Progressive Business Publications
www.pbp.com Malvern, PA 500 to 999 Employees

Progressive Business Publications Reviews

Updated Apr 08, 2014

Ed Satell

Neutral opinion, whats good is great but low pay

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Howland Corners, OH (US)

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications part-time for less than a year

ProsAwesome schedule, will work with anything you have going on: school, kids, appointments and the like. All members of management are approachable... a TRUE open door policy.

ConsVery high turn over, I am fearful if this is the day I will be let go, every day i go in. I am into my fifth week and have seen more than 10 people let go, and even more than that just stop showing up within their first and second week. Sales is difficult and not for everybody. Pay is min wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more time to coach your reps.

Horrible

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Bensalem, PA (US)

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time for less than a year

ProsNone come to mind, none.

ConsBeing talked to like your a special needs child just because you can't get small businesses to agree to a free trial of their horrible newsletters.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop drinking the Kool-Aid

Sad place to work

I worked at Progressive Business Publications

ProsPros? If you still have a job.

ConsThe owner is trashing this company to keep feeding the black hole that is supposed to "his legacy." This includes senseless cost-cutting and ill-informed decision-making. It's almost funny because the owner has his mantra: "There are no good companies, just good people" -- and then proceeded to lay off several good people due to their salaries, and retained less-skilled people because they are cheaper. In the meantime, the few remaining senior people are being crushed under the workload. But they see how the laid-off people have fared (terribly), so they're willing to tolerate the abuse. It's a sad, bad situation. And it's a shame to watch a company that was so energetically and ideally built eat itself from within, on the whims of one man.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe emperor has no clothes.

You Get What You Give

Branch Manager (Current Employee)
Malvern, PA (US)

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSchedule, Holidays Off, Performance-Based Pay, Growth/Development Potential, very little politics.

ConsEquipment/Technology needs updated. Some physical work-space/office updates (cosmetic) also could be helpful.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep The Management By Servitude Philosophy in mind, Throughout the entire organization, at all levels.

Business to Business telemarketing

I worked at Progressive Business Publications

ProsSome of the people you talked to were great

ConsA lot of the people you worked with, were not professional at all

Advice to Senior ManagementScreen applicants better

Good Experience

Branch Manager (Former Employee)
Williamsport, PA (US)

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat management training program. Opportunities are there for those who want it.

ConsSome of the upper level managers are shortsighted.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open about the direction of the company and the long-term strategy.

Taught myself how to recognize the different types of people, for better sales tactics.

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Bensalem, PA (US)

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time for less than a year

ProsThe upbeat personalities of my coworkers helped me to open up and learn better people skills.

ConsCalling people who do not want to be called and bothered, instead of using a referral system. Bothering small and large companies during their work times and not later in the day.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training programs, mock sales. Meetings based on the cycles we are in now and not the future ones. To do referrals and not random call tactics.

The reviews that sound too good to be true -- ARE too too good to be true

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time for more than 5 years

ProsManagement couldn't care less what employees do day-to-day, so feel free to come in for only a few hours a day, "work" from home, and wear your pajamas into the office. No one will notice or care.

ConsRevenue has dropped to a fraction of what it was just a few years ago, and upper management is desperately trying to find ANYTHING that will make a few bucks. Whether it's legal or ethical is not part of their concern.

In my time there, I uncovered cases of plagiarism and was aware of several cases of sexual harassment -- none of which upper management was willing to deal with. Instead, they got rid of the "complainers" rather than address the illegal activities their own employees were engaging in.

They're shutting down products left and right which led to multiple layoffs and/or not
hiring replacements for the MANY people who have left in the past two years.

A job here is probably better than the unemployment office -- but not by much. Staying here too long will destroy your career -- and your soul.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop having the owner's son write the glowing reviews on this and similar sites. They're so obvious, it's laughable.

Decent place for entry-level, not much more

I worked at Progressive Business Publications

ProsProfitable company, privately held, not dependent on satisfying shareholders.

ConsLow pay, very flat structure.

great place for writers

Malvern, PA (US)

ProsI can't think of a more exciting challenge for a writer than to work at Progressive Business Publications. You learn to write for extremely busy business professionals who don't have time and who by nature don't want to read. Business-to-business writing is different from any other kind of writing I've ever been exposed to -- and I think I've seen most of it in a 50-year writing and editing career. It's a tough craft to learn, but then again, it's like they say -- nothing easy in probably worth having.

Progressive Business Professionals serves business professionals with critical information for their jobs from Presidents and CEOs to administrative assistants and every other job function in between -- HR, Payroll, Sales, Safety and Environmental compliance management and others. Each audience has its own unique needs. Our writers are trained how to talk to these business professionals and then serve them by selecting the right information just for them from a variety of sources. We got a lot of satisfaction when we hear people tell us we've really helped them become more effective in their jobs. I never felt I had such a direct relationship with my audience when I used to work in general media like newspapers. It's challenging, but it's exhilarating at the same time!

Constraffic on US202 (construction seems to be everlasting) can be bad for the commute

Advice to Senior Managementthink about work-life balance

Worked for Progressive Business Publications? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Progressive Business Publications reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Progressive Business Publications CEO Ed Satell. All 42 reviews are posted anonymously by Progressive Business Publications employees.