Paychex

Updated 25 January 2015
3.7

Paychex President and CEO Martin Mucci
Martin Mucci

Pros
  • I have a great work/life balance and exceed quota just about every month (in 48 reviews)

• Professional company, takes care of their employees, great benefits (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • As a supervisor, I have experienced more demands lately in terms of work-life balance (in 16 reviews)

• The working relationship between HRGs and Sales Reps is volatile at best (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

Good pay and work environment, tedious and repetitive work.

Current Employee - Fulfillment Specialist in Kennesaw, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Fulfillment Specialist in Kennesaw, GA (US)

I have been working at Paychex part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay for an entry-level job requiring no experience. Mostly laid back environment during the work day. Weekends are always off days (except the occasional Saturday during quarter/year end). Big opportunities for advancement in the company. Paid time off and good vacation hours are a plus. Easy to get days off if needed. Job works well around school schedules. Management is very professional along with the environment.

Cons

The hours can go from morning to evening or afternoon to evening (about 8:00/8:30 during the midweek), not leaving much time during the week to get anything done other than going to work. During the busy season, the stress level is significantly higher than usual and the job is not enjoyable that way. Expectations can be sometimes confusing and not expressed clearly. The work is very, very repetitive.

Make sure you inform all new Fulfillment Specialists on the importance of packing speed and productivity expectations as soon as they start. Communicate the inner workings of Distribution to the Payroll Specialists upstairs so that the Fulfillment Specialists do not receive incorrect or confusing packing instructions and make errors. Hire temporary employees for the busy season so the stress level may be lowered.

Sales Representative

I worked at Paychex full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Incredibly supportive and positive work environment

Cons

High Standards are in place

N/A

Every day that I work for Paychex, I love the company more and more!

Current Employee - Human Resources Online Advisor in West Henrietta, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Online Advisor in West Henrietta, NY (US)

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than an year)

Pros

First of all, there are endless opportunities for growth with Paychex; as long as you set a career goal and work hard, management will help you attain that goal. The work culture is very respectful, but also fun. Managment stresses work/life balance, which makes it easy to leave work at work!

Cons

Sometimes the job can get a bit monotous, but that can happen with any company!

Please keep doing exactly what you are doing as far as taking employee surveys, having the annual employee meeting, etc! I feel like my voice actually counts, and you are putting your employees first!

Sales experience I wish I had gotten 10 years earlier!

Current Employee - Major Market Sales Representative in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Major Market Sales Representative in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Incredible benefits and nationwide mobility. Perfect for recent graduates and life long sales/management or operations careers. I would be here until retirement if I could afford to!

Cons

Sometimes it's difficult to move up if you don't want to move out of state because people want to stay where they are. Typical sales roles and conflicts arise but the product is good! Pay could be better for the stress levels in December/January!

Look at management styles or operation issues at local branches where you see high turnover (poll or interview the sales teams anonymously) to see what is missing in order to help them improve management or customer service concerns that make it hard to sell and keep clients.

Strong Company

Current Employee - Core Sales Representative in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management that cares great incentives uncapped commissions

Cons

None that I can think of

Good work

Fantastic company that truly cares about its employees. Great opportunities for pay, advancement, and growth!

Current Employee - Core Sales Representative in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Paychex full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company values are taken seriously and reinforced by senior leadership. Opportunities for pay, recognition, and career advancement are earned fairly based on merit.

Cons

I don't have much bad to say about Paychex. The company cares about its employees and trains, and develops them well.

A great place to work

Former Employee - Payroll Manager in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Payroll Manager in Raleigh, NC (US)

I worked at Paychex

Pros

There is constant ongoing training for ALL employees, not just those new to payroll. In my experience, managers were fair. Excellent benefits. Often times, it felt like I was working with my family.

Cons

Getting promoted can be difficult, but that's because there are so many truly QUALIFIED applicants. It may be necessary to relocate if you're looking for a 'step up'.

Think about incorporating remote working.

Technical Support Specialist

Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Paychex

Pros

I found the company to be very aggressive in their training of their Software and easy to work for.

Cons

Thier salary was some what low

N/A

great company to work for.

Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Generalist
    Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Generalist

I worked at Paychex

Pros

Generous time off, work life balance, training opportunities

Cons

Mileage reimbursement could be better