Paycom

Updated 18 October 2014
4.4

Paycom President Chad Richison
Chad Richison

Pros
  • If you put in the hard work they will definitely reward you back (in 12 reviews)

• Compensation is good and there is always room for growth in your career (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance at the beginning is definitely difficult (in 7 reviews)

• I guess if you don't like hard work it could be considered a con (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales Manager

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

First and foremost, the leadership here at Paycom is why this company is so successful and why the culture is truly one of a kind. You can tell a lot about a company by the way they treat their employees and at Paycom employees are not only highly compensated for their work but are also highly valued and you really see that with all of the tools, training program, and support that the company offers. You are given immense opportunity for upward mobility and success. I have been able to accomplish financial goals, career goals and other personal goals in far less time than many of my friends and family have in their entire career. I am very grateful for that!

Cons

As in any sales job, it's important that you not only have a strong work ethic but that you are also able to have a strong mental state. Some days you will be the hero and some days will not go your way so it's important that you can balance the highs and lows and keep a positive mindset. This career is certainly not for the faint of heart - you must be strong willed.

Maintaining the direct support as the company continues to grow.

Best Career choice I could have made.

Current Employee - Paycom Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Paycom Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company provides so much incentive, from catered lunches, luncheons sponsored by the company once a month, a weekend getaway at the end of every year, to VERY affordable health insurance. Paycom really looks out for their employee's. The work environment is great and the amount of training that is offered is incomparable. I feel fully equipped to conquer whatever the day might throw at me. Not to mention the base salary is well worth all the hard work.

Cons

The work load is not an easy one, but if you like to keep busy and can stay organized Paycom is most definitely a great place to work and to grow professionally. Some times of the year require more hours at the office, which can be exhausting, but that is just part of any job.

While training has helped me immensely, the required trainings can at times detract from my workload. If every other week I have to attend a required training and I have x amount of projects and calls to make, then I am being set up to get behind. There is a lot of expectation as far as my position goes, which I am capable of meeting. A more clear chain of priorities between personal development and taking care of clients and projects would make balancing these two more manageable.

So happy to be at Paycom!

Current Employee - Executive Sales Representative in Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Executive Sales Representative in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Paycom has been such a wonderful place to work and I can't imgaine being anywhere else! The opportunity they give to Sales Reps to make money and get promoted are great! If you put in the hard work they will definitely reward you back! All of the upper management members truly care about each rep's success and spend their personal time training all new reps that start working here. The culture and environment at Paycom is great- it truly feels like your colleagues are your family members. It seems like every week Paycom is growing and doing things to enhance the business. I have been here for over 3 years currently and can't wait to see what is in store for this great company over the next 3 years!

Cons

There are really not a lot of negatives with this job. Just be prepared to work longer hours than 9 to 5, and lots of miles will be put on your car if you are in outside sales.

Give a little more vacation time :-)

May 23, 2014Representative

We look forward to watching you continue to grow over the next three years as well. We appreciate you taking the time to tell others about working in sales at Paycom.

A place YOU can choose to make yourself successful

Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Finally a work environment where being successful, working hard and being positive about the possibility of the future is not only accepted but fostered. It doesn't matter how long you've been here, anyone that wants to step up can step up and you will experience growth and reward for doing so.

Cons

If you don't find the idea of hunting and the thrill of the close, which will ultimately push you way beyond the comfort zone you thought you lived in, you will likely not be happy here. It's tough to embrace that and to take risks when closing down a deal BUT once you learn to do that....how fun and exhilarating the whole sales process becomes!

Continue placing value in sales rep development - both professionally and personally- by sponsoring trainings and opportunities for continued learning

My experience at Paycom has been amazing thus far. My manager is very helpful and I love my team!

Current Employee - Executive Sales Representative in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Executive Sales Representative in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The money is great! Good culture and the people in management here seem to really care which is so rare.

Cons

I guess if you don't like hard work it could be considered a con... I really don't have any true cons though.

The only thing is that I would say some new people need more training if they don't have any b2b experience.

Read review: The Full True Story

Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

Some of the people I have met are amazing people that will find success no matter where they are or what they do.

Cons

The review titled "The Full True Story" really hits it on the nose for the most part.
    Work/life balance: There is no work life balance at Paycom. After 6 months you will accumulate about 1.5 days of vacation time so for the first year don't plan on doing anything with your family or friends.
    Micromanagement: You will work in an environment of micromanagement. So if you like to be micromanaged all day every day then this is perfect for you. You will be working from 7am till 6pm every day. You will be at the office on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays at 7am sharp and don't be late even though you won't really start making phone calls till 8:30am. That hour and a half is used for "pumping up" by playing silly games such as taboo, pictionary, or catch phrase. And if you try to use those early morning hours to do work and not participate in the games - you will not be allowed. On every Friday there is a conference call at 4pm that lasts about an hour or hour and a half so that everyone can read off their sales for the week to the whole country and that you must be present for and you must take from the office. It seems to me that it would be a better use of time and money to be working in the field that last hour of work on Fridays because I can easily read an excel spreadsheet myself without having someone else read it off to me. On Good Friday before Easter the call lasted until 6:30pm. Again no work/life balance.
    Training: They say the training is considered a mini MBA but I would say it is standard in sales and nothing crazy. I have been a part of much more intense training programs that lasted 16 weeks (versus Paycom 5 weeks of training including corporate) and where you would spend time with successful tenured reps in order to learn best practices. At Paycom I rode with a rep only 5 times and who had under a year of experience and no executive status. My manager was never involved in any of the training. After training I tried to get my manager to ride with me sometimes but was told that unless I had an appointment with an executive or it was a second call then they would not be helping me or riding with me. This is not the kind of feedback you want to hear fresh out of training and early on in your career at Paycom. You will not be trained on how to transition an account to the Paycom payroll - you will just learn as you go and hope for the best with your first payroll sale. So expect your first payroll transition to have many bumps and issues and expect to now dedicate most of your time to transitioning the payroll instead of looking for new business and selling.

Dedicate more to field training to new sales reps by partnering them with tenured successful reps. Stop wasting precious work hours with silly games in the morning and hour long conference calls every week that are redundant and do not provide any added benefit. It would be much more effective to send out via email every week the sales across the country to everyone and once a month host a conference call to highlight the biggest sales and why they were successful. This way Friday afternoons could be utilized making sales calls, having appointments, finding "rainbows" or doing extra training. Currently no one pays attention during the Friday conference call until their region is up and they have to speak. Otherwise the call is on mute and everyone is playing with their cell phones or doing other things.

Jul 17, 2014Representative

We value your feedback and are sorry to hear your viewpoints of our sales culture. We pride ourselves on the high-character individuals that make up our organization and know that a career with ... More

Good and Bad

Former Employee - Outside Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Consultant

I worked at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-outstanding learning structure
    -incredible opportunity for substantial income.
    -great focus on personal and professional development.
    -growing leadership structure.
    -positive and motivating c-level executives.
    -incredible growth rate with opportunity for career advancement.

Cons

-a high magnitude of redundant busy work.
    -micromanagement
    -sales cult of clones: one way to sell, and no other. Be prepared to drink the Koolaid.
    -training is tailored to mold the entry level rather than the experienced rep.
    -poor work-life balance. Average hours of 60+ per week with work being brought home and time taken away from personal and family life.
    -rewarding in the economical sense, but not a rewarding career otherwise.
    -young leadership with much to learn and unrealistic expectations.
    -numerous competitors in the industry.

Great Sales Career

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Paycom culture is exciting and energetic. There is plenty of room to grow and the benefits are great!

Cons

Hard work and long hours, but it's worth it!

The most Complacent and Gratifying place to work!

Current Employee - Marketing Database Administrative in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Database Administrative in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

THE BEST work environment, GYM (open on weekends) boot camps/Zumba, tasty catered lunches for only $4(Qdoba, Interurban, Sophabellas, Swadley's), $1 health care, beautiful building, optional training offered throughout each month, growing company with so much room for personal and professional growth!

Cons

Honestly, compared to all my other jobs i cannot think of a single con here at Paycom.

Paycom is a wonderful place to grow and succeed

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Paycom makes sure to show all of their employees appreciation, whether it be through company events, trips, or even just words of encouragement. The founders of Paycom instilled a great company culture from the get go and it can still be seen 15 years later. Paycom also is great about advancement by constantly giving career opportunities and they provide great benefits for their employees.

Cons

The vacation and sick policy isn't ideal, however, you will enjoy being at work and will not want to take a day off if you don't have to!

May 23, 2014Representative

Thank you for letting others know about your experience at Paycom.