Peace Corps

Peace Corps Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Peace Corps Acting Director Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Pros
  • Leadership experience, learn a new language, experience new cultures(in 31 reviews)

• You go planning to meet really interesting Host Country Nationals (HCN) and you end up meeting some amazing fellow Americans as well(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Admin doesn't quite understand the realities of being a volunteer, but that depends country to country(in 21 reviews)

• Five-year rule causes too much turn over, you need to be looking for a new job when you walk in the door(in 7 reviews)

Guatemala Peace Corps

Peace Corps Volunteer (Former Employee)

ProsWonderful staff and many opportunities to develop projects and grow professionally

ConsNo work life balance. No freedom. Priorities are on keeping the post open, not on the life of the volunteers or the projects

Great organization if finding value in your work is important to you.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTravel, challenge and essentially managing your own schedule and projects

ConsLimited oversight from management made certain projects difficult to complete

Great life experience

Peace Corps Volunteer (Former Employee) Jalapa (Nicaragua)

ProsCultural/language/technical training, the host country staff is great and I grew so much as a person during my 27-month service.

ConsThings are SLOW with DC. Reimbursements, medical requests all took a very long time to be "approved" by DC and then getting back to me.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Truly the hardest job you will ever love

Peace Corps Volunteer (Former Employee) Asuncion, Central (Paraguay)

ProsYou have time by yourself, but also make amazing friends halfway around the world. You learn how to be creative, to be a self-starter, and to not give up. You learn how to embrace failure and ask for support. And you may just learn a language that you will never use again.

ConsNot a lot of support in some countries. I was lucky and had an amazing Peace Corps team, but I have heard that is not the same in all countries.

Great Training, Work, and Travel

English Teacher Trainer (Former Employee) Ulaanbaatar (Mongolia)

ProsAs a volunteer and as a staff member, I have seen PC from different angles. I was able to spend more than 2 years as a paid-volunteer overseas. In that time, I learned a new language, a new culture, and international experience. I was well taken care of, and I didn't spend any of my own money (except for the blood tests I had to get before I left). As an employee, I could not have had a better experience. They love their staff, and they take care of them. It is a lot of work, but I never felt overwhelmed and the benefits were great.

ConsThe volunteer application is very long. Mine took a year, but other's took longer. You will be "roughing" it for two years. Don't expect first class accommodations. However, this is what a lot of people want out of their experience, the chance to live with locals in a developing country.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to find ways to keep volunteers safe and healthy. My experience was fine, but there is always room for improvement.

Great experience

Community Development Voluneer (Former Employee) Victoria (Grenada)

ProsFantastic learning, great friends, beautiful sights, and an opportunity to make a difference and travel the world!

ConsFar from home (but you know that going in), difficult fitting into the culture

Volunteer

Volunteer (Former Employee) Senegal (Brazil)

ProsVolunteer while living abroad with a paid stipend, excellent medical care, and language training. Peace Corps is well respected within the development community and is an excellent resume builder for someone looking to start an international career.

ConsDifficult working conditions, incompetent bureaucracy, and safety issues. The high degree of staff turnover and differences in work culture between local staff and American volunteers creates a hard to navigate bureaucracy that makes even the simplest tasks difficult. Peace Corps field positions are amazing, life-changing experience but much of your time may be spend wrangling with administrative tasks.

Great experience! I highly recommend it!

Community Economic Development Volunteer (Former Employee) Arequipa, Arequipa (Peru)

ProsI think the pros are obvious. You get to live in another country and experience a foreign culture like very few Americans have. You gain a perspective on development that is very difficult to get anywhere else.

ConsSometimes you do feel the bureaucracy of the Federal Government. The pros outweigh the cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp out your volunteers when they need it.

Exceptional, Challenging Experience

Peace Corps Volunteer Health (Former Employee) Brikama Ba (Gambia)

Pros- PAID field experience
    - diverse options in terms of location placement, work opportunities, experiences i.e. health sector vs agfo, Latin America vs Eastern Europe, rural bush life vs island life vs developing urban area
    - unique opportunity for international experience while serving your nation
    - a large degree of freedom to determine your own work i.e. pick your own project

- NCE when you complete service
    - graduate school fellowships/scholarships

Cons- minimal input on country placement (could be a pro or a con, depending on your perspective)
    - limited emphasis placed on M&E of projects
    - limited institutional memory - can often feel like reinventing the wheel
    - placement country and staff capabilities vary heavily

Really wonderful experience but can be a crap-shoot

Peace Corps Volunteer (Former Employee) Kigali, Kigali (Rwanda)

ProsTest your independence, great philosophy of working on a grass roots level and respecting host country nationals, an incredibly unique and potentially very rewarding experience.

ConsPC didn't do a great job with matching volunteers with their interests all the time. Other volunteers weren't as driven as expected. It's the US government and things can get bureaucratic/politicy

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a shorter, but more rigorous application process and baby volunteers less (especially during training). Allow volunteers more control over their placements.

Worked for Peace Corps? Contribute to the Community!