Qualcomm Reviews

3.8
2,002 Reviews
Qualcomm CEO Steve Mollenkopf
Steve Mollenkopf

Pros
  • Great work-life balance if you're on the high-level software teams (in 131 reviews)

• Exposure of cutting edge technology, Fast paced environment (in 114 reviews)

Cons
  • Management does not seem to care about the work life balance of its employees (in 114 reviews)

• I worked extremely long hours without receiving even a 'thank you' in most cases (in 90 reviews)

1. Best Company To Work For

World leader in chip set design

Current Employee - PCB Design Engineer in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England

I have been working at Qualcomm

Pros

Very good company

Work hard and be the best

Cons

None

They treat you well, and make you feel wanted and part of the world organisation

Advice to Management

Part of a big company

2. Best Company I have ever worked for

Current Employee - Senior PCB Designer in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fantastic company
    who make you feel part of the organisation

Cons

None, everybody is part of a great team

Advice to Management

Managers all work well

3. You need to be in San Diego to get the best from Qualcomm

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time

Pros

Great people, cutting edge technology, plenty of innovation, your work goes into hundreds of millions of real devices, very open company culture. Salaries pretty good for UK engineering.

Cons

Career progression harder/slower if you are not located in (or have the opportunity to move to) San Diego. Poor work/life balance at times. Becoming increasingly 'corporate'.

Advice to Management

Think hard about making the best of the people you have outside of San Diego - especially offering the same kind of career progression and opportunities.

5. intimidating management who will do anything to achieve their goals

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Qualcomm

Pros

I worked in a multicultural work environment

Cons

intimidating management who will do anything to achieve their goals

good company to work for

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am working on cutting edge technologies and innovative projects. I got a bit of training from the company. I have a few perks such as health insurance. Colleagues are generally helpful and nice. I get to go to the gym at lunch time and Qualcomm pays half of it.

Cons

The office looks ugly and boring. The town of Farnborough is not a good place to live. It feels like the people working for Qualcomm in San Diego receive a much better treatment.

Engineering Intern

Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England

I worked at Qualcomm as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff, flexible hours, technically challenging work and a fair amount of free activities (music/sports) during lunch hours. Great opportunities to get patents and learn with the internal voluntary employee presentation scheme.

Cons

Poor middle management and work life balance - Management are over-subscribing work and the pressure piles on the lower roles. My team were working 12 hour shifts at times, and commonly arrive at 8am and still have an hour conference call to take at 6pm.

Internal politics are also a joke. Expect to rvsp managers into email to get a reply.

Advice to Management

Learn to say No to work.

Helps in shaping the current mobile industry

Current Employee - DSP Firmware Engineer in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England

I have been working at Qualcomm

Pros

Your designs are on billions of devices, great technology and engineering concepts applied on day by day basis, opportunity to enhance your curriculum, bonuses and stock options, you can work on challenging projects and schedules and meet some very smart guys (usually from the San Diego HQ)

Cons

Poor work life balance, internal career progression and salary increments are limited, lot of pressure to be handled on daily basis, in most cases middle and senior management end up just keeping status of projects instead of doing any actual work, too hectic environment

Advice to Management

Improve employee recognition otherwise after a couple of years you will lose your best employees

9. Very friendly atmosphere, great learning opportunities

Former Intern - Intern
    Former Intern - Intern

I worked at Qualcomm as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

challenging environment and friendly colleagues.

Cons

It was fun working as an intern

Like catching ebola, everyday.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England

I worked at Qualcomm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They pay an acceptable wage, erm they have tea and coffee facilities and toilets

Cons

No work life balance, middle management are a bunch of yes men, work was frustrating and largely unrewarding, Qualcomm only happy when all its employees are having mental breakdowns or divorces.
    They have managed through IPR and sharp practice to put all other mobility vendors out of business. Telecoms is now effectively a monopoly with Qualcomm holding all to ransom.
    Farnborough site of QCT is one of the most depressing places I've ever worked.

Advice to Management

I dunno - retire - surely you have enough money by now ? you've only got to kill Mediatek and you have ruled the world !

great company with truly global scale and ambitions

Former Employee - Business Development in London, England
    Former Employee - Business Development in London, England

I worked at Qualcomm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Talented staff, great learning programs and resources, top compensation levels, opportunity to impact billions of lives through the technology

Cons

Top heavy with too many 1) males, 2) engineers, 3) senior titles. Currently undergoing a cull to protect net income figures. Too centralised in San Diego - all other sites/employees are low on priority. Too much politics originating from senior VP's being there since the beginning.

Advice to Management

Bring in employees with more diverse backgrounds than engineering/finance/law, otherwise you risk losing your creative/innovative dna. Time to grow up from being a family firm to being a truly global company.