stores on my way to becoming a general manager, this can be quite taxing if that isn't your cup of tea.

This company's managers do a lot less managing and a lot more work that associates would normally be responsible for at other retailers. There is a great deal of micromanaging and paperwork unheard of at other retailers.

Fun place to work.

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate  in  Roseville, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Roseville, CA (US)

I worked at Party City for more than a year

Pros

I enjoyed working here for the flexible schedule and fun people to work with as well as helping people find all there party or halloween needs.

Cons

I didn't find a quick opportunity to work my way up in the company.

Employee Newsletter may make employees feel more valued. To include job advancement opportunities within the company.

You can work 15 hours one week and then work 3 hours the next week! They hire too much people for one small store!

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales  in  Ajax, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales in Ajax, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Party City as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

You get 30% off products

Cons

Bad hours , Your feet will KILL after your shift

Okay place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Arlington, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Arlington, TX (US)

I have been working at Party City part-time for more than a year

Pros

The best reasons would be for the people and the environment. Youre taught well, and its an okay job.

Cons

Hardly any improvement to move up in the company, not good pay, sucky hours.

Don't make decisions on things you don't know.

So much fun!

I have been working at Party City part-time for less than a year

Pros

It's very easy to learn the job. It's basically stocking shelves, cleaning mirrors and fitting rooms, and helping customers. Hours are very flexible. 30% discount.

Cons

During Halloween, hours are extremely limited unless you're availability always free. It's very hard to be promoted.

It was a fun experience although it was only for holloween. I would definitely return.

Former Employee - Stock Associate  in  Miami, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Stock Associate in Miami, FL (US)

I worked at Party City for less than a year

Pros

The hours were flexible and the managers were cool.

Cons

It was hot outside when I had to wear the constume to promote other costumes.

Dynamic and exciting organization!

Current Employee - Region Manager  in  East Rutherford, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Region Manager in East Rutherford, NJ (US)

I have been working at Party City full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work/life balance, fair compensation, training, development opportunities, and strong senior leadership.

Cons

Minority of retail chain is franchised. In general, these locations are not operated as well as the corporate stores. This impairs the brand image.

Worked for Party City? Contribute to the Community!