PetSmart

PetSmart Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

PetSmart CEO David K. Lenhardt

David K. Lenhardt

Pros
  • Professional; working with animals is rewarding; decent pay; good team(in 67 reviews)

• Worked as a hotel employee for two years - great hours (usually full time hours), long shifts(in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • There are not always full-time opportunities for interns available upon their graduation(in 44 reviews)

• There are not enough employees there during the day at anytime, especially in the Pet Care department(in 38 reviews)

Great Company

ProsLove all the positions I've held. PetSmart has taken the time to put together some great training models, employee incentives, and employee support programs.

ConsLoooong hours. As Pet Products Mgr, I worked a minimum of 50 hours/week. Not enough payroll to support the staff needed to get everything done. Also, the actual training of new associates is very lax. You are plopped in front of a computer for two shifts then tossed into your department. I was hired into a mgt spot and was trained the same way. It's survival of the fittest if you want to work here

Advice to Senior ManagementHire store managers who are not robots or puppets on a string. Realize that, although your policies are excellent (honestly some of the better ones I've seen) everything cannot always be black and white.

Quite the learning experience

Support Manager (Current Employee) Baton Rouge, LA (US)

ProsGreat job if you like and/or can tolerate customer service and very hard work

Conswhen promoted, there is no guidance. Pretty much winging it.

Retail store review - PetCare

Petcare Associate (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

ProsVery easy entry level jobs in retail. They give you a lot of training (paid) and most managers are pretty cool. Great PTO and health benefits.

ConsThe pay for beginning management in retail is somewhere between $10 and $12 an hour. Really? That's pretty low.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Enjoyable for the most part, but it definitely gets old after a while.

Support Manager (Former Employee) Bradenton, FL (US)

ProsThere is definitely a lot of possibility for upward mobility if you demonstrate a genuine desire to work hard and provide great customer service. For the most part, everyone tried to help each other out and there wasn't too much competition. They provide a lot of training and make sure that you really know what you're doing. You won't be left hanging. I enjoyed the Pet Care department the most, because there was always something productive to do and you were constantly moving. Time went by very quickly. It was also great to work with the animals and meet people who loved pets as much as I do.

ConsThere was a lot of pressure to sell training classes and puppy kits; if you didn't sell enough of each every week, there was a subtle threat that you would be written up if you didn't improve your sales. Unfortunately, there was quite a bit of drama and negative talk behind people's backs, especially in the grooming salon. At one store, management was awful and I didn't receive any support from my store manager. When I transferred, however, I found the management staff to be much more helpful. Although I was one of the few who was shown favoritism, there were several associates who felt they were always being punished for their mistakes, without receiving any positive recognition for the good things they did. I found that most people working there were very apathetic about their job - not a lot of passion in the store.

Advice to Senior ManagementI didn't think it was fair that my associates would get written up for missing too many days due to an emergency. Of course, there were a few that needed to be coached and written up, but you can't penalize those who missed work due to family emergencies. There is a supposed "open-door policy," yet most of my managers didn't want to hear any of my opinions on improving certain situations, and there was definitely a lot of back-stabbing. One thing I felt very strongly about was the unfairness of the CEO position. It was awful to have to walk the store for 9 hours every day and just talk to people. Yeah, it sounds easy, but it was so painfully boring. One thing other stores did was divide the CEO shifts between several managers in a day, but my store, unfortunately, did not, and I was forced to walk for hours.

Category Analyst

Category Analyst (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

ProsGreat pay and benefits, and an awesome team to work with. Continuous innovation and the leadership team invest in the development of associates.

ConsThe constant pursue of innovation can be stressful, especially when introducing new items. This is a position that requires prior experience with SAP and DPR systems as training is minimum. You will be expected to make decisions early into the position that impact over 1,300 stores across the country and Canada. If you take this job, expect to have a lot of accountability, deal with vendors and the merchants. Also, analytical skills are not a must, but a requirement for this position as you decide how much inventory to buy.

Friendly Environment

EARLY MORNING STOCKER (Former Employee)

ProsWorking at petsmart is awesome, good company if you looking for a part-time job. You can actually move up with hard work and dedication.

ConsMore hours for their new employees and their old fashion way of thinking as far as you tattoo's and how they can't be visible are just ridiculous.

Advice to Senior ManagementFull-time employment for all.

Good people, low pay

ProsGood people, easy to deal with

ConsLow Pay, long hours, cramped working area

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider raising the pay, huge turn over of good people

Awesome!!!!

Petsmart PetsHotel Associate (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsThis job is the best job I ever had. I work in the pethotel and if you love dogs this is the job to have everyone is very nice I love my co-workers and my managers. There is never any kind of hostility in the work environment.

ConsThe only con is that the pay is not that much starting out, but if your willing to work its not that hard to get promoted.

Good animal care policies until upper management gives you advice

Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee) Arlington, TX (US)

ProsI enjoyed working with the animals. They had a good animal care policy and followed it. A decent veterinarian was accessible for the occasional illness.

ConsMy main complaint is that upper management insisted on giving me bad advice in animal care. For example, they kept insisting that put a solid opaque acrylic lid on cages that had animals with UV requirements (UV does not transmit through acrylic). I tried to explain this but insisted because of humidity requirements (not as important as UV for the animal in question). People who know nothing about the animals in question don't need to be reading a piece of paper and think they can give advice on it. Instead, I just had to change it while they were there and then change it back. Another issue is the high turnover rate and constantly hiring kids fresh out of high school who have no work ethic. If someone gets lazy, an animal could suffer, so this practice is not okay. The pay is very low at minimum wage but this is also just a pet store. Raises are time based so you can get a higher wage later on. There was some extreme retaliation and nepotism problems at my particular store which resulted in other people getting their hours cut so their buddy could have them (even though they worked in another dept). Also, there was too much emphasis on sales and not enough on animal care. No common sense. For example, they saw no problem selling a full grown turtle in a starter kit meant for a juvenile because "it's a starter kit and we sell it". No. Just no. The policy is great while caring for animals in store but it seems as soon as it comes to sales, that kind of thing goes out the window. There is absolutely no training in animal care. All of the new employee training deals with sales, not animal health. We are also typically are there at 6am to do maintenance before opening hours but often there is only one employee scheduled and it is very difficult to clean an entire department, scrub the fish section, feed all the animals, clean dirty dishes, and then take care of receiving and the quiet room in only three hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart training your new employees on animal care as well as how to sell products. Most customers come to us knowing nothing about the animal and it would do everyone a favor if employees could use critical thinking skills instead of regurgitating lists of what products go with what animal. I know you have to balance care with business, but keep in mind that you have a 14 day guarantee. If that animal is not cared for properly, the animal could be returned and you lose money. If that animal survives past the guarantee but tragically dies or gets sick because of employee recommendations, you will lose return business and you will lose money. Your upper management should also be trained in animal care, not just business practices, to prevent incidents such as I described with the acrylic lids.

Great place to work when you have multiple pets and love animals!

Pet Trainer (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA (US)

ProsWorking for PetSmart was great, given my love for animals and their well-being. The woman who trained me out at another store location was very knowledgable and had been in the industry for many years. Selling classes was definitely tougher in my home store of South Philadelphia (based on the demographics of the area) than it was out in the suburbs where I trained, but the commission on sales was a nice benefit and helped encourage me to sell more classes. My original store manager was very flexible with my schedule in college and allowed me to schedule my own class sessions around it, which was very helpful. Best thing about the job? I got to play with adorable puppies every day.

ConsNew(er) management was NOT flexible with college/school schedules and/or other jobs. This led to my departure (as well as managers hiring family members and playing favorites among employees). I also volunteered with the organization at the time that housed cats in the in-store adoption center - apparently this was an issue with my managers and I often gotten scolded for caring about and being concerned over the well-being of the animals if one of them got sick, etc. Raises were almost non-existent (but maybe that was just at my particular store…I don't know). Other employees were often lazy and the work they did not complete often got pushed off on other employees who already had more than enough work to do. Management also liked to play favorites (especially since family members were often hired by one manager in particular…).

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough many employees at this particular store were not interested in higher education, it would be helpful if management were more flexible with schedules. Discourage favoritism, and do not allow managers to hire family members, often creating conflicts of interest.

Worked for PetSmart? Contribute to the Community!