Paychex

Paychex Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Paychex President and CEO Martin Mucci

Martin Mucci

Pros:
  • "I have a great work/life balance and exceed quota just about every month"
    in 31 reviews
  • "Great training for onboarding and ongoing"
    in 44 reviews
Cons:
  • "Depending on the department, there is no work/life balance"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Expect to be putting out fires with clients as they were given unreasonable expectations/promises from the sales reps"
    in 23 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Overall a good experience

I have been working at Paychex full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFinally catching up with technology - very employee friendly and you can make your career whatever you want it to be

ConsToo many changes coming all at once - makes it hard to keep up with the already overwhelming workload

Advice to Senior ManagementStop putting more work on the staff. Increasing clients per specialist every year is getting to be too much

Enjoyable Work Environment... with Major Employee Retention Flaw

Risk Management Departments (Former Employee)
Henrietta, NY (US)

I worked at Paychex full-time for more than a year

Pros*Great co-workers
*Opportunity to grow within company, if you are willing to put in the time and bounce around departments
*Excellent Training Program
*Tuition Reimbursement and culture to push employees to use it - they will work with you on your hours and availability based on class schedule!
*Excellent Benefits package (outside of pay)
*Again, wonderful co-workers - cannot say that enough... they really made coming to work easy

Even though I left because of the cons below, Paychex is still a good company to start your working career with. I would not have my current position without them. However, with that said - I might have stayed if they fixed some of the cons below:

Cons*Outdated and clunky processes, systems and tools
*Absent SLT with no downward flow/visibility of upcoming strategic plans and/or initiatives
*Extremely low pay compared to industry standards
*Direct management does not aid with career path and development plan within company
*Stock grants, although a nice idea - are worthless as you can only cash in on the difference made in the stocks uptick
*In a world where mobility is prevalent and required, Paychex still has desktop computing for a majority of their workforce - laptops would have been nice to aid in work-life-balance - especially during "Year End Mode" at Christmas and New Years

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should focus more on an employee retention program that looks at keeping talented employees within the company. The majority of the cons I listed above are driving factors as to why individuals use and see Paychex as a springboard into another career... Paychex looses a great deal of talented and hard working employees while they are young and hungry because they do not invest in them.

Life at Paychex

I have been working at Paychex full-time for more than 8 years

Prosexcellent benefits, time off accruals, good work life balance

Consslow to adapt technology for employees and customers, departments often do not communicate timely

Advice to Senior Managementcreate job paths, advancement or more merit increases

just okay

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at Paychex full-time for more than a year

Prosnice people, liked accounting community,

Conslots of cold calling, territory changes, so much competion

Advice to Senior Managementlarger territories

Awful

Core Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Rocky Hill, CT (US)

I have been working at Paychex full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat Training, solid name in the field.

ConsTerrible comp plan, you need to put in YEARS of service before you get the banks and CPA's to refer you.

Needs a lot of work

Payroll Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Paychex full-time for less than a year

ProsFriendly coworkers. Good place to learn strong work ethic.

ConsHigh turnover. Extreme workload. Poor Management. Low pay. High expectations as a new hire. Excessive/Wasteful training: needs to be more hands on. You get paid based on book work that you probably had painful experiences with, within your first month of being a specialist.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach. Listen to your employees, your title means nothing if you can't fulfill the job well.

Payroll

Payroll Specialist (Former Employee)
Saint Petersburg, FL (US)

I worked at Paychex full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGenerous time-off policy given. Good collaborative culture. Everyone helps everyone else.

ConsCareer development and advancement opportunities are based on favoritism as opposed to proven accomplishments and review standards. Besides having experienced it first hand, I had seen many hard working peers looked over. Pay is very poor and often times subjective.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuantifiable data and proven accomplishments should be considered when deciding advancement opportunities. Too often it is based on most liked.

Product Development Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Paychex as an intern

ProsGreat leadership and tasks were valuable in future internships.

ConsMost employees were quite complacent.

Good company to work for, but not great

Developer (Current Employee)
Rochester, NY (US)

I have been working at Paychex full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood company overall. The benefits are pretty solid from what I've seen. Great emphasis on work/life balance. Flexible hours. Good people for the most part who are intelligent and know what they're doing.

ConsDepending on where you are in the company, it can turn into "the boys club" pretty easily. Management can definitely have favorites and show some favoritism in some cases. It's not blatantly bad, but when you watch people get away with things that others get in trouble for or get spoken to about, it can be frustrating. Management can be set in their ways about a lot of things, so there's little room for fresh ideas, unless your ideas are their ideas.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the technical experts who do the work, they know what they're talking about!

Core Payroll Sales Rep

Sales Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Paychex full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat work environment with coworkers. Paychex has been working on and expanding opportunity for advancement for sales reps that do not want to become a manager. Great opportunities to grow with the company. You have the opportunity to even create your own position. If you have drive, are a hard worker and enjoy sales this is a great place to work for. If you are a successful sales rep here you have endless opportunities with other companies if you choose to leave. Other companies know how hard sales rep have to work here and focus on taking these reps from Paychex.

ConsNot much opportunity for raises if you stay in your sales position.

Micromanaged by the upper management. This is very aggravating especially when you are top performing rep.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to management is to lay off reps that are consistently over performing. Trust that they want to do well just as badly as they do and leave the rep alone! Consistently calling and emailing for updated numbers and seeing what a rep is doing drives employees right out of Paychex. Salesforce has the updated numbers right there for you. Learn to use it and let us breathe.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Paychex? Contribute to the Community!

Paychex Videos

Paychex – Why Work for Us?

Paychex, Inc. is a leading provider of payroll, human resource, and benefits outsourcing solutions for small- to medium-sized businesses. The company offers comprehensive payroll services, including payroll processing… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Paychex reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Paychex CEO Martin Mucci. All 535 reviews are posted anonymously by Paychex employees.