Pier 1 Imports

Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith

Alex Smith

Pros:
  • "Employee discount, mostly friendly customers, fun products, Reasonable hours"
    in 52 reviews
  • "Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "They push you to get customers to sign up for the company credit card like your job depends on it"
    in 71 reviews
  • "It's only part-time, unless you're the assistant manager or store manager"
    in 29 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

very positive, loved all the associates and great working environment. I loved going to work everyday!

Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than 3 years

Prosgreat working environment, great merchandise, positive people

Consmoving the furniture was not fun

Pier 1 Imports is a fun place to work!

Fairfax, VA (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

ProsThe atmosphere at Pier 1 is inviting, the merchandise whimsical, co-workers friendly, and store managers are motivative in a positive way. They always make a point to say "Thank You" and are never pushy or degrading.

ConsThe pay isn't that great.

Wonderful Experience

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

ProsThe staff is extremely friendly and willing to help. The merchandise is constantly changing so there is always something new and exciting to play with.

ConsIt's only part-time, unless you're the assistant manager or store manager. The pay is somewhat low for the workload expected of you.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider promoting from within the store more than bringing from outside.

Lovely team & Great customer servicw

Corpus Christi, TX (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Proswonderful management team, very understanding, organized and flexible with employee schedules

Consbusy work required even when nothing is left to do in your zone
sometimes required to hound customers obviously not wanting assistance

worst company I ever worked for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Prosit was closer to home

Consbad salary awful treatment to the employee no incentives at all

Advice to Senior Managementtake care more of the people at your stores they are the one making you money

Don't do it!!!

Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than 5 years

Prosthe discount is the ONLY reason to work here

ConsExtremely stressful, very low pay, high turnover, no advancement opportunities.

Advice to Senior Managementcompany loyalty should be rewarded

Part time only for sales asscoiates

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Reno, NV (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

ProsI acutally enjoyed my time with Pier1, the discount is good, and one of the two stores I worked at was a good experience. You get $50 to spend in the store around xmas if you've been there for 6 mos, and the uniform is pretty laid back (unless you complain about it)

ConsPier 1 stalks their employees facebooks...when Pier1 changed their dress code about 3-4 years ago I posted something like this on my facebook, "Sad that my work is switching the dress code, oh well" and maybe something about not wearing jeans was in the mix....well about 5 days later, I get pulled into the office, and my manager hands me a copy, that was faxed from the corp. regarding my post via facebook and pretty much warned me about saying stuff about the company on newtworking sites...It wasn't even serious! lol...should I have said "My manager discriminates between young and old and makes her older associates sell on the floor and gives them more hours while us younger people slave away over the freight truck and are assigned 8 hours a week?" I worked at Reno/Tahoe and I loved the Tahoe store but the Reno store was a horrible experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the district manager: Be more interactive with your sales associates while you visit, maybe set up a list of questions to ensure satisfactory while employed..do role play with your associates
To the manager: If you hire older people, don't hand them the golden ticket out of doing freight, while I was there I slaved over the frieght truck each shift. And I really felt that because I was younger, more flixible, and quick; this was used against me.

Horrible Job

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
La Jolla, CA (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

ProsEasy to get a job there, especially during the holidays. And the job is really easy. They start you in the warehouse just opening and unwrapping merchandise and then they put you on the floor.

ConsBad pay. And worse hours. They are never consistent about giving them to you, will not hire you for more then 15 hours a week unless you are management. They hire too many people then have them work the smallest shifts. They have you go home early if the store is empty with no pay. They put you on call, and you only get pay when you get called in, if you aren't available you are in trouble.

Have to choose between working on the floor with horrible customers or working in the warehouse. The warehouse is nice, but management loves to punish you for skipping out on the bad customers, by coming in every hour or so and screaming at you. Plus the merchandise is just s@#t. I don't know why people shop here. I have been in the back room, it is totally s@#t plastic made from slave labor and priced up at least 20% above their profit margin. How do I know this? First cause the same s@#t is sold at Target less 20% and because that is the discount we get for working there. I'm pretty sure that's how my store stayed in business, by encouraging its employees to buy their s@#t at discount.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are working for money, try to just yell less at those working for you. If this is a career, rethink you life work.

My experience with Pier 1 was majorly positive. I enjoyed my time there.

Sales Leader (Former Employee)
Pasadena, MD (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

ProsThe variety of awesome products and my coworkers.

ConsOur store manager was not trustworthy, she micromanaged and sometimes not fair to some associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain employees to help customers not harass them.

It was Okay

Cashier (Former Employee)
Waco, TX (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

ProsSmells good, nice people, easy work, good morning hours. It was an excellent opportunity to grow my customer service and communication skills. I was hired quickly.

ConsEVERYTHING breaks, hard to sell stuff that is crap, couldn't believe in product, late nights, have to re-do the store every month, nothing to do when it's slow. Hired me, but didn't put me on the floor till a month in. No training.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy bosses kept getting fired!

Worked for Pier 1 Imports? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pier 1 Imports reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Pier 1 Imports CEO Alex Smith. All 429 reviews are posted anonymously by Pier 1 Imports employees.