Peace Corps

Peace Corps Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Peace Corps Acting Director Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Pros
  • Leadership experience, learn a new language, experience new cultures(in 31 reviews)

• You go planning to meet really interesting Host Country Nationals (HCN) and you end up meeting some amazing fellow Americans as well(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Admin doesn't quite understand the realities of being a volunteer, but that depends country to country(in 21 reviews)

• Five-year rule causes too much turn over, you need to be looking for a new job when you walk in the door(in 7 reviews)

Great experience, would recommend to anyone interested in working abroad

Volunteer (Former Employee)

ProsFlexibility and insightful experience, would highly recommend to anyone

ConsStrict policies and procedures when out of site

Wonderful, life changing experience

Business Development (Former Employee) Yerevan (Armenia)

ProsGreat place to learn about new cultures, grow as a person and really appreciate what it means to be an American.

ConsA lot of government bureaucracy and reporting, but understandable as a way to measure volunteer and program success.

Advice to Senior ManagementFlesh out volunteer assignments and host families better so volunteers have easier transitions.

Rewarding but challenging

TEFL Volunteer (Former Employee)

ProsGet to live abroad, they really take care of you, get to learn a new language, you'll always have a good story in future interviews.

ConsYou can get stuck in a bad situation. Peace Corps isn't very responsive to individual volunteers needs if their name is on the line.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be better feedback mechanisms for discontent. I and other volunteers felt very shut out at time, especially with legitimate isses.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Highly Recommended for Anyone Considering a Career in Development

ProsAs a Peace Corps Volunteer, you are "in the trenches" of international development work on a daily basis for two years. The perspective you will gain in regards to what makes an effective development project on the ground/community level is eye-opening and invaluable if you plan to pursue development work as a career. Every day can bring something different and surprise you in the ways that you can contribute to your host community.

ConsEvery Peace Corps experience is very different from the next, so any of the points in this review can be viewed as pros or cons, depending on your personality, expectations, and country/community assignment. One con for me is that Peace Corps is a highly unstructured program. I was assigned to a very disorganized community and host organization, neither of which had any motivation in engage in development projects. Identifying long-term projects and training my host organization was a long and frustrating process.

Life changing

ProsThe opportunity to take time out of your life to learn about others is phenomenal. We're there as ambassadors; learning about the people we're there for. The developing world is doing just that, developing.

ConsThe program itself is lacking; being there under the countries expectations is only appropriate if the country wants Peace Corps to develop and support. Not supplement what the country doesn't retain.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the program already, JFK understood the importance of change.

Insightful Experience

Youth Development Volunteer (Former Employee) Rabat (Morocco)

ProsLive abroad
    Work with a community
    Learn a new language
    Get to know a new culture
    Plenty of resources
    Great friends

ConsIsolation
    Little to no contact with USA
    A little disorganized
    Lack of transportation

Advice to Senior ManagementDC headquarters needs more direct communication with PCVs.

A small dysfunctional federal bureaucracy

Senior Staff (Former Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsAs a staff member, civil service salaries and benefits are the best in the nation. As a volunteer in the field, the experience is usually very positive thanks to host country people.

ConsToo many unqualified political appointees at HQ. Overseas staff not always well-qualified, resulting in hardships for volunteers. Very little oversight in Washington or overseas offices.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to volunteers. Focus on quality management for the long-term. Cut the bs.

Depends on your own experience and what you make of it

ProsGreat way to open to your eyes to what's actually out there and learn about different culture from your own perspective instead of the media's.

ConsWill need to learn to be more dependent on yourself because most likely Peace corps and your host country will not be as supportive as you would hope.

The toughest job that you'll be too embarrassed to admit you hate.

PCV (Former Employee) Nairobi (Kenya)

ProsFantastic experience, graduate degree fellowships, language skills, life time friends.

ConsPay isn't great, difficult living arrangements, no clear direction for upward mobility.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost of the training and application process is about building realistic expectation for the experience.

It is amazing how many people still go in without realistic expectations.

Toughest job you'll ever love

ProsAutonomy to explore any projects and careers that you want, learn language and culture, be able to work with local communities and share their culture.

ConsLots of alone time or time drinking coffee with your neighbors watching dust blow by.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be great if training provided more skills in emotional intelligence skills or sessions in the soft skills... I also wish they spoke more about the political decisions of why some countries and sites are chosen.

Worked for Peace Corps? Contribute to the Community!