Prudential Reviews

Updated 23 October 2014
3.3

Prudential Chairman and CEO John R. Strangfeld
John R. Strangfeld

Pros
  • Work/Life balance is good but still depends on what team you belong (in 88 reviews)

• Good benefits package - new employees are still eligible for a pension (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance of sales will drive most to leave within the first few years (in 25 reviews)

• 15 appoiuntments unless is is your personal friends and family (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company with great employee benefits.

Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant

I have been working at Prudential full-time

Pros

Flexible work schedules, good employee benefits.

Cons

Administrative roles finding different role opportunities within the company.

Part time work

Former Employee - Global Realty in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Global Realty in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Prudential full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great agency and leadership in metro Atlanta.

Cons

Not understand my global focus Also in mid of real estate crisis, closed office in my area.

Look at global business opportunity

Learning Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ (US)

I worked at Prudential full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Ability to work on a vast amount of high level projects

Cons

Limited resources, haste project requests

An Excellent Employer

I worked at Prudential full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Prudential was an excellent place to work. They value diversity. They respect all employees. They place ethical behavior & practices in high regard. They instill in you the importance and value in respecting Customers. I worked there for 15 years and grew to understand, respect, and appreciate them as a company. I would highly recommend seeking them out if you feel you would be a good fit.

Cons

Things sometimes take time to change. Think of the analogy of the time and effort it takes to take a huge ocean liner to change course. Certain things can and must get done quickly. However many things take a fair amount of time to come around and change.

Continue being open to creative and even divergent thinkers and their opinions. Genius was never found standing in line - following the pack. Genius contributions are often found in places (people) with the rough edges. "It's the grain of sand, the irritant, that stimulates the pearl." Keep that in mind.

Great

I have been working at Prudential (more than an year)

Pros

Great Place to Work and good management

Cons

Need more attention to detail

One of the most difficult careers to succeed, but can also be one of the most rewarding.

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Springfield, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Springfield, IL (US)

I have been working at Prudential full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

One of the best life experiences, career development and training programs are a major plus. Benefits, both retirement and current employee benefits a plus. Helping clients reach their goals, retirement, and protecting their families is by far the best part of the job.

Cons

Extremely long hours, very little pay in first 4-5 years. Company says 20% make it 4 years, personal experience showed its less than 5%, it might be more like 20% who make it 4 years survive the career.

Reward and compensate local management and staff more for keeping employees 2+ years instead of giving the majority or their pay and bonuses for recruitment of new reps and for their 1st years production. All it's done is increased the turnover and given the company a reputation for throwing their sales reps to the wolves the day their 1st year is over.

OK

I worked at Prudential

Pros

Provided great benefits and a nice work environment

Cons

Promotions were non-existent without a degree

Great if you're either amazing at sales or you already have a book of clients.

Current Employee - Financial Professional Associate in Shelton, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Professional Associate in Shelton, CT (US)

I have been working at Prudential full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very good benefits once you become a full time employee.
    Franchise Model - I knew a number of agents who were able to achieve success and essentially had their own business after a relatively short amount of time with the company (2-3 years)
    If you can achieve a certain level of success the compensation model is excellent.
    You basically make your own schedule.
    If you've a fairly active client base and comfortable selling to them you will do very well.
    If you're talented or well versed at cold call sales you can do very well.

Person experience and pros: I wanted to transition from a career I was very unsatisfied with and I Interviewed for a few sales job and accepted this one with no pay until I made 5 sales within six months. I also had to complete 3 licenses and the company training. Seems easy enough, right? Nearly bankrupted myself until I had a number of sales hit weeks before the 6 months was up. I was pretty good at selling life insurance, however LI doesn't pay very well unless you're selling massive, expensive policies. I had a few great months and a few horrible ones. I decided I didn't have nearly enough money in my coffers to succeed at this job with risking financial ruin and used my experience to get a more stable sales position.

Cons

No base salary and you're spending your own money for gas with no reimbursements.
    Difficult job if you don't know many people with money or in the need of your services.
    You'll end up hustling your friends.
    If a sale falls through at the wrong time you'll end up in the hole for your pay.

Life insurance is something people are not willing to spend a lot of money on so I didn't make too much. The real money in this job is in investments and annuities. I was able to partner up with some very talented agents and make some decent sales with decent commission checks. I ended up taking a few weeks off for personal reasons (totally scheduled and expected) and I was unable to recover and was not willing to work for zero compensation and still be expected to pay for my gas to go on appointments.

I can't say I blame management for running the business this way. Sales is ALWAYS a high turnover field with a small number making a successful career out of the job. I don't see why they'd pay a base salary to someone unless they're able to drive results. It just sucks when you're on your own and trying to make ends meet when you don't have a paycheck coming in.

Overall excellent experience, although I was laid off after more than 10 years

Former Employee - Vice President, Relationship Manager in Newark, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Vice President, Relationship Manager in Newark, NJ (US)

I worked at Prudential full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits and work/life balance. Management is very supportive of work/life balance including telecommuting, occasional work from home, varied schedule, work in an alternate location, etc. Senior Management is very strong, as evidenced by Prudential's journey through the 2008 financial crisis.

Cons

Quick to hire and quick to fire. Prudential is very overfunded in their pension, so they are not hesitant to do lay offs and pay out severance. Most of the time, this occurs because you happen to be in the wrong business unit, or organization. Or.... your work is outsourced. What they don't do, is try to get you placed in anticipation of a lay off. Recently over 100 were laid off, yet there were over 600 jobs advertised internally. This is clearly an opportunity for HR.

A Stepping Stone

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dresher, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dresher, PA (US)

I have been working at Prudential full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very corporate environment with very clear guidelines. This can be seen either as a pro or con, depending on your world view. The amount of training received is staggering. nearly 11 weeks to ease you in with a medium learning curve .

Cons

Sometimes a bit too corporate. The technical systems oftentimes malfunction leaving the employee to scramble to make up lost work time.

Get all the systems running better. Could use more trainers or better ones