Principal Financial Group

www.principal.com

Principal Financial Group Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Principal Financial Group Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer Larry D. Zimpleman

Larry D. Zimpleman

Pros
  • work life balance, collaborative work culture, approachable leadership, good salaries (in 38 reviews)

• Great benefits, which is nice because salaries are less than annual averages (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Parking is a little ways away since we're located in downtown Des Moines (in 11 reviews)

• could make work environment more appealing such as offering ergonomic options to offices and desks (although this is currently in progress) (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Slow start, but overall good experience

Technical Analyst (Current Employee) Des Moines, IA (US)

ProsThe culture, is by far the best thing about principal. Everyone there is intelligent and good at their job. I don't think I met a single person who I would not be friends with out side of work. In addition to that, the work is challenging and engaging. They really are committed to interns building a career with the company.

ConsIt took me 5 weeks to get my work space set up. Under normal circumstances, that would have been fine, but I was only there for 12 weeks so it was a large portion of my time.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove workspace set up

Very tech driven

Intern - Hourly (Current Employee) Des Moines, IA (US)

ProsAs an IT Intern I got to work on real projects in many different fields. They also held an intern Code Jam (similar to a hackathon) where teams of interns competed to create the best web app. Overall great learning experience

ConsFor interns, it is difficult to get time to view other business units/positions. This would be helpful for young professionals who is not sure what they would like to do for a full time position.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work but keep in mind after College it can be difficult to know exactly what career path an individual would like.

Great group of people in the Nashville office

Financial Advisor (Current Employee) Nashville, TN (US)

ProsThe manager is hands on and a true mentor

Consdealing with big company politics

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The best job I ever had.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey have a great culture, good benefits and treat their employees really well. Top notch HR department. Worldwide opportunities.

ConsLarge company, so not much contact with top management.

Great organisation and Amazing People

Assistant Vice President (Former Employee) Pune (India)

ProsSeasoned organisation & employee centric. Gives opportunities to employees to experiment and be creative with enough liberity.

ConsTraditional Thinking especially on Technology advancement, Adoption of newer business ideas yet focused on doing whats best known to the company over the last 100+ years

Principal Financial Group was a great place to work for,

Claim Processor (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

ProsOur office manager was very nice and very knowledgeable.

ConsHaving production goals increase every time you were able to meet them was a bit stressful.

Great learning experience and great people!

ProsCasual wear, great PTO!, good benefits, most departments adhere to a flexible work policy.

ConsSome departments remain very conservative, which is challenging when the rest of the company is so progressive!

Strong work life balance.

Intern (Current Employee) Des Moines, IA (US)

ProsFlexed hours. New workspace. Good compensation.

ConsDisconnected hr from other departments.

One of my best work experiences in my career.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

ProsThis is a great company to work for! The compensation package is very good.

ConsI can't find any cons on this company.

Principal is a good place to work.

Programmer (Current Employee) Des Moines, IA (US)

ProsThe pay is good, the benefits are great, the work place is nice and comfortable. They are in the process of renovating buildings so the environment is great.

ConsThe managers in the department that I work in are kept very busy and they can be difficult to find when you need them because of frequent meetings.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing

Worked for Principal Financial Group? Contribute to the Community!