Principal Financial Group

Principal Financial Group Reviews

Updated 29 January 2015
Updated 29 January 2015
3.9

Principal Financial Group Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer Larry D. Zimpleman
Larry D. Zimpleman

Pros
  • The pay and benefits are very good, with an excellent work-life balance to boot (in 43 reviews)

• Great benefits, which is nice because salaries are less than annual averages (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Parking is a little ways away since we're located in downtown Des Moines (in 12 reviews)

• Salary is on the high side of mediocre, other companies will pay more but Principal tries to make up for it with a flexible work environment (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Work life balance and fun

Former Employee - Associate Consultant
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant

I worked at Principal Financial Group

Pros

1) Nice package atleast 3 years back they were offering irresistable package for 2-5 yrs exp people.Heard that has been changed now.
    2) Great work life balance as very less work pressure
    3) Lots of fun activities, interest groups.Strongly suggest to participate as its the only thing brings you to focus
    4)First in last out to compute your daily hours policy.Trust me you are gonna love this in company like this specially when its near to amanora, seasons
    5)This should top the list-Free cab facility within 50 km range
    6) Relaxed exit process

Cons

1)can you spend 8 hours without doing anything meaningful day by day?No right?

2)I was lucky to be under a cool manger but most of them are not

3)If you wanna learn google is open there so search and learn .Work is not going to teach you anything meaningful

4)Award is a joke there.Its there to demotivate the smart people and to encourages the eye candy of the managers

5)No onsite but you would be made aware of that at the time of joining

6) Hike is very very less and the vp is almost 15% of your package so to get that you have to KA(decode that)

7)There is merginal difference in developers and testers salary

8) You will have a very bad time if you are not good in singing dancing because 10% your VP is there to perform in annual function

So you want to join this company ask yourself

-Are you married and less ambitious ?
    -Is IT job is your side income and you have a primary business?
    -You just have 2-3 yrs of exp and looking for a cool 1-2 yrs doing nothing but fun.

I am not being sarcastic here ,all of us have different priorities.

Please try to bring the quality work as now you have sufficient faith from the onshore

IT interns are treated well.

Former Employee - IT Infrastructure Intern in Des Moines, IA (US)
    Former Employee - IT Infrastructure Intern in Des Moines, IA (US)

I worked at Principal Financial Group as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Employees at Principal treat the interns like coworkers and not just observers. You are given real work and get to see a great workplace culture.

Cons

It does take a while to get used to the acronyms and campus. There were days when there was no work for me to do.

A Great Company

Former Employee - Medical Claims Examiner in Columbus, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Medical Claims Examiner in Columbus, OH (US)

I worked at Principal Financial Group

Pros

PFG provided excellent training from day one, until the day I left. I always felt like I was being treated like a professional. The benefits were excellent, and there were frequent reviews of our performance. I also believed that the company was reputable, and treated their clients with respect too.

Cons

As far as the company is concerned, there weren't really any cons. I didn't happen to like what I did, but that was not the company's fault.

Proud to be associated with Principal

I have been working at Principal Financial Group

Pros

Good company, strong values, concern for clients & employees

Cons

Some occasional mixed messages come from senior management as the company tries to serve a variety of constituencies

Marketing Communications

Former Employee - Communications Strategist in Des Moines, IA (US)
    Former Employee - Communications Strategist in Des Moines, IA (US)

I worked at Principal Financial Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule for most, on-site cafeteria, connected to skywalks, daycare provided

Cons

I was with the company for 10 years in marketing/communications. I had 10 different bosses in those years, due to shifting and restructuring. Some bosses were great; others were not. When I got back from maternity leave, I was treated like I had a bad disease - no more working from home, my responsibilities got cut and I had to be in my chair by X time, even though I was salaried and had excellent reviews before. It got so bad, I had to go on meds, and then I just had to leave. So it all depends on who you work for.

Train your middle managers on how to be leaders.

Its selling Life Insurance

Former Employee - Sales in Montgomery, AL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales in Montgomery, AL (US)

I worked at Principal Financial Group

Pros

Lots of freedom to be creative. You can market your products to anyone. There is a possibility to make good money if you know enough of the right people

Cons

Very little direction in the way to find the right people to market to. You are told its a numbers game and to contact 100 people a week

Give formal direction to new hires. Be specific and help them create a workable realistic plan. Calling 100 people from the phone book will never work

Great people! Greedy Management

Current Employee - IT Systems Analyst
    Current Employee - IT Systems Analyst

I have been working at Principal Financial Group

Pros

Good people throughout the company. Middle management tries to take care of employees but to senior management, it is all about the bottom line.

Cons

Typical publicly traded company. The executive team only cares about shareholders. They can't figure out how to manage. They hire like crazy one year then lay people of the next.

Get your act together. Figure out how many employees you really need so you are not constantly hiring and then reducing the work force.

Retirement Specialist

I have been working at Principal Financial Group

Pros

Company pays for Series 6 license and training materials. Learn phone and customer service skills. Huge company with many avenues for professional movement.

Cons

Entry level position. Call center environment.

I enjoyed working for this company.

I worked at Principal Financial Group

Pros

Coworkers were the best and the reasom why I stayed for so long. They were like family. Benefits were good and office location was ideal.

Cons

Advancement limited unless you were willing to transfer. Negative changes occurred after company went public.

Principal Financial Group Photos