Public Storage

Public Storage Reviews

Updated 19 September 2014
Updated 19 September 2014
2.5

Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.
Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Pros
  • So you have a good work/life balance if you have things to get taken care of after 6pm (in 12 reviews)

• Working alone and having office/steady hours are about it (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Being a property manager is a difficult task with a lot of responsibility (in 65 reviews)

• All upper management is hired from outside the company and are trained by (in 45 reviews)

More Highlights

If you are looking for a culture based company you have found it! Success is about commitment to excellence

Current Employee - District Manager Public Storage  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - District Manager Public Storage in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Public Storage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The management team is dedicated to helping you grow as a leader. You run a business within a business and can see results with effort. Very rewarding personally and financially.

Cons

This is not for the faint of heart. It a marathon job that is about relentless execution. If that is you it will pay off. If you are looking for the dream of overnight success, keep looking.

As an operations manager that has been with the company nearly 4 years I would like to learn more about opportunities that exist within the company to help develop new initiatives. Onward and upward!

Customer service

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Public Storage

Pros

Great job to work for

Cons

Great job to work for

Not as promised

Current Employee - District Manager  in  Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - District Manager in Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at Public Storage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Properties are only open from 9 AM to 6 PM.

Cons

Tenants call at all hours day or night. Company does not appreciate your input nor results,"in appreciation for all your hard work, we are going to be giving all the district managers a Polo shirt at the sales conference" Your immediate supervisor, a RM or SDM, can make a bad job worse. For a company that made 1.8B in profit last year, fixing anything at the properties is next to impossible. All PS cares about is money, how to make it and they will pay as little as possible to keep it. Everyone in the company refers every complaint to the DM, but we are not empowered to make any adjustments to rent increases, delinquency, pricing, etc.

If you tell the DMs to run their district like they owned it, let them. Denying every work order, having them get yelled at by tenants who have been there for 5 years because they got their 5th rent increase while not empowering them to make adjustments to the rent. Also, PS wants educated, motivated, DMs with lots of experience, but 2 days a month we cut locks, 2 days a month we sell at auction, and more and more we have turned into the trash haulers because we can't afford to pay anyone to pickup abandoned goods. Pay the DMs for everything you expect.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Think twice

Former Employee - Resident Property Manager  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Resident Property Manager in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Public Storage full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You are generally your own boss, Apartments can very nice

Cons

You never get to leave your work and customers swill knock on your door at all hours and expect you to take care of them even on your day off. I have been followed by customers when I was walking. My life has been threatened numerous times due to auctions. You need to know verbatim presentation to customers. Once you move in they are very cheap at apartment repairs and some apartments are NOT NICE

Allow people to present their rentals so a customer does not feel like you don't care what they are asking....customers are not robots and know when you are talking to them and not a rehearsed communication......it makes them feel MORE SPECIAL

District Manager is really a manager

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at Public Storage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stock when I was hired with a three year vestment. Other than that, as I look back at my two years there I see no pros.

Cons

Although they only hire experienced DMs I found the DMs who had been there the longest where ones who had never worked for a decent company in the past. This job is really a management job where you manage hourly employees who have no authority to make any decisions. The Senior DM is really the DM managing you, the manager.
    Work life balance is the absolute worst and a complete joke. You aRe expected to log in every day to make sure you employees made it to work. This means forget church, workouts, camping with no wifi, etc. God forbid one of your lame hourly employees call in sick at the last minute, show up late for work, or quit and you don't get your property opened up on time. The. An email goes out to every level of mgmt and if you didn't prereport it you are screwed.
    Summers you are expected to work six days a week for about three months with no other compensated day off. You literally have to send in reports several times a day on Saturdays and sometimes Sundays during this time reporting units rented, locks sold, etc. What a joke and another way for them to make your life miserable.
    Car mileage is a joke. I know it is the law but if you don't live near your territory you will be screwed.
    Management--- I don't know where to start. This is the most micro managed company you will ever work for. The CEO and upper management
    have their hand in everything from approvals to pay repairs on dilapidated storage units to 24/ 7 tabs on all their employees. They have huge egos And treat their employees poorly
    The regional meetings are unbelievable. The regional and seniors will literally practice their DM meeting presentations for hours so when the CEO and whoever else decides to attend their meeting, don't chastise them for having a bad meeting. We had a DM once who got fired because the CEO reported her to the rvp that she took her shoes off under the table during the meeting. True story !
    The annual reviews are a complete joke. The RVPs have to spend a week in California presenting their dm reviews to the CEO. What CEO has the time to manage every DM in the company! It is a complete dog and pony show.

I don't know where to stop so I'll stop here. Don't take a job here. It was a complete waste of my time. I was not fired or forced out by any means just got tired of working for such a crappy company

Work life balance! Promote hourlys from within. Treat your management with respect, don't just demand it by scaring them all

Opportunity to Make a Difference at a Top Company

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Glendale, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing in Glendale, CA (US)

I have been working at Public Storage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

We are a relatively small team for such a large company, which can make it easier to make a meaningful difference. You do still have to be willing to be creative and to work a bit to stand out. Public Storage also has a family feel at team birthday parties and holiday events. Even the CEO and other execs attend when they are in town. Our smaller, more efficient team also makes for a stronger profit margin and more stable employer, which means a lot to me.

Cons

Though I appreciate our structure and think it's efficient overall, sometimes having fewer peers can have drawbacks.

Choose your attitude when you come to work

Current Employee - District Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - District Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Public Storage full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The opportunity with this company is what you make of it. If you are driven, competitive, able to motivate a team, hold them to a high level of performance and celebrate your victories, you can do very well at Public Storage. I have been here for three years and have enjoyed the opportunity to control my own destiny in the ways of my career path and earnings through competing for higher bonuses. Shame on current employees who are willing to accept a paycheck and turn around and blast the company (this or any) with negative reviews while still working there. If you're not happy, you should look somewhere else.

Cons

It's difficult to see people at tough transitions in their lives. Death, divorce, lost a job or home are common reasons why people need storage. As far as the company culture, I would like to see more incentives and/or contests for our property level teams. They will drive whatever you want driven with incentives attached to them.

The business model is rock solid. I'm happy to work for a company that I know will be there every morning when I wake up. As far as operations, I would like to see a DM committee that could share ideas at a higher level and help our processes evolve at the same speed as our results.

No direction, poor training

I worked at Public Storage

Pros

The company makes more money than they know what to do with.

Cons

Always on the clock, never have time to yourself. No incentive for property managers to sell. Always reactive and never proactive!

Participate in undercover boss to get a true understanding of how people feel.

Fire Me PLEASE!

Current Employee - Relief Manager  in  Lakewood, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Relief Manager in Lakewood, CO (US)

I have been working at Public Storage full-time for more than a year

Pros

Moving is such a stressful time, I really like the type of work, being able to help people when they need it the most.

Cons

Since I started to work for Public Storage, they have taken away bonuses and vacation time. They ask more on a daily basis that they themselves wouldn't or couldn't do. As property managers we asked to prostitute ourselves for the Google review and become "used car salesmen" when customers move in by selling them merchandise they don't need. All the bonuses for those sales going to the DM or RM. While the properties are falling apart, golf carts set with flat tires and dead batteries. Gates held together by wire coat hangers. But don't forget the raffle ticket that could win you $50.00 but just made your DM $500.00. I am tired of jumping thru hoops and doing cartwheels to sell merchandise and begging for Google reviews.

Remember who makes the money that pays your Bonus, imagine how much the company would make if you gave back the things you took away... The threat of loosing your job is no longer incentive enough to make me do the things that I feel are unethical. I was looking for a Job when I found this one.

Horrible

I worked at Public Storage

Pros

Meet new people and ok hours

Cons

Long weeks. I have worked 7 and 8 days straight. Never get a Saturday off and very lucky if you get a Sunday off. You never know what you will be working from week to week. Lots of work and no consideration for a family. The buildings are falling apart and camera don't work. Never get recognized for anything you do. They always want more and more. They don't care about there employees because you can be replaced. If your a big boss like DM etc. Then you get great pay and weekends off. Always getting harassed by the customers. I personally have been threatened at least once a week. They don't care. In the end everything falls on your plate. I have never worked for a company that is so heartless. This is a temporary job. Don't get trapped.
    They make it sound good but everyone is a manager and there higher ups are from outside never within the company. So no chance to move up. If you love your family and don't want to get treated like crap on there shoe don't work here. Lots and lots of work for little pay. You must sale merchandise and push it on customers or get in trouble. They are all about money not customer service. Just a horrible company.

You should care about the employees and there families and a better and Safer working place. Like better pay and alternating weekends off.

Worked for Public Storage? Contribute to the Community!