Public Storage
www.publicstorage.com Glendale, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Public Storage Reviews

Updated Apr 19, 2014

Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Pros:
  • "Working alone and having office/steady hours are about it"
    in 15 reviews
  • "One of the best things working for Public Storage is they care in customer service"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "You get told you can advance but that's only from a relief manager to a property manager for"
    in 58 reviews
  • "All upper management is hired from outside the company and are trained by"
    in 42 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Public Storage - Market Leader in Burbank

Clerical Staff (Former Employee)
Burbank, CA (US)

I worked at Public Storage full-time for less than a year

ProsIt's great to work for the establisshed leader in the space

ConsNot much innovation and things move slowly

Advice to Senior Managementnothing that comes to mind

New DM to Pulic Storage

District Manager (Current Employee)
Virginia Beach, VA (US)

I have been working at Public Storage full-time for less than a year

ProsLove the leadership! Regional and Divisional leadership is engaged not only in my personal development but also with that of the property managers which is key in inspiring loyalty. Training for new DM's is an extensive 3 month process ensuring that you are set up for success once in role, loved my training mentor and my training made me confident in the transition to taking over my current district. Seems like there is a lot of energy put in to succession planning and promoting within!

ConsYou have your hands in a lot more aspects of the business than I have ever experienced in similar roles, however the 3 month training ensures you are comfortable with all of this before going live.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to make the focus our team and service experience!

Happy DM

I have been working at Public Storage full-time

ProsLove the job. Best I've ever had. Lots of flexibility. Great place to work.

ConsLock cuts are rough on your body.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being positive and sharing.

A customer focused friendly environment

Relief Manager (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Public Storage full-time for less than a year

ProsIt's a job for you if you enjoy helping people solve problems

ConsBad weather can make this job difficult

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more flexible with coworkers

A great opportunity with an outstanding company.

I have been working at Public Storage full-time for more than a year

ProsThere are numerous reasons to work for Public Storage. Some of the best reasons include, but are not limited to, the hours, the experiences, the benefits, the personal growth and training, and much more. It's not your normal 9 to 5, but very close. You work 9:30 am to 6 pm during the week and 9:30 to 5 on the weekends. Even with a busy home life the hours fit great into your schedule. Secondly, nothing can beat the experiences you have working for this company. Every customer who walks through your door is going through something in life that has brought them to you. You have the opportunity to put a smile on there face and send them home with a piece of mind knowing you are there to help them in any way you can. Benefits that come along with working for public storage, of course at your choosing, range from medical insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, and the list goes on. Enough about the nuts and bolts, my favorite thing about working for this company is the personal growth and training. Whether you come into this company with customer service skills or not, I guarantee you will leave with them. On top of the elaborate training you receive as a new hire, the District Manager and Senior DM will also take the time to help you grow by doing regular training with you. They do critic you, as any boss would, but not in a way that demeans you. They help you learn how to be even better and by doing so you grow into a better customer service professional.

ConsI wouldn't say there are challenges to working for public storage. You do tend to work on your own a lot. However, if you need help with anything someone is always a phone call away.

We don't store like its ours.

Relief Manager (Current Employee)
Long Beach, CA (US)

I have been working at Public Storage full-time for less than a year

ProsIt is a somewhat "laid back" job depending on what locations you are sent to. There are set hours to work, you know what time you come in and what time you go home. No late night or early morning shifts.

ConsYou are left alone at busy locations. You are required to memorize over 20 scripts. District managers are hardly ever useful, so as a Relief manager you must problem solve to your best ability. Transients and "riff raff" who are unhinged, it is a scary job when alone.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of your employees, your sites are not safe.

Little growth opportunity, insulting annual raises, crap bonus and cheap district managers

Associate Manager (Former Employee)
Orlando, FL (US)

I worked at Public Storage full-time for more than a year

ProsI genuinely like the work, but am only surviving because I own my home. The compensation (compared to the high level of performance they require and continued mental abuse received from supervisors) is insulting. Pride prevents me from delivering anything less than my best, and that must be what they're counting on.

I enjoy dealing with my customers, although corporate continues to lose long term patrons because of regular rent increases (with no ceiling) and skimpy property maintenance. It's all about shareholder profits and executive bonuses, apparently. They couldn't care less about the customers (or employees). We at one time had bonuses for keeping property above goals. Now they have made it that only 40% or less employees can qualify to receive any incentives, plus our PTO is designed to stay at under 40 hours.

ConsMy experience is that DM's are spread too thinly between multiple locations and can't handle the work load. It's been far too long since they ran their own facility, if they ever did, and all they see now are numbers and how to line their own purses. Mine has extremely poor people handling skills, and will quickly throw a devoted employee under the bus to make them look good and fulfill their own self-serving agenda. They show very little respect, and belittle and talk down to employees regularly. They rarely praise you for a job well done, but regularly offer harsh criticisms based on ever changing 'policies' and mistrust through scathing emails, unrealistic audits, secret shoppers, spy cams, and recorded phone calls.

Advice to Senior ManagementTeach your District and Area Managers to respect their workers, quit micro-managing, allow your General Managers to make their own decisions, and then stand behind them. I am a hard working, honest, employee that works with integrity. My customers love me. My facility is run professionally. My supervisors treat me like a child and show no trust, confidence or loyalty. I've been successfully running this facility for more than 8 years and still have to explain myself and cover my butt daily.

What General Manager in other companies has NO say in hiring, firing, purchasing supplies, daily decision making, or is even permitted to contact their corporate office personnel without going through their DM?

The company has done very well financially, and is experiencing all-time high occupancy levels. General Managers and Managers have accomplished this in spite of poor leadership by their immediate supervisors and near poverty compensation. Give credit where credit is due. Stop spending millions on senseless aquisition of competing small self storage properties, unnecessary office remodeling, and computer upgrades that don't work, and pay your employees that run the field (the ones that your customers deal with every day) what we deserve. Then trust us to do the job.

Nerve Wracking

Property Manager (Former Employee)
Las Vegas, NV (US)

I worked at Public Storage full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPublic Storage is a good place to learn the business of storage. No late hours. Mid morning start time is great. Get to work one on one with the public.

ConsWorkers are not promoted beyond property manager. Upper management are hired outside the company and most have never worked in the storage business, yet think they know what works best over the people who actually work it.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet people be themselves instead of robots with scripts. What looks good on paper is not always the best option.

okay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Public Storage

ProsIt was relatively easy work.

ConsHave to deal with public

New to Public Storage

District Manager (Current Employee)
Virginia Beach, VA (US)

I have been working at Public Storage full-time for less than a year

ProsI have been with Public Storage for about six months - so far so good. Great training program, which is very important - this is a different industry, so there is a lot to learn. The hours of the properties help to promote a great work/home life balance. Public Storage is a very stable and growing company; which allows great opportunities for advancement. I have no doubt that I have made the right choice in joining the PS family!

ConsI believe that this is already in the works, but some computers systems/programs need to be upgraded.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to drive growth and focus on the development of people. This will enhance the advancement opportunities throughout the company.

Worked for Public Storage? Contribute to the Community!

Public Storage Videos

Public Storage – Why Work for Us?

Public Storage built its first self-storage facility in 1972 and now operates more than 2,200 unique and diverse company-owned locations in the United States and Europe. Serving more than one million customers with… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Public Storage reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Public Storage CEO Ronald L. Havner Jr.. All 258 reviews are posted anonymously by Public Storage employees.