Qualcomm

3.9
1,733 Reviews

Qualcomm CEO Steve Mollenkopf
Steve Mollenkopf

Pros
  • Good work/life balance, Cutting edge work (if you're lucky enough to be assigned to it) (in 123 reviews)

• Exposure of cutting edge technology, Fast paced environment (in 109 reviews)

Cons
  • Management does not seem to care about the work life balance of its employees (in 114 reviews)

• I worked extremely long hours without receiving even a 'thank you' in most cases (in 85 reviews)

More Highlights

Very friendly atmosphere, great learning opportunities

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Qualcomm as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

challenging environment and friendly colleagues.

Cons

It was fun working as an intern

Like catching ebola, everyday.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England

I worked at Qualcomm full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They pay an acceptable wage, erm they have tea and coffee facilities and toilets

Cons

No work life balance, middle management are a bunch of yes men, work was frustrating and largely unrewarding, Qualcomm only happy when all its employees are having mental breakdowns or divorces.
    They have managed through IPR and sharp practice to put all other mobility vendors out of business. Telecoms is now effectively a monopoly with Qualcomm holding all to ransom.
    Farnborough site of QCT is one of the most depressing places I've ever worked.

I dunno - retire - surely you have enough money by now ? you've only got to kill Mediatek and you have ruled the world !

great company with truly global scale and ambitions

Former Employee - Business Development in London, England
    Former Employee - Business Development in London, England

I worked at Qualcomm full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Talented staff, great learning programs and resources, top compensation levels, opportunity to impact billions of lives through the technology

Cons

Top heavy with too many 1) males, 2) engineers, 3) senior titles. Currently undergoing a cull to protect net income figures. Too centralised in San Diego - all other sites/employees are low on priority. Too much politics originating from senior VP's being there since the beginning.

Bring in employees with more diverse backgrounds than engineering/finance/law, otherwise you risk losing your creative/innovative dna. Time to grow up from being a family firm to being a truly global company.

Great Compay

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Qualcomm is a flexible and interesting company to work for. Typically work is fun with opportunities for learning, travelling and taking on new challenges.

Cons

Often open offices are used (benefit for some I guess) and depending on which location you are in opportunities for switching projects or advancement may be limited.

Very ethical, market leading high tech business

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good place to work, strong values, business doing very well, good opportunities if you work hard. Employees are extremely friendly and culure is very open and relaxed

Cons

can be difficult to find people who will make a decision, still very US centric, growing consistently outside of the US but good proportion of the work force are based out of company HQ

Associate Engineer

Current Employee - Associate Engineer in Hyde, England
    Current Employee - Associate Engineer in Hyde, England

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1. Flexibility of time. But that doesn't matter in your initial days where your concern should be learning rather than anything else.
    2. Somewhat a little bit of high pay from other industries.
    3. Even if you cannot work you some get exposed or be aware of latest technologies and developments.
    4. The management spent a lot on external trainings which I see a very foolish way of spending money. They will come for a weeks training in India but you will not be able to focus completely because even that time you will be flooded with issues and CR's. Also the external trainers just focus on overview not on in depth knowledge. The senior people who already know things do not transfer it to juniors.
    5. Only good thing is to learn and acquire in depth knowledge from other companies and than join here on senior position such as Sr. Lead and above than you can enjoy working here.

Cons

1. Not a good place as a fresher.
    2. Focus is on closing the issue and tasks rather than learning.
    3. As a fresher very less help and knowledge transfer from seniors. I work in Hyderabad and I see a lot of favoritism in promotions and work etc.
    3. Most of the time freshers are put into triaging or stability or junk work which involves very less coding or nothing at all. Even a class 12th student can do that work. Even if they somehow get into some tech team they will not be getting any good work.

senior CE engineer

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (more than an year)

Pros

next expected chip manufacture in mobile area

Cons

us is head quater. uk handle limited roll

Challenging work, lots to learn; but long working hours

Former Employee - Interim Engineering in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England

I worked at Qualcomm

Pros

Good salary, good work culture

Cons

long working hours some times

It's chilled out - for an intern

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England

I worked at Qualcomm

Pros

IT was nice and chilled out, I had very little to do, we had a pool room and I probably spent more time playing pool than actually working. I wasn't given anything that was critical to work on so I could take as much time as I wanted essentially.

Cons

The team I was in was quite small and although close knit, I felt I was too young to be working there. The lack of real work got a little bit annoying sometimes. I think I could have handled more responsibilities even for an Intern given my background.

Engage the interns more! We heard very little from senior levels at Qualcomm during our time in Cambridge.

A good place to work - but only if you're based in San Diego

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Cambridge, East of England, England

I worked at Qualcomm

Pros

. Good benefits package
    . Reasonably flexible management
    . Relaxed work environment
    . Good opportunities for travel
    . A very good infrastructure for software development and good support staff

Cons

The senior management have a very strong San-Diego focus. If you're based outside of SD or, even worse, outside of the US get then you need to get used to being a second class corporate citizen.

The process for performance reviews is overly complicated, and the reviews themselves tend not to be very useful - mostly a box ticking exercise with no real useful feedback.

Have another look at your appraisal process - it's overly complex and time-consuming for managers and doesn't address the needs of many employees.

Don't rest on your laurels - The core chip business is going to come under more and more pressure over the next few years, the company should try harder to find other business opportunities.