Pier 1 Imports

Updated 24 January 2015
Updated 24 January 2015

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 65 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to push the Pier 1 credit card on everyone that walks in the door (in 117 reviews)

• This job is only good if you're looking to work part time, a couple of days per week (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun environment. Friendly staff. Laid back.

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Friendly staff fun environment to work at

Cons

On call shifts and unexpected long shifts

not worth the aggravation

Former Employee - Cashier in Fort Myers, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Fort Myers, FL (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

good employee discount , nice people to work with some of them anyway

Cons

you have to keep pushing the credit card no matter how may times a customer will say no. you have to sign a promise note that you will get a certain # of credit card signups,that month,if you don't they don't like it, flexible schedule , so you have to call to see if you have to work , seasonal employees are treated like crap

less rules on credit card sales, people donnot always want this and do not appreciate being bombarded with it

Boring and Long

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

1. 25% off associate discount on regular, sale, and clearance items
    2. Got payed higher than minimum wage.

Cons

1. Long 4-5 hour shifts without a break
    2. Flex days where you have to call in 2 hours before your shift to see if they need you. It's like being on call without getting paid.
    3. If the store is not busing you get sent home early; thus, cutting into your hours-and pay.
    4. They are very annal about how the store is set up. For example, tearing down and reorganizing the entire pillow wall (5 hour job) to make it look exactly like the picture in the planner. (Why bother when it's just going to get torn part and changed.) Only certain pillows and throws can site on the furniture, etc.
    5. Constant pressure to push the Pier 1 Rewards Credit Card. They are always nagging about it and you are expected to sell one per shift.
    6. Forced to get customers phone numbers, emails, and names at the register.
    7. Can only wear solid black or white tops.
    8. Be prepared for early morning 6 a.m. shifts and late night 12-1 am transition shifts. (These actually are better than working the sales floor because you actually have stuff to do.
    9. When the store is not busy and you aren't given a project you pointlessly walk around and straighten the store. It's extremely boring and the hours crawl by.

1. Stop pressuring associates to sell the P1RCC
    2. Give associates a 5-10 minutes break so that they can go to the back and grab a snack or some water. (Especially during a 5 hour shift.)
    3. Don't force associates to ask for email and phone numbers.
    4. Don't cut hours.
    5. Get ride of flex days or we should get paid because it ruins the whole day when you have to sit around and wonder if you need to go in.

Great Part - Time

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Richmond, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Richmond, VA (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Great merchandise
    Usually great employees
    Company values

Cons

Little to no growth within the company

Lack of promotion results in low employee retention.

No accountability.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Evansville, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Evansville, IN (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is a fun place to work in general. It smells nice, I get to look at pretty things all day, and help people design different aspects of their houses (centerpieces, furniture, etc.).

Cons

I don't know if it is like this at every Pier 1, but the employees (including the sale leaders) are constantly late and not reprimanded for it. It makes for an irritating day when I have to stay extra because someone else was late.

There is little to no motivation for the employees to sell Pier 1 Rewards Credit Cards. Occasionally, the company will do something with prizes every time you sign someone up, but the prizes are lame and include non-prizes like "selling tips." I just feel like there is no reason for me to meet my goal everyday except to better the company. While it is a good thing to better the company as a whole, I still think we as employees should be rewarded for our hard work.

Brief Review of Pier 1 Imports

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

The love of the ever changing merchandise that Pier 1 sells is a consistent motivator to share to the customers to drive results.

Cons

The company often puts too many tasks on store teams in a short amount of time. The company's high expectations of sales results are often demotivating. The company needs to do a better job helping stores recruit to their taint needs.

A decent job

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible hours
    Benefits
    Advancement
    Generally a fun place to work

Cons

Management structure
    Low accountability
    Spotty following of OSHA regulations

Better check and balance systems need to be put in place. The store manager can make or break you. Closer involvement with regional managers would ensure that all employees are treated fairly. I have seen favoritism in scheduling (not based on performance or availability) and performance reviews which did not match my observations as an ASM on multiple occasions. There is not a system in place to address these issues without repercussions (SE Michigan)

Not a bad place to work if you want discounts on furniture.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Stockroom Associate in King of Prussia, PA (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Attentive and friendly managers, staff works excellent as a team, the position is flexible

Cons

Dealing with the occasional frustrating customer can be tedious

Recognize potential in your employees and consider training them for advancement positions within the company.

Good company

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Flexible, good pay, good people

Cons

No best practice to follow

Great part time job with beautiful items to sell!

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Saint Petersburg, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Saint Petersburg, FL (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

P1 is a low key, part time job that often feels like you are just talking to friends who happen to be customers.

Cons

There are always a list of things that we are to include in our conversations with customers: first and foremost, the Pier 1 rewards credit card; during the holidays UNICEF cards; add-on sales and oh yeah, get their phone numbers, email addresses and full names at the register. It's alot to ask and the customers are reluctant.

Reward the Managers and Sales Leaders. They seem a bit beaten down. It is retail, after all.