Pearson Reviews

1008 reviews filtered by
3.1
1,008 Reviews
John Fallon

Pros
  • Work-life balance can be upset during busy periods but I've experienced worse (in 71 reviews)

• Telecommute opportunities so you can work from home 1 or 2 days a week (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of transparency between upper management & finance with the feet on the street (in 38 reviews)

• Nobody leaves (which is probably a "pro" for the company) so there's not much room for advancement (in 15 reviews)

1. .

Current Employee - Resource & Training Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Resource & Training Manager in London, England

I have been working at Pearson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People, opportunities, impact on learners, size to change things, long reach, broad impact

Cons

Too big to be agile,

2. Varied, challenging and ambitious!

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Corby, Northamptonshire, East Midlands, England

I have been working at Pearson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is diverse and has lots of sub-divisions covering a wide range of educational, training and learning initiatives and businesses.

Being a global organisation, it has a large workforce and some fantastic employee schemes and benefits in place, as well as useful internal resources to share best practice and seek assistance when needed.

Cons

Being so large, it is difficult to keep up with what is happening in other business areas and how they are performing, what they are up to etc.

Advice to Management

Perhaps to allow more opportunity to explore other areas of the businesses and express interest in other roles or areas.

3. Pearson gives me a sense of achievement and purpose in my career.

Current Employee - Field Army Assessor in Bristol, England
    Current Employee - Field Army Assessor in Bristol, England

I have been working at Pearson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pearson despite being huge, works at local levels where your opinion is valued.

Cons

There are no cons that come to mind.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, I am proud to work for this organisation.

easy work

Current Employee - Account Executive in London, England
    Current Employee - Account Executive in London, England

I have been working at Pearson

Pros

very flexible and good work life balance.

Cons

favoritism and unprofessional. little or no training received. learn on the job

Advice to Management

pay more

6. Generally a great place to work, but depends on the team you're in

Current Employee - Project Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Project Manager in London, England

I have been working at Pearson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing mission, warm, intelligent and genuine people (mainly), solid benefits, global collaboration encouraged, fantastic internal collaboration platform, high level of flexibility and autonomy, always opportunities for learning

Cons

Some leaders are at best weak and at worst destructive, conflict avoidant culture causes distrust and lack of clarity, inconsistent systems and processes make life difficult and overly collaborative nature means decisions can be hard to pin down and stick to

Advice to Management

Be genuine, authentic, do as much face to face work with colleagues all over the world as you can. Showing your human side really impresses employees. Be role models - call people out when they're not behaving in the right way, and congratulate those who do. Find ways to visibly show that you care about our learners and our people.

7. I have found this company to be the best company I have worked for in over 20 years.

Current Employee - Internal Sales in Oxford, England
    Current Employee - Internal Sales in Oxford, England

I have been working at Pearson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere, the ambiance, the way we care about customers.
    I also enjoy the facilities and support we receive in our daily work-life.

Cons

There are a lot of office politics, and a lot of empire-building. Also, there are a lot of people who will happily cover errors on their part, while happily high-lighting others' mistakes as loudly as possible in an attempt to use smoke-and-mirrors to distract from their own mistakes.

There is also of attempts to persecute/prosecute people based on what MIGHT have happened, instead of treating incidents as lessons-learned and giving a further opportunity to carry on.

Advice to Management

Real boats rock.
    If there is not motion and churn - people are either hiding something, or doing nothing.
    If someone complains x, y, and z have not been done - carry out actions based on the OUTCOMES instead of worrying about how loud the shouting is...

At the end of the day: our jobs - overall, day-to-day - involve correcting problems, and helping learner outcomes.
    If a problem comes up, we're being paid to correct them.
    If someone doesn't like the fact that an error in action or judgement inconveniences them: tough. That's why we get paid.
    If someone doesn't like dealing with correcting problems - they should change jobs.

I feel this quite strongly.
    Again - real boats rock. The only ones which don't are cased in concrete and are not real at all.

8. Well paying company with very easy yet repetitive and tedious jobs.

Former Employee - General Processing Operative in Hellaby, England
    Former Employee - General Processing Operative in Hellaby, England

I worked at Pearson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The money is great and you are paid weekly on a Friday. There's plenty of overtime offered and this is paid as time and half so even more money! As for time off, it's not actively discouraged but as temporary staff, it's usually unnecessary and any holiday pay you build up is paid when you leave.

Cons

The jobs are highly repetitive and you're usually stuck on the same mundane task for the duration of your contact. The contracts are usually short but extended at the very last minute which can be frustrating; it would be nice to know whether you had a a job. If you're temporary staff and have spent a consecutive 9 months there, you are required to have a 4 week break and are not guaranteed work after said break. Even if you are brought back, you will probably be placed on a different team which I feel is ridiculous as you've been trained for one job but you come back and get trained for something else. Team leaders and higher ups are quite likely to give the lesser temporary employees highly mundane tasks that they can't be bothered to do themselves. It usually means that one person on the team becomes a bit of a lackey.

Advice to Management

People who are competent at one job should be put back on that job after the 4 week break. Employees on their 4 week break who have been competent should be guaranteed a job after the 4 weeks are up. Team leaders should be expected to do more of their own work rather than pawning it off to whichever employee will do it for them.

9. Relaxed environment with little possibilities for personal development

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Pearson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary and benefits, relaxed environment, staff retention is high unless you're made redundant

Cons

Poor management, lack of processes and procedures, poor communication, uncertainty in departments as to where the company is going

Advice to Management

Communication should be improved and more opportunities for employees to grow and advance should be looked into

A company of inner circles and boys clubs

I worked at Pearson full-time

Pros

reasonable pay and the general bonus situation was adequate at the time I was working for them

Cons

the worst possible people given people management jobs. The pdr system was hopeless and used against employees.

Advice to Management

promote people rather than get them to re-apply for jobs. They don't appreciate being told you can do the job but we don't want to pay you

11. Summer Intern at Pearson plc in London, 80 Strand

Former Intern - Intern in London, England
    Former Intern - Intern in London, England

I worked at Pearson as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The guidance and leadership shown by more senior team members was very helpful; communication was clearly a key part of the company's ethos and culture. Work-life balance as an intern was very good.

Cons

Often not provided with projects of an appropriate level - sometimes too difficult to work on without significant input from experienced colleagues, sometimes not enough work to keep busy.

Advice to Management

Opportunities to work on appropriate-level projects were sometimes lacking. Formalising the intern experience would be a great benefit, and providing more graduate opportunities would also be an attractive prospect.