Paycom

Updated 19 November 2014
4.3

Paycom President Chad Richison
Chad Richison

Pros
  • If you put in the hard work they will definitely reward you back (in 13 reviews)

• That comes with being part of a rapidly growing company (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is poor, as my life began to revolve around the job (in 9 reviews)

• I guess if you don't like hard work it could be considered a con (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Everything I hoped for and then some!

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Paycom leadership loves their employees! They know we don't have cushy corporate positions, almost every position is performance based. Recruiters even have quotas!! The in-house recruiters are really sales professionals. We make cold calls, pitch the deal, influence working professionals to make a change in career and almost ALL of our candidates are sourced from different internet sites. We literally present a sales pitch to get these top performers from other industries interested. It is not like any other recruiting department I have ever seen before and I love it! I am challenged but also rewarded with a strong compensation plan and great perks. We have an awesome team that knows we are needed to ensure Paycom can continue to grow and open new offices.

Cons

Very few people within the organization understand that Paycom recruiting is really selling Paycom every single day. We are just now getting to use all of the resources necessary with college, agencies and other things to staff the masses.

Keep growing. Keep hiring people like the recruiting leaders who bring outside ideas in and have a positive and fun personality. Additional vacation would be a plus and I know you guys are working on that as I type! Really we have an amazing team of dedicated professionals and I am so excited to see where we are next year and the years after. I am looking to a fun and challenging ride to industry dominance and getting a lot of great hires!

Wonderful company to work for!

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The management works to develop you as an executive and truly cares about you and your progression with the company. There is no 'ceiling' of growth potential with Paycom. The benefits are great, $1 per pay period for health care! The compensation plans are incredible and commission is great - and paid

Cons

It is hard work, but yields high rewards! You really do put in what you get out, the longer hours the better the result and reward. One con is that the vacation time your first year is minimal.

Keep doing what you are doing! You are growing a successful company and with successful individuals.

More work than employees can handle and stay sane.

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

Benefits, Corporate perks like cheap lunches, and a Gym that employees can use.

Cons

The company went public this year and stopped hiring even though business was coming in at a growing rate. This has made work life at Paycom very concerning. Turnover of great employees has resulted from this.

You need to hire at a lot faster rate than you currently are. There are workers doing the amount of work that 3 people should be doing.

Nov 3, 2014Representative

Thank you for your post and letting us know about your concern. As one of the fastest-growing companies in the country, we continually work to add talented employees to our staff. In fact, we are ... More

Paycom is a great place to grow

Current Employee - Paycom Team Leader in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Paycom Team Leader in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The challenges I face everyday help me grow personally and professionally. I started at the bottom and I'm determined to make it to the top, and to get there Paycom gives me clear steps. I've never worked for a company that cares so much about your growth. It's not for the weak though, the hard work you put in is directly related to the rewards you get. Paycom knows how to balance hard work and play, the culture is incomparable.

Cons

Any customer service job is a difficult industry to be in and dealing with paychecks takes it to another level. If you can learn to let things roll off your back then you can succeed.

Oct 22, 2014Representative

Thank you for telling others about your experience at Paycom. We value your hard work and dedication to the organization!

Terrible Environment...Untrue Reviews

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Training and Salary:

Training is quite extensive, yet in regard to applicable substance (applying the sales methodology in the field) its doesn't translate well to real life situations. Yet, when as a sales representative, you fall into the situations when the deal is easy to close (very rare), the amount of commission you can make is competitive to other payroll companies. However, the base salary is still 5 figures below what your going to get at the bigger competitors.

Cons

Culture, Management, Job Security:

Overall, this is a company that is lacking in each of these to the increasing detriment of all sales representatives.
    It's confusing because since the company has gone public, and is increasingly flush with cash, there still is a supreme lack attention paid to issues.

It might start with management since the majority of senior positions are filled with young 20 somethings that only have a year or 2 years of sales experience! This created several situations where sales representatives in my region either blatantly disregarded instructions from management due to their lack of knowledge and sales skills or management adopted draconian measures to keep track of sales representatives effectively destroying any sense of freedom to run, close, and process sales.

When it comes to culture, its a boiler room and don't let the interviewer tell you other wise. You have to perform or you will be sliced extremely quickly. Again, commissions are great when you do but this is a doubled-edged sword as even if you are at or exceeding your quota, you are forever asked "what you got next?"

- Weekly Quotas/Sell or get fired.

At the end of the day your quota does not matter, presidents club or otherwise. This
    has only gotten worse as the quarterly earnings reports that the company has to file are opportunities for C-Level staff to cut office spending on team contests and drive sales teams to work 13hr days to squeeze out more revenue to impress the stock holders. Again, you will be cut indiscriminately if you are seen as not abiding by this team mentality.

Also, there are christian attitudes impressed significantly upon the entire company. Often time the national sales call which are weekly, will intertwine sales success with prayers from senior management. Its extremely uncomfortable and I believe illegal.

Job Security, because of the above reasons, is always a guessing game. Not only can you be terminated for lack of continual performance, but you can be terminated for a "bad attitude". I've see reps dismissed instantly for "bumming the office out". Tough days in the job are in abundance, but you are not allowed to share those struggles.

Between the months long payroll setups - customers terminating their payment before commission is paid - Paycom charging your commission back because a customers termed before the 6 month mark - working on during black out holiday months (November / December)..etc. there will be many tough days.

This also goes the same for office politics. You have to be liked, in a personal sense (non-professional) by your direct supervisor or you will be first on the block. Again, I've seen representatives in my region perform well through out the year, and the in first down month they have had, their supervisor PIPs them and terminates them the proceeding month. And this was in the case of a representative exceeding quota up until that time.

Advice to Potential New Hires:

Apply to either Workday, ADP, ZenPayroll, Paylocity....etc.

Any of these will have Better Pay, Better Work Life Balance, and slightly better management.

Stop having team members write your own glassdoor reviews.
    This is suppose to be a neutral forum for potential new hires to assess if the company can be a fit for them.
    Learn that the annual surveys you run are not a reflection of the actual dissatisfaction stewing inside the organization. Staff and employees are afraid of voicing their real opinions in fear of instant termination.

The best company with a cubicle setting in OKC

Former Employee - New Client Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Former Employee - New Client Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I worked at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

$1 medical insurance, $4 catered in lunches

Cons

Sitting in a cubicle, the rest is all great

Collaborative Team

I have been working at Paycom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Paycom is a busy, fast paced environment. There is no shortage of work and the team I work with are there to help with anything I need. I have worked for a couple large companies such as Paycom and they have all had their challenges but here I have found that everyone is willing to support each other. If you need help all you have to do is ask. $1 insurance, $4 lunches, free gym are some nice perks too.

Cons

IT has this place locked down. I understand the rational behind it, it just makes getting some things done a little harder. Other than that it's a great place to work.

Oct 16, 2014Representative

Thank you for your review! We handle sensitive information which, as you noted, is why our IT security is very thorough. We appreciate your review and hope you have continued success at Paycom.

Phenomenal company with excellent opportunity

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

At Paycom, there are incredible opportunities for advancement. My manager is deeply invested in my success and I have gained more experience here than any other job before. I honestly believe that Paycom is one of the best companies to work for.

Cons

The only thing I can think of, is that it is a lot of work, but I love what I do so it is worth it.

Great Company to Work For!

Current Employee - Executive Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Executive Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive, positive work environment, great team spirit! Paycom is overall a great company to work for! If you have the drive and desire there are people willing to help you succeed. The opportunities at Paycom are endless! The company culture is second-to-none and all the sales reps feel like one big family, we are always encouraging one another along the way.

Cons

The first year is the hardest only because there is so much to learn; however, the training is excellent and after you build that solid foundation, you feel completely prepared for anything.

Nothing But Lies! No Diversity, All Good Reviews On Glassdoor Are Fake:

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits Are Ok But Thats It

Cons

Warning!!!!!!!!!! Anytime You See This Many Good Reviews They Are All Fake Even The Best Companies In The World To Work For Dont Have This Many Reviews That Are Good. The Reviews Are Fabricated By Paycom. Just Last Year Alone Our Reviews Were Very Bad But Paycom Had A Solution To This By Developing Good Reviews Themselves. They Also Have No Diversity And They Dont Want It Either, Racist, Pay Should Be Better For This Industry. We Were Ask To Post Good Reviews Online And We Would Get Bonuses. Keep In Mind I Wasnt Willing To Do It Because It Would Be Nothing But Lies And Im Sure Someone Will Add More Lies After This Review But Its Sad How Things Are Ran Within This Company. They Dont Want To Hire Anyone Of Color Its Terrible For The Company they prefer people that look like me and them WHITE, they dont believe that anyone that is a person of color would be able to be trusted by business owners and sell payroll and they believe that people of color cant sell at all and it makes the company look bad this is how the entire company is if you dont believe me look at LinkedIn and call corporate and ask how many minorities( African-American, Hispanic, Asian, etc) do they have on staff. Anyone That Has More Then 2 Jobs On There Resume Is A Job Hopper, Prefers College Graduates So They Can Do Whatever They Tell Them, Management Is Terrible one you are hired And Most Dont Know What They Are Doing Especially There Recruiters What A Joke they also have a certain type that they like to hire again look at LinkedIn they eventually will have a class action lawsuit with all of there dated practices, This Is The Worst Place I Have Ever Worked. They Actually Want People To Believe That This Is One Of The Best Places To Work In America When All Of This On Glassdoor Is Fabricated By The Owners, Management, And Hr. This Company Lives In The Ice Ages And They Will Do Anything To Make Potential Employees Believe That They Are A Good Company To Work For. There's Better Companies In America That Appreciate Diversity, Pay Well, And Have Great Management, And Excellent Benefits. Paycom Is Nothing What People Are Saying In These Fake Reviews My Advice Run And Dont Even Waste Your Time With Paycom Unless You Want To Be A Part Of The Revolving Door They Are Always Hiring They Cant Keep Sales Reps And If They Hire You And You Are A Person Of Color If You Cough Wrong You Will Be Fired It Goes On Throughout The Company.

Terrible. Get All New Management in every department!

Nov 17, 2014Representative

We understand that not all posts are positive. In fact, we embrace all feedback, both good and bad. However, this post violates many of the Glassdoor Review Standards as it’s unbalanced, full of ... More