Polo Ralph Lauren

Polo Ralph Lauren Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Polo Ralph Lauren Chairman and CEO Ralph Lauren

Ralph Lauren

Pros
  • Ralph Lauren has excellent employee benefits and offers a generous employee discount(in 36 reviews)

• Great customers; great product; great discount(in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • work/life balance, people who thrive at RL are people who make retail sales their career instead of a job(in 12 reviews)

• Full time seasonal, as well as part time managerial/supervisor positions are non existent(in 20 reviews)

Fashion College

Director (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsEveryone seems to have worked at Ralph Lauren. It's a great learning ground. There is a lot of process in place that sometimes results in red tape but overall was a great learning experience.

ConsLow salaries. Corporate politics. Red tape. Scarce resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your people do what they do best. Don't micro manage them. Trust them. Once budgets are approved, let people run with it.

Pleasurable but frustrating due to inconsistency with management.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Beverly Hills, CA (US)

ProsNice place to make new friends. People are friendly, for the most part, unless however you have a disagreement with someone who steels your client/sale, then it's up to you to fix your problem because management refuses to get involved. They ask that you resolve sales problems amongst yourself.

Conswork-life balance is horrible. Random days off. Never get a Saturday, it's mandatory to work Saturdays. Forget experiencing what a weekend is. One week you will have a Tuesday and Friday off and the next week you may have Monday and Thursday. After a while you feel like every day is a Monday. It's horrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are no perks. You are forced to purchase their clothing and wear only their brand to work. They do not provide a uniform, you must purchase everything and they force you to wear everything from their store. Management should treat their sales staff with a little more dignity.

Somewhere in the middle of a good and bad company.

Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee)

ProsManagement is friendly, and there is fairly good amount of autonomy among employees while they are doing their jobs.

ConsWages are stagnant, and do not reflect volume of a store.
    There is no real room for advancement if you desire it.
    Full time seasonal, as well as part time managerial/supervisor positions are non existent.
    Time off policy is out of whack.
    Sales goals are often unrealistic, and unattainable.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen when your employees have suggestions, and don't just say that things just have to be done in one specific way.

When complaints are made, don't forget about them. If it is not something you can fix personally, send it up the latter to district, regional, and corporate supervisors etc.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disorganized and Frustrating Place to Work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lyndhurst, NJ (US)

ProsGood work life balance (in certain departments), good employee discount, very casual dress code (jeans, etc.)

ConsCompany is overall very disorganized. Everyone directs you to someone else when you have a question and it's very hard to get any answers. The management in my department is not good at all and I don't feel like I am learning anything. Not a lot of vacation/personal time.

"Some things could be better"

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsIt is a stable company to work for. I have learned and grown a lot since starting working here. Company discounts are very good. There is positive potential for growth.

ConsTime off policy is flawed, not being able to take two weeks of at one time is very difficult for someone who travels internationally for family visits. Yearly pay increases are very low.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees comments and complaints and take action. Be more cooperative when it comes to working with employees needs.

Great company filled with people who have the utmost faith in the brand.

Summer Intern (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsThe people love the brand they're working for which makes for a better work environment. Your supervisors are there for support and want to see you do well. There is room for growth across divisions. They know how to treat their interns well and really want to see you evolve, taking the brand as your own.

ConsDepending on the team, you may get jumped right into project work or day to day assignments. The company uses several software that are not all aligned and navigating some of them can be difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall pretty good program. So much of the program is dedicated to learning about the company and especially your team. Perhaps it would be great to given the chance to meet and network in the beginning of the program as well.

I enjoyed going to work every day.

Sales Professional (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsGreat people, great pay, great discounts and overall a very employee first company.

ConsCustomers could be difficult at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncreased hours would be nice. Not many full-time positions.

Great stable company, great coworkers, great discount.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI had an absolutely surreal experience at Ralph Lauren's office in Greensboro. Coworkers and management are both friendly, warm, and professional. The office itself is pristine, always being updated and renovated to keep up with times, and lends its' employees the opportunity for a productive, happy, safe, work environment. All of the company's safety, health, and benefits policies are current and display the company's care for it's employees.

ConsThe hiring procedures in place at Ralph Lauren are almost sickening. It's all about who you know, who's bum you kiss, and how you promote yourself. I watched coworkers work harder than anyone in their department, hoping to gain a promotion, only to watch the spot be filled by the ridiculously unqualified receptionist with a few friends in HR. The way to gain power in Ralph Lauren is to play the game, not necessarily by working hard. Leadership will treat you well and be friendly toward you, but sometimes it feels fake and forced.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management is to take better notice of your employees. Who is the first person to show up in the morning? Who is the last person to leave the department at night? Appreciate the employees who deserve your appreciation.

Also, pay these hard-working employees better. Stop trying to make money off keeping people on as temps.

Polo Ralph Lauren

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

Prosvery flexible, great ability to move within the company, great people, great product

Conschange their mind on policies frequently

Excellent place to work

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) Orlando, FL (US)

Prosappreciated for your work, flexibility

Consnot the best pay, very little room for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak up the favoritism towards some employees

Worked for Polo Ralph Lauren? Contribute to the Community!