Plum District

www.plumdistrict.com

Plum District Reviews

Updated Jun 23, 2014
Plum District – US – “Plum District Lobby”

Susan Kim

An educational endeavor with an exciting startup focused on marketing to and hiring local women

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBeing a startup, all marketing ideas and incentive packages for my local area were considered and given a voice to management. It was fun to try these new ideas and have an immediate response in the local community given the e-platform Plum had designed. It also was a great way to get to know locally owned businesses and help them increase their presence in the Houston market.

ConsAs with many start ups, there were changes in management every month. This made driving certain initiatives at the local level challenging.

Advice to Senior ManagementDue to the constant changes in upper management, there was a strong disconnect between those designing the platform and those on the streets making the sales. It was often difficult to move a marketing initiative forward locally before corporate funds were allotted elsewhere and the project canceled.

Had All the Potential in the World

Sales (Former Employee)

ProsMost of the people you will work with are AMAZING! I truly developed incredible relationships inside and outside of the office.

ConsThings are constantly changing. It's a startup that has been funded by a board of investors. The company has not had a break even month to my knowledge and so the board continues to dictate changes to compensation, benefits and more in an effort to cut their costs so that eventually they will at least be able to not lose money. However, that can be quite detrimental to the existing staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your staff as if they are your teammates in achieving profitability and reward them for the hard work they are putting into getting you there. Just a simple "You're doing great!" or "Thanks for working so hard" can go a long way!

Drive but No Respect

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsManagement was unresponsive and difficult to deal with
    Slow to settle accounts
    Disorganized with poor communication skills
    Unreasonable expectations and requests

ConsThe company as a whole has a lot of drive and a will to succeed. Employees are hard working and dedicated to the cause.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow respect to the people who work with and for you

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Start, learned alot

ProsThis was a job where I learned and did so much. There was never a moment when I was bored. A lot of room for growth if you work for it. Great people also.

ConsPoor leadership in the beginning

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more key players to keep growing

Old leadership was awful. I hope the new leadership can turn it around.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsFun people, cool office, catered lunches, most people are smart

ConsThe daily deal industry is tanking, so it makes no sense to join a company in that space. People are lied to and held in the dark. Leadership is very secretive.

Advice to Senior ManagementAgain, I worked under the old CEO and leadership team, but it was not a well run company. I hear the new CEO is better but it's still a dying industry. I would avoid it.

Mom's Against Mom's

District Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsHad a wonderful Regional Manager who put together a great team for our district, was enthusiastic and positive. Very fun to work with.

ConsAlmost all districts were closed down without notice, all were fired. Was supposed to be a company of Mom's about Mom's and my wonderful regional was blocked out of the system as we were having our Monday morning meeting the day after Mother's Day!! Seriously

Advice to Senior ManagementBe truthful and treat others as you would like to be treated.

Can make an impact

ProsYou can make a big impact here. I feel like what I do actually matters and that my contributions are recognized. There's enough work to go around that if I see there's a gap or a need, I can be proactive and own it.

ConsThe team is very small and people are feeling overwhelmed. We're definitely making progress in turning around the company, but some additional people to the team would help.

Great Opportunity - Challenging - Never Dull

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsFlexibility - ability to work remotely
    Incredibly intelligent coworkers and management - you can learn a lot just working with them Great opportunities - the people you meet, the companies you work with, the experience you are gaining
    Potential for huge success as a company - as a Kleiner Perkins backed company Plum District is well on its way to being more profitable than many other startups including Groupon and Instagram
    Always new challenges - you will NEVER be bored
    Major improvements in the last six months - New management is experienced and positive. Marketing is being run by some incredible people and you can see the results in a major way

ConsLots of changes. Not always a lot of notice when things are changing. Sometimes repercussions of changes are not thought out well before the changes are implemented.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's important to reward employees according to their performance in order to minimize turnover.

A company that has been reborn with new leadership, vision and enthusiasm without losing its core vision, serving Moms.

Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsWith Susan Kim and Jennifer Nuckles at the helm, Plum District has morphed into a multimedia platform that offers increased marketing, branding and advertising options to our merchant base, while at the same time engaging our subscribers even more successfully. This allows each merchant to have a unique campaign with Plum District and heightens the user experience. Their new vision makes the job of the sales person easier with a variety of tools at their disposal to acquire new business. A salesperson can pitch a unique promotion and usually the management team will give it a whirl, as creativity is encouraged.

ConsRemote employment does not allow for the office camaraderie that an office environment would foster. East Coast has a 3 hour time lag to West Coast, so there is work into the evening hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs Plum begins to grow again, keep the lines of communication open, so that we can be as nimble and flexible as the company is currently. Keep experimenting and trying new ideas.

Sales

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexibility, challenging, working with fabulous, intelligent people. Great Brand.

ConsToo many inconsistencies from executive management.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry harder to keep good, talented employees.

Worked for Plum District? Contribute to the Community!