PwC

PwC Reviews in San Jose, CA US

Updated Jul 30, 2014

PwC US Chairman & Senior Partner Robert Moritz

Robert Moritz

Pros
  • No work-life balance during busy season because the nature of assurance work (in 237 reviews)

• It is a great place to start your career if you want to stay in accounting (in 116 reviews)

Cons
  • Also work life balance is very difficult to achieve until it gets to the problem stage (in 803 reviews)

• Long hours during busy season but thats to be expected at any audit firm in the city (in 787 reviews)

More Highlights
133 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

This was the best decision that I in I have in my 25 year career.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsPwC is a very structured company and they expect that you will make a difference with the lives and companies that you touch, and you will. You are expected to be human, but excellence is expected. PwC grows their employees and expects you to grown those around you.

ConsNot to many so far.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease continue to grown your employees.

Public accounting is a great career starter.

Audit Associate (Former Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsGreat experience of working with smart and driven people.

ConsSalary is not fair for the amount of time and work that you do.

Good place to start your career but very stressful environment

Audit Senior Associate (Former Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsIn terms of learning curve, if you are smart enough to figure out by yourself, it is very steep. You will learn a lot in a very short period of time but not necessarily in details. Still, you will experience lots of stuff in Accounting, so you can get a general picture of Accounting concept really quick.

ConsVery inefficient structure and the quality of people you are dealing with is very extreme. Only half of employees is smart enough to get the job done but the other half raised a question how they even got the job. Very high-turn over, so always lack of resources and they just bring people from Singapore. Top-down culture is very exhausting and some managers treat you as almost like a work slavery. No weekend, holidays, or vacations. Lots of health issue can come up because you don't have any time to exercise or take care of yourself.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your associate better. If manager is not qualified, the senior management needs to step in rather than just watching over the associates are suffering from managers. If the senior management doesn't change the culture, you cannot stop the high turn-over rate. Bring people from Singapore will never be a solution.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing place to transform yourself, if you know what you want

Experienced Associate - Advisory (Current Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsThere is always somebody, somewhere, doing something you're passionate about. If you're lucky enough to find the team and get involved, there's so much you can get out of the PwC experience. I was not the happiest employee for the first few months, but was fortunate enough to find a group of people who were working on what I love. I wake up motivated every morning, believe it or not.

ConsNot all teams are alike, and finding that one niche is difficult, especially for new associates and senior associates. Some groups are more intense (I-banking-like), hierarchical, and don't treat you well, while others are more egalitarian, and understand the value of work-life balance. It truly depends on what you are doing, and with whom you're doing it.

Engaging and Rewarding

Senior Associate - Assurance (Current Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsGreat starting salary + wonderful team.

I have the pleasure of working for a company that gives me flexibility and choice to shape my career.

ConsI do not have a lot of negative experiences so far, but every company has them. To succeed one needs to balance work priorities with personal priorities. Finding a balance in Big 4 is a challenge.

PwC RA

IT Audit Associate (Current Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsGood opportunities, especially right out of school.

ConsLong hours and high learning curve.

Very Disappointing Experience

Audit Associate (Current Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsStill trying to figure this out

ConsFear based performance metrics, anyone in management has only worked within the firm so they completely lack perspective. Average age is 21 so that totally sucks too...who want to build a network full of millennials.

Assurance Experienced Associate

Experienced Assurance Associate (Former Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsSteep learning curve, gain a lot of experience in the industry, makes you marketable for other jobs, ability to be early promoted if you can navigate the system

ConsSome months there is no work life balance. Sometimes clients may be fr from where you live so you might be commuting for a long time. Also the office is full of politics.

Advice to Senior Managementpay more attention to your junior staff

Be prepared to work very hard

Tax Manager (Former Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsIf you take the initiative, you can generally seek out the type of work and projects you most enjoy

Consmale-dominated culture; access to some high-profile clients seems to be confined to the "boys-club"; associates and seniors are hired in with the knowledge that PwC will just grind them down and burn them out--PwC should be honest about the fact that long-term career potential won't exist for the majority of the young staff it hires.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think it is inappropriate the way that PwC will continue to try to shape who ends up at which clients after we have resigned from PwC. There seem to be a lot of "off the record" conversations which are very unseemly.

Great company to start out your career.

Audit Associate (Former Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsResume builder, swift push into the real world out of college.

ConsLong hours and monotony. Like anything, you have to make sure its for you.

Worked for PwC? Contribute to the Community!