Pentaho

Pentaho Chairman and CEO Quentin Gallivan

Quentin Gallivan

Amazing place to work

I have been working at Pentaho full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people are great and it's always fun to come to work. You feel like you're going to hang out with friends and get stuff done. I look forward to going to work every day.

ConsSome of the people are political and there are lots of growing pains as the company is rapidly getting bigger. That is a really small fraction, though, and I think it mostly affects management. There is really no formal on board training, which makes ramping up challenging. You have be comfortable with change and moving fast to fit in.

Nice try but not going anywhere

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Pentaho full-time for more than a year

ProsI loved the size and unique atmosphere. There are some wonderful people at this company. The benefits and work environment are second to none. The founders are excellent people and the engineers are a joy to work with and extremely intelligent. I enjoyed going to work here every day until politics and drama got in the way. Sales execs are more concerned with a CYA approach to metrics than they are in actually cornering the market by developing a dominating approach to winning business.

ConsThe product may be a winner but the reason the company is not growing at the rate it should is because the marketing department runs a good portion of the sales team. They are learning on the fly. The result? An eroding business plan with unrealistic expectations, they have succeeded in corrupting an environment that was once a great place to work. The entire team lacks communication, focus and discipline. The marketing team exhausts the sales team by asking for their opinions and then paralyzing them in group thought exercises. This brainstorming hell goes on for hours each week...with very little change taking place. I found myself singing Kumbiyah to appease the top brass rather than focusing on my job of selling a brand. There is a constant turnover on the sales side of the organization and they are burning through good people fast.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your sales reps out in the field. Force reps to do outbound prospecting, they are spoiled and rely entirely on what falls into their lap. Set metrics for a minimum amount of demos each month rather than accepted opportunities. Do you see how this caters to them accepted opportunities caters to their metrics? It has no defining qualities...Hire more sales engineers and start training people from the inside rather than looking elsewhere constantly. Pull the fire alarm and acquire visualizations out of the box to compete with tableau, jasper and good data. The market is becoming more competitive each day.

High Energy, pre-IPO company, great benefits, and interesting technology platform

Senior Java Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Pentaho full-time for more than a year

ProsTake good care of employee's, work hard, play hard - 3 week sprint cycles (Agile/Scrum) and lot's of different technology integration.

ConsCulture may not be a match for some people not into team drinking (full stocked bar). Still a young crowd in an open space floor plan (very noisy and distracting).

Could Have Potential

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pentaho full-time for more than a year

ProsHelpful coworkers to help you learn. People at your level in different areas are good people.

ConsPeople are unhappy in every position. People don't tend to stay long. Many good people leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on current employee base so people don't keep leaving due to discontent

Feb 24, 2014

Thanks for your honest feedback here. I’m happy to hear that you find coworkers to be helpful and welcome you to reach out to me to discuss your thoughts in detail. We’re always striving to make ... More

Awesome company, Awesome culture, poised for serious growth and opportunity

Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pentaho full-time for less than a year

ProsPentaho is an extremely well-run company from top to bottom with solid long term and short term plans for growth. Recently, some slight changes have been made to help grow the sales team, both for scaling, but also to allow those who succeed to grow within the company. Leadership is honest, direct, and keeps their eye on the ball. Everyone in the SF office is a winner, wants to succeed, and will lend a hand to help support new hires, and anyone else that could use assistance. Many people have been here for mulitple years, probably because Pentaho knows how to take care of its own. I have worked at start ups, large corps, and even a private established firm, Pentaho beats them all in terms of class, integrity and leadership. The main takeaway I have is the company has a strategic vision that is being implemented and is perpetuating our success. I truly feel like we are winning as an organization and everyone has the same attitude of wanting to do a great job for themselves, their teammates, and the company. It's just like sports where the best franchises, (Patriots, Steelers, Red Sox, etc) are perennial winners due to their solid top down leadership. Enough said.

ConsThis isn't an early stage start up so no unlimited vacation, throwing away stupid money on frills and things that don't really matter, and no catered lunch/breakfast everyday. If that is your main priority then don't come here. Also, there is only a Keurig coffee machine so maybe add drip coffee or something. But seriously, these are minor cons, just wanted to say something honest not just bs.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it going, Quentin is doing a great job leading us, just keep making good hires and keep us informed of all these transitions

Feb 24, 2014

Thank you for your thoughts and it’s wonderful to hear all the great things you have to say about Pentaho. We agree that this is an awesome company!

Great growing company

I have been working at Pentaho

ProsFast pace, fast growth, awesome tech

ConsNo downsides here unless you don't like a fast paced place

Feb 24, 2014

I want to thank you for your feedback here. It’s great to know you are optimistic about the company’s future! Feel free reach out to me if you would like to provide additional insight.

Best place to work IF you need to get paid while looking for the job you really want!

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pentaho full-time for more than a year

ProsPros: Richard Daley (founder) is a pioneer and is great to work with. He has got a great vision and strategy. The open source technology is fundamentally great for the SMB space. Selling into this space where customers have smaller budgets and the backend (ETL) is more important is fairly easy. The open source community loves Pentaho’s open source beginnings.

ConsCons are regarding the above pioneer Richard Daley. Unfortunately the guy with the great vision and understanding of what is needed to make the technology “Enterprise” ready and overall better is overlooked when making product/release decisions. Therefore, the product has gotten worse. Proven by Gartner- Pentaho has highest number of unhappy customers. From a technology perspective, if you are in sales, and you are going to sell something, and you’re going to a midsize startup, this is not where you want to be or what you want to sell. Largest number of unhappy customers?

Oracle customers are unhappy but still buy out of necessity and name. You come here, without a name like Oracle and already established unhappy customers…….good luck!

Company Culture:

Bad, Bad, Bad.

Reviews here are a bit of smoke and mirrors as well. Obviously marketing added their own reviews to make things look better. In my 20 years of Enterprise sales at startups and large enterprises, I’ve never seen so much dysfunctional behavior from the management. The culture is horrible. For the few folks that have spent significant time there (not many), when asked why they are still there, the answer is always the same. Not that they love their job, it’s a great environment, they are making money, or learning…. It’s because they have a lot of stock. Pretty lame reason to stick with being miserable.

Overall most people ARE miserable. Turnover is very high. In the last 7 months of being there before my departure (I found a much better environment to be in) they’ve lost almost all of their west sales team that I was on. Lost as in people quit! Managers are micro managers. Which isn’t all that bad if they have other good managerial qualities, but unfortunately they don’t. Manager for the west would be much better suited as an individual contributor. He lacks managerial skills, and leadership qualities. Is a “Me” guy. This is coming from someone who made money, and hit his number, yet couldn’t take the BS.

Overall one of the worst organizations overall I’ve ever known or have been a part of. Same goes for every unit within the company aside from the engineers- Who are hard working and dedicated, and go the extra mile. They were a pleasure to work with.
Do yourself a favor, if you need a job, take this one, knowing you will be going through a similar process to that of a farm system in baseball (buying time until you go to a real team/Job). Put up with the BS, say you are committed, then take the better job that comes along.

PS- if you think anything said above isn’t valid- During your interview process, request to know if you are a backfill, and what happened to the person before you. Ask about the amount of turnover. How long the average tenure per rep is. Make sure you get your job role, territory, and accounts in writing before you start. They should be able to provide you this detail level of info to you very easily, I mean, they are an analytics company right?

Advice to Senior ManagementI knew 2 days into the gig I was out. From the other senior reps telling me this place wasnt the place to be, to the way the management interacted with the reps, to the silent sales floor, I decided to keep on interviewing.

Hopefully the executive staff will eventually see that a lot of good/successful reps are leaving frequently. And maybe then, just maybe they will realize the reason. If they don’t, they soon will because soooo much turnover effects sales(which will open their eyes). And the manager that constantly puts the blame on the reps, eventually will be found out as a fraud.

There is only so much finger pointing one can do. This company has a chance if they gut the management team.

“Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result”

Feb 24, 2014

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback. We value all input and appreciate your comments on the company’s strong open source background. It’s unfortunate to hear about some of your ... More

Couldn't be happier working at Pentaho

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pentaho full-time for less than a year

Pros- Surrounded by smart people with hard-working, winning attitudes.
- Exec's care about their employees, from top to bottom.
- Constant recognition for individual and team wins, big or small
- Fun, collaborative and hungry environment
- Great location downtown SF with great views.

Cons- Technology can be hard to capture if you don't have a passion for it

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the recognition!

Weak Product & Weak Product / Marketing Teams

I have been working at Pentaho full-time for more than a year

ProsGood name within the developer community which makes a good story for big data.

ConsPentaho is delivering the future of business analytics but no one has a clue about what that means. The product team has unfortunately not seen any other BI tool for the last 8 years and is driven by the feature functions that the open source contributes. The marketing / prod marketing teams are all fluff. There is no single sole in that team who has a BI background. And we are all trying to sell to a technical BI buyer. Go figure the mess we are in! It is a super competitive market and things don't hold up. Product is weak. Positioning is confusing and is all about feature functions. I have to laugh every time nonsense like "blending at the source" vs. “blending at the glass” comes out of our product marketing. You call this positioning? Pentaho, you can do better than this. Get some people who know BI to run your core teams. So while Pentaho might sounds like a good opportunity at first, sh is going to hit the fan soon. Sales numbers speak for themselves. Think twice before you join.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people with BI knowledge. Invest in the product, not marketing.

They have tons of potential so they are working out their kinks as they are going through some growing pains.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Orlando, FL (US)

I worked at Pentaho full-time for less than a year

ProsTons of perks for the employees and for the most part, great staff. The industry they are in and the position they have placed themselves have a huge potential for growth especially if you are vested in the company.

ConsLike many companies they have internal politics so it causes inefficiencies and a ton of gossip and back talk. Communication is sticky between upper management, often time causing friction between the lower levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to really see good talent and figure out how to keep them. Build team spirit between all departments, so their is positive and congruent efforts in pushing the company as a whole forward.

Worked for Pentaho? Contribute to the Community!

Pentaho – Why Work for Us?

​​​ ​​​​​ Unified Data Integration and Business Analytics To Save Time and Money By tightly coupling data integration with business analytics, Pentaho brings together IT and business users to access, integrate… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pentaho reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Pentaho CEO Quentin Gallivan. All 33 reviews are posted anonymously by Pentaho employees.