Pier 1 Imports

Updated 17 December 2014
3.1

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 65 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to push the Pier 1 credit card on everyone that walks in the door (in 117 reviews)

• This job is only good if you're looking to work part time, a couple of days per week (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

Great part time job with beautiful items to sell!

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Saint Petersburg, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Saint Petersburg, FL (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

P1 is a low key, part time job that often feels like you are just talking to friends who happen to be customers.

Cons

There are always a list of things that we are to include in our conversations with customers: first and foremost, the Pier 1 rewards credit card; during the holidays UNICEF cards; add-on sales and oh yeah, get their phone numbers, email addresses and full names at the register. It's alot to ask and the customers are reluctant.

Reward the Managers and Sales Leaders. They seem a bit beaten down. It is retail, after all.

Love working here there is a great team and an encouraging atmosphere.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

It is now an evolving company that is interested in developing its employees.

Cons

Pay, "Flex shifts," intentionally rude customers.

New incentives to pitch the Pier 1 card with would make it more interesting for customers who have been waiting to apply.

Overall was a decent experience, especially as a first job.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Petaluma, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Petaluma, CA (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Genuinely enjoyed my co-workers, personally loved the product and enjoyed getting to know the ins and outs of the company.
    Learned a lot in regards to delivering good customer service and taking pride in the appearance of the store.

Cons

Well, it is retail, so having a constantly changing schedule made it challenging to make other plans at times.
    Had issues a couple of times with scheduling around school and/or a second job.

I would love to see management give extra hours to current employees instead of hiring more personnel. The employees you already have would appreciate it and it eliminates the need to train a new group of people only for them to be let go after the holidays. The current employees already have the knowledge needed for the busy seasons and will really step up their game when the demand for it is there.

Decent company, they're a little slack if you like that kind of thing.

Current Employee - Material Handler in Grove City, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Material Handler in Grove City, OH (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay, Good hours and the bosses aren't very hard on you. The attendance policy has since gotten looser at well.All the jobs you do are very easy to pick up and learn.You get good benefits and discounts if you stay.

Cons

The works so simple it can be mind numbing. Weekend shift is 12 hours for 3 days. The other employees are very highschool-minded and nerves, feelings, and gossip get quite crazy. My bosses didn't exactly make anyone feel liked except some of the girls. It felt a bit sexist.

Trying to stomp out squabbles between employees would be nice. I didn't feel like I was in a team at all.

Small Potatoes

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Room to be creative and innovate

Cons

Low pay, no room for advancement, underdeveloped support infrastructure

Nice Atmosphere, Flawed Management Strategies

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

You leave the store covered in glitter! Everything smells wonderful, and you are surrounded by beautiful merchandise. The employee discount is nice. I enjoyed genuinely helping customers meet their needs, and I often had fun working as a store associate during the holidays. Pier 1 hires great people, and my wonderful coworkers helped keep me sane during periods of stress. I learned a lot about merchandising, pricing, and the way that the retail industry operates during this job.

Cons

Some members of management put a ridiculous amount of pressure on employees to open credit card accounts. My store had a points wall which served to shame associates that had not managed to coerce customers into opening credit card accounts. I often felt like managers were talking down to me during "sales coaching" sessions, where I would be blamed for not meeting hourly sales goals. We associates are encouraged to "work" every customer, pushing additional merchandise, the credit card, and add-on items onto them. We had to try to get customer information (email, phone number, etc), as well as try to implement suggestive selling strategies all during the POS. The management is obsessed with hourly metrics, to the point that it negatively impacts the performance of the team. On top of this, bizarre scheduling practices (including the inexplicable "flex" shifts) and low pay scale make this a hard part-time job to maintain.

Treat your employees with respect, and trust in their ability to represent your product and brand. Pushing credit card services on every customer makes the company seem overly aggressive, and it diminishes the overall experience for customers and employees. Pier 1 hires great associates with great people skills and design sense, but the company loses associates frequently because of the low pay and lack of managerial support. Keep the focus on the product and lose the gimmicks.

Mostly satisfied...definitely wouldn't make it a career.

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Awesome team, hard work is recognized.

Cons

Company will suck the life out of you if you allow it.

When you have good personnel do not exploit them and burn them out.

Groundhog Day

Former Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

At first, it's a fun job. It's fast paced and there is always tasks that need to be completed. I believe the upper management truly cares but it doesn't translate or filter down to the field level.

Cons

It's literally Groundhog Day at this company. I look at their merchandise now and little has changed in the past 5-6 years. This company has a model that includes their credit card and with that said, their inventory mix should give incentive to that customer base to keep them coming back, which is does not. There is no room for growth in your career at this company unless someone dies or you want to move to TX. Store Manager is the top rung and it pays terribly low, especially for what you are asked to do.

Use some of your marketing money towards payroll. Stop moving stuff around (floorsets). It confuses the customer and takes tons of payroll hours that should be used towards assisting customers. Figure a way to move merchandise that isn't dangerous to the health of your associates. Get your online systems up to par. Add district help to the stores, ie DM or Visual DM. One Regional is not effective.

Constant pressure to push customers to open a Pier1 credit card

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Flexible schedule, nice co-workers, great discount even on sale and clearance items, nice products.

Cons

Low pay, pressure to get customers to open the Pier 1 credit card, rude customers

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Fun product, nice coworkers and customers, employee discount

Cons

Over-promoting of store credit card, very labor-intensive at times