Pier 1 Imports

Updated 19 August 2014

3.2

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 59 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Pushing the Pier 1 credit card so hard can really drive you and the customers crazy (in 91 reviews)

• Management gives part-time employees 4 hour shifts( anything over 4 hour shifts requires a break) (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Alright place to work but don't pay enough

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

I work with some great people for the most part, the work can be pretty fun if you like interior decorating, and there are benefits offered for all levels of employment.

Cons

Don't pay enough, work is demanding physically and can be dangerous, and they get on your case for not getting sales, conversion, and credit cards even if you are trying your best to get sales and cards. Also, scheduling and hours are a mess. Some weeks I have no real shifts, just ones I have to call in for in case they need extra help, and other weeks I have tons of hours but mostly I end up with one or two 4 and a half hour shifts which isn't enough nor what I was told I would have when I was hired (average of 20/week).

As long as an associate is talking about the card and trying to make the sales, lay off. No one is going to want to shop at Pier 1 if all people ever do is harass them about the card. Also, quit upping the number of associates at a store when there are already several people asking for more hours. Just schedule those employees more instead of screwing them over.

Gained a lot of experience but it's only a summer job

Current Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

The pay at Pier 1 for a Sales Associate is above minimum wage in my state, I earn $9.50/hr. I work three or four days a week for about five hours. This is a good balance for me personally because I am a student as well. At this job I have learned multi-tasking because not only I am a cashier but I am a "designer" and a shelf stocker as well. Before this job I had never worked in retail so I learned a lot of interpersonal skills. I was forced to start conversations with customers and convince them to buy from our store. Even though it may seem pushy, many customers do like to be helped. In the end, I became comfortable talking to strangers and made myself in a more charming individual.

Cons

I dislike the P1RCC. I think it is a scam and management will push you to sell it. I would rate my experience 5 stars if I didn't have to sell this stupid piece of plastic. Another dislike of this job is that you will receive little training and will learn from situations where you fail miserably and one of your co-workers will be forced to save you. I like my co-workers but my manager was a pain. He gave me attitude and expressed his annoyance with my ignorance of the cash register. It's not like it was his job to train me or anything.

Instead of selling a credit card why don't you create a rewards card instead? Nobody wants another credit card!

Also try to create a discount that is over 20%. I know that you make those pillows for a dollar. Your margins must be insane. You could be kinder to the customer.

Fun place to work, low pay, no hours

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Brandon, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Brandon, FL (US)

Pros

Fun place to work, other associates can be great to work with, many different tasks to do so you stay pretty busy, pretty flexible with time off requests, good job for a student

Cons

Low pay, if you don't get people to sign up for the pier 1 card your hours get cut even if you are a really good seller, a lot of times it is over staffed or under staffed, my store was full of women so it was sometimes hard to constantly move heavy furniture from the outside storage to the sales floor, discount wasn't that great, hours ranges from 4-16 hours a week

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company Poor Management

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

Pros

Discounts Love the product. Just got to watch the quality of some items.

Cons

May not be true for all locations but watch out for some managers. No respect for others.

For those DM's out there. Please recognize that every store as more then a manager. If you want to know how the store is ran day by day talk to staff they will tell you. The BS fed to you by manager not always good. The location I was at had a manager the was useless but a very good at BS on the day DM around.

Fun Coworkers, Not Enough Hours.

Current Employee - Hourly Sales Associate  in  Alexandria, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Hourly Sales Associate in Alexandria, VA (US)

Pros

This is a perfect job if you need 7-10 hours a week to supplement your income, and are very good at sales. The work environment was pretty fun overall, with very helpful coworkers, especially when just starting out. Learned key sales techniques as well as how to work the POS/how to deal with customers. Customers are most often very friendly and are open to your suggestions.

Cons

- The pay is average for hourly sales associates (9.00/hr, Sales Team Leaders make 11.00/hr).
    - I was promised 15-20 hours a week, however my hours slowly dwindled to anywhere from 4-9 hours a week. Too much pressure to sell their 27% interest rate credit card, which most people scoffed at.
    - You are expected to do everything but make the furniture -- cleaning, polishing, organizing, helping customers, greeting every customer, sweeping, working the register, etc.
    - The one associate scheduled for each shift is often left to work the store by themselves, doing the work of four associates while the manager is in their office.

As far as sharing new employee requirements (Selling X credit cards a week, making X amount of online sales a week), this should be shared with each employee, and not discovered just by happenstance. There is not enough communication from the higher-ups, and any mistake due to lack of communication (Missing a event/transition/other unusual shift, not making online sale quota, etc.), is blamed on associates and not management. I understand selling the credit card is important, but the focus should be on customer service. But overall, communication about vital company/policy changes is critical to the success of this branch.

No room for advancement at this company.

Pros

Great benefits and that is all

Cons

career growth is not available. Training is minimal and people leave for worst companies just to get experience

Consider that your management is the main issue

Too much expected, too little reward

Current Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

25% discount on all merchandise for all associates, including sale and clearance
    You get to see the results of the surveys customers take about you (can also be a con!)

Cons

HUGE amount of pressure to open credit cards and obtain email sign-ups; hours given are based on these results

You get some of the snootiest, rude, and demanding customers

Flex shifts (basically you're on call for a designated shift; you need to call 2 hours before the start time and see if they need you or not) You are rarely called in for them, but you must still plan your day around them

Large amount of stockroom/heavy lifting that is not reflected in your paycheck

Get rid of flex shifts; we are part-time sales associates making minimum wage or a little more, not surgeons. Sales Associates and Sales Leaders have a lot of responsibilities; pay them in proportion to them.

Don't do it.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Sherwood Park, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sherwood Park, AB (Canada)

Pros

You can change your availability as much as you want, check your schedule online at home, they're really good about giving certain time off for appointments etc.

Cons

You only get unpaid half hour lunch breaks, the management is totally apathetic when it comes to you as a person (you're just a number in their eyes), everybody is pretentious, you will constantly receive "cues" even when every customer in your section either has been helped or doesn't want help.

This is not the place to work if you're a hard worker and want to move up

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Stockroom Associate  in  Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Stockroom Associate in Cincinnati, OH (US)

Pros

Working for this type of store was great. I enjoyed the various merchandise selection and how unique things were. The merchandise changed so often. If enjoy working with customers, then this is the place for you - very customer service centered - almost a bit overboard.

Cons

This is not the place to work for if you're a hard worker. People were completely taken advantage of during the three years with this company. All of the tasks, merchandising, setting sales, etc was put heavily on certain associates shoulders and was only a Sales Associate. The few of us did more work than the majority of the Sales Leads and Management.
    Knew everything about that store and was never given the opportunity to move up with the company. Was always told it would happen, and how deserving of it but over three years keeping that store together, felt it was time to leave.
    Management hires and puts in those people they "want" or "know" versus who makes the best fit.
    There were also no "full time" associates. Even Sales Leaders were part-time so didn't have to pay health benefits.

Needs to think and consider hiring those who are "good"fits for the company - those who work hard, deserve, and want higher positions.

Solid retail experience, but can get quite boring.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Mansfield, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mansfield, TX (US)

Pros

It's an easy job that you don't have to be too present to perform. You get to wear simple black slacks and an apron, and you get to meet all kinds of people. It's a great opportunity to grow your interpersonal skills, and you can earn commission on furniture and special sales.

Cons

Can sometimes become mind numbingly boring. The clientele can spend hours looking at one product and you hope for commission on a sale, then they leave. This happens often. Not much room for growth, even if working full time. Low salary, with only okay benefits.

Worked for Pier 1 Imports? Contribute to the Community!