Pitney Bowes

Pitney Bowes Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Pitney Bowes CEO Marc Lautenbach

Marc Lautenbach

Pros
  • This company provides a great work life balance (in 55 reviews)

• Company pays well, good benefits, growth opportunities (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Entrenched senior management in India (in 21 reviews)

• Unfortunately the support system from upper management did not coincide with this message (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent company with great future prospects

Human Resources (Current Employee) London, England

ProsPositive change
    Many internal transfers & promotions
    (Global) development opportunities
    Great people: Colleagues and senior leaders
    Benefits

ConsNo CONs apparent at the moment!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep involving your teams!

Politics more important than innovation, working software or staff morale.

Senior Product Consultant (Current Employee) London, England

ProsWorking from home and flexible working.

ConsSoftware is written to fulfill checklists and whether it actually works or can be made to work in the field is irrelevant. This causes point scoring between departments at the expense of client experience of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe experience of clients of the software is paramount as no amount of sales flashness will undo a bad reputation.

Address interdepartmental bickering and point scoring. Business areas should be working together. This is impacting adversely on staff morale.

Good people, benefits but management need to focus on business instead of politics

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits
    Excellent work/life balance
    Great people

ConsManagement too busy fighting each other rather than fighting for business
    Bureaucratic

Advice to Senior ManagementGet yourselves sorted and concentrate on winning business not winning against your own team

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dodgy sales people trying to rip off their customers

Senior Account Manager (Former Employee) Harlow, England

ProsFree fuel card (although that didn't last and they took it away)
    I met a friend for life there (but most other people will screw you over as soon as you turn your back)

ConsWorst manager I have ever worked for.
    Ridiculously over priced products.
    No career opportunities
    Cut throat management
    Change your area so often you can not build up any good relationships with anyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the dead wood. Get the execs to go out and live on the front line. They need to go out on a day to day basis not just for one day where a rep takes them to all there happy customers.

New CEO renewing leadership and company, but some way still to go

ProsGreat Products
    Some great teams/managers
    New top leadership transforming the previous "sack & contract" strategy
    More open and less political culture starting to establish

ConsStill a lot of ingrained attitudes and inflexible processes/systems
    Needs to turn around quickly, before all the good people leave
    Decreasing opportunity outside of the US, centralising leadership there

Advice to Senior ManagementShine a light on the mid management, root out the old attitudes and command & control approach

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Set in their old ways but attempting to make a change

ProsFlexible and great team. Exciting projects in the pipeline

ConsLack of future direction. Still very much a sales and revenue driven business.

Struggling to find it's identity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England

ProsSome great and tallented technical staff in the CDLI function
    Had some great products such as the MapInfo brand

ConsSeveral acquisitions and merges diluted the skills, knowledge and communication whilst increasing the number of products to hundreds!
    Some enormous egos and professional managers climbing the corporate ladder without adding value.
    Loosing key technical staff regularly.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps you should have stuck to franking machines....

Dinosaur of a company stuck 20 years in the past

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Watford, East of England, England

ProsGreat range of platform experience, mainly thanks to acquisitions. Benefits are good

Cons- Everyone is a commodity, showing any sort of want to improve things is met with managers disapproval. Politics is more important then technical improvements.
    - Senior management have no idea about technology. They trow around terminology in meetings that they have little to zero understand of in an vain attempt to sound like they know what their doing / feel important
    - Complete misunderstanding of what's needed for the engineers, instead people sit in meeting and complain about irrelevant data rather then concentrating on making good products which sell to customers

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the chaff, there a huge number of under performing not needed managers in the company. Employ the best and brightest engineers and trust their judgement on technical issues, rather then listening and ignore them. Get rid of products which don't sell and concentrate on software customers want and need

Cliquey and little job security

Information Technology (Former Employee) Harlow, England

ProsFor me, close to home

ConsThe company likes to restructure on a particularly regular basis. This leads to a constant fear that your role may be removed. Unfortunately for some (not myself), this was the case.

The company is extremely cliquey and ONLY people within the clique will succeed, regardless of talent.

Low pay...qith pay rises of abou 1% to 3% (and this is when the company was doing well)

Antequated technology in a changing world.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook beyond the cliquey group.
    Restructuring is self defeating when it's annual!

A lumbering dinosaur of a company.

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) London, England

ProsA good potential for earning well above your basic salary and they have some really great people to work with.

Some very good products and training.

ConsDuring my 10+ years with the DMT department of this company they went from viewing their technical staff as an important part of their business to being a necessary evil. The benefits for an Engineer working for Pitney Bowes used to be above average but have been gradually eroded away over the years to the point where I wonder why anyone with any talent would want to stay working there.

As I said in the pro's section, there is potential to earn good money at PB, the basic wages are below average but you are expected to work a lot of overtime and out-of-hours standby which can boost your income hugely. Unfortunately you don't have a lot of choice in the matter, long hours are expected and PB cares little for your health and work-life balance. Sure, you can go to management and HR with any issues regarding this if you want to go to the top of the list for the next round of redundancies.

Very poor communication between departments makes even the most basic task a challenge within PB. HR, payroll and fleet are notoriously bad for this, Simple tasks such as and trying to reclaim expenses or making even basic enquiries are a nightmare.
    The company is going through a lot of restructuring at the moment, hopefully this will clear the way for some much needed modernisation.

Pitney Bowes DMT have a very good product line but have all but ceased development now. The paper mail sector is slowly dying and worryingly PB don't seem to be trying to adapt or diversify away from it. If they do have a plan they certainly haven't communicated it to their staff, which makes for a very gloomy, demotivated workforce.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of gutting the company to cut costs to provide shareholder value, pull your heads out of the sand and try to diversify away from the dying mail sector and exploit the talent you have (in a positive way please) to avoid extinction.

Worked for Pitney Bowes? Contribute to the Community!