PepsiCo

Updated Jul 31, 2014

3.3 1,706 reviews

PepsiCo Chairman and CEO Indra K. Nooyi

Indra K. Nooyi

Pros
  • Work life balance was given to those who handled it responsibly (in 99 reviews)

• great pay and benefits, plenty of opportunities for growth, very stable company (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to be focused on your own work life balance because there's so much to do (in 218 reviews)

• long hours hard physical work, stressful at times to complete all requried (in 153 reviews)

More Highlights
1,706 Employee Reviews

Good Company

Network Engineer (Current Employee) Somers, NY (US)

Prosallow you to learn on the job, allow you to move with in the company, summer hours, in-house gym

Conscommute for some, Company is moving to use contractors more then employees.

Awesome team, but no chance of promotion in level.

Trainee (Former Employee) Bucharest (Romania)

ProsGreat team, good company values, friendly enviroment, supporting with all employees.

ConsNo further promotions of employees even at small levels, very few trainings for all employees, small salaries.

Advice to Senior ManagementRevise salary levels regarding old/new employees.

I had a good experience working at Frito-Lay, even though my project did not pertain to my skill set.

Supply Chain Intern (Current Employee) Bakersfield, CA (US)

ProsFrito-Lay (FL) takes great care of their employees. From what I have observed and in conversations with young managers, FL is a good place for career development in a production management environment. I was able to develop some good relationships with my fellow employees in the office. Management was very helpful in development.

ConsThe project I was given for the summer did not match my skill set in any way. It was a little disappointing to be given a project that did not challange me nor pertain to what I am studying at school.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fast-paced, competitive, and challenging environment. Huge opportunities for career growth, be prepared to work for it.

Future Sales Leader Intern (Current Employee)

ProsMost of the reviews I have seen for the internship have been pretty general, so I hope that this is able to provide a holistic view of what is really is like to work for PepsiCo. I was a future sales leader intern for the Frito Lay division in the summer of 2014, and as such I worked on a market based sales focused project for the months I was with the company. My overall experience was exceptional, and the following are some of the key benefits of interning with PepsiCo:

Real responsibility and autonomy on project based work.

The program is structured to give you hands on experience interacting with both customers in the market as well as our front line employees. Depending on which zone you are assigned to, you might work on anything from reducing waste of our displays, increasing distribution of a certain products, and even market development of an under-represented segment (i.e. independent customers, drug channel, C-Stores, etc.). The work fast-paced, and most of my time was spent in the market visiting customers. If you have an idea or you want to try something out, do it. You can do nearly anything you believe would have a positive impact on the bottom line of the company.

Leadership, co-workers, and other interns are phenomenal.

The HR team at Frito Lay has done an exceptional job hiring individuals that are very similar in terms of personality and work ethic. Everyone on the sales team was outgoing, friendly, extrovert, type-A personality, with a huge competitive drive. If you like being benchmarked against everyone around you, then this is the place for you. Everyone is very willing to sit down and speak with you about anything, you just have to take the initiative to reach out.

Networking+ traveling opportunities and face-time with senior leadership.

Yes, you get to travel as an intern! Your initial onboarding will be in the HR region office, we had a networking event with all the interns in my region, we got to tag along to the RBT (Regional Business Team) meeting, and finally you travel to the North American Headquarters of Frito Lay to present out the results of your project in Planto, Texas. You travel a ton for an intern, which is virtually unheard of for nearly any internship out there (DISCLAIMER this may not be true for all the regions). Plus, they really try to get interns to mingle with those higher up in the food chain (i.e. Director of Sales, Region VP, etc.), as those are the roles that they want us to move into in the long-run.

Pay is great compared to a college budget.

PepsiCo generally pays within in the 75th percentile of all companies; that is they pay better than nearly three-quarters of anyone out there but naturally there are still jobs that pay better. Salary is competitive; you are a salaried employee and paid bi-weekly (Around $1800), plus you receive a hefty signing bonus (Around $2500) which helps cover everything from moving costs to rent. They also reimburse for nearly every business related expense such as mileage, parking, or even meals. Also, you will probably work well over 40 hours each week in this role. The good news is that you get overtime, which is 1.5x your base rate broken down to hourly rate($22 to $33). You can finish the summer with a nice chunk of change, and go back to school living like a king.

Consideration for full-time employment.

When I say consideration, I mean that this internship is your interview. Depending on how you preform throughout the summer, you will be offered a full time position as an SDL designate/Sales Associate. You will spend a lot of time with both of these positions, so you should have a pretty clear understanding of what the job entails by the culmination of your internship. PepsiCo has a very structured training and advancement program; you can expect to spend a few years in each role before moving up. Overall, it’s an excellent place to start your career.

ConsToo much Independence.

Yes, too much of anything is a bad thing. After your initial onboarding orientation and maybe 1-2 weeks of route rides and shadowing SDL’s, you’re on your own. You visit customers by yourself, you go to the office by yourself, and you spend a majority of your time alone. You can leave when you want and get to the office when you want, as long as you get your work done. No one will be telling you what to do. Also, if you finish your work early or quickly, you might have absolutely nothing to do, and there is little accountability regarding the quality or standard of work. (Example, I am writing this lengthy review at the end of my day!) More structure and oversight wouldn’t kill us. Overall, this was pretty cool for me but if you’re the type of person who needs to be pushed to get things done, you will struggle here. Also, not every zone is the same so depending where you are located you may have varying degrees of independence.

Lack of direction, little power to implement changes.

This was true for nearly every intern I spoke with, you WILL NOT have much guidance on how to accomplish the goals of your project. I sat down with my boss a total of six times throughout the entire summer, and most of that was just a recap of what I have done so far. It’s fairly obvious that this is intentional; they want to see how you preform without much managerial oversight. Most of the roles within the company are highly autonomous anyway, so it makes sense from this manner. The most frustrating part however is that it can be challenging to get any of the changes you want made to the business made in a timely manner. Everyone is simply too busy with their own job to pick their head up and take some time out of their day to help the intern. This can prove to be incredibly stressful, particularly when the possibility of an offer hinges on if an SDL can help you finish a sale with a customer!

Work-Life Balance.

This isn’t necessarily a con for some people, but I’ll put it here. The unofficial mantra of this company is “work hard, play hard”. Everyone from the senior leadership team to the front line guys will work anywhere between 10-13 hours every day. 60+ hour weeks are common, and you may start working anywhere between 3am-6am. As an intern the work wasn’t piled on quite as heavily, but if you accept a full time position, be prepared. This job is not for everyone, it will wear some people down.

Long term prospects for the company.

This is one of my biggest hesitations with coming to work here. Overall, consumers have been shifting away from “unhealthy” foods, and that’s essentially the entire core business of PepsiCo. Products such as Doritos, Frito’s, Lays, Cheetos, and everything on the beverage side of the business are filled with fats, sugar, sodium, and they’re terrible for you. While some divisions have been slowly diversifying into “healthier” options, the core of our business is still mostly based on junk food. Consumer reactions to our new healthy innovation products have been mixed, and the food industry as a whole is saturated and competitive making it exceedingly difficult to expand into these other niche markets. This is a long term strategic issue, and I believe the senior leadership will have to make some very tough decisions about the direction and future of the company within the next decade or so.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall, the program is very well structured. It’s very obvious that PepsiCo is making an investment in us as interns, and it truly doesn’t go unnoticed. You do feel important and valued here, and the “I’m just an intern” excuse is non-existent. However, make sure that there is ample support from wherever you place interns. Yes, you hired us with the intention of making an impact on the company, but if we aren’t given the tools or the expertise needed to make that impact, how can we be expected to reach our full potential? Relevant sales training, appropriate overview of the core products, and the equipment to look for in a store are all areas which you should give us more of a background in.

The program is fairly new (I’m in the second year the program has existed), so I fully anticipate that it will adapt and change over time. As a company, I feel the leadership team does an excellent job driving sales and increasing share, but in the long run as I said before the company will need to adapt its core product offerings and market strategy.

Good company no benefits

Sanitation (Current Employee) Perry, GA (US)

ProsGreat place to work. Good coworkers

ConsWeekend shift but no chance of moving up.

Global Procurement MBA Intern

Global Procurement MBA (Current Employee) Somers, NY (US)

ProsThe people are the best part of working at PepsiCo. There is a reason that most of the people I worked with this summer have been with the company for 15+ years. Additionally, the company still has a lot of room to grow and change and you can very easily and quickly make those changes a reality through your work.

ConsThe procurement internship is relatively new so it is not as structured as other internships. The downside of the above-mentioned point about employee satisfaction is that people stay on for longer so promotions might take more time.

Long Hours but stable

RSR Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) Cranberry Twp, PA (US)

ProsStable paycheck- tons of support- established routes and sales oppportunities- great products make comission if cover route for more than two weeks but management tries to avoid this

ConsCover routes in the beginning- constantly changing environment- long hours- constantly waiting for store managers. waking up really early

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employess work\life balance

PepsiCo seems like a great company that clearly values the retention and development of their employees.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Plano, TX (US)

ProsDecent pay, friendly culture, results-driven mentality, work-life balance (employees feel comfortable using the gym and outdoor running trails or basketball courts at lunch), adequate training resources, comfortable travel accommodations, horizontal rotations every 18 months, half-day Fridays all summer, and between Thanksgiving and Christmas

ConsThings seem to move somewhat slow as expected with a company of this size. Many organizational layers, and may be difficult to be noticed in such a large talent pool.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue focus on training and employee development through frequent job rotations. Allow top performing employees to work from home occasionally.

Good Internship Program

BIS Intern (Current Employee) Plano, TX (US)

ProsPepsiCo has a great internship program. They schedule a lot of events for you to really get the feel of the company's culture. Everyone is very welcoming and wants to help the interns get the most of the summer. The feel of the BIS function is very relaxed and supportive, but everyone also works hard to get the job done. A very stress-free internship experience. They really care about the future employees of the company and there is a lot of room to grow here. They also pay very well for an internship. They allow for a good work/life balance. Made many friends within the company.

ConsThey did not give me very much responsibility or work to do, so it was difficult to learn new skills through this internship. Learned a lot about the corporate world and how a large company works, but because of the lack of tasks I was given, I didn't necessarily learn any new technical skills. Sometimes I was bored with nothing to do. They focus a lot on you getting to know the PepsiCo culture, but almost not enough on what a real time job in BIS would be like. However, I understand that giving a lot of responsibility to an intern can be risky, and that most likely internships at other companies would be similar.

District Sales Leader Intern

District Sales Leader (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV (US)

ProsIts definitely one of the best experiences I've had in my life. They give you the responsiblity of making important decisions and trusting yourself. Frito Lay treats you like any other employee, they ask for your feedback on important decisions. They do this to build your confidence and to teach to trust your intuition. Throughout my internship, I had a team that would back my decisions and they even let me execute on the market some of my ideas. Definitely love the experience and the way it build me up professionally.

ConsThe work-life balance can be a struggle sometimes. Frito Lay, as a huge company with many customers, works hard to meet high standards. This sometimes leads to long hours and little free time. Also as an intern, I hoped to hang out and meet some of the other interns on the weekends, but due to far distances, I was not able to see them often.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey were great people with awesome advice on how to grow professionally. I would say they did a great job of showing you the day-to-day work routine without hiding any of the pros and cons. Management keep doing what you are doing!

Worked for PepsiCo? Contribute to the Community!