Pier 1 Imports

www.pier1.com
Profile Unclaimed

Physically demanding job.

Former Employee - Sales Leader in Rochester Hills, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Leader in Rochester Hills, MI (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Learned selling skills, inventory management, visual merchandising.

Cons

Very physically demanding. Ruined a lot of clothes. Low pay for what they expect from you.

Incentive for sales (commission) would be tremendous.

It's hard to stay busy, the work is very tedious, and there's TONS of standing around time with no customers

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great experience learning how to deal with unpleasant customers, EXTREMELY flexible work hours, 25% off everything in the store including items already on sale

Cons

The rushes can be dizzying and stressful, and the long pauses when there aren't ANY customers in the store can make you want to stab yourself in the face with a reed diffuser...

Try to be more aware of the harsh realities of flex shifts...

I love working there for the people, the products and the discount.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Great staff, friendly customers, wonderful products, great staff discount

Cons

Very low pay
    No full time opportunity at this level

Higher salary = happy employee. Starting salary is very low. Look at high employee turnover as reason to make starting salary higher. Better for you - don't waste money training people who will leave. Invest in your employees and they will reward you with loyalty.

Pier 1 Sales Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Easy hours
    Fun place to work
    Above minimum wage

Cons

Need to get credit cards and will be hounded if you dont
    Need to get people to order in store
    Minimal growth

Don't make credit cards so important. It's 2015 and people have bad credit. Not everyone wants one.

Fun if you love to decorate but hard to advance in the company.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Huntington Beach, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Huntington Beach, CA (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Aesthetically pleasing environment to work in and helping people to decorate their homes is always fun. Co-workers are nice. Pretty decent discount.

Cons

Pay is pretty mediocre in any of the positions. Most employees are part time and with the exception of sales leaders you'll be lucky to get 16 hours a week (usually about 12 hours a week for most). How many hours you get is directly related to how many credit cards you get people to open each shift (no cards = no hours).

Give everyone within a given store who is interested a fair shot at a Sales Leader position and don't promote someone in secret without letting everyone know there is an opening.

I like it there

Current Employee - Sales Leader in Newington, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Leader in Newington, CT (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Great manager. Great training at times. Nice customers for the most part

Cons

Schedule and pay isn't the best.

Work under the pressure. It's not the product that you are selling it is more a credit card.

Former Employee - Sale Associate in Plantation, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Sale Associate in Plantation, FL (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

I loved the product and the store itself gives you a desire to work. Pier Import has the stuff of great quality and the most of the people I was working with were nice.

Cons

The manager was very : all about the money and not very nice with the customers which I found unbearable. You can not earn a lot of money there except if you were a manager. It's more for students but even If I were a student I wouldn't see the profit. When you pay gas what rests for you? And you are scheduled just from time to time and only 4 hours at a time.

You should think more about your customers than about selling them a credit card by all means. Also when somebody buys a lot you have to satisfy some of their "necessary " wishes , ex: how to better wrap a product instead of saying " I don't care" . I was shocked! It's good to earn the money , but you have to give in order to receive, specially in sales like this.

Unpleasant

Former Employee - Store Manager in Somerset, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Somerset, NJ (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I did like the merchandise, other than furniture. First manager was flexible with time off and timetable for completing tasks.

Cons

Extreme micro-management by upper management. No support during heavy floor set transitions. Constant surprise visits aimed at collecting disparaging information on the staff. Threatened disciplinary action even when performance was best in region. Played favorites, held those in favor to less of a standard. Training during first two weeks was non existent . Was placed in front of a computer for two weeks and told to read policy and procedure. Furniture was cheap and often fell apart while building it for the floor.

Take a hard look at your regional managers, rather than micromanaging your store teams. There is more physicality in this company compared to many other retailers, so there should be more hours and full time Sales Leaders, as well as a full time stock person. When unloading thirty pallets from a full tractor trailer and getting no stock hours while having to have it done in one day was next to impossible. Set policy and adhere to it, not changing constantly depending on the circumstance. Mindshare, instead of being a tool, was a KPI that you were drilled about over and over.

Being surrounded by beautiful things is a great perk!

Current Employee - Part Time Sales in Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The store and products are beautiful. The customers are always happy when they enter the store. As an employee you get a generous discount of 25%. Flexibility on hours with an emphasis on a work-life balance.

Cons

An over emphasis on selling customers on the Pier 1 rewards credit card. When business slows down (and it does often) hours are drastically cut. So one week you may work 22 hours, the next 4 hours.

Take better care of your Sales Leaders, and sales Managers. They are always stressed. The store's backbone is part time workers, pay them better so there isn't so much turn over.

You'll have amazing co-workers, but feel like the company doesn't care about you at all.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Discount, solid training, easy atmosphere, great starting off point, usually competent management outside of upper and corporate.

Cons

Minimum/poor wage for the amount of work associates do, constant cutting of hours, "FLEX" shifts, having to shove credit cards on customers, if you're the only associate that
    day and someone has to pick up furniture... good luck.

Notice how much work your employees do for your company. We manage our stockrooms, keep problems away from upper management, and provide excellent customer service. Doesn't that deserve better pay rates or better hours? You drain us during the holidays and schedule skeleton shifts in the months that follow. That's cruel.