Peace Corps Reviews

Updated 30 September 2014
4.3

Peace Corps Acting Director Carrie Hessler-Radelet
Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Pros
  • Leadership experience, learn a new language, experience new cultures (in 32 reviews)

• You go planning to meet really interesting Host Country Nationals (HCN) and you end up meeting some amazing fellow Americans as well (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Admin doesn't quite understand the realities of being a volunteer, but that depends country to country (in 22 reviews)

• Peace Corps has a "five-year rule" which limits employment and reduces institutional memory (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great experience with a lot of learning and continuous change

Former Employee - Financial Specialist  in  Rabat (Morocco)
    Former Employee - Financial Specialist in Rabat (Morocco)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Peace Corps has a lot to offer in terms of personal development. It is a great organization to work for non-profit in terms of different tasks and activities.

Cons

Rotating management can sometimes be exhausting. Also, training opportunities are limited in terms of software training, certificates like project management and continuing education.

Invest in training of local employees at host countries and open job rotation overseas for them whenever possible. They have a lot to offer.

A worthwhile experience

Former Employee - PCV Madagascar
    Former Employee - PCV Madagascar

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Minimal oversight
    - You get what you put in
    - Great training

I was a year out of college and placed as a health volunteer in a coastal village in Madagascar. Halfway through my service I decided that health education was not the best way to leave an impact on my community, so I started a business with a local family to dry and sell fruit and teach sustainable business practices. It was awesome. The experience and the friends are forever.

Cons

- Limited structure (if you need structure)
    - Poor post-service career choices unless you want to work in development or education

Peace corps provides fantastic soft skills and perspective. If you are fixed in your ways, you will learn to be flexible or fail. However, unless you intend to pursue a career based on soft skills (politics, sales, NGO work), you are going to have a rough time readjusting. I'm transitioning to engineering, so there's a big skill gap that I need to make up.

RPCV

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros

Grassroots and HQ experience. Fantastic opportunity to travel and gain a foothold in international development.

Cons

Experience necessitates personal growth and development, in country and HQ staff offers little support

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you are committed to helping people in the developing world and have some ideas for programs that you would like to develop and test, this is an ideal environment. PC provides language training, some additional education, the Peace Corps brand, some say "government issued and a stipend. There does not appear to be a requirement to comply with performance standards nor a penalty for spending your days watching videos.

Cons

Egregious violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act. It took 2,5 years of applications, document submissions and appeals to be finally accepted with ADHD. You might think that once you finally get in your difficulties are over, but not so! They repeatedly harassed me and tried to fire me. Finally did...

Wonderful experience of truly living in another country, however Peace Corps provided little positive support.

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to learn a new language and understand a different culture the way many will never get the opportunity to. It provides you with great independence and the opportunity to work on leadership and project development skills (which are great for a variety of future careers). The monthly stipend you receive is enough to let you live in the village you're in, but if you plan on traveling around you will need to come with some money from home.

Cons

Just like working with any government agency, there are many rules and regulations in place. I personally lived in a smaller country so I had a lot of unwanted control on my projects and schedules. Usually if you are working for an organization, it is expected that you have management and supervision from superiors. However, because you are told to be independent and to be an individual volunteer in your respective communities, it is hard to truly make an impact and do projects that you think will benefit your community when you feel constricted my Peace Corps' regulations and management. The amount of control you feel from your supervisors differs from the type of person is staffed there at the time. It may be worthwhile, before accepting your invitation to the country, to ask people currently serving there now about their opinion of the director and program managers.

environmental volunteer, South America

Former Employee - Environmental Volunteer
    Former Employee - Environmental Volunteer

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working in Peace Corps ensures a unique experience and opportunities to learn new skills that you may otherwise not have had the opportunity to learn like a second language, grant writing, project management, etc. There is also the chance to truly connect with another culture and people.

Cons

There are countless challenges for volunteers including but not limited to: being sick often, lower standards of hygiene, struggling with a new language, feelings of isolation or not having enough privacy, missing everything from home - people, pets, food, music and more. Also getting used to a new culture with different values which can sometimes be hard for an American and the slow pace of project development in rural or smaller sites. Aside from these things coming home after the 2 years can be stressful - Adjusting back to American life and looking for a job

PC

Former Employee - Community Development Volunteer  in  Chaplinka (Ukraine)
    Former Employee - Community Development Volunteer in Chaplinka (Ukraine)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time

Pros

Great international experience, learned to take initiative and importance of cultural in doing business

Cons

little institutional support, need more support from US Peace Corps and in country staff

Life changing experience - 'the toughest job you'll ever love'

Current Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer
    Current Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Being a Peace Corps Volunteer is a unique and life changing experience. Also if you're starting a career in international development it is absolutely essential to have this experience first - there's no other job or organization that will allow you to learn a local language and live like a local. Without this viewpoint it's impossible to become nearly as effective an international development professional.

Cons

Often peace corps volunteers struggle with the isolation of being a PCV, but overcoming this is also one of the positive parts of the experience.

Stop being so soft on volunteers and stop being afraid to admin sep people. Staff should treat being a PCV as a job, and if PCVs aren't doing their job they should be fired.

Life Changing Experience with Peace Corps

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

Pros

My time at Peace Corps changed the way I think and my own beliefs. I loved being able to experience the world in a drastically new way with all the different experiences out there.

Cons

The experience is one of the most challenging things you will do in your life and certainly not for everyone. You have to be very driven and willing to handle new experiences.

The Peace Corps management is too top heavy and needs to be more volunteer or local staff driven.

Great experience, no regrets.

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros

Offers an opportunity to discover new cultures, philosophies, languages, and people. Work can be slow, frustrating, and hard, but once you find your groove it can be the most rewarding work you've ever done.

Cons

Training could have been more focused on work related issues. Head office staff can be unhelpful and sometimes just incompetent.

Program managers could offer more support in terms of projects and work contacts. Of course, program managers will vary by country so you will have to wait and see.

Worked for Peace Corps? Contribute to the Community!