Pier 1 Imports

Updated 15 November 2014
3.1

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 61 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to push the Pier 1 credit card on everyone that walks in the door (in 111 reviews)

• This job is only good if you're looking to work part time, a couple of days per week (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

Over-worked as a part-timer

Former Employee - Sales Associate in College Station, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in College Station, TX (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fast paced work
    Opportunities to distinguish oneself from work accomplishments
    Discounts on store merchandise

Cons

Sales goals set unrealistically high for the amount of store traffic
    Penalties arising from not meeting those sales goals
    Was forced to work through sickness, resulting in more sickness

Do not expect part-timers who are on a tight schedule (school, other jobs, etc.) to reach the top of the sales chart during their time there. It is very improbable for those that work 15 hours.

A good part time job.

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

The people I work with are really nice. Everyone is willing to help each other out with tasks and the team.
    Management is very accommodating about scheduling needs even when it's somewhat last minute.
    It's generally laid back and okay if you can't finish your task because of the team work. Other people will step in where you leave off and it isn't a big deal if something is left unfinished because the focus is making sure the customers are happiest.

Cons

The store I work as has a lot of older customers and they don't want to be solicited for the credit card or even have their phone numbers added to the database.
    The pay is very low. My manager actually never told me how much I would be making but assured me that with my decade of retail experience and interior design degree that I would be making more than the $8 base. Technically, ten cents is more but it only means an extra dollar per week. They also never told me if we got paid weekly or biweekly.
    Schedules are supposed to come out early in the week and I've never seen when I work next week prior to the Friday before.
    Employees call off constantly or leave early and there seems to be no consequence. I'm heavily pregnant and sent up ladders and work long shifts with no breaks but the girl who is five minutes pregnant always leaves at least an hour early, sits on furniture during her shift, and has food and drinks on the floor.
    There tend to be either too many people scheduled for a shift or too few. Recently I worked a Wednesday with 8 people and a Saturday with 3.

Focus on talking directly to your employees instead of leaving them with a lot of questions and having to pass info on to each other.

Very pushy environment

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

25% off discount.
    fun seeing all the new merchandise come in

Cons

Flexes!!!! If you have a flex shift it means you have to call two hours before your shift to see if they need you in or not. its a huge waste of time and i have flexes every day. either my first half or second half of my shifts are flexes.

this job is terrible at working around schedules. I can't work a hour after store is closed for safety reasons but they schedule me for transitions that mean I don't leave until 1am and I have no way home so I have to walk or call a cab. I explained to my manager and put in teamworks my availability which is pretty flexable because I can work seven days a week open to close but they still choose to disregard my safety and take advantage of me and force me to work at times in unable and leave me stranded.

they want you to harass customers. We have to greet every customer that comes in the store and ask them what brings them in (which customers usually say they are browsing and give you a look like go away) than you have to touch back in with them to push sales and the card than when you ring them out push the card and the survey. Its just too pushy

I climb matters everyday. The store is so crowded with merchandise they stack things ontop of each other and the store looks clustered. Unorganized I can't find merchandise. IMAX will say we have two items and I just can't locate them so the disorganization is causing loss of sales. When I climb latters to get chairs up on the diameter of the store I don't feel safe and I'm forced to lift chairs on latters regardless of my fears of safety.

turnover rate is high. Employees dont stick.

pay is bad. Not worth all the harassing, waste of time flexes I have to stop my life for and never get called in, risks of injury and they will fight you on workmans comp. But expect you to climb like a monkey and move heavy furniture. No safety belts or anything

Our safety should come first. it obviously doesnt at all whatsoever! I agree on pushing the card but theres a fine line between pushing and harassing! And dont expect to pay close to minimum wage with 12 hours a week and get $26 a hour fulltime work! Care about the people who have influence on your customers!

Great experience with Pier One Imports

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

I really liked working for Pier One because they were flexible with my schedule, and they really appreciate their employees. You get Christmas bucks and an opportunity to become the employee of the month/year which is neat.

Cons

There is no heavy lifting support. Usually there are two associates working so if you sell a huge entertainment center during a shift you are expected to take it out.

Keep being flexible and appreciative of your employees and your company will continue to thrive. Extra help for heavy lifting is recommended.

Great environment to work!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Riverhead, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Riverhead, NY (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun and cheerful environment
    employees very nice
    short hours (shifts 4-5 hrs) and flexible, will work with your schedule
    Can move up to sales leader if hard working and want to move up to management
    get to know your coworkers

Cons

I worked at pier 1 part-time

Hard work pays off

Former Employee - Sales Leader in Pasadena, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Leader in Pasadena, MD (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They offer bonuses for meeting your sales goals. They really value every employee and treat you fairly. Very relaxed, fun environment.

Cons

Sometimes the work load expected is a bit much when you have to balance payroll...yet you're still expected to get everything done.

I created a family here and enjoyed my tenure at Pier 1 Imports.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The atmosphere is very team oriented and we feed energy of each other.

Cons

Scheduling is never really done in advance and there was a lot of pressure for employees to open up Pier 1 Rewards Credit Card.

Keep up the good work!

Terrible, Terrible Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The compensation was good, $10. But not good enough to deal with how low the managers were.

Cons

Applied online for Seasonal Sales Associate- called in for an interview. Waited almost 30 minutes for interview to find out it was a group interview. Following the interview they called me almost a week later asking if I wanted the position. I accepted came in for my first day of training, waited another 30 minutes for them to "be ready" I was considering leaving, I should have. After beginning training I learned it was more of a back stock position versus a Sales Associate position, and the sales associates would not even acknowledge me. I left and never returned.

Be out right with what you are hiring for. Someone will want that job, without having to sucker someone with 4+ years of retail experience into doing it.

a learning experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-discount
    -short shifts (could also be a con though)
    -my coworkers and I all felt like a family (I met 2 of my best friends working here)
    -work/life balance, flexible schedule
    -nice merchandise
    -there were times working here where I really did have a lot of fun

Cons

Admittedly...I had a lot of issues working here.
    -The pay is very very low, and absolutely nothing to live off of or support yourself
    -you get almost no hours every week, I think the most I ever got in one week was about 24, but usually it was way less.
    -very high turnover rate...seriously most of our associates dropped like flies in there
    -lots of negative feedback from managers, you're rarely told what you have done right
    -some of the upper management team was extremely lazy and condescending
    -lots of pressure on sales associates to sell, almost to the point to where it felt like we were forcing/guilting a customer into buying things. I felt that a lot of the selling techniques were "sneaky" and too pushy
    -I felt like the values and a lot of how the store was ran was very "old fashioned". We had very old cash registers (that -were anything but customer friendly), I've just never felt that wearing an apron at a store like Pier 1 was very professional, and we're not allowed to wear sneakers to a very physically demanding job.
    -very disorganized...I remember looking in our inventory on a regular basis to show that we had 2 of whatever in stock, and almost never being able to find the items. Or customers never being called because the items they ordered finally arrived, or even misplacing the items they bought in some cases.
    -It got a little ridiculous with how many tasks you were expected to have completed before the end of your 4-5 hour shifts, on top of helping customers.
    -now..the P1RCC......this above everything else. Trying to sell this credit card was the most stressful part of the job. Our hours really did seem to depend on it, and at times even our job. Management would threaten you with a write up if you did not sell the credit card, and there were cases of people in management positions stealing the credit of selling a P1RCC to a customer that another associate had been helping. I had my assistant manager tell me one time that I could not leave the store that day unless I had sold the credit card to a customer.

-don't hire so many people...is it really necessary to have like 200 associates working for the store? (not really, but that's what it felt like). This gives people who have worked for the store for a while, and people who actually deserve it, more hours. because there are so many associates, this causes a huge turnover rate because people are quitting as result of not getting any hours. I think this would help avoid the issue...
    -let us know what we are doing right...constructive criticism, correcting us, helping us is all fine. But positive feedback would be nice every once in a while.
    -the focus should be on customer service and selling the products to the customers, not forcing them into getting a credit card. this part of the job makes it uncomfortable for both the customers and myself. My scheduling should be based on the fact that I showed up for work whenever I was scheduled, always in dress code, never called out, and that I actually tried and made sales, not how many credit cards I sold. Maybe if the benefits of the card were better then it might be easier to push.

Okay, entertaining and interesting

Current Employee - Merchandise in Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Merchandise in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Team work, bonus if we make our stretch for the month and discounts

Cons

after a certain time I felt unappreciated I work really hard and never get recognized or promoted

Really take the time with your associates there is potential and really enforce team work its a main game changer with everyone working together you can make a lot and get credit cards an make your stretch