Pitney Bowes

Pitney Bowes Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Pitney Bowes CEO Marc Lautenbach

Marc Lautenbach

Pros:
  • "The work/life balance is stressed and the ability to telecommute is a bonus"
    in 34 reviews
  • "Company pays well, good benefits, growth opportunities"
    in 34 reviews
Cons:
  • "So Managing Senior management and work will be too difficult in Pitney Bowes Inc"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Upper management has become the biggest micromanaging group ever"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Set in their old ways but attempting to make a change

I have been working at Pitney Bowes

ProsFlexible and great team. Exciting projects in the pipeline

ConsLack of future direction. Still very much a sales and revenue driven business.

Dodgy sales people trying to rip off their customers

Senior Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Pitney Bowes full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFree fuel card (although that didn't last and they took it away)
I met a friend for life there (but most other people will screw you over as soon as you turn your back)

ConsWorst manager I have ever worked for.
Ridiculously over priced products.
No career opportunities
Cut throat management
Change your area so often you can not build up any good relationships with anyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the dead wood. Get the execs to go out and live on the front line. They need to go out on a day to day basis not just for one day where a rep takes them to all there happy customers.

Cliquey and little job security

Information Technology (Former Employee)

I worked at Pitney Bowes full-time

ProsFor me, close to home

ConsThe company likes to restructure on a particularly regular basis. This leads to a constant fear that your role may be removed. Unfortunately for some (not myself), this was the case.

The company is extremely cliquey and ONLY people within the clique will succeed, regardless of talent.

Low pay...qith pay rises of abou 1% to 3% (and this is when the company was doing well)

Antequated technology in a changing world.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook beyond the cliquey group.
Restructuring is self defeating when it's annual!

A lumbering dinosaur of a company.

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at Pitney Bowes full-time for more than 10 years

ProsA good potential for earning well above your basic salary and they have some really great people to work with.

Some very good products and training.

ConsDuring my 10+ years with the DMT department of this company they went from viewing their technical staff as an important part of their business to being a necessary evil. The benefits for an Engineer working for Pitney Bowes used to be above average but have been gradually eroded away over the years to the point where I wonder why anyone with any talent would want to stay working there.

As I said in the pro's section, there is potential to earn good money at PB, the basic wages are below average but you are expected to work a lot of overtime and out-of-hours standby which can boost your income hugely. Unfortunately you don't have a lot of choice in the matter, long hours are expected and PB cares little for your health and work-life balance. Sure, you can go to management and HR with any issues regarding this if you want to go to the top of the list for the next round of redundancies.

Very poor communication between departments makes even the most basic task a challenge within PB. HR, payroll and fleet are notoriously bad for this, Simple tasks such as and trying to reclaim expenses or making even basic enquiries are a nightmare.
The company is going through a lot of restructuring at the moment, hopefully this will clear the way for some much needed modernisation.

Pitney Bowes DMT have a very good product line but have all but ceased development now. The paper mail sector is slowly dying and worryingly PB don't seem to be trying to adapt or diversify away from it. If they do have a plan they certainly haven't communicated it to their staff, which makes for a very gloomy, demotivated workforce.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of gutting the company to cut costs to provide shareholder value, pull your heads out of the sand and try to diversify away from the dying mail sector and exploit the talent you have (in a positive way please) to avoid extinction.

user replacement, winning new business, cross selling existing customers

SenIor Sales Consult (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pitney Bowes

ProsFuture employees and agencies think it looks good on your cv. Sales training has a good reputation. A few inspiring people to work around and look upto.

ConsMicro managed. Due to the number people in the sales force you are just a number with a target if you hit that number nothing else matters. You have to fit their template and perform to the key metrics design to drive activity. In reality it drives quantity more than quality.

Back office outsourced so that useful person who used to help fix things and be really helpful in meeting customer expectations has been replaced with an email address which is serived by someone in India.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany needs to have more direction. We seem to be a jack of all trade and master of none (other than franking machine). Although we are diversifying the sales force are not specialist enough in anything to be good at it.

On one hand you want higher value solution sales but on the other regular run rate small orders.

With back office services being outsourced it makes sales fight a losing battle against people who quite rightfully think our customer service is no good.

Service. A dead-end road.

I have been working at Pitney Bowes

ProsBig corporation with resources available (when justified). Work/Home balance good. UK management open and approachable.

ConsBelow average compensation. Poor benefits. Car allowance very much lower than industry average. I

Clueless sales force cannot adapt to technology, are just 'box sellers'.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just talk the talk about solutions and innovation... actually do it.

If you're good at Pitney Bowes you would not complain! If you want to earn £100k+ come and join in!!

Senior Sales Consultant (Current Employee)
Redhill, South East England, England

I have been working at Pitney Bowes

ProsPitney Bowes is the best place to work as it rewards you beyond your wildest expectations. You can pay for big things in your life with just one months salary e.g. wedding, buying a house. It is a place where you can clear your debt very quickly. You need to have drive, ambition, enthusiasm and charisma. If you don't want the money don't work here! It rewards you when you exceed and throw more at you if you over exceed. Other than the money, the career development is amazing, if you want to progress you can, everyone that joined when I joined has progressed, as have I. The training is phenominal and worldly renowned. Any employer is likely to take you after you have worked at Pitney Bowes due to the training. People on here that have given negative opinions of working here probably aren't very good. I don't see the top sales person on here complaining about his £180k salary...

ConsJeeeeess.... Technology!!! It's like they think I know I'll try this!! Completely balls it up and then have to re-think, wasting thousands of pounds. It's so irritating. We need a database like Salesforce.com, it would resolve every problem. But they need to trial it properly, if anyone is reading this that sells salesforce.com please dear god sell it to them.

The Redhill, Surrey office is shocking, they gave everyone a laptop and hadn't thought about the infrastructure down there, so everyone has to scrabble around looking for power points and network sockets, it's a complete joke!!! It needs a complete refurbish!!

Marketing!! When they decide to give us our new accounts previously, they would not print them in post code order, it took each individual sales person 1-2 days to sort their cards out! Bearing in mind on average each team should be doing £10k per day! We wasted at least £100k by this small oversight!!!

Although there are negatives, a lot has been changed and is already causing an incredible benefit to us.. SO I hope to see more!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease guys! You are very likely to lose your best sales people if you don't invest a little more on the technology and offices! Alright the money is amazing, but just think how much better we would be!! These Electronic User Cards AREN'T working!!!! HELP!!!

Stuart Bonthrone is an incredibble leader and has just changed to VP of European Marketing and Global Financial Solutions.

Current MD is Patrick Jelly, who again is an amazing leader, incredibly down to earth and happy to come out with sales guys. I look forward to being led by this guy!

Senior Sales Rep

Senior Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Pitney Bowes full-time for more than 8 years

Prosgreat work life balance and rewards/recognition program. Also PB has a wonderful training platform.

ConsUnrealistic quotas with some of the senior level sales positions and base salaries need to be increased.

Advice to Senior ManagementI guess increased transparency from senior management in regards to company trajectory.

Good company

Sales Executive (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Pitney Bowes for more than a year

ProsGood company to work for, if you are in the right position

ConsPitney is going through a reorg, which it needed to do. The impact to employees is tough.

picking /packer an sorting

Picking/Packer/Sorting (Current Employee)
Hayward, CA (US)

I have been working at Pitney Bowes full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI like work an different jobst

Consnot enough benefit for workers

Advice to Senior Managementmotive the workers

Flag Review

Pitney Bowes Talent Acquisition Strategy Specialist responded to this review

Apr 14, 2014

Wow! You have been with us for over 10 years? Congratulations. Connect with "Ptiney Bowes Careers" on Facebook and let us know what motivates you!

Worked for Pitney Bowes? Contribute to the Community!

Pitney Bowes Videos

Pitney Bowes – Why Work for Us?

Connect to your passion. How do you connect? At Pitney Bowes, we believe personal connections are everything—to our employees, to our customers, to our customers' customers. That’s why we're focused on leading a… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pitney Bowes reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Pitney Bowes CEO Marc Lautenbach. All 409 reviews are posted anonymously by Pitney Bowes employees.