Piper Jaffray

Piper Jaffray Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Piper Jaffray Chairman and CEO Andrew S. Duff

Andrew S. Duff

Pros
  • Generally good work life balance for finance(in 4 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule, nice people, meaningful projects(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor management and work-life balance(in 3 reviews)

• Lack of client engagement and accountability on part of senior management(in 4 reviews)

Good first IB internship

M&A Analyst (Former Employee) London, England

ProsLots of responsibility given by the team due to the lack of personnel. Exposure to comps, DCF and IM writing.

ConsLittle deal flow. A lot of the time is spent working on pitches which might never be viewed by the client. Few senior people there are very hungry for deals,

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more senior staff

Solid middle market investment bank experience

Senior Equity Research Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsNot a cut throat culture, but still pushed enough to achieve necessary tasks/goals. Flexibility

ConsPays a little below the market, though if you are a top performer, you will be well compensated. Working in the NY office makes you feel a little less part of the organization given most of the company's staff is in MN

Advice to Senior ManagementMore management leaders based in NY instead of MN

Effective introduction to the world of Investment Banking

Global Middle Office Intern (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsYou learn so much so fast, great for students with a general interest in Investment Banking. Flexible work schedule, nice people, meaningful projects. Great corporate setting to develop professional skills. Excellent compensation compared to other student work combined with a surprisingly pleasant and helpful office culture help make this company a good choice.

ConsSomewhat stressful environment and communication is difficult at some points, this comes with the job and the industry however. Internship did not include a presentation to upper-mgmt.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet clear start and finish dates.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unless your a big wig making $500k a year you dont exist.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsNice location downtown its right by the bus stops and the walkways.

ConsAll "management" are a joke to work with. "My way or the highway"

Advice to Senior Managementquit!

Some groups are strong, others very weak. If you have no other opportunities for banking, then take what you can get

Investment Banking Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsGreat expense policy
    Will say that the experience was good if compared to small banks. In the middle market space it might be somewhat lacking.

ConsDepending on the group, management is VERY poor and senior bankers terrible
    By management I am referring to heads of the specific groups. Consumer and Healthcare seem to do fine, Tech not so well and culture in satellite offices are a mixed bag. Working in MN seems to be the way to go to advance your career, otherwise things can get pretty tough.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are going to treat junior bankers horribly, At least pay well above street and give excellent deal experience.Granted, there are some solid groups in the bank so it all depends on where you are placed. Certainly only consider Piper if you will be in one of their well regarded groups, otherwise stay clear as you will likely get a heart attack before you hit 25. And won't be able to afford the surgery because their pay is not that great...

Typical MidWestern middle market investment bank-down to earth, humble people who are also smart

Institutional Sales- Fixed Income (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsVery motivated smart people working out of their headquarters in Minneapolis. Generally supportive atmosphere. Work hard, play hard mentality. Great place to learn.

ConsMidwestern focused. Management is all out of Minneapolis, so if you work at a satellite office a lot of travel to and from Minneapolis. Also because most of the bank is run out of Minneapolis satellite offices often feel disconnected from the main headquarters and management is often disconnected from what is actually taking place at the local level.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more facetime with your local offices and get them connected to HQ.

Good, close group of employees.

Desktop Tech Support (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsA lot of good people working here, benefits are good. Company is very good with community involvement and allowing employees to focus on family.

ConsCompany needs to provide more training for tech employees. They fail to properly recognize employees who put in extra time and effort at bonus time. Tech management has too many employees for each manager to properly manage (staffing was cut too thin in 2009).

Good M&A Experience

Investment Banking Associate (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC (US)

ProsStrong execution focus, fun junior professionals, generalist approach allows for junior professionals to work across a number of industries

ConsLimited upward mobility, tough work-life balance, process focus makes competing for new business difficult against some industry banks.

Piper is penny wise and pound foolish

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsThere were definitely some smart people that I had the pleasure of working with, good benefits.

ConsPiper doesn't pay -- they hire losers that can't get jobs at other banks and end up firing them soon after because they aren't a good fit. Those that are smart and competent end up leaving because the bonuses are terrible and they don't get raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest a bit more money in hiring winners.

Company with morals

Investment Banking Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsSupportive environment, great co-workers, competitive salary, generous benefits package.

ConsUpward mobility stagnant for my position.

Worked for Piper Jaffray? Contribute to the Community!