Progressive Business Publications

Updated 30 July 2014
Updated 30 July 2014

4.3

Ed Satell

Pros
  • Casual work environment, realistic bosses usually willing to help out (in 11 reviews)

• Strong record of giving back to the community (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Vacation time, no natural light, company culture could be improved because the company seems silo'd at times between different business units (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management should be given an office (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Fair opportunity to prove value and provide meaningful contribution

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time

Pros

There is a sufficient opportunity provided for professional growth, there are impressive philanthropic efforts, and there is an effective use of performance metrics.

Cons

The benefits package is sub-par. There is not a designated individual to handle human resources-related questions and particularly questions related to health benefits coverage. This is a major shortcoming.

Designate an assigned individual to communicate with employees regarding human resources issues and benefits-related issues.

rewarding

Former Employee - Sales Representative/Branch Manager  in  Reading, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative/Branch Manager in Reading, PA (US)

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

flexible schedule, great people, great pay

Cons

Frustrated at sales standards, the average person cannot excel, company does not cancel subscriptions accurately

lower standards of sales for employees, rent better ventilated office space

Fun! Fun! Fun!

Current Employee - Manager  in  Boardman, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Boardman, OH (US)

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Relaxed work environment. Excellent opportunities for advancement with the company. Great choice for people that have other obligations (single parents, two jobs, etc). Write your own paycheck!

Cons

It is a performance type position. It may not be the job for everyone. Sometimes people have to leave because they are over qualified and have to take a position making more money.

Continue constant growth through training and development of every employee. Offer incentives to employees in the form of benefits (410K, profit sharing, etc.).

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A positive environment.

Current Employee - Sales Consultant  in  Meadville, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Meadville, PA (US)

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications part-time for less than a year

Pros

Its a very friendly atmosphere. There's always plenty of encouragement from Jen and the rest of the management team.
    Plenty of room for growth!

Cons

i wish that the base salary was higher, though i understand that we get bonuses for good performance.

so nice that the hours are flexible to accommodate life happenings such as appointments, and personal needs to be out early or a day off

Structure, growth and flexibility.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Pottsville, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Pottsville, PA (US)

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I love the hours. No evenings or weekends. The fact that I am able to grow with the company. They promote from within. The training program is outstanding. A great atmosphere! A very supportive culture. The company knows how important we are. I enjoy coming to work every day. Not many can say that.

Cons

I have never run into any cons that cause me to re evaluate my position here.

Management has done an outstanding job with everything.

Fun experiences to be had. Nice people great enviroment

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule. No nights no weekends yeaaaa. Competitive environment. Nice people to work for. Always willing to help.

Cons

Definitely have to sit still and focus. Be goal oriented. Willing to handle rejection

Keep doing what you are doing, encouraging people to grow with the company.

Awesome work culture! This company really supports both personal and professional development.

Current Employee - Morning Manager  in  Williamsport, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Morning Manager in Williamsport, PA (US)

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

In addition to the flexible work schedule, competitive pay, and opportunities for advancement- PBP's core values facilitate an environment I'm proud to be a part of.

Cons

Because of the flexibility of the work schedule you have to be self managed. For some, this can different and challenging from what they are used to.

Keep up the good work!

Summer Internship Experience

Current Employee - Data Analytics Intern  in  Malvern, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Data Analytics Intern in Malvern, PA (US)

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Although I have only been with Progressive Business Publications for a short time, I can see many positive things about the company. They have a wealth of employees that create a substantial amount of high quality content for their products. They offer a laid back work environment with a lax business casual dress code. The company is focused on giving back to the community and has a strong sense of corporate social responsibility.

Cons

The Progressive Business Publication brand has been tarnished through an outdated sales process. Even through all of the good things the company does, when you speak to others about who you work for there is typically a negative connotation to the conversation.

Continue to explore other areas of business to enter into by actively engaging your customers.

Casual work environment where you are judged on your performance.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Malvern, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA (US)

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible work environment where you are judged on your performance. The company understands that employees have the tools and are willing to work from home (nights, weekends if necessary) to have this flexibility. Upper Management is fair with setting goals and gives you the freedom to achieve those goals without micro managing as long as you have a sound plan in place. Progressive is making huge strides in improving IT and reporting capabilities, which should give the business units better tools to become more efficient and grow revenue.

Another big part of working at PBP is being part of their charitable foundation. The company supports the idea of giving back and is truly committed to the principal.

Lastly, working for the company has many perks, from sporting events to theatre tickets. They do a great job of spreading the perks throughout all levels of the organization.

Cons

Vacation time, no natural light, company culture could be improved because the company seems silo'd at times between different business units. High cube walls do not give the impression that the company focuses on team collaboration.

Keep up the casual work environment and freedom to have flexibility as long as you are hitting your goals/expectations - this is your biggest asset. Combine the vacation days and sick days, so employees have PTO days that they have the freedom to decide how to use. Tear down the cube walls, if putting managers in cubes was to support team collaboration and communication, then 5 foot cube walls is a major deterrent. Set, quarterly divisional/company goals that are visible to improve employee engagement and then set team building rewards for achieving... happy hour, bowling, football tickets, etc. Its a Win Win!!

The new employment development program as well as the overall increased focus on development will be rewarding for individuals, as well as the company. Truly Appreciated!

I've always been treated fairly and I feel it's a great place to work.

Pros

Expectations are clear -- performance is rewarded. If you are struggling, there is plenty of help available -- you just need to ask. There's a good balance between hard work and socializing. Senior management encourages learning and development both inside and outside the office, and the benefits package is generous, even if the starting salaries are somewhat low for certain positions.

Cons

Technology has not always kept pace with growth.

Worked for Progressive Business Publications? Contribute to the Community!