Plains All American Pipeline

Updated 2 March 2015
3.8

Plains All American Pipeline Chairman and CEO Greg L. Armstrong
Greg L. Armstrong

This is a great company to work for! Some of the best people around are running this company.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant V in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant V in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Plains All American Pipeline

Pros

The benefits are great. It's like working for a family company but it's a huge company - they just care.

Cons

Communication was lacking within the department that I am we are still working on this but it has gotten so much better! I cannot speak for other departments.

Thanks for making it a great place to work!

Good company overall

Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Plains All American Pipeline full-time (less than a year)

Pros

If I could give 3.5/5 star rating I would, but I can't so I rounded up

The Good:

Great Health Care Benefits-The most affordable and best I have had in Houston
    6% 401k Match
    Generous time off policies-Vacation and Sick Time
    Nice offices in Houston
    Good Bonuses
    Competitive Salaries
    Little Micromanagement
    Good work life 1/2 Fridays
    Always a lot to do-Stay Busy
    Senior Managment seems very good to keep company going

Cons

The Could be Better:

Seems like a dead end job-little growth outside your current role
    Kind of top heavy-lots of Directors and VP's
    Deficient in training-Asked to go to relevent industry training and was ignored
    Managers kind of leave you in the dark in my department
    Not really a small company anymore and still making small company mistakes with policies and workload
    Always a lot to do-A lot of catching up
    Office culture is kind of just blah-Don't really feel like a team, just a bunch of individuals coming together when stuff comes up, but they don't push stuff like United Way or other crap like that so I will give them kudos for that. -So really a neutral.
    Always a lot to do
    No pension-but they do have a LTIP so this is really a neutral

Make personal growth and job growth a part of your employee retention plan, and thank you for giving us good health care benefits and not charging an arm and a leg. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Safety Specialist

Current Contractor - Safety Specialist in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Contractor - Safety Specialist in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Plains All American Pipeline as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

great pay but that's about it and they pay for your parking, people in the training department and hr are nice but that's about it

Cons

uncomfortable environment, they do not respect your education , under developed management ,

hire managers according to longevity experience and expertise.If your the right color skin then your in. If you are black woman that is educated the will be prejudice towards you. You have people that have been working there for longer periods of time that he supervisor and that same supervisor is still asking questions and seeking guidance from those who have been there longer. Them they treat the temps like disposable garbage esp if you are black. its very clear what matters in this company and its if you have the right color skin you win.

Stay away from Schaefferstown, PA

Former Employee - Facility Supervisor in Schaefferstown, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Facility Supervisor in Schaefferstown, PA (US)

I worked at Plains All American Pipeline

Pros

Corporate is in Calgary. Many good people trying to improve infrastructure and assist employees in the field.

Cons

Worked in the LPG division in Schaefferstown, PA. District office was located there. Poor leadership at the District Office. All employees are unqualified for there positions and add no value to personnel in the field. More important to hire unqualified friends with the same religious background than to hire qualified employees. Shallow, petty, and vindictive leadership.

Make a leadership change at the Schaefferstown District Office. Senior management needs to realize they are getting very little value from this group.

Great company to work for, lots of opportunities to advance in the right division / district.

I have been working at Plains All American Pipeline full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent salary, great health insurance, great benefits, bonus' are good as well.

Cons

The workload can be demanding at times, constant struggle to balance work / home life.

Training!

Great people. Lots of freedom

I worked at Plains All American Pipeline

Pros

Freedom to change things and make them better. All ideas were on the table and never turned down without looking into them.

Cons

Some of the corporate policies were flawed. As with any large company, the personal touches were missing and you turned into a number and not a name.

Great company, poor local management.

Current Employee - Compliance
    Current Employee - Compliance

I have been working at Plains All American Pipeline full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, mobility, work environment, co-workers

Cons

Unqualified management, low pay considering the revenues

You are a victim of the Peter Principle.

pay below industry standard, Poor Management and supervisors, Floating 40 Schedule, No OT cant plan anything

Current Employee - Terminal Operator
    Current Employee - Terminal Operator

I have been working at Plains All American Pipeline full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Its A job They are big on Safety

Cons

have to keep to a floating 40 schedule might work 2 hrs might work 10 just have to keep your weekly time to 40 hrs adjust for the company not adjust for you

Need to make sure all districts are working the same different places do different things the is no structure throughout the company make sure everybody follow the same policy also they want you to following company policies but management doesn't follow company polocies that pertain to the employee if it doesn't benefit them as managers.

Great working environment and culture

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Plains All American Pipeline as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

People at Plains really treat each other like family. They maintain a great work/life balance, love what the do, and excel at what they do. Plains is a midstream company and operates on a toll-booth style of pay, so they continue to be profitable in economic dips.

Cons

Travel locations within Plains aren't the most glamorous. Mostly middle-of-nowhere type locations. Main office is downtown so traffic can be a pain.

Continue to invest in the company culture and maintain that family feeling.

Plains All American Pipeline Photos