Polo Ralph Lauren

Polo Ralph Lauren Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Polo Ralph Lauren Chairman and CEO Ralph Lauren

Ralph Lauren

Pros
  • Ralph Lauren has excellent employee benefits and offers a generous employee discount(in 36 reviews)

• Great customers; great product; great discount(in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • work/life balance, people who thrive at RL are people who make retail sales their career instead of a job(in 12 reviews)

• Full time seasonal, as well as part time managerial/supervisor positions are non existent(in 20 reviews)

One of the worst place!

Internal Auditor (Former Employee) Lyndhurst, NJ (US)

ProsGood employee discounts, no formal dress code.

ConsThe Internal Audit Department within Ralph Lauren is considered as a "revolving door" for a reason. The turnover of staff and managers is really high. The management do not care about the employees within the department and rather focus on politics to get the work done. All seniors and managers do the same exact work but they are just titled, and paid differently. No money is spent on training. The upper management only cares about their bonuses and lie to their employees if and when a valid concern has been raised. There is very little personal growth to speak about. I will never recommend the Internal Audit Department at RL for employment to anyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees, provide appropriate training and provide them the growth they truly deserve.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Director (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsWorking with Ralph directly. Gaining valuable design experience. Working with great minds and not so great minds......and being able to know the difference. The discounts. The cache.

ConsThe Emperor has no clothes! Sycophants making obscene salaries convincing each other that they all look great even while their AARP benefits are kicking in. Horrible cult of denial and truly wicked people who have been in power from the very beginning.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet new management.

Needs more structured intern learning programs

Polo Ralph Lauren Collection Intern (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsExposure to runway experience and rich inspiration that builds up to a collection as well as some celebrity visits here and there.

ConsNeeds more structure and content for interns to actually be learning something or having some kind of creative input, not just organizing binders and pinning up sketches.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough it was amazing to just have the exposure to design meetings and illustrators and the behind the scenes work of the collection, there weren't any creative work that was required of me and therefore learned nothing much more than just some organizational work...i have a line on my resume and that's about it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Position

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Lebanon, TN (US)

ProsAccess to Benefits even on hourly pay

ConsHigh turnover and demanding managers

Fantastic Corporate Culture and Great, Supportive Management

ProsRL is the best place I've ever worked. Not only are the benefits amazing and the employee perks enviable, the management really cares about their employees. The organization celebrates diversity, charity, and new ideas. I couldn't recommend it more.

ConsIt is very competitive because it's a great place to work and because of the "glamour" of the brand. I had to get in through a third party contracting agency, because the seven or so applications I submitted led to nothing, so it can take a lot of work to get your foot in the door. Worth it, though. Also, during peak season (Christmas), you WILL work seven days a week. But it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who knows retail, and management is right there in the trenches with you, so nobody is asking you to do anything they aren't doing themselves.

Well-regarded brand to work for

Director Marketing (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGood stepping stone to other opportunities; Rich brand heritage

ConsCompensation is below industry average; Very political internal work environment

Retail comes with it's ups and downs.

Sales (Current Employee) Destin, FL (US)

ProsFlexibility with scheduling, my starting pay was $10 per hour with no former experience, a 15 minute break every two hours (super nice when its been a hectic day), and having a wide diversity of coworkers. Also, the company pays for the store to have mini "parties" where they serve drinks and food during big days like Black Friday or July 4th. It also looks nice on a resume.

ConsTraining on the cash register is rough since they don't give you enough time to learn and go over everything, managers each have a different way of doing things, managers verbally attack and talk about other employees and managers, and the constant business of the store when you're working the register. We are also told to get the customers name, address and email at check out, at the end of the month you are given a score on how many you got. It's not fair when more and more customers are refusing to share their information. I've worked there for a year and have not advanced in the store. It's like the managers choose new comers for big jobs instead of using who they already have,

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease keep comments about other employees and workers at the store to yourself. It's disrespectful and it doesn't make anyone respect you either.

Upper Management is Demotivating

Internal Auditor (Current Employee) Lyndhurst, NJ (US)

ProsWork isn't very difficult
    Get to wear casual clothes daily

ConsThe upper management in my department is completely demotivating. They posses the characteristics that are the complete opposite of what makes a good leader. Constantly looking to blame someone when there is a mistake. Everyone above the manager level is extremely awkward and socially inept. Micromanagement. Unwillingless to listen to ideas/suggestions that go against how they think things should be working even if the suggestion can strengthen a control or provide increased efficiency to a project. They are extremely inefficient; would rather sit and speculate for hours on why something is done a certain way when it could just be answered with a quick 10 minute phone call.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you ask your employees "how we can make this a better work environment?" actually mean it! Don't ask just to say you asked and then not listen.

Lots of opportunities for growth.

Prosgreat training, flexible hours, summer Fridays. Lots of opportunity for growth. Best in the fashion industry

ConsUnfortunately, the pay at first is not great. It also takes quite some time for promotion

Excellent for a resume with a High End Retailer but HORRIBLE for company morale, pay/benefits, expectations

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Wilkes-Barre, PA (US)

ProsWonderful coworkers. The name Ralph Lauren is a plus for any resume. Scheduling is very flexible (though never done right..see cons). Discount is 30%, sometimes special discounts online.

ConsPay at this location is the lowest in the area. After several years with the company, still learn I have additional responsibilities or responsibilities I have been performing are not mine. Their interweb system is like using dial-up. Constantly get different assignments for the same project by DM, RM, GM

Advice to Senior ManagementDM, RM & GM need to get on the same page regarding assignments. Raise the salary, someone who has been there 5 years shouldn't be making the same amount as a 16 year old working at Forever 21 a few stores down.

Worked for Polo Ralph Lauren? Contribute to the Community!