PetSmart

PetSmart Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

PetSmart CEO David K. Lenhardt

David K. Lenhardt

Pros
  • Professional; working with animals is rewarding; decent pay; good team(in 65 reviews)

• Worked as a hotel employee for two years - great hours (usually full time hours), long shifts(in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • There are not always full-time opportunities for interns available upon their graduation(in 44 reviews)

• Think twice before signing up for this, or apply for cashier or pet care department(in 38 reviews)

Quite the learning experience

Support Manager (Current Employee) Baton Rouge, LA (US)

ProsGreat job if you like and/or can tolerate customer service and very hard work

Conswhen promoted, there is no guidance. Pretty much winging it.

Awesome!!!!

Petsmart PetsHotel Associate (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsThis job is the best job I ever had. I work in the pethotel and if you love dogs this is the job to have everyone is very nice I love my co-workers and my managers. There is never any kind of hostility in the work environment.

ConsThe only con is that the pay is not that much starting out, but if your willing to work its not that hard to get promoted.

Great Company

ProsLove all the positions I've held. PetSmart has taken the time to put together some great training models, employee incentives, and employee support programs.

ConsLoooong hours. As Pet Products Mgr, I worked a minimum of 50 hours/week. Not enough payroll to support the staff needed to get everything done. Also, the actual training of new associates is very lax. You are plopped in front of a computer for two shifts then tossed into your department. I was hired into a mgt spot and was trained the same way. It's survival of the fittest if you want to work here

Advice to Senior ManagementHire store managers who are not robots or puppets on a string. Realize that, although your policies are excellent (honestly some of the better ones I've seen) everything cannot always be black and white.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work when you have multiple pets and love animals!

Pet Trainer (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA (US)

ProsWorking for PetSmart was great, given my love for animals and their well-being. The woman who trained me out at another store location was very knowledgable and had been in the industry for many years. Selling classes was definitely tougher in my home store of South Philadelphia (based on the demographics of the area) than it was out in the suburbs where I trained, but the commission on sales was a nice benefit and helped encourage me to sell more classes. My original store manager was very flexible with my schedule in college and allowed me to schedule my own class sessions around it, which was very helpful. Best thing about the job? I got to play with adorable puppies every day.

ConsNew(er) management was NOT flexible with college/school schedules and/or other jobs. This led to my departure (as well as managers hiring family members and playing favorites among employees). I also volunteered with the organization at the time that housed cats in the in-store adoption center - apparently this was an issue with my managers and I often gotten scolded for caring about and being concerned over the well-being of the animals if one of them got sick, etc. Raises were almost non-existent (but maybe that was just at my particular store…I don't know). Other employees were often lazy and the work they did not complete often got pushed off on other employees who already had more than enough work to do. Management also liked to play favorites (especially since family members were often hired by one manager in particular…).

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough many employees at this particular store were not interested in higher education, it would be helpful if management were more flexible with schedules. Discourage favoritism, and do not allow managers to hire family members, often creating conflicts of interest.

Good company

Professional Bather (Current Employee)

ProsGreat company seems to really care about their employees

ConsSometimes management isnt on the same page and it makes doing our job harder.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe on the same page, every manager seems to have their own opinions.

its fine.

Prosthe dogs are definatly a plus

Consthe pay/hours are low there were times when i thought it wasnt worth it.

Advice to Senior Managementorganisation is key.

Good animal care policies until upper management gives you advice

Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee) Arlington, TX (US)

ProsI enjoyed working with the animals. They had a good animal care policy and followed it. A decent veterinarian was accessible for the occasional illness.

ConsMy main complaint is that upper management insisted on giving me bad advice in animal care. For example, they kept insisting that put a solid opaque acrylic lid on cages that had animals with UV requirements (UV does not transmit through acrylic). I tried to explain this but insisted because of humidity requirements (not as important as UV for the animal in question). People who know nothing about the animals in question don't need to be reading a piece of paper and think they can give advice on it. Instead, I just had to change it while they were there and then change it back. Another issue is the high turnover rate and constantly hiring kids fresh out of high school who have no work ethic. If someone gets lazy, an animal could suffer, so this practice is not okay. The pay is very low at minimum wage but this is also just a pet store. Raises are time based so you can get a higher wage later on. There was some extreme retaliation and nepotism problems at my particular store which resulted in other people getting their hours cut so their buddy could have them (even though they worked in another dept). Also, there was too much emphasis on sales and not enough on animal care. No common sense. For example, they saw no problem selling a full grown turtle in a starter kit meant for a juvenile because "it's a starter kit and we sell it". No. Just no. The policy is great while caring for animals in store but it seems as soon as it comes to sales, that kind of thing goes out the window. There is absolutely no training in animal care. All of the new employee training deals with sales, not animal health. We are also typically are there at 6am to do maintenance before opening hours but often there is only one employee scheduled and it is very difficult to clean an entire department, scrub the fish section, feed all the animals, clean dirty dishes, and then take care of receiving and the quiet room in only three hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart training your new employees on animal care as well as how to sell products. Most customers come to us knowing nothing about the animal and it would do everyone a favor if employees could use critical thinking skills instead of regurgitating lists of what products go with what animal. I know you have to balance care with business, but keep in mind that you have a 14 day guarantee. If that animal is not cared for properly, the animal could be returned and you lose money. If that animal survives past the guarantee but tragically dies or gets sick because of employee recommendations, you will lose return business and you will lose money. Your upper management should also be trained in animal care, not just business practices, to prevent incidents such as I described with the acrylic lids.

Awesome

Pet Trainer (Current Employee) Brighton, CO (US)

ProsI love the hours that we are open. It rocks to get off work around 7PM every sunday if not earlier. I love many of my managers and co workers. I get to play with puppies all day and train them. I enjoy watching the dogs and humans grow and create that bond they did not have before. I also like playing with the adoption animals. Helping pet parents get educated about products is awesome

ConsMany of my co workers should have been fired to due how they treat customers other co workers and animals. In my store we also do not say no to returns no matter if we know the stuff was stolen or the training classes were past they return date.

Advice to Senior ManagementSay no to customers trying to return stole goods, and training classes past the return date. That would make many things far less stressful!

Best place ever!

Bather (Current Employee) Lawrenceville, GA (US)

ProsGreat team, attitude, and ect. all bad is out weighed by the face that you can move up soooo quickly.

Conssmall space, some young kids who dont care.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe kids at the register dont need to be on there phones....come on guys!

petshotel associate

Pet Care Specialist-Petshotel (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsThe discount on pet supplies and food is great. The job was really fun and pretty laid back as long as everything was taken care of. It was great to interact with all the dogs and cats that stayed in the hotel. Performance review was taken care of without asking and feedback on performance was given.

ConsWorking holidays was hard, and it would have been great if the position paid more than minimum wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be flexible with schedule, and reward hard working employees.

Worked for PetSmart? Contribute to the Community!