Pier 1 Imports

Updated 25 November 2014
3.1

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 61 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to push the Pier 1 credit card on everyone that walks in the door (in 111 reviews)

• This job is only good if you're looking to work part time, a couple of days per week (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

Friendly and unorganized

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Best people I've ever worked with, family culture. Lots of training for the job and managers that really care about what they do. 25% discount.

Cons

No respect for schedules. Required late night projects and early morning meetings not specified in the hiring process outside of normal business hours. Low wages for what is required/expected of you. No commission for sales.

Give the option for no "flex" shifts.
    Higher starting wage.
    Give commissions for rewards card sales.

Over-worked as a part-timer

Former Employee - Sales Associate in College Station, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in College Station, TX (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fast paced work
    Opportunities to distinguish oneself from work accomplishments
    Discounts on store merchandise

Cons

Sales goals set unrealistically high for the amount of store traffic
    Penalties arising from not meeting those sales goals
    Was forced to work through sickness, resulting in more sickness

Do not expect part-timers who are on a tight schedule (school, other jobs, etc.) to reach the top of the sales chart during their time there. It is very improbable for those that work 15 hours.

A good part time job.

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

The people I work with are really nice. Everyone is willing to help each other out with tasks and the team.
    Management is very accommodating about scheduling needs even when it's somewhat last minute.
    It's generally laid back and okay if you can't finish your task because of the team work. Other people will step in where you leave off and it isn't a big deal if something is left unfinished because the focus is making sure the customers are happiest.

Cons

The store I work as has a lot of older customers and they don't want to be solicited for the credit card or even have their phone numbers added to the database.
    The pay is very low. My manager actually never told me how much I would be making but assured me that with my decade of retail experience and interior design degree that I would be making more than the $8 base. Technically, ten cents is more but it only means an extra dollar per week. They also never told me if we got paid weekly or biweekly.
    Schedules are supposed to come out early in the week and I've never seen when I work next week prior to the Friday before.
    Employees call off constantly or leave early and there seems to be no consequence. I'm heavily pregnant and sent up ladders and work long shifts with no breaks but the girl who is five minutes pregnant always leaves at least an hour early, sits on furniture during her shift, and has food and drinks on the floor.
    There tend to be either too many people scheduled for a shift or too few. Recently I worked a Wednesday with 8 people and a Saturday with 3.

Focus on talking directly to your employees instead of leaving them with a lot of questions and having to pass info on to each other.

Great experience with Pier One Imports

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

I really liked working for Pier One because they were flexible with my schedule, and they really appreciate their employees. You get Christmas bucks and an opportunity to become the employee of the month/year which is neat.

Cons

There is no heavy lifting support. Usually there are two associates working so if you sell a huge entertainment center during a shift you are expected to take it out.

Keep being flexible and appreciative of your employees and your company will continue to thrive. Extra help for heavy lifting is recommended.

Great environment to work!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Riverhead, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Riverhead, NY (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun and cheerful environment
    employees very nice
    short hours (shifts 4-5 hrs) and flexible, will work with your schedule
    Can move up to sales leader if hard working and want to move up to management
    get to know your coworkers

Cons

I worked at pier 1 part-time

Hard work pays off

Former Employee - Sales Leader in Pasadena, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Leader in Pasadena, MD (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They offer bonuses for meeting your sales goals. They really value every employee and treat you fairly. Very relaxed, fun environment.

Cons

Sometimes the work load expected is a bit much when you have to balance payroll...yet you're still expected to get everything done.

I created a family here and enjoyed my tenure at Pier 1 Imports.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The atmosphere is very team oriented and we feed energy of each other.

Cons

Scheduling is never really done in advance and there was a lot of pressure for employees to open up Pier 1 Rewards Credit Card.

Keep up the good work!

I honestly am not enjoying it here.

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Occasionally you get nice people that you work with.

Cons

I did not receive a choice of direct deposit or a paycard, they just gave me a paycard. The paycard that I believe is the standard is Metabank which is a terrible company in its self (money won't transfer to your bank correctly, awful customer service, etc.) I didn't get many hours a week, 5 hours tops, even if I am seasonal at a previous job I received 10-15 hours. And recently I never got paid for one of the days I worked there. Lastly when receiving shipments, many of the boxes are marked wrong or are indecipherable.

Get organized.

Terrible, Terrible Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The compensation was good, $10. But not good enough to deal with how low the managers were.

Cons

Applied online for Seasonal Sales Associate- called in for an interview. Waited almost 30 minutes for interview to find out it was a group interview. Following the interview they called me almost a week later asking if I wanted the position. I accepted came in for my first day of training, waited another 30 minutes for them to "be ready" I was considering leaving, I should have. After beginning training I learned it was more of a back stock position versus a Sales Associate position, and the sales associates would not even acknowledge me. I left and never returned.

Be out right with what you are hiring for. Someone will want that job, without having to sucker someone with 4+ years of retail experience into doing it.

Okay, entertaining and interesting

Current Employee - Merchandise in Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Merchandise in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Team work, bonus if we make our stretch for the month and discounts

Cons

after a certain time I felt unappreciated I work really hard and never get recognized or promoted

Really take the time with your associates there is potential and really enforce team work its a main game changer with everyone working together you can make a lot and get credit cards an make your stretch