Paycom

www.paycom.com

Wonderful company to work for!

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The management works to develop you as an executive and truly cares about you and your progression with the company. There is no 'ceiling' of growth potential with Paycom. The benefits are great, $1 per pay period for health care! The compensation plans are incredible and commission is great - and paid

Cons

It is hard work, but yields high rewards! You really do put in what you get out, the longer hours the better the result and reward. One con is that the vacation time your first year is minimal.

Keep doing what you are doing! You are growing a successful company and with successful individuals.

Worst job I've ever had from the worst company I've ever worked for

Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I worked at Paycom

Pros

the pay plan was fairly aggressive, but still not proportional to the work involved. They don't require any payroll related experience from their employees, which is good for people that need jobs, but not very good for their clients.

Cons

Working at paycom was worst than working at restaurants growing up. their leadership team has no idea what's involved half of the companies positions, or the kind of stress that's pushed onto the payroll specialist. I was working there for two years under the most incompetent manager I could imagine. Paycom only promotes from within for most positions, so most of their management team has no experience outside of the company. adding this to their high turnover, most payroll specialist have only worked for the company for less than two years. the clients are trusting kids that have barely gotten out of college with a sociology degree, to make important tax adjustments for their company.

while working there as a payroll specialist, I was never properly shown how to validate taxes at the end of each quarter. because of this, my clients had huge tax issues each quarter that they were completely unaware of. The system doesn't keep track of taxes correctly for several reasons, so taxes needed to be manually adjusted for individual employees from about 20% of my clients each quarter end. Every time I had asked for help in any circumstance, I was refereed to a "senior specialist" on my team. The senior specialist have worked for the company for at least a year and are under more stress than the entire team since they have up to 150 individual clients, and are working on their own issues each day. our senior didn't have the time, tact, or desire to adequately walk me through the process.

while initially in appears that there is a lot of potential to move up in the company, there isn't really enough growth to have a likely chance of being promoted. while working there, I saw far more employees get fired over minor mistakes, than to see employees get promoted.

the computer system frequently changes with aesthetic updates, which do nothing to fix the abundant problems and glitches that frequently come up. they have hundreds of known glitches that never see any progress, while the programmers instead direct their attention at color schemes.

while paycom does have training programs for their payroll specialist, they are extremely minimal. since the computer system changes so often, training is a constant thing. the specialist don't get much of a chance to experience the new system before an update happens, so when the clients call in with all of the new questions, as a specialist you'll have to research everything on your own. the team leaders who are over the specialist don't deal directly with the actual computer system once their promoted, and usually aren't able to keep informed of the constant system changes. as a specialist, you have no one to ask for help from when clients come up with an issue your unfamiliar with. If you ask around to the other specialist, you get different answers from each of them.

through my training some of the focuses were " never let a client know how little experience you have" , " never let your clients know how many clients you actually have", and my personal favorite, " always have the clients fix their own problems, even if you could help them significantly" . there were several occasions that came up with that last topic. For the two years that I worked there, I was only allowed to work overtime through Christmas and new years. no specialist are allowed to take any days off for all of December since the w2's are needing to be filed. I never had enough time to help my clients solve their issues. when I tried to, I was told that I was wasting time, and needed to focus on other things.

In the end, my manager overloaded me with work and through constant meetings pulling me away from all of the workload I was given, I had far too much stress to continue employment there. The health insurance was nice. the cafeteria only served salads 90% of the time. while I was originally told that my focus was the clients and to make their experience better, I was never equipped to do that, and constantly told otherwise by my direct manager. this was the worst job that I've ever taken, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemies. I hope to never encounter the same amount of stress that I was given through that two years of employment. I was physically sick with anxiety several times through that period.

let the specialist make request for updating things in the system and encourage them to make these requests.

Dec 30, 2014Representative

We’re disappointed to hear your experience wasn’t positive. Your feedback is important and has been passed on to our leadership team. We want to take a minute to address a few of your ... More

Everything I hoped for and then some!

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Paycom leadership loves their employees! They know we don't have cushy corporate positions, almost every position is performance based. Recruiters even have quotas!! The in-house recruiters are really sales professionals. We make cold calls, pitch the deal, influence working professionals to make a change in career and almost ALL of our candidates are sourced from different internet sites. We literally present a sales pitch to get these top performers from other industries interested. It is not like any other recruiting department I have ever seen before and I love it! I am challenged but also rewarded with a strong compensation plan and great perks. We have an awesome team that knows we are needed to ensure Paycom can continue to grow and open new offices.

Cons

Very few people within the organization understand that Paycom recruiting is really selling Paycom every single day. We are just now getting to use all of the resources necessary with college, agencies and other things to staff the masses.

Keep growing. Keep hiring people like the recruiting leaders who bring outside ideas in and have a positive and fun personality. Additional vacation would be a plus and I know you guys are working on that as I type! Really we have an amazing team of dedicated professionals and I am so excited to see where we are next year and the years after. I am looking to a fun and challenging ride to industry dominance and getting a lot of great hires!

Growing Company Offering Excellent Career Growth

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Paycom is fast-paced, fun and vibrant. I'm challenged every day to be the best I can be. I manage a large group of employees and am thrilled to have the opportunity to help them grow in their career and to watch them build their skill sets by providing them with more and more opportunities every day. That comes with being part of a rapidly growing company!

Cons

Paycom is not able to offer much flexibility, like working from home, or working flexible hours. This is unfortunate, however it is understandable. Many of our employees deal with very confidential information, so to insure the safety of the data, it never leaves Paycom.

Rapid growth can sometimes breed confusion and chaos. Paycom needs to stay committed to open communication, regular "all employee" meetings and leadership development.

Paycom is a great place to grow

Current Employee - Paycom Team Leader in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Paycom Team Leader in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The challenges I face everyday help me grow personally and professionally. I started at the bottom and I'm determined to make it to the top, and to get there Paycom gives me clear steps. I've never worked for a company that cares so much about your growth. It's not for the weak though, the hard work you put in is directly related to the rewards you get. Paycom knows how to balance hard work and play, the culture is incomparable.

Cons

Any customer service job is a difficult industry to be in and dealing with paychecks takes it to another level. If you can learn to let things roll off your back then you can succeed.

Oct 22, 2014Representative

Thank you for telling others about your experience at Paycom. We value your hard work and dedication to the organization!

The best company with a cubicle setting in OKC

Former Employee - New Client Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Former Employee - New Client Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I worked at Paycom full-time (more than a year)

Pros

$1 medical insurance, $4 catered in lunches

Cons

Sitting in a cubicle, the rest is all great

Collaborative Team

I have been working at Paycom full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Paycom is a busy, fast paced environment. There is no shortage of work and the team I work with are there to help with anything I need. I have worked for a couple large companies such as Paycom and they have all had their challenges but here I have found that everyone is willing to support each other. If you need help all you have to do is ask. $1 insurance, $4 lunches, free gym are some nice perks too.

Cons

IT has this place locked down. I understand the rational behind it, it just makes getting some things done a little harder. Other than that it's a great place to work.

Oct 16, 2014Representative

Thank you for your review! We handle sensitive information which, as you noted, is why our IT security is very thorough. We appreciate your review and hope you have continued success at Paycom.

My experience was very pleasant.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I worked at Paycom full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Paycom offers great benefits to their employees.

Cons

Paycom has a ranking system with their employees.

They shouldn't rank their employees and should treat them more equally.

Terrible Environment...Untrue Reviews

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Paycom full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Training and Salary:

Training is quite extensive, yet in regard to applicable substance (applying the sales methodology in the field) its doesn't translate well to real life situations. Yet, when as a sales representative, you fall into the situations when the deal is easy to close (very rare), the amount of commission you can make is competitive to other payroll companies. However, the base salary is still 5 figures below what your going to get at the bigger competitors.

Cons

Culture, Management, Job Security:

Overall, this is a company that is lacking in each of these to the increasing detriment of all sales representatives.
    It's confusing because since the company has gone public, and is increasingly flush with cash, there still is a supreme lack attention paid to issues.

It might start with management since the majority of senior positions are filled with young 20 somethings that only have a year or 2 years of sales experience! This created several situations where sales representatives in my region either blatantly disregarded instructions from management due to their lack of knowledge and sales skills or management adopted draconian measures to keep track of sales representatives effectively destroying any sense of freedom to run, close, and process sales.

When it comes to culture, its a boiler room and don't let the interviewer tell you other wise. You have to perform or you will be sliced extremely quickly. Again, commissions are great when you do but this is a doubled-edged sword as even if you are at or exceeding your quota, you are forever asked "what you got next?"

- Weekly Quotas/Sell or get fired.

At the end of the day your quota does not matter, presidents club or otherwise. This
    has only gotten worse as the quarterly earnings reports that the company has to file are opportunities for C-Level staff to cut office spending on team contests and drive sales teams to work 13hr days to squeeze out more revenue to impress the stock holders. Again, you will be cut indiscriminately if you are seen as not abiding by this team mentality.

Also, there are christian attitudes impressed significantly upon the entire company. Often time the national sales call which are weekly, will intertwine sales success with prayers from senior management. Its extremely uncomfortable and I believe illegal.

Job Security, because of the above reasons, is always a guessing game. Not only can you be terminated for lack of continual performance, but you can be terminated for a "bad attitude". I've see reps dismissed instantly for "bumming the office out". Tough days in the job are in abundance, but you are not allowed to share those struggles.

Between the months long payroll setups - customers terminating their payment before commission is paid - Paycom charging your commission back because a customers termed before the 6 month mark - working on during black out holiday months (November / December)..etc. there will be many tough days.

This also goes the same for office politics. You have to be liked, in a personal sense (non-professional) by your direct supervisor or you will be first on the block. Again, I've seen representatives in my region perform well through out the year, and the in first down month they have had, their supervisor PIPs them and terminates them the proceeding month. And this was in the case of a representative exceeding quota up until that time.

Advice to Potential New Hires:

Apply to either Workday, ADP, ZenPayroll, Paylocity....etc.

Any of these will have Better Pay, Better Work Life Balance, and slightly better management.

Stop having team members write your own glassdoor reviews.
    This is suppose to be a neutral forum for potential new hires to assess if the company can be a fit for them.
    Learn that the annual surveys you run are not a reflection of the actual dissatisfaction stewing inside the organization. Staff and employees are afraid of voicing their real opinions in fear of instant termination.

More work than employees can handle and stay sane.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

Benefits, Corporate perks like cheap lunches, and a Gym that employees can use.

Cons

The company went public this year and stopped hiring even though business was coming in at a growing rate. This has made work life at Paycom very concerning. Turnover of great employees has resulted from this.

You need to hire at a lot faster rate than you currently are. There are workers doing the amount of work that 3 people should be doing.

Nov 03, 2014Representative

Thank you for your post and letting us know about your concern. As one of the fastest-growing companies in the country, we continually work to add talented employees to our staff. In fact, we are ... More