Paycom

Updated 21 January 2015
4.3

Paycom President Chad Richison
Chad Richison

Pros
  • If you put in the hard work they will definitely reward you back (in 13 reviews)

• That comes with being part of a rapidly growing company (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is poor, as my life began to revolve around the job (in 9 reviews)

• I guess if you don't like hard work it could be considered a con (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

I guess I've been drinking the koolaid

Current Employee - Payroll Team Leader in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Payroll Team Leader in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paycom (more than 5 years)

Pros

The culture is easily the best in town. People are happy to be at work each day. Even during the busiest time of year, you'll still see smiling faces. That's because we know (at least those of us who have been around love enough to see it) that Paycom will take care of us. If something doesn't work, they fix it. We take frequent employee surveys and upper management actually listens. Seriously, I have the vacation time to prove it.

Cons

The end of the year is hard. There's no way around that. But, they are up front about that fact during the hiring process.

Never let our culture stop being a priority. The people at Paycom are the reason for its success.

Excellent workplace and Lots to learn

Former Employee - Software Developer Intern in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Former Employee - Software Developer Intern in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I worked at Paycom

Pros

I interned at Paycom in the summer and loved this place.
    The pay was good enough.
    The people were very friendly and I even got a full-time oppurtunity after my intership was over.
    The Luncheons and Code-A-Thon were very enjoyable.
    Nice Management as well and very good training programs.
    Many benefits including: $4 lunches, $1 health insurance, 401k matching and many others.

Cons

Can't think of any cons.

Great work.

It's not a perfect company, but it is working towards it

Current Employee - Transition Specialist Representative
    Current Employee - Transition Specialist Representative

I have been working at Paycom

Pros

I am going to start out by saying the Transition Specialist Role at Paycom is not an easy one. That being said, since I started a year and a half ago I have seen nothing but vast improvements in our process/job tasks, and department.

Compensation: Since I started here, the compensation changed for the better 2 times. First, one to two months in, they raised the compensation after processing your quota by $5k. Then at the end of 2013, they increased the starting base salary by $6k. In a little over a year I have hit two quotas resulting in a 2 base increases plus commissions around $2-3k per month. This is a busier office, but it is not out of the ordinary by any means. Plus there is a car allowance as you will drive a good amount at this job.

Process: I would have to say the best thing about this company is managements ability to listen to feedback. Being a relatively new department, and one that not many other payroll companies have, we did not have a lot of guidelines to start out. Our management team has listened to our feedback in many areas to make our jobs easier to do. That being said, there is still a lot of room for improvement, which I will discuss below, but it definitely is appreciated to see your concerns being handled.

Department: As I said, our department is always changing, and in my experience it has been for the better. When I started there were two regional managers, so outside of hitting your quotas for base bumps, the job growth potential seemed kind of bleak. At the end of 2013 they promoted 5 or 6 additional people from our department and divided the company's offices into regions. This gave me hope that they will continue to grow this program, and even though my future might not be outlined currently, there is a good chance that I can grow into a role that may not even exist at the moment. We have also worked very hard to get the office balance back in check and work with the sales reps, and not for them as it seemed was the norm.

This may all seem happy and scripted but despite my great respect for this company and the people running it, there were definitely sometimes that I was not this content in my role and had thoughts of leaving.

Cons

Work/Life Balance: During the busy times of the year, it can get kind of crazy. It was not uncommon for me to be answering emails late at night, working on projects way past 5, being on site with a client past hours, or driving home or to a client after or before work started. It is not required, but at the time, I felt it was the only way that I would be able to complete my job and keep projects on track. I think the hiring of the many more TSRs will help this greatly, I think we have almost tripled the amount since I started. It is always going to be a stressful job, but the workload on top of it was at some points unmanageable. This being said, I did have support from my regional manager which is probably one of the main reasons I am still working at this company.

PTO/Sick: Pretty much every review will have this topic in the cons section. Do I wish we had more PTO or Sick, absolutely. Coming out of college it is a stark difference in free time. I wish I could take a long vacation, but long weekends are it for the most part. I will say that I work with a lot of companies in the transitions, and our policies are right about on par with most businesses. Yes, other companies offer great PTO plans, but often at the risk of another benefit. I wish it was better, but I cannot say it is worse than the standard policy

Keep taking feedback, we are the experts on our role and you have been doing a great job at making it a role we want to work in. I think we have a truly passionate management team and they are growing this into a company that everyone will want to be a part of. I am glad I got in when I did.

Change. Opportunities. Growth. Reward.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Change: Paycom is constantly changing and moving at a fast pace because we do what it takes to make our clients happy with our customer service and products. We are constantly creating new ideas and innovating products to improve our system.

Opportunities: This is not an easy job, but the best part of it is that we receive opportunities daily. Most would see these as "challenges" but it is all on your perspective. Because of the constant changes and developments, this brings opportunities to think outside the box, create new ideas, learn new skill(s), and improve yourself personally and professionally. You will learn something new at least once a day.

Growth: These opportunities that we receive daily only stretch us to grow personally and professionally. This is where our most success comes from. If we see ourselves improving then our work effort will increase. Paycom and ourselves benefit from this. The more Paycom grows and improves, the more we grow and improve.

Reward: If we put in the hard work to help build this company to be successful then the more reward we get as individuals. The satisfactory of overcoming an opportunity is extremely rewarding. These actions do not go unnoticed. The managers and executives notice when hard work is being put forth and that you are dedicated to the company's vision. This leads to recognition and promotions. On top of that, the company environment is phenomenal! Everyone is so welcoming and have the same passion of striving towards Paycom's vision. The company takes care of its employees by offering fantastic benefits, affordable lunches daily, cheap vending snack/drink items, themed functions to participate in, competitions and etc.

Cons

Leadership Trainings/Classes: This is specifically for those who really what to grow and move forward as a leader. For a company you talks highly about its leaders and looking for the next leaders, having leadership course available would be beneficial. There are hardly classes or trainings on this to better ourselves. This is something that is not completely available to us.

Hearing your employee's feedback is great. It lets us know that we do not go unnoticed or unheard. Since Paycom is known for its hard working employees and great services, it lets us know you truly care. Continue to fight and stand for us and we will continue to do what is asked of us as employees.

My experience at Paycom has amazing! The career of a lifetime!

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for Paycom for almost 3 years and have nothing but positive things to say. I am grateful to have a career that I view as the career of a lifetime. Paycom provides endless opportunity to grow professionally and financially. I enjoy the challenge and get to work with true executives everyday. Paycom has completely changed my life and perspective on professionalism. Paycom rewards you for your hard work. You can become as financially successful as you want to be. You determine your income!!!

Cons

I have no cons, unless you do not enjoy hard work!

Keep up with the positive culture!

Paycom Response

Dec 19, 2014Representative

Thank you for telling others about your experience at Paycom. Keep up the great work!

Blessed to be working for such an AMAZING company!!

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at Paycom

Pros

I have been at Paycom for right at 1 year and I have never felt more appreciated in my role. This company truly does value their employees. If you like to be rewarded for your hard work than Paycom is the right company for you. I have high expectations for my career path and those expectations can finally be met with a company like this! The training that Paycom offered blew me away! Our very own CSO conducted the corporate training; I learned more from the CSO in 1 week then I learned with my previous company in 8 weeks!

Cons

What cons? This company values their employees and offers an amazing compensation structure and benefits package! Work hard play harder!

Best culture, compensation, and long-term career growth potential!

Current Employee - Outside Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Consultant

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

Compensation and benefits are beyond competitive.
    Team environment
    Ability to grow within the company and be promoted quickly based on performance.

Cons

I don't currently have any cons for Paycom. If you work hard you will succeed. If you thrive on goal-based achievement then Paycom is the right choice.

Keep listening to your employees- you do a great job of implementing changes when necessary and acknowledging requests, even if action can't be taken at that time.

Leaving a job I like, to work for Paycom

Current Employee - Recruiter
    Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at Paycom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Prior to Paycom, I had worked about 4 years at a company that I somewhat enjoyed. The workload was manageable, the pay wasn't terrible, and the flex time/work schedule was awesome.
    Unfortunately, I was at a point in my life that I promised I would never get to- Mediocrity.
    I would wake up, drag myself to the office, work my tail off, receive no recognition, and then convince myself at night "Well, it could be worse".

The first time I arrived in the Paycom parking lot, it was clear that this was a completely different ballgame.
    People were happy to be working... (weird, I know)

I started in Paycom in 2014, and yes the pay is great, the benefits are great, catered lunches, but I think the biggest selling point is the employees.
    I have never been at a place where people in completely different departments interact as a working community. Somehow it seems that everyone knows each other, and they are always happy to see each other in passing.

I now have a career where I can actually see my work pay off. I am rewarded and recognized for my success.

I was able to rely on my team for advice and tips while getting started. There wasn't the whole "awkward stage" of getting to know everyone and developing team chemistry before you can feel like you belong - It seems like they were happy to have me on the team, and immediately welcomed me in.

I seriously wake up in the morning looking forward to the day. Even on days where required to work late, I drive home with a smile because of how much I DON'T hate my job.
    ... and then when you think it couldn't get better, your department randomly throws an awesome team lunch or something.

If you love personal drama- you will probably hate Paycom.
    If you are looking for a job where you can shop online or play solitaire all day... you're going to have a bad time.

Cons

Hard work- Occasional long hours (based on department)
    - I was spoiled with a flexible schedule at my previous employer.

Best opportunity around as long as you are willing to put in the work during your first year to learn.

Current Employee - National Account Executive in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - National Account Executive in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working at Paycom is the most rewarding career I’ve had. As an executive sales rep, my earnings match the hard work I put in. Selling the Paycom product is easy because it’s the only true single application in industry and allows business to increase efficiencies and empower its employees. I’m a competitive and driven individual and Paycom recognizes that and rewards me accordingly.

Cons

It is hard work, but pays huge dividends.

Continue to do what you’re doing because Paycom is one of the fastest-growing companies in the country.

Paycom Response

Dec 30, 2014Representative

Thank you for telling others about your experience. Your dedication and hard work ethic are greatly appreciated. Keep it up!