R.R. Donnelley

Updated 13 December 2014
2.6

R.R. Donnelley President, CEO, and Director Tom Quinlan III
Tom Quinlan III

Pros
  • Work/life balance is very flexible and the office is very casual (in 15 reviews)

• needed a job the opportunity presented itself easy enough to learn good people that I (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay, poor application of IT technology, no 401K match last several years (in 25 reviews)

• The work-life balance was good as I worked for an agent of the corporate structure-Donnelley Logistics (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Poor IT systems and under resourced headcount made the work experience not so enjoyable

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at R.R. Donnelley as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The people were nice and I had a very positive understanding boss. Some interesting projects took place during my time here.

Cons

Poor IT systems and some convoluted workflow practices. The industry is in an older sector so not inspiring like newer industry sectors where I previously worked. The company runs on tight margins and is understaffed in certain departments leading to long work hours.

Uninspiring and boring company with an ancient culture

Former Employee - Sales Representative in London, England
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in London, England

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice easy job with very little pressure from management.

Cons

No sense of urgency. Lack of career development opportunities. Low pay. Bad management. Old industry culture not very inspiring.

Well designed, supportive resources, challenging enterprise and always learning new things

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Leicester, England
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Leicester, England

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than an year)

Pros

transparent fair system, with magnificent prospects. a wonderful team with lots to learn. all in all a positive good and open platform for comradery and bravado

Cons

this is the fairest of them all. people suck up and sink low. for power they will never attain.there is never a guarantee that your job is safe there. unless youre made permanent. then its harder to sack you.

have a happy time

it was a very good place to work for around 3 years but due to lack of resources following this it went down hill.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Tewkesbury, England
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Tewkesbury, England

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Wide variety of Clients and Accounts
    A lot of great and dedicated staff who it was a pleasure to work with
    Flexibility around working hours
    Good line Mgmt who gave you responsbility

Cons

Account Managers (Most but not all) are weak at negotiating with Clients resulting in projects been done cheaply and without resource commitments from the Client.
    Poor choices in Leadership roles in last few years have impacted the business

Invest in staff and do not put undue pressure on staff due to committing to works which the business cant resource.

The people you work with are the best part of the job

Current Employee - IT Manager
    Current Employee - IT Manager

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley

Pros

It is an alright place to work. Most of the employees are fun to work with and want to do a good job. Review process is good. Compensation is average.

Cons

Benefits have gone down significantly, with no 401k matching and minimal raises across the board. HR seems out of touch with the needs of the employees.

very good company,

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley

Pros

excellent working environment,no pressure,easy work

Cons

very less hike on its pay

provide scope for invention

very good experience

Current Employee - Financial Associate in Chennai (India)
    Current Employee - Financial Associate in Chennai (India)

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

excellence working environment , less pressure of work

Cons

no better hike in salary

improve the scope for invention, there are lots of manipulation if employee having some ideas

Alright Work Enviorment

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley

Pros

A lot of areas to work withing, various industries all under one RRD umbrellla

Cons

Each division is like its own desperate company. What they do in Logistics, they don't do in Printing etc. Each office has its own culture, but moving between them is expected to be easy.

Enjoyed IT

Former Employee - IT Guy
    Former Employee - IT Guy

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was a senior site-based IT support guy and had a really good experience. There was not too much overtime, on-call weeks happened only 4 times a year or so, and I felt really supported by my manager and supervisor. Also the Site IT structure, as an organization, I felt was really well run.

Cons

Not really a con per se, but companies of RRD's size absolutely rely on procedure and protocol for getting things done. SLA's are at stake and life is much easier if one knows the procedure and then follows it.

n/a

A total letdown company.

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible hours if needed. In the past there "were" opportunities to help out other teams within the company and travel to do so.

Cons

Poor benefits. 401k matching gone! No bonuses whatsoever for quite a few years now! no raises in the past few years! Not even an increase in pay to help with inflation! Poor morale for employees! If you have an issue and wish to speak to Human Resources about it, it is not kept confidential! Employees milk the company when they can due to lack of proper management. Employees on salary have been allowed to miss numerous days with pay and not be noticed or get caught, been happening for years. No relocation allowance/package available for employees wanting to seek out better opportunities within the company. Too many employees not being recognized for their strengths and others being promoted for no reason whatsoever. Company keeps growing and acquiring new businesses using hard earned employee's funds basically, by means from employee's deserved raises, bonuses and 401k matching.

Need to see that morale is quite low at times due to lack of management and poor opportunities within the company. Need to recognize strengths and weaknesses of others. Takes too long to rid a company of destructive and underperforming employees due to lack of management.

R.R. Donnelley Photos