Public Storage

Public Storage Reviews

Updated 28 October 2014
Updated 28 October 2014
2.6

Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.
Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Pros
  • So you have a good work/life balance if you have things to get taken care of after 6pm (in 13 reviews)

• Working alone and having office/steady hours are about it (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Being a property manager is a difficult task with a lot of responsibility (in 67 reviews)

• Not once has any upper management ever looked at my goal board (in 47 reviews)

More Highlights

Great career move to a strong, stable and expanding publicly traded company. Top management team, talented colleagues.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA (US)

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Super smart and good-humored people at the top and throughout all levels of the organization. Employees are diverse, talented, dedicated and have a fun spirit. There are many long-term employees, some "bleed orange." Work is always interesting with new challenges every day. The company is forward-thinking and serioulsy plans for the future, striking a balance of high growth without high-risk. Fiscal policies are conservative with very little debt. The company culture is "be respectful to others" and feel free to laugh at yourself and make others laugh along the way. The company is very careful in the hiring process to make sure new hires are a good fit. The company spends a lot of money to hire and retain top talent. Corporate offices are at good location for easy commute from many directions. I work on a great team with a great boss and definitely recommend the company to others!

Cons

No challenges or gripes you wouldn't find in any organization. Some employees feel that communication needs to be improved. This probably varies from department to department, and between corporate and the field. It's a rapidly growing environment and hard to keep up with it all. Need to pursue your own path to success and personal growth. Slackers need not apply.

Continue to invest in a challenged, motivated and satisfied workforce. They will carry you to success on each of their backs.

Not the worst but dont see myself working here long term .

Current Employee - Relief Manager in Clifton, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Relief Manager in Clifton, NJ (US)

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

38-39 hours a week
    5 days a week
    12 starting with 50 cent raise after 6 mo
    Health and dental n vision benefits

Cons

No same days off per week
    Alot of work for 12 per hr
    Makes you sell insurance with no commision
    Corparation ran
    Communication with upper management
    Little to no Advancement

Stop being CHEAP. Give a little more pay position requires you to rent, clean, bill collect, answer phones, do paperwork and handle customer issues.

Corporate employee: 2 1/2 years. Industry leader, sucessful, lean & stable company.

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Glendale, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Glendale, CA (US)

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My experience working at the corporate office has been one of the best thus far in my 10 year working career. For a large publically traded-company, the enviroment is warm, friendly & family-like. The turnover is very low turnover as most of my colleages have been here for decades and are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. My department's processes are efficient and well-organized. Company culture promotes work-life balance, fairly compensates and provides plenty of opportunities to grow & advance.

Cons

Don't have any complaints thus far.

Great Company!

Current Employee - Middle Management in Glendale, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Glendale, CA (US)

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Public Storage is a great stable company to work for. Having been here for over 11 years I am happy to have found a company that values it's employees and their contributions. I love the fact that there are so many employees here who have been with the company for a long time. I know many who have been here over 15 years and several who have been here 20+ years. That is a sign of a good company to work for!

Cons

Sure compensation could be better or benefits could be greater, but it is competitive with other companies. You get what you put in to the company and your job. Do well and be rewarded. Doing your job and doing it well is expected. If you take pride in what you do then this is the place for you.

Management has been doing a great job. Public Storage is a stable company with a great business model. I am proud to be a part of Public Storage.

District Manager. 2 years

I have been working at Public Storage

Pros

I love the people I work with. It's great working for a company that is an industry leader and you know is not going anywhere. I feel like I am well compensated for what I do.

Cons

The has been has been very successful with its business model but there is definitely some opportunities when it comes to property maintenance. We do spend a lot of time doing our own repairs and maintenance around the property.

Public Storage a great work place

Current Employee - Property Tax Analyst in Glendale, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Property Tax Analyst in Glendale, CA (US)

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company has a friendly atmosphere. Policy is what is expected in a large corporation and pay is competitive. People is what makes this a great place to work. Working more than 25 years is a testament to its great leadership and management.

Cons

Help with transportation subsidy for carpooling and public transportation would be welcomed if the program was restored.

Currently employed for over 7 years now...

Current Employee - Property Manager/KTP in Reno, NV (US)
    Current Employee - Property Manager/KTP in Reno, NV (US)

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This company offers great training programs and on the job experience in management, retail, and sales. All members of management and corporate level employees really care about each other's safety and overall job satisfaction throughout the company by offering great benefits, bonus programs, incentives, and opportunities to advance within the company.

Cons

Challenges that can arise during a work day involve customer service issues or complaints. This company is all about customer happiness and satisfaction that upper management is always available to assist if help is needed in resolving issues.

I have no bad words..this company has been good to me

Current Employee - Property Manager in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have had a few different DM's and each one has different personalities but I was treated with respect. This is a sales position and that is what should be focused on. When your hired to do a job if you don't like it then you should find something else no matter where you are working. It's nice to be out at 6 and 5 on the weekends. No long retail nights!!

Cons

Sometimes it may be difficult when you are working by yourself, that's when it seems the most people come in. The only other thing is that we should be off a few more holidays

None at this time, I'm happy with my position

Good company if you have initiative and are a long term contributer

Current Employee - Middlle Management in Glendale, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Middlle Management in Glendale, CA (US)

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fellow employees in the corporate office are easy work with and the enviorment is gennerally low key. If you show initiative, a good work ethic and common sense the company can be very rewarding both financially as well as in terms of job/career satisfaction.

Cons

Depending on your position the balance between work and personal time can get a bit lopsided. However in the context of what can be expected in any company these days, its probably just normal.

Possibly extending out the RSU program in possibly a small way to a few key lower salaried and hourly personnel. It would build both loyalty and help those who plan to dedicate themselves to the company plan for thier latter years.

Over the past seven years this company has been a great place for me to grow personally and professionally.

Current Employee - Property Manager/KTP in Daly City, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Property Manager/KTP in Daly City, CA (US)

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits of working here are that you get to work with the public and meet lots of different people In the community, the company offers onsite management for property managers , and offers up to date training in customer service and retail sales.

Cons

Some of the challenges to working here are the different customer service issues you may encounter. Though they can present a challenge they can also help you grow professionally and you are never left without help to solve them.

My advice to management is to continue putting customers and employees first.