Pier 1 Imports

Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith

Alex Smith

Pros:
  • "Employee discount, mostly friendly customers, fun products, Reasonable hours"
    in 47 reviews
  • "The associates at my store were great people, and fun to work with"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "They push you to get customers to sign up for the company credit card like your job depends on it"
    in 66 reviews
  • "The pay for part-time workers is about what you would get working for just about any other minimum wage job"
    in 25 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Lovely team & Great customer servicw

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Corpus Christi, TX (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Proswonderful management team, very understanding, organized and flexible with employee schedules

Consbusy work required even when nothing is left to do in your zone
sometimes required to hound customers obviously not wanting assistance

Wonderful Experience

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

ProsThe staff is extremely friendly and willing to help. The merchandise is constantly changing so there is always something new and exciting to play with.

ConsIt's only part-time, unless you're the assistant manager or store manager. The pay is somewhat low for the workload expected of you.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider promoting from within the store more than bringing from outside.

Part Time Sales Clerk Employee at Store

Store Clerk (Former Employee)
Baltimore, MD (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

ProsDiscount available for employees, about 15-20%. Nice management, looked for high potential. Lots of neat items plus coupons. Very friendly staff members.

ConsLots of breakables- customers break things accidentally, especially the glass oil diffusers. Better packaging and shelf design would be good.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood store leadership

You have to love what you do...and i do.

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)
Clifton, NJ (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI have gained so much experience in decorating by working at Pier 1 that I have received numerous offers to decorate homes, offices, etc. I intend to look into advancing my education to include a degree in interior design, because of Pier 1.

ConsIn an environment where a position may need to be filled ASAP, there's not much in the way of preparing someone for advancement should the occasion arise. It seems to be more outside hiring, rather than promoting from within, again, simply because there's not much preparation or a "learning to advance" environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare your knowledge with your staff. Prepare them for advancement, instead of telling them why they couldn't be promoted (they weren't "ready" or "experienced enough". It's a reflection on you if you don't have any staff ready to advance when an opportunity arises.

Great people! Great pair of managers in the store!

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Costa Mesa, CA (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

ProsNice managers that allow you to have fun as long as you get everything done on the sales floor and backroom.

ConsSometimes you may work late when decor needs to be changed, but that seems normal to retail industry in general.

worst company I ever worked for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Prosit was closer to home

Consbad salary awful treatment to the employee no incentives at all

Advice to Senior Managementtake care more of the people at your stores they are the one making you money

Don't do it!!!

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than 5 years

Prosthe discount is the ONLY reason to work here

ConsExtremely stressful, very low pay, high turnover, no advancement opportunities.

Advice to Senior Managementcompany loyalty should be rewarded

Horrible Job

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
La Jolla, CA (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

ProsEasy to get a job there, especially during the holidays. And the job is really easy. They start you in the warehouse just opening and unwrapping merchandise and then they put you on the floor.

ConsBad pay. And worse hours. They are never consistent about giving them to you, will not hire you for more then 15 hours a week unless you are management. They hire too many people then have them work the smallest shifts. They have you go home early if the store is empty with no pay. They put you on call, and you only get pay when you get called in, if you aren't available you are in trouble.

Have to choose between working on the floor with horrible customers or working in the warehouse. The warehouse is nice, but management loves to punish you for skipping out on the bad customers, by coming in every hour or so and screaming at you. Plus the merchandise is just s@#t. I don't know why people shop here. I have been in the back room, it is totally s@#t plastic made from slave labor and priced up at least 20% above their profit margin. How do I know this? First cause the same s@#t is sold at Target less 20% and because that is the discount we get for working there. I'm pretty sure that's how my store stayed in business, by encouraging its employees to buy their s@#t at discount.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are working for money, try to just yell less at those working for you. If this is a career, rethink you life work.

My experience with Pier 1 was majorly positive. I enjoyed my time there.

Sales Leader (Former Employee)
Pasadena, MD (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

ProsThe variety of awesome products and my coworkers.

ConsOur store manager was not trustworthy, she micromanaged and sometimes not fair to some associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain employees to help customers not harass them.

It was Okay

Cashier (Former Employee)
Waco, TX (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

ProsSmells good, nice people, easy work, good morning hours. It was an excellent opportunity to grow my customer service and communication skills. I was hired quickly.

ConsEVERYTHING breaks, hard to sell stuff that is crap, couldn't believe in product, late nights, have to re-do the store every month, nothing to do when it's slow. Hired me, but didn't put me on the floor till a month in. No training.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy bosses kept getting fired!

Worked for Pier 1 Imports? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pier 1 Imports reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Pier 1 Imports CEO Alex Smith. All 426 reviews are posted anonymously by Pier 1 Imports employees.