Pearson
www.pearson.com London, United Kingdom 5000+ Employees

Pearson Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

John Fallon

Pros:
  • "There is an excellent work-life balance; overtime is hardly ever necessary"
    in 52 reviews
  • "Almost all of my colleagues with families work from home twice a week"
    in 28 reviews
Cons:
  • "Lack of transparency between upper management & finance with the feet on the street"
    in 32 reviews
  • "Sometimes might need to work for long hours, imbalance work for developers"
    in 25 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good place to work with

Manager At 190 (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 8 years

ProsPeople are great. Working environment good. Benefits good. Salary acceptable.

There is a very strong focus on delivering services to customers that will really improve lives. A strong mission and one that throughout the company (most) people buy into.

You are worked hard, but their is a strong sense of job satisfaction.

ConsCareer development is limited. For an education company they show surprisingly little interest in educating their staff. The company pays lip service to the idea but in reality most teams are too overstretched to have time for personal development. No great interest in supporting their staff to gain industry-recognised certifications.

Although the company ethos is positive and enlightened, managers at all levels struggle to translate this into a positive working environment. A lot of stifling compliance-focused management. Definitely, there is a clique of showy people who get ahead.

Recent company-wide restructure has confused most staff; a lot aspirational waffle which translates to a confused strategy. Improved communication required.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove investment in technology.
Improve communication.
Pay has become an issue in the last few years and this needs to be addressed.

Good people, decent company, lack of direction sometimes

IT Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFriendly, lots of potential to move around, decent like minded people, good work life balance - can do decent hours and work from home when needed. Decent company mission and people who believe in the products

ConsHuge amount of change with not enough communication. Lack of strong leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should be more firm in implementing technologies, processes. Need to be strong and communicate strategy better

Fantastic mission - could do better with the execution

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe mission "to help people make progress in their lives through learning" is great. There is also a move to better do that through being outcomes focused rather than inputs through educational materials. There are so many talented people in the organisation who are great work colleagues.

ConsThe recent reorganisation could have been better managed, both in terms of change management and how change affects individuals as well as much more transparency and a fairer process for selection to senior roles. Individuals have been mapped to roles with a lack of thought to strengths and skills set in many cases as they probably wanted to reduce amounts paid out in redundancies where they could so better to be slotted to anything regardless of how closely that matched previous experiences. Internal talent has been undervalued whilst external talent has had more value placed on them without evidence of this being realised as yet.
There is not enough of a focus yet on digital and innovative solutions and too much focus still on traditional textbook models. Additionally, there is still too much focus on North America and every product is developed with that market in mind first and foremost and not enough focus on developing markets and different and more innovative products and business models for those markets. There is too much paranoia around the North America market.

Advice to Senior Management- Ensure selection processes are truly fair for senior level roles
- Greater open-mindedness about talent and the different roles they can play
- Invest more in digital technology to create more innovative solutions
- Don't be so hamstrung by the textbook business
- Don't be so US focused
- Think more creatively about new markets and create new models for them rather than just trying to shoe-horn developed world solutions for them which ends up being a second class solution for learners with different needs

Developer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Pearson

Prosbig company lots of projects to get involved in, lots of changes on horizon

Consstill very much a publishing company, salaries are low, unpredictable atmosphere, lack of stability, limited or restrictive revenue model, internal politics is rampant. management treats employees like factory workers. confused company - they don't know whether they are a publishing company, a learning company, or a cloud education provider. unprofessional atmosphere.

Advice to Senior Managementbetter pay, open to new ideas, improve revenue streams, accept advertising, reduce politics, treat employees fairly, stop making changes all the time as customers do not know what the company stands for.

Really good people

Programmer Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pearson full-time for more than 10 years

Prosgreat benefits, good people, interesting work

ConsFairly low salaries, poor leadership,

Advice to Senior ManagementLive your values; brave, imaginative and decent

Great place to work, interesting colleagues and work/life balance. However, lots of change

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWork challenging in a good way. Met some really interesting people with varied backgrounds

ConsHuge uncertainty everywhere as senior management change organisation

Pearson Shared Services

London, England

I have been working at Pearson as a contractor for more than a year

ProsA lot of people there on permanant are on a cushy number sitting around in the canteen having meetings drinking coffee while get nothing done. Hours are good

ConsA lot of people are on a tempory contacts lasting over a year with no benefits so if you fancy not getting paid when you are sick not getting any pension (soon to get 1% forced by gov't) not getting a pay review in 1st year while you manager enjoys all of these perks come on board. Its a 2 tier system using the recession as an excuse a LOT of tax payers money idling in the bank without anyone even having the sense to invest it
A lot of finance outsourced to India who have never heard of bank reconciliations and do not employ enough staff and the ones they have do not understand simple accounts and have no real accountability to Pearson
Nothing can be sorted quickly without internal escalation processes designed to delay any action
Endless one to one meeting which are really one to zero setting you impossible to achieve targets due to internal probs above all desgned to give an excuse not to give you a with inflation rise
A contacts will have not one but about 4 sales people 'managing it' some working from home - we all know what that means! Get one of those jobs and you are sorted

Advice to Senior ManagementResign or at least don't believe your own BS

Lost Direction...

Somewhere In ELT (Former Employee)

I worked at Pearson full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe business aspires to be an open workplace and espouses high integrity values and culture

ConsIn reality it fails epically to live-up to it's own ideals because there are too many climbers, hiders and bullies

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes, there are many amazing people in Pearson who are too often crushed and pushed aside for the glory of a few incompetents.

A decent comapny

London, England

I have been working at Pearson full-time for less than a year

ProsA great feeling of purpose. The company is really serious about improving people's lives through learning.

ConsWe tend to discuss things for ages instead of doing them.

Some incredibly talented people, a lot of poor managers

Management Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pearson as a contractor for more than 5 years

ProsRespected brand
Some very talented individuals especially those working with cutting edge technologies
Big potential for change across the board - education and publishing industries (both of which Pearson are Yesteryear/today's leaders) are going through a massive amount of change... if done right, Pearson will remain leaders - however from what I have seen this is doubtful.

ConsStifling bureaucracy
A massive amount of resistance to change - as the business attempts to define and move towards a digital first strategy, there are too many people placing roadblocks trying to keep the status quo.
Weak management
Not a true meritocracy - people promoted due to length of service not necessarily expertise or solid performance - leading to pure incompetence (although there are a few who really do think outside the box and contribute to the digital first strategy positively).

Advice to Senior ManagementEnforce change

Worked for Pearson? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pearson reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Pearson CEO John Fallon. All 652 reviews are posted anonymously by Pearson employees.