Perkins Restaurant and Bakery

Joseph Trungale

Server

Server (Current Employee)
Fridley, MN (US)

I have been working at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery part-time for more than 5 years

ProsPerkins is a great place to work for college students. Tips, short hours, and also usually the available times are nights and weekends, as the morning crew are lifers.

ConsIt is basically a fast food joint with servers. You will be expected to take on many tables at a time, and move fast. It can be very stressful, but once you get the hang of it, you can make a lot in tips.

Okay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery

Prosfun environment laid back Training is alright there are not many perks no paid breaks but at least free pankckes

Consschedualing sucks get your schedual one or two days before work managment sits on their but and eats while on the clock, there shouldn't be so many managers different policies with different managers makes it complicated to do your job. For instance I was writain up for something that happened while on the shift before mine. (how was i supposed to know tha that had happened)

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training for managers and oh yeah stop closing stores so not everyone has to share shifts

Promise of advancement, little to no opportunity.

Host, Waiter, Cook (Former Employee)
Memphis, TN (US)

I worked at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery full-time for more than a year

ProsTrained me to be a "jack of all trades" in the restaurant business.

ConsManagement told me they were going to train me in all areas of the restaurant, ending with management about 6 months after I started. I was trained and working as a cook, bus boy, host, and waiter and no longer offered the job. They would just move me around wherever they needed me. I then got a stomach infection and called in to work because I was in the hospital and was fired.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Not a permanent job, but a decent one.

Server (Former Employee)

I worked at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery part-time for more than a year

ProsTips, server culture, fast-paced energetic environment, when you're done you're done - unlike a corporate desk job - you get to go home and be done.

Conslong hours, pissy customers, unstable income, little respect, loud, physical, hot, tiring, and at my location - not very lucrative.

Hourly workers

I have been working at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery

ProsAmazing having a place where employees can come on here and say their stores were dirty...yet the next employee doesnt think they should have scrub or clean anything .....gotta love it.

ConsI have no cons all rest are the same different people . We choose where we are and can create a shift to be whatever we need it to be . I work for another company .

Former Server - Perkin's in NJ

Server (Former Employee)
Forked River, NJ (US)

I worked at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery part-time for less than a year

ProsIt was a new store opening, so the training was very thorough. The training staff was also extremely up-beat and encouraging.

ConsThe specials were so cheap it was nearly impossible to have a worthwhile day in tips. A lot of servers were also fired within the first week or two for silly things such as not wearing black socks, or trying to sign into their shift a minute early.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep an eye on servers not claiming their tips. I watched employees walk out with $50 in tips and still get a full paycheck to meet the minimum wage requirements.

Good and reasonable company

Associate Manager (Former Employee)
Cincinnati, OH (US)

I worked at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood basic company, lacks local ownership. Has downsized in recent years. That type of restraint speaks well of this company.

ConsWas a more formidable company when it had local ownership. They have cleaned out the dead wood in the management department.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep growing carefully and slowly.

prep cook

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery

Prosthere where none at all

Consthe job was crap. I will never work or eat there again.

Advice to Senior Managementget your act together.

Management was not good

Hostess (Former Employee)
Collierville, TN (US)

I worked at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery part-time for less than a year

ProsI like working with people.

ConsThe manager that was there @ that time would change the schedule with out notifying you, she got mad @ someone she would not put them on the schedule, and if she did them on the schedule it was only a day or 2 that week.

Good for a first job, but not something I wanted to stick around for

Server (Current Employee)

I have been working at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery part-time for more than a year

ProsI started out as a hostess at Perkins as my first job. It was rough, as I was not used to the hustle and bustle of busy Sunday mornings, but once I got the hang of it, I learned how to multitask and think on my feet, skills that I first practiced in this job. There is some career advancement depending on your location; I became a server about a year after I first got my hostessing job. I was fortunate that I had some great supervisors who were willing to work around schedules and let me go home if I was waiting on one final table for the night to finally leave.

ConsWorking at Perkins became more frustrating when we changed general managers. Our new GM often did not understand what was going on. And while many servers did have the tendency to call out last-minute, he misdirected his frustration at me one morning when I caught a stomach bug and had to call out of work for the day. Our store was also quite dirty.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to servers and hosts/hostesses who are dissatisfied and give them ways to feel like they're valued.

Worked for Perkins Restaurant and Bakery? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Perkins Restaurant and Bakery reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Perkins Restaurant and Bakery CEO Joseph Trungale. All 49 reviews are posted anonymously by Perkins Restaurant and Bakery employees.