Pier 1 Imports

Updated 15 November 2014
3.1

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 61 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to push the Pier 1 credit card on everyone that walks in the door (in 111 reviews)

• This job is only good if you're looking to work part time, a couple of days per week (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun place to work for seasonal

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Concord, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Concord, NC (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great discount, worked well with my schedule for my other job, good hours to work, dont force you to harass customers, educates associates on a monthly basis and try to help you improve your knowledge.

Cons

Not easy to get permanent position, lifting furniture pieces while standing on tall ladders, unpacking pieces from shipment was sometimes difficult.

The management team was great except the store manager tended to be inconsiderate sometimes. The rest of the managers were great!

sales associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Larchmont, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Larchmont, NY (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It was a relatively easy job that always gave me work when I needed it. Love the store, great company. I could request off whenever I wanted or needed ant they were easy going about it.

Cons

Some of the rules were not the same when working in different stores, and they put too much emphasis on the credit cards.

Lots of selling behaviors.

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

25% discount, learn visual merchandising skills, be surrounded by beautiful products.

Cons

Suppression of costs translates to poor employee compensation, including subpar insurance, minimal raises, short work shifts, etc.

Invest in your associates a little more. A lot of talent slips through the cracks when you treat lower level employees like they're disposable.

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Nice environment (smells nice, relatively clean, fun products)
    -Flexible schedule (you put it your own availability online and manager never had an issue with me when I asked for days off)
    -Friendly customers
    -Mostly friendly coworkers, great general manager
    -Employee appreciation week

Cons

-One assistant manager who wanted to make my life miserable (I got along with all other assistant managers, so it must have been a personality clash with this particular one)
    -Shifts go way beyond when the store is actually open (lots of shifts late into the night or very early in the morning to rearrange merchandise in the store for what seemed like no reason at all)
    -Pushing for the Pier 1 Rewards Credit Card can get old after a while

Decent job if you don't need the money

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Holly Springs, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Holly Springs, NC (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working at Pier 1 allows you to be creative and become inspired for your own home decorating. And with a 25% discount on all items it is very easy to do! The hours are very flexible - you can leave for months at a time and still have a job when you get back. I've heard other stores have catty and mean customers and workers, but at least at the one I worked at everyone was nice and we were like a family! Many of our customers were regulars and so sweet!

Cons

The pay is absolute crap for the amount of work you are asked to do and the pressure you are put under to sell their stupid in-store credit cards. Also don't ever expect to be scheduled more than 20 hours (during the busiest season) and 16 during the rest of the year. And expect to have to be there very, very early or stay very, very late to do transitions. The higher ups have ridiculous expectations for how long it should take us to transition the entire store.

If you want to keep your good employees, pay them a lot more. I'm a very motivated individual who loves to be constantly busy and even I find it difficult to motivate myself to sell the credit cards when I know I'm only making about $100 a week. Also give us more time to transition.

Nice people to work with but company is cheap.

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Flemington, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Flemington, NJ (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Store discount, good co-workers, beautiful products

Cons

Little to no pay raises, not valued or rewarded by district managers, late nights, too many major store moves

It would be great if you recognized a dedicated, effective associate and then recommended them for a promotion somewhere within the company. Also, an assitant manager and sales lead there should be able to get enough hours and a high enough pay to make a living.

Could be so much better.

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co-workers are very nice, products are fantastic. 25% employee discount, and great customers.

Cons

Way too stressful. I don't know what has happened to retail to turn it into such a stressful job. The constant coaching and stress of opening instant credits was overwhelming. You really couldn't give the best customer service because you'd be so stressed about pitching the credit card, even when the customer would decline, you still had to mention more benefits, and a lot of customers were put-off by the constant harassment. Then there is "conversion". You get in trouble for not converting at least 35% of the people who walk into the store into sales. Never mind that people walk in and out to use the restroom, ask for directions, or let their kids run in and out of the store making it impossible to accomplish a 35% conversion on a regular basis. You could have a $1,000 furniture sale, but not want to help the customer out the door with their purchase because it would wreck your conversion. It truly is insane. Also, the weekly shipments that they expect you to unload, build furniture, and display it super quickly all while not "tasking" when customers are in the store. And lastly, the surveys. You can't be a genuine sales person when you have a list of statements you have to make to customers to ensure you don't get marked down for not saying...and it's a long one. So everyone sounds robotic saying the same things over and over. It's a shame, because Pier1 could be a fabulous place to work if they threw out all of the constant stressful tracking, and just let their employees shine and make real connections with their customers simply by being real themselves.

Throw out the constant tracking, time-wasting conference calls and focus more on product knowledge.

Fun a little frustrating

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in West Hartford, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in West Hartford, CT (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, ok discount, nice customers, little commitment.

Cons

Flex shifts ( on call) are frustrating

I thought it would be a fun place to work as I had a lot of Pier One accessories in my home.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good discount, 25% off starting on your first day of work. Interesting and fun items to sell. Customers like coming in to the stores as you never know what you will find.

Cons

Very high turnover of employees, at least at the store I work at. Lots that you have to learn on the pos system. POS uses a touch screen which is slow and unresponsive some times. A keyboard would be much faster. They don't explain the hours you will be asked to work, some mornings starting a 5AM, nights that go past midnight. VERY physical work,
    lifting heavy items, going up and down on tall ladders, cleaning of store, stock and freight work, you do it all. Lots of glassware everywhere on very old fixtures, and stacked on high shelves. I find this kind of dangerous and always worry about bumping into certain units as some are not level. Schedules are done at the last minute with some days being a ? or what P1 calls a flex day. Too much customer info wanted at POS which slows down the process and some customers are very annoyed by it. They harp on you about getting P1 credit cards all day long.

Managements idea of incentive for employees is sending cookies or candy. or giving us a little kids sticker on a bulletin board with our name on it. It's as if they think we are five year olds. I would clean up the odd mix of merchandise that is still in the P1 inventory, finger puppets and yo yos, junk like that really looks tacky in a store that is wanting to sell sofas that are in the $800.00 range. I am glad to see that P1 is starting to offer a more contemporary look in the furniture styles and less of the fancy old parlor look. I think pricing of a lot of our items is high compared to our competition ( Ikea, Wayfair). Even with my discount I can ususally find a similar item at a lower cost.

Great for par-time / re-entry into workforce

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lake Forest, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Lake Forest, CA (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great for part time work, students, or re-entry after stay at home parenting. Friendly co-workers and customers. Excellent employee discount (25% off even on sales and clearance), flexible scheduling. Products that people love to buy. Sometimes they sell themselves.

Cons

Very few full time, benefitted positions and even the ones they have are lower paying. Most Sales Associates have other jobs that provide benefits, and use the Pier 1 job as "extra" income or work simply for the generous employee discount. They set A LOT of sales goals in different areas (pushing their Rewards card, sales numbers vs. people entering store, signing customers up on e-mail lists, etc. All of these goals are pushed constantly but there is very little return on these aggressive sales tactics to the employee. After a while you start asking yourself is it worth it?

Better wages would help retain the best employees. If management is going to require employees to use such aggressive and detailed sales techniques and high sales goals, then there should be some sort of compensation that goes BACK to the store team that is meaningful (i.e. bonuses).