PetSmart

3.2
1,130 Reviews

PetSmart CEO David K. Lenhardt
David K. Lenhardt

Pros
  • Professional; working with animals is rewarding; decent pay; good team (in 97 reviews)

• I started out as a part-time dog trainer, but went to full time in a few months (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • I was in the salon And asked to move to full time groomer for 6 months (in 58 reviews)

• Think twice before signing up for this, or apply for cashier or pet care department (in 50 reviews)

More Highlights

I miss it!

Former Employee - Dog Bather in Wheaton, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Dog Bather in Wheaton, IL (US)

I worked at PetSmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very fun place to work, employers and customers are always happy to be there! Most dog people are the good ones to be around!

Cons

Very corporate in the way of hours. I was in the salon And asked to move to full time groomer for 6 months. When they didn't offer it after that, I had to leave. I needed the benefits that weren't available for part timers.

Maybe more benefits for part timers? Don't be afraid to hire full time. Stop blowing smoke at your employees about "maybe" going full time!!!

I love working for this company

I have been working at PetSmart

Pros

The company truly cares about the customers, products and employees.

Cons

Only bad thing is you don't make a lot of money unless you're in management.

Overall I really enjoy my job, but corporate issues are having a significant impact in our stores.

Current Employee - Pet Care Associate
    Current Employee - Pet Care Associate

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoy my everyday job as a Pet Care Associate. I take care of all of the animals in our care and have learned a great deal in the year I've been employed with this company. It is great for a company to spend a lot of time on training employees to not only properly care for the animals in our care, but to educate customers as we send them home with their new pets.

Cons

You may work very hard for the company, but pay rates and raises don't match your efforts. Specific to the Pet Care department, I've unfortunately observed a lack of interest in health issues of some of the animals we are responsible for in higher level management.

Great Company

Former Employee - Bath Associate in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Bath Associate in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at PetSmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Interacting with animals and having nice co-workers.

Cons

Pay is somewhat low and hard to get full time hours

PetHotel

Former Employee - PetSmart Overnight Hotel Associate in Mansfield, TX (US)
    Former Employee - PetSmart Overnight Hotel Associate in Mansfield, TX (US)

I worked at PetSmart full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working with the dogs and cats was amazing. They always made me happy to be there. Management is good. All in all their hearts are always in the right place, and take special care worth the guests.

Cons

Not getting reviews and raises on time was irritating. I asked to be transferred because I was driving an hour back and forth everyday and they wanted me to train 3 new overnight pet care specialist before they would let me switch stores. There are a few flaws in communication between hotel managers and store managers.

One of my favorite jobs

Former Employee - Pet Care Associate in Leesburg, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Pet Care Associate in Leesburg, FL (US)

I worked at PetSmart part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you love working with or around animals this job is great! :) People bring their pets into the store and if your lucky you could work in the PetCare department with the animals which was what my job was. You learn so much here about animals, their care, and how to educate others about their pets which is super inspiring! The dress code is always changing haha but hopefully they'll get it figured out soon. Upper management is involved and visits every now and again, and they have a good connection with their store managers which is great and helps keep everything running smoothly. Makes you feel like they care, which they really do. They'll help you transfer if you need to relocate, and they offer yearly raises based on your performance, which unless you're really awful your ahead get.

Cons

Your employee discount is crap haha 15%
    They love to keep awful employees that genuinely don't care about their job, or the customers, or the animals for that matter. It's really hard to move into management which stinks because some individuals in management are the ones that don't care about their job.

You're doing good on everything BUT employee selection. There's so many employees that you hire that aren't there for the right reasons, don't care about their jobs, and don't care about the customers. Which in this company is detrimental because you're ultimately impacting not only human lives but animal lives. As a company you need a visit from Undercover Boss to weed out these employees that really don't deserve to work for your awesome company.

Great culture

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at PetSmart

Pros

Good work life balance; family friendly

Cons

Lack of consistency in each role

Wonderful place to work!

Current Employee - Cashier in Murfreesboro, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Murfreesboro, TN (US)

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for PetSmart for about three years and really enjoy working there! They were absolutely wonderful about working around my school schedule while I was in college and my schedule was crazy! I've worked at two different stores in the three years I've been with the company, and have found that both stores are different, mainly because of the different managers and their management styles. I have really enjoyed working with the pets as well as the pet parents! PetSmart does give a 15% discount to employees, which I have found extremely helpful since I have a dog and now a fish. Everyone is willing to pitch in and help out, especially when the registers get backed up!

Cons

The biggest challenge I have found working there is the speed which you have to be able to work. It is a bit faster than I am comfortable working, but I have managed to do well there. I wish I had regular hours, but since it is a retail job, I understand that's not possible.

Easy easy easy

I worked at PetSmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

PetSmart is just like any other corporate company. I worked in the pet hotel. Their training is simple enough and the employees there seem to enjoy their job.

Cons

Getting full time is next to impossible. I literally had to bug my manager to tears to even consider full time. Benefits are only for full timers, and I needed them. They would rather hire two part timers rather than a full timer. Typical corporate policies. They act like they care about the employees, but when it comes down to it, your just as replaceable as a cracked fish tank.

Fine For A Time

Former Employee - PetsHotel Overnight Associate
    Former Employee - PetsHotel Overnight Associate

I worked at PetSmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

1. Pretty no-nonsense staff and reliable co-worker
    2. Set schedule was a perk for me, having steady hours and no surprise calls
    3. If you like the late hours, it's a pretty non-demanding job so long as you finish everything competently and when you're meant to

Cons

1. Sometimes the manager showed up late to let me in on Sundays, which meant a lot of waiting around in the cold in the winter
    2. You're there by yourself and if something happens after 2 a.m. don't expect to reach a manager
    3. Some dogs are just jerks. Most are fine, but there will always be one hardcore biter or one that just plain hates you.
    4. They don't so much train you as briefly explain the position and throw you to the hounds

Maybe train the overnighters before locking them in by themselves?