Paycom Reviews

Updated 13 April 2015
188 reviews filtered by

Wonderful company to work for!

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The management works to develop you as an executive and truly cares about you and your progression with the company. There is no 'ceiling' of growth potential with Paycom. The benefits are great, $1 per pay period for health care! The compensation plans are incredible and commission is great - and paid

Cons

It is hard work, but yields high rewards! You really do put in what you get out, the longer hours the better the result and reward. One con is that the vacation time your first year is minimal.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! You are growing a successful company and with successful individuals.

It's ok

Former Employee - Paycom Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Former Employee - Paycom Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I worked at Paycom full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company is growing so I am sure there is opportunity for growth if you can get ahead of the 100 people more tenured in front of you.

Cons

Work-Life Balance: this company believe in burning you out quickly. If you can make through a year (specifically the end of the year) you can work harder and get ready for the end of the next year. the company is understaffed and underpaid for anyone lower than a supervisor level.

Advice to Management

Promote more people who deserve it and quit playing large corp politics mixed with small family politics of hiring friends of the bosses.

Dec 05, 2014Representative

We are sorry to hear you were not pleased during your time at Paycom. As one of the nation's fastest-growing companies, we are always looking for ways to improve and continue to look for talented ... More

Everything I hoped for and then some!

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Paycom leadership loves their employees! They know we don't have cushy corporate positions, almost every position is performance based. Recruiters even have quotas!! The in-house recruiters are really sales professionals. We make cold calls, pitch the deal, influence working professionals to make a change in career and almost ALL of our candidates are sourced from different internet sites. We literally present a sales pitch to get these top performers from other industries interested. It is not like any other recruiting department I have ever seen before and I love it! I am challenged but also rewarded with a strong compensation plan and great perks. We have an awesome team that knows we are needed to ensure Paycom can continue to grow and open new offices.

Cons

Very few people within the organization understand that Paycom recruiting is really selling Paycom every single day. We are just now getting to use all of the resources necessary with college, agencies and other things to staff the masses.

Advice to Management

Keep growing. Keep hiring people like the recruiting leaders who bring outside ideas in and have a positive and fun personality. Additional vacation would be a plus and I know you guys are working on that as I type! Really we have an amazing team of dedicated professionals and I am so excited to see where we are next year and the years after. I am looking to a fun and challenging ride to industry dominance and getting a lot of great hires!

Worst job I've ever had from the worst company I've ever worked for

Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I worked at Paycom

Pros

the pay plan was fairly aggressive, but still not proportional to the work involved. They don't require any payroll related experience from their employees, which is good for people that need jobs, but not very good for their clients.

Cons

Working at paycom was worst than working at restaurants growing up. their leadership team has no idea what's involved half of the companies positions, or the kind of stress that's pushed onto the payroll specialist. I was working there for two years under the most incompetent manager I could imagine. Paycom only promotes from within for most positions, so most of their management team has no experience outside of the company. adding this to their high turnover, most payroll specialist have only worked for the company for less than two years. the clients are trusting kids that have barely gotten out of college with a sociology degree, to make important tax adjustments for their company.

while working there as a payroll specialist, I was never properly shown how to validate taxes at the end of each quarter. because of this, my clients had huge tax issues each quarter that they were completely unaware of. The system doesn't keep track of taxes correctly for several reasons, so taxes needed to be manually adjusted for individual employees from about 20% of my clients each quarter end. Every time I had asked for help in any circumstance, I was refereed to a "senior specialist" on my team. The senior specialist have worked for the company for at least a year and are under more stress than the entire team since they have up to 150 individual clients, and are working on their own issues each day. our senior didn't have the time, tact, or desire to adequately walk me through the process.

while initially in appears that there is a lot of potential to move up in the company, there isn't really enough growth to have a likely chance of being promoted. while working there, I saw far more employees get fired over minor mistakes, than to see employees get promoted.

the computer system frequently changes with aesthetic updates, which do nothing to fix the abundant problems and glitches that frequently come up. they have hundreds of known glitches that never see any progress, while the programmers instead direct their attention at color schemes.

while paycom does have training programs for their payroll specialist, they are extremely minimal. since the computer system changes so often, training is a constant thing. the specialist don't get much of a chance to experience the new system before an update happens, so when the clients call in with all of the new questions, as a specialist you'll have to research everything on your own. the team leaders who are over the specialist don't deal directly with the actual computer system once their promoted, and usually aren't able to keep informed of the constant system changes. as a specialist, you have no one to ask for help from when clients come up with an issue your unfamiliar with. If you ask around to the other specialist, you get different answers from each of them.

through my training some of the focuses were " never let a client know how little experience you have" , " never let your clients know how many clients you actually have", and my personal favorite, " always have the clients fix their own problems, even if you could help them significantly" . there were several occasions that came up with that last topic. For the two years that I worked there, I was only allowed to work overtime through Christmas and new years. no specialist are allowed to take any days off for all of December since the w2's are needing to be filed. I never had enough time to help my clients solve their issues. when I tried to, I was told that I was wasting time, and needed to focus on other things.

In the end, my manager overloaded me with work and through constant meetings pulling me away from all of the workload I was given, I had far too much stress to continue employment there. The health insurance was nice. the cafeteria only served salads 90% of the time. while I was originally told that my focus was the clients and to make their experience better, I was never equipped to do that, and constantly told otherwise by my direct manager. this was the worst job that I've ever taken, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemies. I hope to never encounter the same amount of stress that I was given through that two years of employment. I was physically sick with anxiety several times through that period.

Advice to Management

let the specialist make request for updating things in the system and encourage them to make these requests.

Dec 30, 2014Representative

We’re disappointed to hear your experience wasn’t positive. Your feedback is important and has been passed on to our leadership team. We want to take a minute to address a few of your ... More

If you want a career Paycom is the best.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

Promotes from within, competitive salary levels, excellent training team that provides continued education for employees, competitive benefit packages, and a upbeat and "fun" culture to be a part of.

Cons

We only hire the best so the interview process is intense. To become a Paycom employee is a badge of honor.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your people, they are the future of the company.

Nov 17, 2014Representative

Thank you for taking the time to tell others about your experience at Paycom! You are right on the interview process as Glassdoor ranked Paycom one the Top 25 Most Difficult Companies to Interview!

Great place to work for Personal, financial, and Professional Growth!

Current Employee - New Client Team Lead in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - New Client Team Lead in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best part of working at Paycom is that the Leadership team is completely committed to developing its employees. not only at work, but there are training topics that cover Personal growth, Leadership, Professional Growth, and how to manage difficult situations, which we ALL face in our lives.

Cons

This job can be challenging, however, if you like to grow, this is where you NEED to be. If you want to exceed your expectations and flourish, this is where you NEED to be. In business, we are either declining, or growing. Of course, the better end of this is to grow and with that comes Growing Pains!

Advice to Management

Keep driving and encourage people. Keep the culture as Building people up, and not tear them down. Continue to be slow to punish, but Quick to reward. Empower, Motivate, Inspire, Serve, and keep Growing.

Best Career I Ever Had!

Current Employee - Supervisor in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

All the change and opportunity is by far superior to any other company I have worked. Any position here is challenging but the bigger picture is always explained and we all know what we are working towards.

Paycom gives you the opportunity to innovate and create change. There is not a lot of red tape here. You have an idea, go for it. You are highly encouraged to help grow the company and find better ways of doing things. In turn, this makes you a more experienced professional and builds your business intellect.

There are so many things that the HR team and department managers give us to make an incredible working experience.

Cons

We definitely need more internal efficiencies. We are growing so fast and there are the normal growing pains but we are really good at perfecting our processes. Automation would rapidly transform our business to become even faster growing. More people energy could go into innovation and progress if we spent less time on manual work.

The amazing thing about "cons" with Paycom, is we quickly address and make change happen. Nothing remains a "con" for very long.

Advice to Management

Continue to give us the opportunity to help grow Paycom. Continue to provide feedback, praise, and gratitude and your employees will continue to stay loyal. Continue to hire intelligent, hardworking, innovative, contributors. Consumers with victim mentalities will only slow us down. Continue to grow yourselves, each other, and all your employees into competitive business professionals. I challenge you to grow Paycom at 50%!!!!!

The best and most exciting company in OKC

Current Intern - Anonymous
    Current Intern - Anonymous

I have been working at Paycom as an intern (more than 3 years)

Pros

Paycom is a fun, positive company to work for. I've been employed at Paycom for 3 years and have loved every minute of it. The employees and management are willing to work hard to get the job done, even if it means working overtime and weekends sometimes. If you are not willing to dedicate yourself to your job, this would not be a good fit. However, they seem to have the hiring process down to find the right people. You will be surrounded by smart, energetic, and hard working people here.

The pay starts out competitively with other entry-level jobs but quickly surpasses those salaries. They know their employees work hard, and they compensate them for it when they know they are going to stick around. The health insurance is $1. The lunches and employee activities are great. It's truly a place that strives to do well first by treating employees well.

The company also has its own extensive training program in place. You will never have a question that you can't find an answer to - there's a great support system built inside the company.

Cons

It is hard to take time off, and working overtime during the holidays can be rough as it's the busiest time of the year in the payroll industry. There are also silly activities that can sometimes make it feel more like a high school than a professional atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! Listen to employees when they keep saying vacation time is an issue and see if you can fix it. Other than that, best management in OKC by far.

Growing Company Offering Excellent Career Growth

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Paycom is fast-paced, fun and vibrant. I'm challenged every day to be the best I can be. I manage a large group of employees and am thrilled to have the opportunity to help them grow in their career and to watch them build their skill sets by providing them with more and more opportunities every day. That comes with being part of a rapidly growing company!

Cons

Paycom is not able to offer much flexibility, like working from home, or working flexible hours. This is unfortunate, however it is understandable. Many of our employees deal with very confidential information, so to insure the safety of the data, it never leaves Paycom.

Advice to Management

Rapid growth can sometimes breed confusion and chaos. Paycom needs to stay committed to open communication, regular "all employee" meetings and leadership development.

Good but a little too busy

Former Employee - Software Quality Assurance in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Former Employee - Software Quality Assurance in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I worked at Paycom full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Close knit type of company

Cons

Only close knit if you are in sales