Qualcomm Reviews

Updated 27 April 2015
2004 reviews filtered by

1. Great Compay

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Qualcomm is a flexible and interesting company to work for. Typically work is fun with opportunities for learning, travelling and taking on new challenges.

Cons

Often open offices are used (benefit for some I guess) and depending on which location you are in opportunities for switching projects or advancement may be limited.

2. Very ethical, market leading high tech business

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good place to work, strong values, business doing very well, good opportunities if you work hard. Employees are extremely friendly and culure is very open and relaxed

Cons

can be difficult to find people who will make a decision, still very US centric, growing consistently outside of the US but good proportion of the work force are based out of company HQ

3. Associate Engineer

Current Employee - Associate Engineer in Hyde, England
    Current Employee - Associate Engineer in Hyde, England

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Flexibility of time. But that doesn't matter in your initial days where your concern should be learning rather than anything else.
    2. Somewhat a little bit of high pay from other industries.
    3. Even if you cannot work you some get exposed or be aware of latest technologies and developments.
    4. The management spent a lot on external trainings which I see a very foolish way of spending money. They will come for a weeks training in India but you will not be able to focus completely because even that time you will be flooded with issues and CR's. Also the external trainers just focus on overview not on in depth knowledge. The senior people who already know things do not transfer it to juniors.
    5. Only good thing is to learn and acquire in depth knowledge from other companies and than join here on senior position such as Sr. Lead and above than you can enjoy working here.

Cons

1. Not a good place as a fresher.
    2. Focus is on closing the issue and tasks rather than learning.
    3. As a fresher very less help and knowledge transfer from seniors. I work in Hyderabad and I see a lot of favoritism in promotions and work etc.
    3. Most of the time freshers are put into triaging or stability or junk work which involves very less coding or nothing at all. Even a class 12th student can do that work. Even if they somehow get into some tech team they will not be getting any good work.

5. senior CE engineer

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

next expected chip manufacture in mobile area

Cons

us is head quater. uk handle limited roll

6. Challenging work, lots to learn; but long working hours

Former Employee - Interim Engineering in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England

I worked at Qualcomm

Pros

Good salary, good work culture

Cons

long working hours some times

It's chilled out - for an intern

I worked at Qualcomm

Pros

IT was nice and chilled out, I had very little to do, we had a pool room and I probably spent more time playing pool than actually working. I wasn't given anything that was critical to work on so I could take as much time as I wanted essentially.

Cons

The team I was in was quite small and although close knit, I felt I was too young to be working there. The lack of real work got a little bit annoying sometimes. I think I could have handled more responsibilities even for an Intern given my background.

Advice to Management

Engage the interns more! We heard very little from senior levels at Qualcomm during our time in Cambridge.

A good place to work - but only if you're based in San Diego

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Cambridge, East of England, England

I worked at Qualcomm

Pros

. Good benefits package
    . Reasonably flexible management
    . Relaxed work environment
    . Good opportunities for travel
    . A very good infrastructure for software development and good support staff

Cons

The senior management have a very strong San-Diego focus. If you're based outside of SD or, even worse, outside of the US get then you need to get used to being a second class corporate citizen.

The process for performance reviews is overly complicated, and the reviews themselves tend not to be very useful - mostly a box ticking exercise with no real useful feedback.

Advice to Management

Have another look at your appraisal process - it's overly complex and time-consuming for managers and doesn't address the needs of many employees.

Don't rest on your laurels - The core chip business is going to come under more and more pressure over the next few years, the company should try harder to find other business opportunities.

Friendly, creative company, but as ruthless as any when the chips are down

I worked at Qualcomm

Pros

Good salaries; approachable management; friendly, informal working atmosphere; opportunities for creativity and innovation.

Cons

Project management can be chaotic; lack of business focus in some departments; projects are too engineering-led, often guided by chief engineers' hobby-horses rather than what the customers wants.

Finally, take Qualcomm's loud support for ethical business practice with a pinch of salt. It is a corporation, and its loyalty is to its shareholders, not its staff. In the Cambridge office we anticipated some downsizing, but were shocked by its speed and its scale.

Advice to Management

Given that the world economy is going to collapse completely in the next couple of years, I have no advice other than that they should take the money and run.

Good and fast growth comany

I have been working at Qualcomm

Pros

- fast growing business
    - reward hard working

Cons

- career movement can be slow
    - although a hi-tech company, thejob is not necessarily interesting

Advice to Management

- considering the google 20% style
    - satisfying employee not only by compensation, but by encouraging internal role shift

It's A Retirement Home

I have been working at Qualcomm

Pros

Good working environment - very flexible on hours, dress code.
    Work not too stressful..

Cons

Boredom, slow pace. Not enough work.

Advice to Management

Get more work! And get people talking to each other more.