Pier 1 Imports

Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith

Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job(in 59 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Pushing the Pier 1 credit card so hard can really drive you and the customers crazy(in 88 reviews)

• Management gives part-time employees 4 hour shifts( anything over 4 hour shifts requires a break)(in 31 reviews)

Wonderful experience.

ProsThe pay as a sales associate is reasonable, the product is interesting and the corporate does its best to keep store operations as organized as possible.

ConsLarger store means more recovery and cleaning to do. They also make you clean the bathrooms.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe organized.

A great environment!

Store Manager (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD (US)

ProsHaving fun with the customers! There is such an assortment of merchandise that the possibilities are endless!

ConsThere never seems to be enough time....

Fast paced and fun work environment

Store Manager (Current Employee) Virginia Beach, VA (US)

ProsGreat customers, great coworkers, creative work environment

ConsBad customers, unrealistic expectations, not enough payroll to get the job done in an effective way

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in payroll to better support your staff.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I have only been working here a couple weeks but so far it has been a lot of fun and very professional.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Oklahoma City, OK (US)

ProsI love that the manger is willing to work with my schedule. Also I love that there is potential for advancement in the company.

ConsIt gets a little hard if you have to work a late shift of tagging items or mark downs and then have to be there several hours later to do an opening shift of unloading the delivery truck the next day.

Overall pretty nice place to work, depending on your management staff.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA (US)

ProsDecent place to work as a secondary part-time job. They work well around my full-time work schedule and sometimes crazy life.

ConsPier 1 as a corporation is extreme with placement of signs etc. I understand being organized and presentable but they are way too intense. Also, they push their associates too hard to sell their stupid credit card.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe cool with your associates, treat them well and they will want to stay

Pier 1 Imports was a very fun company to work for that makes customer service their number one priority.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Stockton, CA (US)

ProsPier 1 Imports is a great place to gain experience on how to strive for customer service excellence. Pier 1 takes pride in the products they offer and makes sure their employees carry extensive knowledge to give the best customer experience.

ConsPromotions were a little hard to come by as inner-politics sometimes got in the way. There are high pressures on the associates to meet their goals. They did offer annual raises and do pay a little above minimum wage for starting associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to think of ways to motivate the associates at the store level. Management at the store level is also very important for the morale of the overall store. I think it's important for regional managers to pay attention to the way the store is performing and possibly conduct a review/ survey process to determine if there are steps that can be taken within the store.

Very employee oriented. I've had nothing but positive experiences working with them.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Omaha, NE (US)

ProsThe professional atmosphere is like a home away from home. Everyone is working together towards similar goals. I think the non-commission aspect of the job allows for more of a team effort in making sales.

ConsThe pay isn't terrifically fantastic for the amount of work you put in during a shift, however, depending on how your store manager run things, they're usually pretty good about giving compliments and raises where they are due.

Advice to Senior ManagementI used to work on the management team and stepped down to return to school, and the team, at least at the store I'm a part of, has been nothing but supportive. I have no advice to give them, they're fantastic.

Fun place to work if you like decorating!

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsFun company to work for, time off and flexibility are really good. Store dynamic makes the job even better.

ConsHard to move up into management if you're not willing to moved to different stores frequently.

Nice place to work

Sales Leader (Current Employee)

ProsFun, upbeat place to work

Constagging and detagging sales every month is a huge waste of time. Need to come up with a better way to promote sales.

Great experience, would definitely work again

Sales Leader (Former Employee) Anaheim, CA (US)

ProsGreat coaching opportunities and opportunity for bonuses upon sales goals being met as team. I would work there again!
    Getting to know the regular customers who come in and allow you to help them design is extremely fun!

ConsAt the time, they were willing to only hire from the outside, as an interim Assistant Store Manager, trying to become a regular Assistant Store Manager; this was upsetting to hear.

Worked for Pier 1 Imports? Contribute to the Community!