PolyOne

Updated 9 December 2014
2.4

PolyOne Chairman, President, and CEO Stephen D. Newlin
Stephen D. Newlin

Go company to work with.

I have been working at PolyOne

Pros

Co worker are nice to work with.

Cons

The pay is not worth my time .

Productive 24/7

Current Employee - Operator in Seabrook, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Operator in Seabrook, TX (US)

I have been working at PolyOne full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, with matching 401k

Cons

Low wages and minimal overtime possibilites

PolyOne has lost over 25% of there top empolyees and they have sued a lot of them for non competes. Very unprofessional

Former Employee - Not A Good Company to Work for -
    Former Employee - Not A Good Company to Work for -

I worked at PolyOne full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Would highly recommend not working for this company - stay away they like to take you to court after you leave

Cons

They have tried taking everyone to court one you try leaving and trying to better your familys life

Stop with the useless lawsuits against empolyees that want leave

Great pay, no regard for people

Current Employee - Product Manager in Avon Lake, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Avon Lake, OH (US)

I have been working at PolyOne full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

High minded goals from CEO - transform from commodity products to specialty solutions
    Good training opportunities (Six Sigma)
    Fantastic pay and bonuses

Cons

Dull product line and tough to move away from nickel & dime commodity polymers
    Management approach to people is toxic - very old school and manipulative. They preach collaboration and innovation, but it is every man for himself. Workforce is a weird mix of beat down old timers, MBA wonderkids, and obnoxious arrogant castoffs from other big polymer companys. Executive management lacks any real vision or ability to motivate. They could accomplish so much if they really figured out how to work collaboratively. They pay ridiculous bonuses every spring and you see a lot of good people who cash in and leave after a few years because it is just too demoralizing to work in that environment.

Need to clean house and encourage some of the 3rd floor execs. to move on and take their old school sales and people management methods into retirement.

Operator

Current Employee - Crew Chief - Operator in Seabrook, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Crew Chief - Operator in Seabrook, TX (US)

I have been working at PolyOne full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

PolyOne is a great place to start your career to gain experience.

Cons

Multitude of schedule changes - lack of a set schedule
    Large turnover which leads to large portion of the work force that lacks experience.

Hold Management Team more accountable when mistakes occur. Don't allow mistakes to be swept under the rug. Corrective actions will prevent similar mistakes from reoccurring.

Contractor

I worked at PolyOne as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay and good benefits

Cons

Good old boys, very old school for this ever changing tech driven world

Does solid compensation overcome high stress and low career options? Yes...for now!

Current Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Avon Lake, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Avon Lake, OH (US)

I have been working at PolyOne full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was initially attracted to PolyOne due to their competitive salary and bonus structure - sales bonuses are earned from individual results, unlike other companies where their bonuses are mostly determined by how well the overall company does. This company puts an especially high emphasis on the role of sales, and there are many opportunities for public recognition. While some of my colleagues have personality conflicts with the senior management running each division, I find that they are very straightforward in their comments. Sometimes it's hard to hear, but it's better than being lied to. If you blame them for wanting to make money, you've come to the wrong company.

Cons

I started off making about 20% more than a few of my colleagues who had been with the company a number of years and had much more experience than I in the plastics business. While I alone now benefit from this (I never shared my true salary with them!), it seems to me that PolyOne treats new people better than those who have been loyal for some time. I've also only seen a handful of times where someone internally got promoted out of an individual contributor role. The reality sees to be, if you're doing good at your job, you're too valuable to lose, and the company is better off hiring management from the outside. This is good for short term stability, but I know it ticks the current employees off.

The work-life balance is average to poor, but that's what's expected when you're focused on short term results. We continually change course, have weekly changes in strategic direction, but at the end of the day, we go after "everything" because nobody wants to say no and be blamed for missing their number. I set my own personal limits, like no emailing on Saturdays, because if you don't set your own boundaries, you'll go nuts. It's worked for the stock price, but I question if this madness is sustainable.

In all companies, there will be people who take credit when things go right, and blame others when the bottom falls out. Expect the same here. Luckily I had a good mentor when I started, and took the time to develop professional relationships with those known for that to minimize my exposure. So far, it's worked.

Overhaul human resources - Do your best to avoid ticking off your workforce by promoting competent people who could be superstars with some coaching. Be clear on expectations, and reward people for their accomplishments. And stop cutting costs to make your numbers look better. Having to drive 7 hours because you didn't want to approve a $400 plane ticket - come on!

Professional top sales environment

Current Employee - Account
    Current Employee - Account

I have been working at PolyOne full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent training in sales, encourage team participation. Compensated fairly with good benefits. You were rewarded for work accomplished, but also penalized for missing targets. A great environment for former GE Plastic employees

Cons

Very competitive internal environment. There is high requirement on forecasting accuracy and detail reporting. Much of this work needed to be done on after hours time and cut into family life.

Lesson learned

Former Employee - Technician in Vonore, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Technician in Vonore, TN (US)

I worked at PolyOne full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Paychecks did not bounce. There are no other pros that can be associated with this company.

Cons

Heavy reliance on the good ole boy system. You will be used as a scape goat as often as the leadership team thinks they can get away with it.

No one in a leadership position at Polyone is capable of improving themselves or the company if it will not directly benifit their financial or political position within their respective clique.

If you need a job it's a paycheck

Former Employee - Product Manager in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at PolyOne (more than 3 years)

Pros

Overall the pay is good

Cons

Culture is crazy, no one wants to do what's right based on ethics

Listen to your front line employees