Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated 28 August 2014

3.3

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 59 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Pushing the Pier 1 credit card so hard can really drive you and the customers crazy (in 91 reviews)

• Management gives part-time employees 4 hour shifts( anything over 4 hour shifts requires a break) (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Alright place to work but don't pay enough

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

I work with some great people for the most part, the work can be pretty fun if you like interior decorating, and there are benefits offered for all levels of employment.

Cons

Don't pay enough, work is demanding physically and can be dangerous, and they get on your case for not getting sales, conversion, and credit cards even if you are trying your best to get sales and cards. Also, scheduling and hours are a mess. Some weeks I have no real shifts, just ones I have to call in for in case they need extra help, and other weeks I have tons of hours but mostly I end up with one or two 4 and a half hour shifts which isn't enough nor what I was told I would have when I was hired (average of 20/week).

As long as an associate is talking about the card and trying to make the sales, lay off. No one is going to want to shop at Pier 1 if all people ever do is harass them about the card. Also, quit upping the number of associates at a store when there are already several people asking for more hours. Just schedule those employees more instead of screwing them over.

Gained a lot of experience but it's only a summer job

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay at Pier 1 for a Sales Associate is above minimum wage in my state, I earn $9.50/hr. I work three or four days a week for about five hours. This is a good balance for me personally because I am a student as well. At this job I have learned multi-tasking because not only I am a cashier but I am a "designer" and a shelf stocker as well. Before this job I had never worked in retail so I learned a lot of interpersonal skills. I was forced to start conversations with customers and convince them to buy from our store. Even though it may seem pushy, many customers do like to be helped. In the end, I became comfortable talking to strangers and made myself in a more charming individual.

Cons

I dislike the P1RCC. I think it is a scam and management will push you to sell it. I would rate my experience 5 stars if I didn't have to sell this stupid piece of plastic. Another dislike of this job is that you will receive little training and will learn from situations where you fail miserably and one of your co-workers will be forced to save you. I like my co-workers but my manager was a pain. He gave me attitude and expressed his annoyance with my ignorance of the cash register. It's not like it was his job to train me or anything.

Instead of selling a credit card why don't you create a rewards card instead? Nobody wants another credit card!

Also try to create a discount that is over 20%. I know that you make those pillows for a dollar. Your margins must be insane. You could be kinder to the customer.

Fun place to work, low pay, no hours

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Brandon, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Brandon, FL (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun place to work, other associates can be great to work with, many different tasks to do so you stay pretty busy, pretty flexible with time off requests, good job for a student

Cons

Low pay, if you don't get people to sign up for the pier 1 card your hours get cut even if you are a really good seller, a lot of times it is over staffed or under staffed, my store was full of women so it was sometimes hard to constantly move heavy furniture from the outside storage to the sales floor, discount wasn't that great, hours ranges from 4-16 hours a week

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company Poor Management

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time for more than a year

Pros

Discounts Love the product. Just got to watch the quality of some items.

Cons

May not be true for all locations but watch out for some managers. No respect for others.

For those DM's out there. Please recognize that every store as more then a manager. If you want to know how the store is ran day by day talk to staff they will tell you. The BS fed to you by manager not always good. The location I was at had a manager the was useless but a very good at BS on the day DM around.

Fun Coworkers, Not Enough Hours.

Current Employee - Hourly Sales Associate  in  Alexandria, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Hourly Sales Associate in Alexandria, VA (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a perfect job if you need 7-10 hours a week to supplement your income, and are very good at sales. The work environment was pretty fun overall, with very helpful coworkers, especially when just starting out. Learned key sales techniques as well as how to work the POS/how to deal with customers. Customers are most often very friendly and are open to your suggestions.

Cons

- The pay is average for hourly sales associates (9.00/hr, Sales Team Leaders make 11.00/hr).
    - I was promised 15-20 hours a week, however my hours slowly dwindled to anywhere from 4-9 hours a week. Too much pressure to sell their 27% interest rate credit card, which most people scoffed at.
    - You are expected to do everything but make the furniture -- cleaning, polishing, organizing, helping customers, greeting every customer, sweeping, working the register, etc.
    - The one associate scheduled for each shift is often left to work the store by themselves, doing the work of four associates while the manager is in their office.

As far as sharing new employee requirements (Selling X credit cards a week, making X amount of online sales a week), this should be shared with each employee, and not discovered just by happenstance. There is not enough communication from the higher-ups, and any mistake due to lack of communication (Missing a event/transition/other unusual shift, not making online sale quota, etc.), is blamed on associates and not management. I understand selling the credit card is important, but the focus should be on customer service. But overall, communication about vital company/policy changes is critical to the success of this branch.

No room for advancement at this company.

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time

Pros

Great benefits and that is all

Cons

career growth is not available. Training is minimal and people leave for worst companies just to get experience

Consider that your management is the main issue

Too much expected, too little reward

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros

25% discount on all merchandise for all associates, including sale and clearance
    You get to see the results of the surveys customers take about you (can also be a con!)

Cons

HUGE amount of pressure to open credit cards and obtain email sign-ups; hours given are based on these results

You get some of the snootiest, rude, and demanding customers

Flex shifts (basically you're on call for a designated shift; you need to call 2 hours before the start time and see if they need you or not) You are rarely called in for them, but you must still plan your day around them

Large amount of stockroom/heavy lifting that is not reflected in your paycheck

Get rid of flex shifts; we are part-time sales associates making minimum wage or a little more, not surgeons. Sales Associates and Sales Leaders have a lot of responsibilities; pay them in proportion to them.

Great Place to Work !

Current Employee - Sales Leader  in  Merrillville, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Leader in Merrillville, IN (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

Here is a place where we are surrounded by beautiful merchandise. We are able to use our creative side to help people bring together the look they have envisioned for a room, a space, or an event. The sales and discounts we inform our guest about always puts a smile on their faces. It's a very satisfying feeling when we make that connection.

Cons

Took about three days for my feet to get use to the standing.

No advice. Just a comment: She makes herself always available to her team. She knows a great team is the reflection of a great Manager.

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Baltimore, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros

I loved working here! Fair pay, good hours and fun job.

Cons

Just retail life. Working Saturdays, late nights, etc.

Lay off trying to sell the credit cards! It's hard to do nowadays and measuring performance based on credit card quotas just isn't realistic.

Depending on Management the exPIERience is great! Teams are like family and we work together. Very fun environment.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Eagan, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Eagan, MN (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible hours, great time in the stock room opening new products, friendly staff, fun to help people make their spaces reflect their styles. Definitely a place to work hard and show your self you are able to do more than you thought. Ideas are always considered and potentially put into place. Management works within your limitations and coaches to help you succeed.

Cons

Very few opportunities to be a full time employee. Some employees do not contain adequate strength to manage heavy lifting to which a select few handle those duties. Supplies for the store a very expensive.

Perhaps the employees that have been with the company for a few to several years offer them an opportunity to be a full time sales associate.

Worked for Pier 1 Imports? Contribute to the Community!