Peace Corps Reviews

Updated 28 October 2014
4.3

Peace Corps Acting Director Carrie Hessler-Radelet
Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Pros
  • Leadership experience, learn a new language, experience new cultures (in 33 reviews)

• You go planning to meet really interesting Host Country Nationals (HCN) and you end up meeting some amazing fellow Americans as well (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Admin doesn't quite understand the realities of being a volunteer, but that depends country to country (in 22 reviews)

• Peace Corps has a "five-year rule" which limits employment and reduces institutional memory (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Wonderful experience of truly living in another country, however Peace Corps provided little positive support.

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get to learn a new language and understand a different culture the way many will never get the opportunity to. It provides you with great independence and the opportunity to work on leadership and project development skills (which are great for a variety of future careers). The monthly stipend you receive is enough to let you live in the village you're in, but if you plan on traveling around you will need to come with some money from home.

Cons

Just like working with any government agency, there are many rules and regulations in place. I personally lived in a smaller country so I had a lot of unwanted control on my projects and schedules. Usually if you are working for an organization, it is expected that you have management and supervision from superiors. However, because you are told to be independent and to be an individual volunteer in your respective communities, it is hard to truly make an impact and do projects that you think will benefit your community when you feel constricted my Peace Corps' regulations and management. The amount of control you feel from your supervisors differs from the type of person is staffed there at the time. It may be worthwhile, before accepting your invitation to the country, to ask people currently serving there now about their opinion of the director and program managers.

environmental volunteer, South America

Former Employee - Environmental Volunteer
    Former Employee - Environmental Volunteer

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working in Peace Corps ensures a unique experience and opportunities to learn new skills that you may otherwise not have had the opportunity to learn like a second language, grant writing, project management, etc. There is also the chance to truly connect with another culture and people.

Cons

There are countless challenges for volunteers including but not limited to: being sick often, lower standards of hygiene, struggling with a new language, feelings of isolation or not having enough privacy, missing everything from home - people, pets, food, music and more. Also getting used to a new culture with different values which can sometimes be hard for an American and the slow pace of project development in rural or smaller sites. Aside from these things coming home after the 2 years can be stressful - Adjusting back to American life and looking for a job

PC

Former Employee - Community Development Volunteer in Chaplinka (Ukraine)
    Former Employee - Community Development Volunteer in Chaplinka (Ukraine)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time

Pros

Great international experience, learned to take initiative and importance of cultural in doing business

Cons

little institutional support, need more support from US Peace Corps and in country staff

Life Changing Experience with Peace Corps

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My time at Peace Corps changed the way I think and my own beliefs. I loved being able to experience the world in a drastically new way with all the different experiences out there.

Cons

The experience is one of the most challenging things you will do in your life and certainly not for everyone. You have to be very driven and willing to handle new experiences.

The Peace Corps management is too top heavy and needs to be more volunteer or local staff driven.

Great experience, no regrets.

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros

Offers an opportunity to discover new cultures, philosophies, languages, and people. Work can be slow, frustrating, and hard, but once you find your groove it can be the most rewarding work you've ever done.

Cons

Training could have been more focused on work related issues. Head office staff can be unhelpful and sometimes just incompetent.

Program managers could offer more support in terms of projects and work contacts. Of course, program managers will vary by country so you will have to wait and see.

Best experience of my life

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros

A unique opportunity to live in another culture, experience a world apart from your own, and face and overcome some of the most challenging situations you will ever face.

Cons

The life of a PCV can be lonely. In addition, many volunteers go to Peace Corps with a goal of doing "something" for the host community. My experience was that this was more of a relationship building and personal growth experience than a development experience.

Volunteering is a Challening, Life-changing Opportunity

Current Employee - Volunteer in Pretoria, Gauteng (South Africa)
    Current Employee - Volunteer in Pretoria, Gauteng (South Africa)

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

+ Hands-on learning opportunity you'd never get in another entry-level job
    + Learn about and make lifelong friends from different cultures
    + See an interesting part of the world
    + Amazing support system
    + Everything is covered - health care, dental, vision, plane tickets, etc.

Cons

- Obviously living in a developing community is very challenging, isolating, and stressful
    - Sometimes Peace Corps doesn't do the best job matching volunteers with assignments, but it looks like they're trying to fix that with the new application system.

Diverse experiences, significant challenges, very rewarding.

Former Employee - Small Business Development Advisor in Chisinau (Moldova)
    Former Employee - Small Business Development Advisor in Chisinau (Moldova)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Peace Corps provides support for you to take on many different challenges relating to language and cultural differences. The opportunities to exchange culture, knowledge, and skills are unmatched. If you are open to learning as much, if not more, from your host country partners as you will do to help them,. this is an opportunity for you!

Cons

Potentially challenging living conditions, although that varies greatly by assignment. If you are not proactive in overcoming challenges this is not for you.

It is what you make it.

I have been working at Peace Corps

Pros

You can now choose where you go.

Cons

You might just be a political pawn somewhere..

Best experience of my life

Former Employee - Youth Volunteer
    Former Employee - Youth Volunteer

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Learning another language
    Expanding global awareness
    Good staff support

Cons

Very bureaucratic
    Significant amount of paperwork