PwC

3.5 4,283 reviews

PwC US Chairman & Senior Partner Robert Moritz

Robert Moritz

4,283 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Very professional work place; flexible hours/work from home/work-life balance"
    in 198 reviews
  • "It is a great place to start your career if you want to stay in accounting"
    in 106 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance is deviated at times (auditing is always a somewhat seasonal business)"
    in 703 reviews
  • "Work ridiculously long hours without pay that compensates for all the time working"
    in 680 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Very good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at PwC

ProsGood atmosphere and good career prospects

ConsLots of work for comparatively small salary

Generally nice atmosphere

Intern (Former Employee)
London, England

I worked at PwC as an intern for less than a year

ProsCulture: relaxed, sense that everyone is trying to help you acheive your goals
Integration: opportunities to work with other teams within your division. I was able to shadow the management consulting division despite being in a different division.

ConsInertia that comes from big organistion. Not all divisions have the same culture. Bland and slightly boring work.

Advice to Senior ManagementFixation that cross-selling is a key generator of value

Will the last person to leave please turn out the lights...

Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at PwC full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDespite the title of my review, there are some really good things about this firm.

1. Some people are very clever and friendly, I have been lucky enough to work with these individuals over the past few years. They have great experience and what I call technical knowledge and best of all they are willing to share it with you.

2. Training is brilliant, this firm has one of the best graduate programmes for management consultants and offers excellent learning and development throughout your career.

3. Due to the massive nature of the firm it is very hard to get sacked unless you do something stupid e.g. Sexual harassment, racism, etc. there is so much red tape that you get several chances before being shown the door. Also the firm competes within itself, so you could feasibly move from consulting to risk assurance and do the same job - but with new people managing you.

4. If you want international experience - secondments are readily available.

5. If you can navigate the Cons I have listed the world really is your oyster and you will have a good experience here.

ConsPlease note that this point of view is based on working in Advisory/Consulting in the UK bean counter competency (if you don't know what that means it doesn't apply to you).

1. On joining the firm make sure you are happy with your grade and compensation package, as there is a good chance you will not get a pay rise or bonus for the next five years.

2. Expanding on the above - you are judged every year on utilisation, developing others, extra time you spend on developing collateral and what you've done to raise the firms profile e.g. Charity work in the community, article in the paper, etc. NO ONE will tell you this explicitly when you join the business. Working on a project and hitting your billable hours a year is only a small part of it. You are judged against the ENTIRE competency on a 1 - 4 scale, with only 1s and 2s getting a pay rise every year and even these numbers are bell curved. Meeting your util target will get you a 3 at most, if you haven't worked the extra ours to cover the other areas your performance is reviewed against.

3. People managers hold your career in the palm of your hands, they are the ones that attend moderation on your behalf and argue your case. If you don't have one that cares, then your career is over. Also unless your PM is a high flier you are going no where. Last year I asked my PM what I had to do to get at least a 2. I worked my socks off and did everything he told me - we had regular monthly catch ups to make sure I was on target. Then it came to year end and I didn't get a 2, whereas the other 2 people he managed got 1s. I was livid, how could he not even benchmark my year against the others? I brought this up in my appraisal and all I got was a pat on the head and better luck next time.

4. Despite what they tell you Partner and Director sponsorship is everything. If you aren't "in" with a clique you are going no where, usually your PM will get you into theirs but it doesn't always work that way. In this firm alone there is the ex-Dolittle gang, IP boys club, FS master group and R&C mafia. If you can't get into one of these areas and get Partner and Director support enjoy the no pay rise and bonus years.

5. In my area the firm scores 0 for diversity, all the Partners are WASPs aged between 40 - 60. This is a fact and whilst they are trying to change this nothing has happened since my time here.

6. Good eggs with great experience and technical knowledge are leaving in droves or moving to other areas within the firm. The lack of progression from C to SC and from SC to Director has caused this. There have been too many broken promises and false starts, is it any wonder that of all of the Big 4 this firm have had open recruitment during all of the lean years?

7. Due to how the business has grown, some people have joined the firm without going through the promotion process at a higher level than they were previously at. I am constantly amazed at how little content these people have and just talk their way through meetings, not realising that they are out of their depth.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the moderation process transparent so people know the internal standards.

At the very least give everyone an inflationary pay rise, like the rest of the firm every year.

Whilst impossible - try to break up the cliques.

Hard graft but hopefully worth it

Senior Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at PwC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood opportunities to second abroad or in other departments
Good brand name
Pay for you to sit your accounting qualification

ConsBusy season is long hours for poor pay (relative to industry)
Hit and miss the people you work with

Advice to Senior ManagementShow more appreciation of employees

London Consultant

Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at PwC full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPersonal development - PwC Consulting have invested a lot in the L&D available, which has become some of the best out there

Team environment - PwC has a pretty friendly and open culture

Project experience - The Consulting practice is going through a period of growth at the moment which both makes it an exciting place to be, but also opens the doors to some really good project experience

ConsRemuneration - PwC pay is very much top down, i.e. you get higher salary's / profit share at more senior grades. Whilst this is acts as a bit of a 'carrot at the end of the stick' .. PwC need to look at the more junior grades (Consultant - Senior Consultant)

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to develop into a top tier Consulting practice you need to look at making sure we have competitive reward packages vs the market. Though there is always the talk of 'market benchmarking', it only takes other competitors and recruitment consultants giving you a real appreciation of your value (which is somewhat more than PwC salary).

Still some way to go on the Diversity agenda - though heading in the right direction.

Very little progression and no clear strategy

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at PwC full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood name on the CV. Good independence from partners (as long as you deliver on time and the clients pay the bills)

ConsThe key problem is promotions. Within the technology practice only one london based person has been promoted to Director in the last four years. 4 times as many have come from external hires or by buying companies and most of these individuals are much weaker then those incumbent within PwC.

The head of the technology practice has changed three times in as many years, which means that the big growth targets an supposed strategy are no closer of more achievable. Again each of these heads have been external and don't understand the wealth of talent which is within the firm - rather choosing to hire their mates from other companies on inflated grades.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore promotion from within. Fewer external hires in leadership positions. Stop acquiring companies with weaker staff then we have and no clear pipeline. And stop saying wages are ok and are benchmarked. Do the partners care that there pay is higher then the benchmark or do they want the highest profit per partner in the big four.

Audit - Challenging, fast paced, good rewards, flexible working and great people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at PwC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- Good reward (overall package)
- Great people - from experts that you can learn a lot from but also people that are fun to work with
- Good development and learning opportunities

Cons- Can often be many late nights (but that is the nature of the industry)
- Lots of travelling as your clients can change as often as weekly (again, the nature of the industry)

Great company to work for. Amazing brand name.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at PwC full-time for less than a year

ProsCollegial culture, good work-life balance, opportunities to work on general assignments as well as to specialize oneself

Conslow pay compared to industry standards, career progression depends more on political power and internal network rather than good performance

Great flexibility and experience but large machine and pay lower than strat houses

Senior Associate (Former Employee)
London, England

I worked at PwC full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat training, flexibility and generally wonderful colleagues, possibility for extensive travel or sticking closer to home depending on your preferences,

ConsPay is lower than industry average for consulting and promotion is a clunky process, especially for the grads

Advice to Senior ManagementPay comparable to industry average to retain the best talent, and try to make the promotion process a little more personal, promotion based on merit, not being able to 'play the game'

Strong employer

I have been working at PwC full-time

ProsLarge, interesting clients - lots of opportunity to learn and flexibility to manage workload.
Oportunities for secondments. Leading market position

ConsPay appears to be slightly below peers

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestry regarding pay vs peers

Worked for PwC? Contribute to the Community!

PwC Videos

PwC – Why Work for Us?

Imagine the power of 160,000 people with a common purpose — building relationships that create value for you and your business. This is PwC. Every day, our people work with you to build the value you are looking for… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PwC reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for PwC CEO Robert Moritz. All 4,283 reviews are posted anonymously by PwC employees.