Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated 28 October 2014
3.1

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 61 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to push the Pier 1 credit card on everyone that walks in the door (in 111 reviews)

• This job is only good if you're looking to work part time, a couple of days per week (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

Just an average part time job

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-good part time work for high school/college students looking for extra money
    -25% discount

Cons

-no opportunity to advance
    -most of the products are overpriced crap
    -way too much pressure to sell credit cards, makes customers irritated/uncomfortable
    -low pay, low hours. This is not a job for someone with a family to feed.
    -unreliable scheduling (flex shifts, varied hours, schedule not posted until late in the week so there can be conflicts if you work 2 jobs)
    -inappropriate clothing requirements (no one is allowed to wear sneakers, despite daily ladder use, furniture moving, and stockroom work)

-Back off with the credit cards. Don't punish employees if a customer doesn't want one.

Store Policy's are Ridiculous

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

The environment is nice and the people are friendly. Sales goals when met get you bonus's

Cons

The store policy saying nothing is allowed on you on the sales floor is ridiculous. You have to buy locks for your "own" locker to put your belongings in. I did not feel I needed to buy a locker when all I have on me was my phone keys and wallet. It was an argument stating if I couldn't follow policy about leaving it in the back than don't show back up for work. I have done nothing but be a team player and drive this company up with in store surveys and meeting sales goals. It's a shame the policies are a little too much and they seems to pick more on the younger crowd versus the older employees.

Be fair to ALL employees and not just pick and choose.

Very pushy environment

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

25% off discount.
    fun seeing all the new merchandise come in

Cons

Flexes!!!! If you have a flex shift it means you have to call two hours before your shift to see if they need you in or not. its a huge waste of time and i have flexes every day. either my first half or second half of my shifts are flexes.

this job is terrible at working around schedules. I can't work a hour after store is closed for safety reasons but they schedule me for transitions that mean I don't leave until 1am and I have no way home so I have to walk or call a cab. I explained to my manager and put in teamworks my availability which is pretty flexable because I can work seven days a week open to close but they still choose to disregard my safety and take advantage of me and force me to work at times in unable and leave me stranded.

they want you to harass customers. We have to greet every customer that comes in the store and ask them what brings them in (which customers usually say they are browsing and give you a look like go away) than you have to touch back in with them to push sales and the card than when you ring them out push the card and the survey. Its just too pushy

I climb matters everyday. The store is so crowded with merchandise they stack things ontop of each other and the store looks clustered. Unorganized I can't find merchandise. IMAX will say we have two items and I just can't locate them so the disorganization is causing loss of sales. When I climb latters to get chairs up on the diameter of the store I don't feel safe and I'm forced to lift chairs on latters regardless of my fears of safety.

turnover rate is high. Employees dont stick.

pay is bad. Not worth all the harassing, waste of time flexes I have to stop my life for and never get called in, risks of injury and they will fight you on workmans comp. But expect you to climb like a monkey and move heavy furniture. No safety belts or anything

Our safety should come first. it obviously doesnt at all whatsoever! I agree on pushing the card but theres a fine line between pushing and harassing! And dont expect to pay close to minimum wage with 12 hours a week and get $26 a hour fulltime work! Care about the people who have influence on your customers!

Not as shiny as it looks on the outside

Current Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas. Attempt to engage associates

Cons

0 room for career advancement past store manager. They only hire externally for anything higher than that. Extremely low wages with often no raises. It's all who you know and not your work performance.

Engage your people better and reward them for the hard work it takes to make the store a success. Stop hiring external snake oil salesman who can talk the good talk and actually don't do anything once in their roles. You have dedicated people who have proven time and time again to be successful in the organization. Tap into that talent and set up a training program to get Store Managers to the next level.

Good people and lots of potential for the company

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than an year)

Pros

awesome vacation, work/life balance, flexible work hours; trusting leadership, for the most part

Cons

Low pay, long commute, work in silos; old fashioned thinking; the organization is its own worst enemy. The company functions like a start up (no real office supplies, old computers, etc).

Invest in your people (including current, not just new) and technology. Without investment, it's tough to grow and evolve with the times.

Made great friends and learned a lot about merchandising.

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I worked with wonderful people and the job provides tons of exercise. The products are overall pretty cool. The music is fun and upbeat. If you work only PT and you are good at opening credit cards, it can be very enjoyable.

Cons

The distribution center is a nightmare, which made store-level merchandise flow terribly hard to manage. They don't offer a realistic amount of payroll to get necessary work done and there's been an increasing amount of damaged product which leads to unhappy customers. Their (high interest/low benefit) credit card is hard to push and there's tons of pressure to do so.

Add 20% more payroll and lower the credit card pressure, or offer better benefits to open/use one. I agree the 6 selling standards are important. Trying to uphold them with only 2 or 3 people in the store while attending to walk-ins, pick-ups, phone calls, E-comm, and customer service issues is nearly impossible, even with the best intentions and effort.

Me experience was good

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You learn lots of merchandising and matching coclors

Cons

Low pay, silly rules and not structure with horrible in stock counts. Their inventory is always off. Also no placement on district team, lots of managers are not strong enough to be managers

Better rules and hire sales people not just older people who need a job

My SM is the best boss I have ever had.

Current Employee - Associate in Littleton, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Associate in Littleton, CO (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a great place to work. Make sure you like glitter!
    The store I work at is wonderful. Our manager is kind and respectful. He values his employees and goes out of his way to make sure they are taken care of (even disregarding his superior's instructions at times). He is willing to help his people advance. He is never too busy to chat with associates about concerns.
    The company is very typical for retail.
    I worked at another P1 in the area. That manager was a nightmare. No respect or compassion for her employees. Each store is different and associates' satisfaction will be dependent upon management.

Cons

That infamous P1 credit card! I hate trying to sell anything to a person that they don't want to apply for.
    They follow the Walmart model; few full time employees, pay that won't support a family.

Find a strong team of full time employees, reward your people with monetary bonuses. Put people in positions that highlight their strengths. Pay a living wage.

Lifetime career

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

-Organization is open to feedback and ideas from all levels, and impliments changes quickly
    -Caring and personal work place, from store level to home office, to distribution centers and overseas vendors
    -Always room for professional skill growth, lots of peers with tenure to get advise from, open communiction with RM and DM. Honest, open, no fears of repercussions. No horse and pony shows.
    -Pay is average, depends on your role and location. QTD bonuses for SM, and monthly bonuses for SLTeam and sometimes associates too.
    -Always making sound financial decisions, cash in the bank, invests heavily in tech/online, securing our ability to compete in everchanging retail landscape

Cons

-Difficult to get a store, as most managers are lifers with 10-25 years experience. You may have to move to get one!
    -Time off is hard to schedule, as tasking is heavy during natural times people take vacations. Also management teams are only 4 or 5 people and we often have conflicts.
    -Pier 1 OWNS your Sundays, transitions, meetings, events, markdowns. It is both a hight sales day and a heavy task day, so kiss it goodbye.
    -Heavy turn with part time sales leader postions, and only a few stores(high volume) qualify for getting a full time position in their stores. This is such a critical role in each store, we all need 1 full time sales leader.The time we spend sourcing and training replacements is a total waste, and can kill the internal/external customer experience.
    -Ignore the harping on selling the P1RCard. These customers with our credit card are critical to our future, we are sales people after all, and the charge is something we should want to share with customers. Getting points, reward certificates, coupons and often saving money is part of any natural selling conversation.

-Consider having FULL time sales leads in every store, its a win win.
    -continue to work out the kinks with allocations, ecomm and availability of merch for customers, you may not realise how many managers drive from store to store, picking up items to complete sales for customers(on our personal time)
    -continue to help us get the POS more efficient, the constant delay's, issues with having to do off line returns, and merchandise card exchanges takes forever, and makes us at the store look incompetent. There is a LONG way to go with these registers until they are smooth sailing.
    -thank you for giving us more payroll for freight processing and training, however there is still a disparity in payroll for events and freight.
    -the new survey reporting is terrible, we need to take a masters class in order to decifer it and roll it down to associates. The old company's reporting was incredible, and we incorporated it in with our daily focus. Go back !!!!

A pretty good company to work for if you're going to school.

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

Very accepting of its peoples goals, and understanding of peoples differences.

Cons

You're trained on the job. So sink or swim.