Paycom

Updated 30 October 2014
4.4

Paycom President Chad Richison
Chad Richison

Pros
  • If you put in the hard work they will definitely reward you back (in 13 reviews)

• 1 health insurance, company luncheons, catered lunches, and many different company functions (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance at the beginning is definitely difficult (in 7 reviews)

• I guess if you don't like hard work it could be considered a con (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Terrible Environment...Untrue Reviews

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Training and Salary:

Training is quite extensive, yet in regard to applicable substance (applying the sales methodology in the field) its doesn't translate well to real life situations. Yet, when as a sales representative, you fall into the situations when the deal is easy to close (very rare), the amount of commission you can make is competitive to other payroll companies. However, the base salary is still 5 figures below what your going to get at the bigger competitors.

Cons

Culture, Management, Job Security:

Overall, this is a company that is lacking in each of these to the increasing detriment of all sales representatives.
    It's confusing because since the company has gone public, and is increasingly flush with cash, there still is a supreme lack attention paid to issues.

It might start with management since the majority of senior positions are filled with young 20 somethings that only have a year or 2 years of sales experience! This created several situations where sales representatives in my region either blatantly disregarded instructions from management due to their lack of knowledge and sales skills or management adopted draconian measures to keep track of sales representatives effectively destroying any sense of freedom to run, close, and process sales.

When it comes to culture, its a boiler room and don't let the interviewer tell you other wise. You have to perform or you will be sliced extremely quickly. Again, commissions are great when you do but this is a doubled-edged sword as even if you are at or exceeding your quota, you are forever asked "what you got next?"

- Weekly Quotas/Sell or get fired.

At the end of the day your quota does not matter, presidents club or otherwise. This
    has only gotten worse as the quarterly earnings reports that the company has to file are opportunities for C-Level staff to cut office spending on team contests and drive sales teams to work 13hr days to squeeze out more revenue to impress the stock holders. Again, you will be cut indiscriminately if you are seen as not abiding by this team mentality.

Also, there are christian attitudes impressed significantly upon the entire company. Often time the national sales call which are weekly, will intertwine sales success with prayers from senior management. Its extremely uncomfortable and I believe illegal.

Job Security, because of the above reasons, is always a guessing game. Not only can you be terminated for lack of continual performance, but you can be terminated for a "bad attitude". I've see reps dismissed instantly for "bumming the office out". Tough days in the job are in abundance, but you are not allowed to share those struggles.

Between the months long payroll setups - customers terminating their payment before commission is paid - Paycom charging your commission back because a customers termed before the 6 month mark - working on during black out holiday months (November / December)..etc. there will be many tough days.

This also goes the same for office politics. You have to be liked, in a personal sense (non-professional) by your direct supervisor or you will be first on the block. Again, I've seen representatives in my region perform well through out the year, and the in first down month they have had, their supervisor PIPs them and terminates them the proceeding month. And this was in the case of a representative exceeding quota up until that time.

Advice to Potential New Hires:

Apply to either Workday, ADP, ZenPayroll, Paylocity....etc.

Any of these will have Better Pay, Better Work Life Balance, and slightly better management.

Stop having team members write your own glassdoor reviews.
    This is suppose to be a neutral forum for potential new hires to assess if the company can be a fit for them.
    Learn that the annual surveys you run are not a reflection of the actual dissatisfaction stewing inside the organization. Staff and employees are afraid of voicing their real opinions in fear of instant termination.

Great Place New College Grads

Former Employee - New Client Setup Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Former Employee - New Client Setup Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I worked at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I started with this company right out of college. I had little experience in the payroll world and they trained me. Not great training at first but it got better over time as it became more of a focus. It was a great company to grow with and watch expand. The work atmosphere is great. You will love the people you work with. The benefits are tough to beat. Free gym, $ Health, $4 catered meals plus fun surprises throughout the year. The pay is good starting out but over time you can make a lot more. I almost doubled my salary in four years. I would recommend working here but just be prepared for the overtime and stress.

Cons

The cons are the work and deadlines are very overwhelming. Depending our your role it can be very stressful and require a lot of overtime. Also Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years is tough. Do not plan for extra time with the family.Very long hours and not a lot of time off around this period. However there are peak times of the year when you can expect to work a lot which helps but before I left it felt like it never let up. The work/personal life is a struggle to balance. I would have loved to stay with the company but it was difficult to work so hard and not have any time to really enjoy myself.

Poor leadership and write their own company reviews

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

The pay and benefits are great. If you have the perfect storm, you will be well compensated in commission.

Cons

The company has no listed values or moral conduct. They promote based on achievement which is great, until you get the job and realize that your achievement is based on your territory. They do not review the territories and just assign them, therefore you can get into a tricky situation if you get a rough territory and a manager who is unwilling to listen to your concerns. They have no way of standardizing metrics, so you will be selling a territory of 5 zip codes against someone who has a whole state and you will be held to the same standards. They are very old school in their management tactics and use verbal threats and write ups as motivation.

Invest in your leadership. Do a Six Sigma training so that leaders understand realistic metrics and set good expectations. Set a moral code for your company.

Paycom Response

Oct 10, 2014Representative

Thank you for pointing out the positives in the pay and benefits. We are sorry to hear you feel the way you do, but we want you and others to know that we do review territories. We divide ... More

Personal and Professional Growth with Paycom

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I started at Paycom straight out of college over 4 years ago. At the time, I wanted to be in sales so that I could make great money. At the time, I had offers from the usual big name suspects for entry level sales positions, but I chose to work at Paycom because I wanted to be in a company that was in hyper growth mode and who promoted from within. My ultimate goal was to lead others. Honestly at the time, I don't think that I realized exactly what I was getting and that I had made the best decision of my life.

As a new sales rep at Paycom, it is definitely the hardest work you will have done up to that point in your life. We are very straight forward with candidates and new hires about the day to day of your job, which is also a big part of why we have every candidate participate in a phone canvassing session prior to receiving a job offer. In your first year, you are learning all about the industry, our product, sales, etc so it does take hard work and determination. The great thing is that we offer an amazing support system and training program to help you along the way. Once we decide to hire someone, we've decided to give 110% of ourselves to helping them succeed.

Every new rep goes through a 4 week in depth training program which consists of product and sales training. In addition to this, each office manager conducts trainings specific to that rep or their team and what they need help on weekly.

While this is outside B2B sales, most managers communicate with their reps daily and many times more than once throughout the day. We work to assist the reps in their sales and strategy on the accounts they are working. If you are looking for a hands off management style or company, Paycom is not the right place for you.

With your manager and team, there will be much discussion surrounding quota, goals--- numbers wise, professional goals (like moving into management) and personal goals. We work with our team to help them develop all around as a person and not just a number that they're bringing in.

Now, being a sales manager at Paycom, I can say without a doubt that the people who succeed at Paycom are driven, goal oriented, hard working individuals. I am amazing everyday by the achievements that I see happening all around me and I can honestly say that I am grateful everyday to be a part of such an amazing team of sales professionals all across the country. Some of my best friends that I will have for life, I have met at Paycom.

If you're looking for a long term sales career with a growing company, come to Paycom, it will be the best decision of your life!

Cons

I don't personally have any cons. Every day you will face challenges and the way you handle them will determine your own level of success. Every tool and support person is at your finger tips, if you're willing to do the work, you will be a very happy and wealthy person at a very young age.

Keep on doing what you're doing!

Amazing opportunity to make an abundance of money and change your life trajectory

Current Employee - Executive Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Executive Sales Representative

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They take training very seriously and equip their reps with great tools to sell.

Cons

There are not alot of cons. It really is what you make it. If you don't do well that is completely on you.

Put more cash into R&D

Endless Opportunities

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Paycom has the most opportunity for growth around and I have thrived since joining the team. Starting out as a rep you make more than others in the industry, which is a huge plus. Then you have the opportunity to become manager after just a few years. Depending on your work-ethic and ability to consistently deliver results the sky is the limit.

Unlike other companies, as a sales rep at Paycom you get to add unique business value and this is something I take great pride in. After the sale I am able to help ensure the prospects I signed on are up and operating smoothly. I was the one that earned their trust and they deserve my undivided care and attention.

The marketing department is always there to support us and the setup teams at corporate are amazingly skillful. Oh and did I mention the compensation is out of this world.

Cons

I would like to be more connected with what is going on with the specialists at corporate and the culture they have built. But the culture in my office is amazing. A lot is expected of Paycom's sales reps and a lot is given in return.

Keep giving us the opportunity to grow professionally and personally.

Phenomenal company with excellent opportunity

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

At Paycom, there are incredible opportunities for advancement. My manager is deeply invested in my success and I have gained more experience here than any other job before. I honestly believe that Paycom is one of the best companies to work for.

Cons

The only thing I can think of, is that it is a lot of work, but I love what I do so it is worth it.

Great Company to Work For!

Current Employee - Executive Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Executive Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive, positive work environment, great team spirit! Paycom is overall a great company to work for! If you have the drive and desire there are people willing to help you succeed. The opportunities at Paycom are endless! The company culture is second-to-none and all the sales reps feel like one big family, we are always encouraging one another along the way.

Cons

The first year is the hardest only because there is so much to learn; however, the training is excellent and after you build that solid foundation, you feel completely prepared for anything.

This place is a growth factory. I've gotten more experience here than anywhere else.

Current Employee - Manager in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Growth and experience. I've been able to own more and bigger successes here than any other place I've ever worked. Investing in a good idea by an employee is something every company wants to believe they do. But here I actually feel empowered to do it.
    It's fun to work here. My team is stellar and our leaders support us.
    And knowing you can get a good lunch (Greek is my favorite day) for $4 without leaving the building is a great perk.

Cons

If anything, it's the minimalist time off policy.

To paraphrase Moses: Let my people go (on vacation).

Awesome company to work for!

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Initially everything I learned about Paycom sounded too good to be true, and now I look at my life and everything is too good and too true! The culture is incredible, and it is the best feeling to work for a company with such incredible people. I can say it is the most difficult and most rewarding thing I have ever experienced. I love the challenge of every day. Success is in reach if you are intelligent, hard working, and positive!

Cons

I would say if you are not able to mentally manage your attitude and you are not mentally strong, you will fail!

Keep it up!!!

Paycom Response

Sep 24, 2014Representative

Thank you for telling others about your experience at Paycom. Your positive attitude will continue to propel your career. You keep it up as well!